Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nelson's Pillar - 46th anniversary

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Agreed. However, any quote should be read in context, and it is very easy to infer something quite different from the snippet you posted.
    FWIW, Nelson is not a hero of mine.

Well I find it interesting that you only question the context of a quote which does not support your own views - and let other quotes go by.

The quote I gave is the only ref to Nelson in the speech - which even as an aside, has its legitimacy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

It is impossible to take any of your posts seriously when you write unsourced drivel like the foregoing.

There is no evidence that the Navy was rampant with sodomy or gang rape. Sodomy was a hanging offense, under Article 28 of the Articles of War, the ‘rule book’ for life afloat. It was disliked by the men (a hanging brought disgrace on their ship) and with no privacy on a ship it was impossible. Where are your sources?

There is no evidence that Nelson was bisexual. Where are your sources?

Corporal punishment was the norm at the time and was not confined to the Navy.

Contrary to popular belief impressment was uncommon in Britain and there was a very long list of those exempt from impressment. It was almost unknown in Ireland. At the time of the Napoleonic wars about 95% of the Navy were volunteers, the 5% being criminals chosing the Navy over prison and impressed men. You might also consider that there was no conscription at that time, which in itself is impressment by another name.

Nelson was idolised by both his officers and men, and by the British people. Read contemporary accounts of his funeral. Where are your sources to the contrary?

You should read the three Quota Acts of the late 1700’s - you will note that Ireland was excluded. Best estimates arising from those Acts and other figures show that about 3% of the RN sailors were Irish. Despite rumours that the Navy was being filled with thousands of Irish rebels after the Insurrection Act of 1796, the best authorities have shown that a total of 115 men from both the United Irishmen and the Defenders were sent to the Navy between 1795 – 1797. If you want to prate about Nelson or the Royal Navy you should first read 'The Command of the Ocean' by N.A.M. Rodger which is generally acknowledged at THE book on the RN in the period 1649-1815.
    The guy who condemns my posts as " unsourced drivel " - and then goes on to write drivel without a single source to back it up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The guy who condemns my posts as " unsourced drivel " - and then goes on to write drivel without a single source to back it up :D

The Articles of War are freely available and should be evident as a source to anyone who has a modicum of wit.
    All the rest taken from NAM Rodger's book, quoted in my post above:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

The Articles of War are freely available and should be evident as a source to anyone who has a modicum of wit.

As per post 192.

It should be enough to comment on each others posts without the additions about "modicum of wit' or 'drivel'. I am not issuing an infraction for this but that is on the understanding that you and other posters return to the topic of the thread. You do not need to agree with each other but you both need to stop rubbishing each others posts as this ruins the thread on others. Any problems with this should be sent by PM rather than continuing in this thread.

Moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Johnny Be Goode

I have a chunk of the pillar. A now deceased family friend lived in the old flats above ( I presume now gone??) above CIE offices on O'Connell Street was able to pop out a grab a chunk. It has surface side. Years ago I tried to bring it into the museum but they said that all the pieces that were claimed to be part of the pillar that it would build a monument ten times the size of the actual pillar!

Advertisement