Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

This picture from the calfing camera might be of help. Calfing gate is hinged on the left hand size. Headlock is on that side too. I will post a better picture when I get home from work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

First one calved here today, about 6 weeks early, tiny dead heifer. Not a good start:(

On the plus side, plenty of milk for the pet lambs:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭squinn2912

First one calved here today, about 6 weeks early, tiny dead heifer. Not a good start:(

I feel your pain! Same thing here making me a bit over concerned for the next ones. Two heifers in the pens and 3 cows on any day alert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭emaherx

Lost one of the twins after days of being up and down and the mother won't take the other.

Have 4 more due in next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

1st of 2020 dropped at 1am this morning, did'nt think she was in calf up until 3 weeks ago. Grand bull calf.
    No more due for about 4 to 5 weeks.

• Advertisement

I feel your pain! Same thing here making me a bit over concerned for the next ones. Two heifers in the pens and 3 cows on any day alert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

emaherx wrote: »
    Lost one of the twins after days of being up and down and the mother won't take the other.

Have 4 more due in next few days.
    Feck it, unfortunately it never looked good for the little one.
    On the flip side you have a pet that you've got to feed at least twice daily :). Best of luck with it and I would suggest buying a good skim based cmr for it. At least 50% or if you want to go all out then a few bags of Shine Once a Day. It can be fed twice, three times a day just follow the mixing instructions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

3 so far here all early due to testing last week. 1st Feb is the start on paper. 2 heifers and a bull one of the heifers was a full month early but doing fine so hopefully will develop away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,829 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

20 calved here. One born dead. Not really supposed to be starting until February 1st. Got caught with a few not dried long enough for antibiotics and these both held their cleanings too

Mooooo wrote: »
    3 so far here all early due to testing last week. 1st Feb is the start on paper. 2 heifers and a bull one of the heifers was a full month early but doing fine so hopefully will develop away

Did the earlies clean properly? My girl is a bit dirty but I'll leave her a while before I do anything but I reckon there's still some cleanings left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Mooooo wrote: »

Nothing calves here ,should have nothing till Feb 6 but end of week looking like it could be busy ....tb testing tomorrow as well so should help it along as well I hate tb testing but even more so this time of year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Did the earlies clean properly? My girl is a bit dirty but I'll leave her a while before I do anything but I reckon there's still some cleanings left.

The one that calved a month early cleaned fine. Cow yday 2 weeks early hasn't cleaned fully. Today's has, she was 11 days early

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

5 calves here since last Friday. Think we have one with atresia coli, hasn’t passed anything in coupe of days and not keen to drink. Anyone have any experience with it? Vet says calf will do no good. Gave him liquid paraffin but no joy. Don’t think there’s much else to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Sorry to hijack the thread, I had a young heifer calve and the calf has femoral nerve paralysis, vet says he seen worse cases than it and reckons the calf could come ok, did anyone else ever have a calf with this and if so did it come ok?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Sorry to hijack the thread, I had a young heifer calve and the calf has femoral nerve paralysis, vet says he seen worse cases than it and reckons the calf could come ok, did anyone else ever have a calf with this and if so did it come ok?

A neighbor had the same thing diagnosed in a calf last spring, the vet said there wasn't much he could do and to let nature take it's course. The calf started out a bit lame at few weeks old and this has gotten more progressive as he's aged. If he's left to his own devices he can put some weight on it when walking at his own pace. However any excitement and it starts to spasm, he holds the affected hind leg out straight behind him when this happens and only drags the toe along the ground.

Having said that he's a nervous little hoor and is well able to get about with the cow and has no problem lying down or rising. As for the long-term outcome it's hard to say and perhaps it'll get worse as he gets heavier, he'll probably be butchered if he gets to a suitable weight. I wouldn't give up hope in your case just yet but as I said to my neighbor if it starts to overly impact there quality of life then perhaps euthanasia needs to be considered, I wish you the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

A neighbor had the same thing diagnosed in a calf last spring, the vet said there wasn't much he could do and to let nature take it's course. The calf started out a bit lame at few weeks old and this has gotten more progressive as he's aged. If he's left to his own devices he can put some weight on it when walking at his own pace. However any excitement and it starts to spasm, he holds the affected hind leg out straight behind him when this happens and only drags the toe along the ground.

Having said that he's a nervous little hoor and is well able to get about with the cow and has no problem lying down or rising. As for the long-term outcome it's hard to say and perhaps it'll get worse as he gets heavier, he'll probably be butchered if he gets to a suitable weight. I wouldn't give up hope in your case just yet but as I said to my neighbor if it starts to overly impact there quality of life then perhaps euthanasia needs to be considered, I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the response, will see how it goes.

Had two like that one from birth the other joint ill. Vet was saying he’d be happy enough to put him down that we’d tried everything. He came into about £1200 and lived a very happy life. Some extra provisions were needed so he and a heifer with a foot issue were paired up. Glad we gave him his chance.

We've had one or two over the years, time and a bit of TLC will tell a lot. We had them in a small pen by themselves and they recovered fairly quickly to join the rest of the calves in a few weeks.

Give her a chance if you can manage the pair on their own for a while would be my call.

We’re up and running here. Easy pull on a heifer and she had a nice, lively lim bull calf. Thank God to be started and get one landed!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

we have 22 calved here, the cow who is third on the to calve is now not far from 3 weeks over time with not a sign of springing. Vet was here the other day treating a sick cow and handled her and she is in calf, we don't run a bull but perhaps a neighbours bull hopped the fence.

whats the longest you have had a dairy breed overtime?

• Advertisement

we have 22 calved here, the cow who is third on the to calve is now not far from 3 weeks over time with not a sign of springing. Vet was here the other day treating a sick cow and handled her and she is in calf, we don't run a bull but perhaps a neighbours bull hopped the fence.

Could she have repeated and serve wasn't recorded?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Madisonmenece

whelan2 wrote: »
    Could she have repeated and serve wasn't recorded?

we were hoping that and checked with the AI, the farm diary and I had an excel of all the calving dates from the dockets at the end of the bulling period which was formed from all the technicians dockets... unless it has really fallen through a gap.

to be fair she is fairly full looking..but not an ounce of springing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Grand bit of a heifer this morning.

Grand bit of a heifer this morning.

As a local auctioneer would say "super suckler". If I was ever to relocate within the country then I'd probably end up in the Banner, just rock, Shorthorn cow's, the jeep and myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

As a local auctioneer would say "super suckler". If I was ever to relocate within the country then I'd probably end up in the Banner, just rock, Shorthorn cow's, the jeep and myself.

No dog...............no?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

We had a cow years ago that didn't show any spring when we thought she was due. Got the vet to handle her and he said she was in calf, waited another few months and vet was out again so he handled her again, he said she still seemed to be in calf, but what he thought it was that the calf had mummified inside her. So keep an eye on her and get her handled again in 6 weeks or so if there is no sign of her springing.

No dog...............no?

The beloved is more in charge of the dog's, they'd come as a given with the better half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

The beloved is more in charge of the dog's, they'd come as a given with the better half.

But ya mentioned her either

Reggie. wrote: »
    But ya mentioned her either

I'm assuming that was meant to say you didn't mention her, tbh the better half does as much to finance and run the whole set-up as I do so her presence would be a given from the start. I'd manage the farming on my own but the house would most definitely fall down around me if I was left to my own devices.

• Advertisement

Lads can anyone advise me on calving cameras? I want something installed ASAP obviously. The house is maybe 150 meters from the shed. Phone reception in the shed is ok but not reliable 3G. A lot of adds from Equicom around me. I’m not that tech savvy so a simple answer please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Do you have proper broadband in the house? Do you want to watch it remotely on your phone or just on a screen in the house

Do you have proper broadband in the house? Do you want to watch it remotely on your phone or just on a screen in the house

Yea I have broadband and I’d need to watch it on the phone. Thanks

I got cameras off Equicom and very happy with them. My shed is 150m from house. Transmitter on roof of shed, receiver in the house with a direct line of sight between them. They are very easy to deal with and any issues can be sorted out over the phone

I got cameras off Equicom and very happy with them. My shed is 150m from house. Transmitter on roof of shed, receiver in the house with a direct line of sight between them. They are very easy to deal with and any issues can be sorted out over the phone

Do you mind telling me what you paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Number 6 landed last night. First bull calf of the year, unassisted and calf was up sucking in about 20 mins.
    I'm about a month ahead of where I was this time last year. Kinda hope they keep coming at a nice steady pace now to get it over as soon as possible. Although I know I will have a couple that will not go till April at least.

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Do you mind telling me what you paid?
    Think I gave about 500 for 2 cameras ,transmitter ,receiver,DVR box, multiplex box and cables. Can watch it on tv and phones. Have it a few years now. Might upgrade the cameras next year as they are a few years old now

Cow that fell into slurry tank before Christmas calved this evening. Fr bull all good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭emaherx

2 heifers calved last night unassisted and watching 2 more. Have 8 first calvers this year so will be glad when calving is over, but it's only starting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Dunedin

7 calved here so far and all good thank God.

Think I gave about 500 for 2 cameras ,transmitter ,receiver,DVR box, multiplex box and cables. Can watch it on tv and phones. Have it a few years now. Might upgrade the cameras next year as they are a few years old now

Phoned up about one yesterday and the fella reckons around £600. Seems reasonable enough.

• Advertisement

Phoned up about one yesterday and the fella reckons around £600. Seems reasonable enough.
    That's seems good. It's a few years since I got them. You will easily fit them yourself

That's seems good. It's a few years since I got them. You will easily fit them yourself

Well that’s with all fitted I think I’ll watch an expert doing it the first time!

Well that’s with all fitted I think I’ll watch an expert doing it the first time!

Great value if that includes fitting

Great value if that includes fitting

Hopefully he’s coming to do a survey this week. Might get all done.

Second calf on the ground today. Heifer calved a nice lim heifer calf. Great and lively. Two new cows in the maternity ward tonight

Started in earnest last night, a ZLL bull off one of the polys and a FR4803 bull off a second calver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Stared here Friday 24 Jan. Only heifers (all synced) calving so far

We had one assist, calf upside down but quickly sorted and most importantly heifer cleaned herself.

Heifers on the ground slightly ahead of male calves. Will move all heifers >5 days old to auto feeder on Monday with bulls >7 days going to separate shed on an ad-lib whole milk feeder.

Cows due to start 7/2 but likely will have a few calved today. I hope so as colostrum running low

Another new heifer calf overnight no issues. Quick clean up and switch around and there’s a another girl in the pen that will calve later today

Had a cow calved this morning. Did milking etc went to football. Came back and she had a waterbag out. Handled her 2 legs. No head. Definitely front legs. Got vet hard job to get head. Calf was dead. A fr bull. Other calf was a fr bull too. Sexed .....

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had a cow calved this morning. Did milking etc went to football. Came back and she had a waterbag out. Handled her 2 legs. No head. Definitely front legs. Got vet hard job to get head. Calf was dead. A fr bull. Other calf was a fr bull too. Sexed .....

That’s just sh1tty. Sorry to hear it. Cow ok?

Number 4 just landed. Best calf yet a black bull out of black lim cow but I think hell redden a bit when he dries out. Perfect condition for calving and the threw him out herself. 2 more any time but not tonight then there’s a break for a week or so I think. Great chance to get pens ready and cleaned up. Hope it continues like this

• Advertisement
Advertisement