Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a FREE online or Youtube fitness course/regime?

• 10-01-2021 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭

So new year, new me and all that. The time has come to lose this flab that has accumulated over the past couple of years, entirely my own fault. With that, and with the whole gym situation at the moment, does anybody have any tried and true online/YT recommendations for a free workout that keeps motivation, gets results and is sustainable? I'm thinking of things like Insanity or P90x, both of which would probably be too difficult for me right now as I am completely unfit, but that sort of thing.

I'm female, mid-40's, probably need to lose about 40/50lbs and tone up. Will also try my best to stick to a varied and healthy eating plan.

Any personal recs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

For your numbers I wouldn't recommend any video programmes, especially not Insanity, P90X - they are hard, not sustainable because at your level they will exhaust you and the burn is surprisingly not that high... I wouldn't discount the risk of joint damage either.

I used to wear a HR strap for the likes of the programmes you mentioned, for the regular gym, for bootcamp and for outdoor activities; (provided that your eating is under control) for best calorie burn you should get out power walking. You can do it every day, you can do it for longer, it's better for your joints and it doesn't trigger your appetite as much. You're getting fresh air and vit D too. Especially if you have any hills nearby, the calorie burn from incline walks is surprisingly high, but even flat walks can be revved up with good steady pace. Once I lost a size simply by walking for hours every day when I took a three week holiday to New York (even with all the lovely food I had).

Find a walking challenge on social media to motivate you, get some good music or podcasts and your extra pounds should melt off quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Thanks a mill. Yeah I wasn't going attempt Insanity etc because I knew I'd collapse after the warm-up at my current level of fitness lol! I do get out and walk if the weather isn't too crappy but I could certainly ramp up the intensity/speed.

I'd like to tone up (my bingo wings especially!) so maybe a pair of not-too-heavy dumbells might be a good investment, and a fitbit or something similar might be a good idea too?...

I'm just looking to get started really, minus the gym. I'm a little at sea on my own and find it hard to keep motivated and push myself during a workout without classes, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

To tone up a bodyweight challenge would be good; all you need for your arms and shoulders to get stronger and look the part is pushups and tricep dips really, no need to buy any equipment at this point, unless you can do them easily.

A fitbit could help you investigate what gives you your best calorie burn (if you just want the steps your phone can count them too) but ideally you should get one with heart rate function. It's educational and motivating to see how certain aspects of your activity such as walking on the incline, or adding intensity to your walk increase your results. Do you have someone to do Fitbit challenges with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill. Yeah I wasn't going attempt Insanity etc because I knew I'd collapse after the warm-up at my current level of fitness lol! I do get out and walk if the weather isn't too crappy but I could certainly ramp up the intensity/speed.

I'd like to tone up (my bingo wings especially!) so maybe a pair of not-too-heavy dumbells might be a good investment, and a fitbit or something similar might be a good idea too?...

I'm just looking to get started really, minus the gym. I'm a little at sea on my own and find it hard to keep motivated and push myself during a workout without classes, etc.

I'd recommend investing in bands. Dumbbells are expensive and you need to buy a few different weights to have any versatility.

Here's some beginner push-up progressions you could try in the mean time:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_c4HQUnw80/

Try https://www.youtube.com/c/SydneyCummings/videos OP. Scaleable - with beginner options highlighted, different and it's decently programmed. There's a new free session every day - and she mixes them up so there's a split between strength and cardio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I am doing EPIC Program by NI Fitness Instructor Caroline Girvan on YouTube. She does a beginner course using minimal equipment/ bodyweight or does a more advanced version of the course using dumbbells bands etc. These are daily about 30 -40 mins and are free.

I was doing CrossFit x2/3 weekly up until last March and would have been fairly fit and while I kept the cardio side up with running and the odd HIIT I had let the weights fall by the wayside so I started with the beginners program (which is still a challenge for me) and plan on completing the more advanced one after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

dont underestimate walking in terms of sustainability

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

silverharp wrote: »

Best advise in this thread. Forget about a fitbit and buy a good rain jacket and some layers for walking in the cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭brick tamland

silverharp wrote: »

Yep, starting tracking your steps and your calories. All can be easily done from smartphone. Great place to start

Advertisement