Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Smacks of desperation. Are they not getting enough applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Unless you’ve been living as a hobbit, how can you have missed the ongoing cancellations due to driver shortages at the three main PSO service operators since last summer?

If you watched the Oireachtas Committee hearings, you would have heard that there is a real problem hiring suitable staff.

Quite clearly Dublin Bus are being thoroughly aggressive in their recruitment now to try and fill the vacancies that currently exist and recruit staff for the next phases of BusConnects.

I never said I did miss the ongoing cancellations. I was wondering if the current aggressive recruitment campaign was having an affect on applications. You can be really sarcastic in your responses at times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, the massive labour shortage that's been affecting all industries hasn't abated. Dublin Bus, and GoAhead, are struggling to hire staff, and then struggling to keep staff.

Dublin Bus promised that they'd be aggressive in their recruitment drive, and so they are. I'd prefer if they didn't use in service buses as part of it, but they really are desperate, and under immense pressure from the Government, the opposition, the NTA, and the public at large, so I can fully understand why they're going down this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭howiya

Does being aggressive in their recruitment include increasing the salaries on offer?

Dublin Bus CEO tweeted that they were hiring yesterday and I'd a look at the ads. First thing I looked at was the money on offer. Certainly didn't inspire a career change.

The money probably isn't there yet but if a lack of public transport staff is an obstacle to achieving climate change goals then it needs to be funded.

• Advertisement

With respect it has been widely reported that there is a massive recruitment problem at the moment across service industries. Your original post came across to me as being surprised about this. Hence my reply.

Given that the campaign has only started, I don’t think anyone outside the company will know what the response rate is like.

As CatInABox states, Dublin Bus at the recent Oireachtas Transport Committee heating promised a rigorously aggressive recruitment campaign to try and hire staff.

Like other posters, I’m not a fan of using in-service displays but i can understand it.

But if insufficient numbers of drivers materialise from this campaign, then the onus is going to fall back on government to tackle the underlying societal issues.

I doubt it - a multi-year deal on pay & conditions has been agreed with the unions already.

There are wider societal issues at play, particularly the housing crisis, that are impacting on the ability of companies to hire staff.

Just throwing even more money at pay isn’t necessarily the solution as it fuels inflation. The underlying issues need addressing by government.

Well then I wouldn't agree that they are being aggressive in their recruitment.

Why is it inflation only gets referred to when we're talking about the wages of those at the lower end? Nobody mentions inflation when the Minister for Finance removed pay caps for senior staff at Bank of Ireland.

Drivers leave GAI for Dublin Bus. Pay being one of the reasons. Does this contribute to inflation?

The companies have to work within the funding that they receive from the State, and, in line with the Companies Acts, must be run in a manner which is responsible. They've agreed an affordable agreement with staff already.

With regard to inflation, and the impact on it of pay rises, you have to look at the physical numbers of staff involved. A large number of people receiving an above inflation pay rise would have a greater impact than your example of a small number of senior bankers (I don't necessarily agree with the removal of those pay caps incidentally). That's a fact of life whether you like it or not. Such pay awards can also cause follow-on demands from other industries with large numbers of staff which then has a mushrooming effect.

The companies realistically don't have that much wriggle room - they have to work within the budgets that they are set and as I say I think that until the Government tackle the underlying societal problems, then the issues will continue.

I did acknowledge that the money probably isn't there yet in my first post. If we're serious about modal shift and climate change goals then attracting enough drivers is crucial and funding should be increased accordingly.

While the example I presented was quite narrow the changes made to bankers pay aren't. From reports of the Dáil debate on the matter.

"Mr Martin said that there were 20,000 people working in retail banks and that this could result in bonuses for these employees.

“Why is the Opposition, including Sinn Féin, against ordinary workers in the banking sector from getting a pay rise?” he said."

That's a lot more people than Dublin Bus have or need driving for them and no mention of inflation resulting from pay rises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

The driving hiring section replaces the destination for about 20 seconds before the destination & via information come back up for considerably longer

It's only for a few seconds so don't see the issue with it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The housing crisis is basically the underlying cause of all staff shortages in all industries. If you are a bus driver or wannabe bus driver somewhere else in the world and willing to emigrate for work and you look at your options, you will quickly dismiss Dublin as an option. Bus driver salary 42,000. Monthly take home less than 3,000. Rent on an apartment is more than 2,000. So bam that option is out

What on earth are you claiming I have a low regard for drivers for?

My point was the housing crisis has made bus driving and many other jobs simply unaffordable for most people. When it comes to attracting new workers we're talking immigration because our domestic labour market cannot fill demand.

Please cease lying about me. I haven't posted any hate about anyone's pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Part of the reason also has to be how strict and lengthy the recruitment process is for DB in comparison to other bus operators particularly those in the UK.

I know people who have experience working as bus drivers in the UK and were rejected by DB makes no sense to me. Also a lot fail the medical due to weight issues. DB won't hire people above a certain BMI or with certain health conditions even if they can legally D licence that is ridiculous when you consider that bus driving has a high rate of obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Regarding timetables at bus stops, in this day and age, is it really beyond them to provide a digital display with the timetables? The information displayed would be linked to a central source meaning all timetables could be updated in minutes without anyone having to leave the office.

Surely something that should have been considered when designing new stops. Fixing the display onto RTPI poles, where available, would probably be the easiest thing, they also have power and network connections already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Who do you contact about bus stops - in terms of the physical set up of how wide the concrete area around it is?

With exit through centre doors only now pretty much mandatory, it's just unacceptable to be forced to step off into a soggy pile of mud multiple times a day due the area where the bus pulls in only having enough concrete or paving to cover the front doors. Where is it best to address this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I would probably take it up, nicely, with the bus driver directly. Ask to get off at the front door, if your stop has the mud issue frequently. Definitely not good enough.

Try these emails for DCC:

customerservices@dublincity.ie

ActiveTravelOffice@dublincity.ie

The NTA are responsible for bus stops these days .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm not hugely bothered by the display message. People don't necessarily even look at the number when boarding.

But the new in-bus voiceover message that "we are hiring" I do find irritating.

• Advertisement

The on-board announcement regarding hiring is to be dropped from use imminently. Apparently there have been reports of drivers being verbally abused by passengers using the wage amount on the announcements in a derogatory fashion, i.e.: that drivers were not worth that kind of wage.

I wonder what the public reaction would be if they knew how much inspectors were on.

Post edited by StreetLight on

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Personally I don't think having an announcement with a figure on was the smartest idea to be honest. Doesn't excuse abuse though.

Abusing staff is not acceptable period. People are entitled to do their day’s work without this kind of nonsense.

I think the whole campaign using the display and on board annoucements is silly when there is actual space on the buses provided for advertising.

Why not just put notices on the back of every bus like this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Far too many announcements in general (and then an as Gaeilge translation). Originally the system was supposed to just to announce what the next stop was. Surely not necessary to have messages about handrail usage, CCTV and a myriad of other things. My personal hate recently being 'there will be a short delay while the bus returns to schedule' which seems to get played on loop until the delay is over. Honestly once, twice is enough for this one.

When I heard the jobs one, my first thought was if it works will it become another medium of advertising. "Your bus journey today was in association with Tesco, Irelands leading supermarket, every little helps".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

I'd say they will eventually.

I don't think having it appear on the destos is a huge deal normally but i don't think it should appear on variants eg city centre "C" shorts or departures that take a different routing to the standard route like the 47 via Mount Merrion, for example.

It's more clutter to me. There's too much clutter on the destination displays anyway between putting Irish translations and via points. I prefer the way London does it and just has the route number and destination no via points or Irish translations (obviously). Another point I haven't seen hiring displays on the PAs only noticed it on the SGs and GTs.

I've seen the 63 sometimes use a display like below personally I think it's clearer and looks better than the usual displays on DB and GAI. Why not use a display like this on all routes and simply have the display simply alternate between Bearla and Gaelige.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

Broadstone PAs definitely have it and I think Summerhill ones too.

Dun Laoghaire is displayed in bigger font as it's spelt the same in Irish and English. That was always what CIE used to do with place names that were the same in both languages. Dun Laoghaire (as above), Rialto, Marino and Willington all spring to mind as examples off the top of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭DUBLINBUSGUY

Advertisement