Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Gonna bust out some classic PS2 horror over the weekend. Haunting Grounds first up with Clock Tower 3 and Rule of Rose time permitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Playing Ridge Racer on PSP. This is the first time I've played a PSP since the screen went dodgy on mine in 2007/08!

Man this takes me back. It was such a big deal to me at the time. Huge screen, PS2 graphics, it meant business. I remember watching loads of unboxings and reading all the reviews just to see pictures.

I'm looking forward to playing all the games I missed out on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭Inviere

Getting pretty frustrated with Mario 2 now :( It can be very cheap where it places respawning enemies (spiders, and bullets), the controls can be twitchy and unresponsive at crucial moments (I think I might detest the digging sections), and it's a big stinking pile of poo of a game*

*yes I've just died on 7-2 :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Playing Ridge Racer on PSP. This is the first time I've played a PSP since the screen went dodgy on mine in 2007/08!

Man this takes me back. It was such a big deal to me at the time. Huge screen, PS2 graphics, it meant business. I remember watching loads of unboxings and reading all the reviews just to see pictures.

I'm looking forward to playing all the games I missed out on :)

The only part of Ridge Racer on the PSP that I didn't like was the addition of boosting, which turned up in RR6 on the 360.

Inviere wrote: »
    Getting pretty frustrated with Mario 2 now :( It can be very cheap where it places respawning enemies (spiders, and bullets), the controls can be twitchy and unresponsive at crucial moments (I think I might detest the digging sections), and it's a big stinking pile of poo of a game*

*yes I've just died on 7-2 :mad:

Annnnnnnnd done. One continue used (a save state used merely to save the game between one day and the next, as my aged patience can't cope with games much longer than 45 mins these days :o)

IMG-20200706-153536.jpg

Truth be told I've come to enjoy the game :o I think it has flaws in terms of some of its mechanics being not as refined as they could be, but all told, yeah, I got to like it as time went on.

Thinking Resident Evil 2 next, before I tackle Super Mario 3 :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well done. I need to finish it myself and Mario 3!

I think the biggest hang up is comparing Mario 2 to other mario games. It's not as well designed and feels totally alien.

However if you take it out of context of the Mario games it really is a top tier NES platformer with really interesting level design and play mechanics.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    However if you take it out of context of the Mario games it really is a top tier NES platformer with really interesting level design and play mechanics.

I'd have to agree with that, despite my previous expressions of dislike of the game. Strangely, I'll miss playing it now!

I might revisit the trilogy via the All Stars format at a later date!

It is good to hear different perspectives on game I made my mind up about years ago but never spoke to anyone about their impressions on it, I always felt Super Mario bros 2 was a far better game than Super Mario bros, less liner, more variety of character, horizontal as well as vertical gameplay and being able to pick up items was a game changer.

Just coming back to this, now that I've got comfortable with & beat the game...I'm a lot more fond of it now. I don't feel it's a better game than SMB 1, but it's still a damn fine game (despite it's flaws...it's damned cheap at times!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Just coming back to this, now that I've got comfortable with & beat the game...I'm a lot more fond of it now. I don't feel it's a better game than SMB 1, but it's still a damn fine game (despite it's flaws...it's damned cheap at times!)

Yep, bizarre game considering the series, but really good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

3 is next then obv, I dont think I've ever completed 2 or 3

• Advertisement

Annnnnnnnd done. One continue used (a save state used merely to save the game between one day and the next, as my aged patience can't cope with games much longer than 45 mins these days :o)

It wasn't sitting right with me having used a continue and a save-state....so went back to it yesterday. Finished it in one sitting...it's mad how better you get at a game through practice. When I started it first I think I died on the first world....flew through it this time until world 7, lost a few lives on silly mistakes, and beat the game. Took a bit over an hour I think, but I can happily move on now knowing I did it 'properly'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Try explaining that to soulsborne haters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 DRSEire

Hagane and some king of demons on the sfc. Loving both😊

Thinking Resident Evil 2 next

Tank controls!!!! Nooooooo...I completely forgot :( Could be a deal breaker

• Registered Users Posts: 34,482 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Tank controls are pure 90s, enjoy the nostalgia!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Tank controls are pure 90s, enjoy the nostalgia!

Made it about 7 mins in and died :( Garbage controls are garbage :mad:

I'll have another go tomorrow maybe, really want to enjoy the game so just have to wait for the controls to click with my brain! I completely forgot about tank controls, having been spoiled by the REmake on PC. Nice atmosphere in the opening few minutes of the game though :cool:

I never had an issue with tank controls but then again I learned them through desert strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

'Borrowed' a copy of Gran Turismo on PSP as I never played it before. Doesn't have a career mode or proper car upgrades so I'm unsure if I'll pick up a copy but I must say, it handles quite well given the lack of triggers and a proper analogue stick. Cars have a nice weight to them. Only downside is I can't see an option to disable ABS but at least other assists can be turned off.

Looks quite good too, fair selection of tracks also. Daily dealerships should see me driving different cars more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Tank controls are great, adds a certain "charm" to the old resident evils

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Tank controls are great, adds a certain "charm" to the old resident evils

About the same amount of 'charm' that using an RF cable for display gives :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I loved the first Resident Evil because the environment was so interesting and there was more of an emphasis on puzzles. With 2 and 3 it got more action set piece focused and I think that's where the tank controls began to let it down. The stilted controls made more sense in a suspense setting than an action one.

Pretty much the only game I've been playing the last 3 months is GT Sport. I hadn't played Gran Turismo since no. 2 and now I've pretty much 100%-ed GT Sport (getting gold on a full lap of the Nurbergring is the only damned thing I can't do) I'm dying to play a full offline Gran Turismo again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I played the first one, on the Playstation, because it was the biggest game on the planet, at that time.
    The coverage in the printed media was complete and then it was getting other publicity because of the horror aspects of the game and the reports of cuts in the PAL version over the Biohazard original.
    The controls were par for the course at the time.
    The closest progenitor to the game was Alone in the Dark and it's sequel, which I played on the 3DO a few years before, and it had all the elements, including the controls, that RE enjoyed, the biggest difference were the pre-rendered backgrounds, better textures and the shift from a HP Lovecraft setting (AitD) to a Romero one (RE).

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭barryribs

I never had a problem with tank controls, they suit the older games perfectly and found them natural on REmake on the GC and ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Is emulation taboo on this thread? :) fired up SimCity on the SNES on a RetroFlag GPi PiZero...and yes, I did the cheat already :D fun game still.

Also learned there was a planned NES version which was canned, more info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭accensi0n

"beat" A boy and his blob on the NES.
    There's some brokenness in the game that allows you to get to the end in a few minutes. You can access areas of the game you probably weren't meant to, move the sprite back through the end credits screen and the like, pretty funny looking.
    See here for example: https://youtu.be/j4aZfyUBSqc

IMAG1784.jpg

IMAG1783.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Bought Virtua Racing on switch and having a great time with it despite being useless at any video game that isn't an RPG. Managed to get to the finish line on all three tracks though I've still only gotten first on the first track. Between it and watching Drive to Survive on Netflix I'm tempted to try one of the recent F1 games since I've learnt they're not really sims and the last one two have had decent story modes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

After reminding myself how good it was on another thread I'm playing John Madden football on the Megadrive. Okay on a pi, but it's in the retro flag MD case with the Blast 16 frontend if that cuts me some slack.

Great fun, and more or less pick up and play, a far cry from modern sports sims.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Old school maddden (and NFL Blitz) worked really well as games and were lots of fun. It's when they started to make those games sims that they just forgot how to be fun.

I wish I didn't sell Mutant League Football... Not that I was ever any good at it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Old school maddden (and NFL Blitz) worked really well as games and were lots of fun. It's when they started to make those games sims that they just forgot how to be fun.

You've hit the nail on the head, I drifted away from most sports games after the 16 bit era for that very reason.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement