Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I had NBA Live 10 on 360 which was good to pick up and play. Got it after playing the demo, myself and my sister would actually play quick games a good bit. I got NBA 2K16 with PS Plus and found it too complicated, had to look up a few things and found a guy with a huge YouTube series on how to play. Feck that.

The simplicity is one of the reasons I've picked up a few sports titles on the Mega Drive.

Which reminds me I haven't played that NBA game I got on the Saturn yet, must have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

A little bit of Kirby this evening!

519929.png

• Registered Users Posts: 34,594 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

With all the Mario clearing talk without warp pipes, I though I'd give it a go myself last night on my Famicom.

Was absolutely blitzing through the game, had only died once, got really cocky and though I was going to do it. Until I hit 6-4!

Had the same flower power for about 10 levels and that cockiness was actually helping as I was taking mad chances and getting it every time.

6 lives on 6-4. Lots to play with. At least I thought.

First run through 6-4 I took a knock on one of those rotating fireball arms and lost my flower power, then got clipped by Bowser at the end and died.

'okay, you still have 6 lives left, no big deal'

I could not for the life of me do it! getting the mushroom at the start is an absolute pain in the tits with a high probability of catching a fireball. So a few times I tried to get it and died and the remaining lives I skipped it, went straight to Bowser but fluffed it there.

Was absolutely raging as the rest of the game up until that point had seemed relatively simple in comparison.

Glad I read the tip here about collecting as many coins as possible though, I never realised how stingy the game was with extra lives!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Inviere

^^ cool, keep us posted with your progress!

Master of the Universe

Will do! I think I'll give it a lash daily after work, it's such a great little hit of pure gaming.

Forgot how tight the controls are in it. Every death is 100% your own fault :D

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Will do! I think I'll give it a lash daily after work, it's such a great little hit of pure gaming.

It really is isn't it? Pure, simple, fun (nervous breakdowns aside). I'd a LOT of fun working towards a no warp run, despite desires to throw the controller through the tv at times...it's a little world of its own really, just 32 levels and you...the player. Simple eh? :o
    Forgot how tight the controls are in it. Every death is 100% your own fault :D

They nailed every aspect of the game, controls are faultless. It's what partially annoyed me about Mario 2...the control mechanics can be just a tad twitchy, sometimes at crucial moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

My "must get back to that" pile.

IMG-20200715-093821.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Worlds 6, 7 and 8 are the ones that will eat through your lives. Once you get good the ones before that are where you try to pick up as many lives as possible for the.... gauntlet.

Inviere wrote: »
    Tank controls!!!! Nooooooo...I completely forgot :( Could be a deal breaker

Ok only getting back to this today, and I'm doing much better now. I've switched to the dpad on the controller, instead of the analogue stick (I really should use my proper GC controller and Wii U adapter with Dolphin).

Literally only a baby step, but I made it to the Police Station this time, got the key card, unlocked the hallway doors, and saved. The controls are becoming more intuitive, and I'm able to dodge and evade enemies now.

One thing about the game, it starts off WAY more intense than RE1 does...you're using the gun far sooner into this game than the original. Kinda relived to reach the Police Station, where the intensity dies down a bit (for now anyway, no doubt there's pain behind the next door!).

But yeah, I think I can stick this out :)

^^ and World 1 of SMB 3 completed there. I'll prob go between these two games for a while, as they're so different when you need a break from one, the other is there waiting.

SMB 3 movement physics different again, so taking some time to get used to them. Making some silly mistakes, but Nintendo once again nail the format with the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Treppen

Streets of Rage 4 on Xbox gamepass. Brings back memories, and many 10p coins inserted.

Master of the Universe

Day two of Mario 1, didn't do as well this evening unfortunately.

Didn't lose a life till 5-3, but lost my fire flower at the start of 5-4 and was boned after that. 6 attempts at 5-4 but fecked it up each time. It's insane as I flew threw it on my first attempt yesterday.

It's actually quite jarring how much harder the game is when you can't fire fireballs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Darbian can finish that in 5 and a half minutes. How are you taking two days?

Master of the Universe

Tell Darbian to stop cheating by using warp pipes, then we can talk! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Made it to 8-4 this evening myself, all the way to the boss.
    Small mario, one life left, miss-timed the rush and that's all she wrote.

Master of the Universe

Ah no way, well done!

So close...the controller would have at least gone against the wall I think :D

Actually luckily I'm using one of those Hudson Famicom controllers that connects up to the exe port on the front.

I can only imagine how many famicoms have gone flying through the air over the years due to the hardwired controllers :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Playing Pokémon Yellow via the 3DS VC any chance I get.

So addictive.

I have Pokémon Crystal for when I'm finished with it. Not sure if there is a way to bring your G1 Pokémon over to G2 but I'll see when I cross that bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Playing Pokémon Yellow via the 3DS VC any chance I get.

So addictive.

I have Pokémon Crystal for when I'm finished with it. Not sure if there is a way to bring your G1 Pokémon over to G2 but I'll see when I cross that bridge.

Great Game, i occasionally play Pokemon Blue every now and again with different pokemon setups. Gold/Silver are both really good games too.

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Great Game, i occasionally play Pokemon Blue every now and again with different pokemon setups. Gold/Silver are both really good games too.

It's funny. Yellow was made with Pikachu as the forefront - the mascot, thanks to the Anime, yet I've barely used him, and have instead focused a lot of my time on each of the three Pokemon you start with in R/B.

The only thing that kinda sucks is I won't be able to get certain Pokémon due to version exclusives. It's always been that way I guess.

At least in new Pokémon games nowadays you have online connectivity so having one version isn't as different an experience as it used to be. Just trade with a stranger and there you go.

It's funny. Yellow was made with Pikachu as the forefront - the mascot, thanks to the Anime, yet I've barely used him, and have instead focused a lot of my time on each of the three Pokemon you start with in R/B.

The only thing that kinda sucks is I won't be able to get certain Pokémon due to version exclusives. It's always been that way I guess.

At least in new Pokémon games nowadays you have online connectivity so having one version isn't as different an experience as it used to be. Just trade with a stranger and there you go.

I was the same, when i played yellow, i did not use pikachu at all, he was only there to use flash etc...the exclusives really annoyed me on the originals :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pikachu is cute and all but he is kind of a rubbish pokemon. Good luck using him when you come up against Brock and his rock types in that first gym. You can't be saved by the anime's sprinkler system in the game!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pikachu is cute and all but he is kind of a rubbish pokemon. Good luck using him when you come up against Brock and his rock types in that first gym. You can't be saved by the anime's sprinkler system in the game!

Oh I was there. And it was a f'cking nightmare. I spent ages grinding the hell out of my pokemon's XP before going into that gym. I was nearly ready to peace out from it after that but it got better. I'm after finishing Lavender Town now

Kinda wanna play one of the originals now...might give gold or silver a run through

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

A link to the Past on SNES,I am on the two headed boss with the Ice on one side and fire on the other, very annoying because with out magic you can not do anything. I have not finished the game since the late 90s so forgot so much.

Master of the Universe

Recently got the Data East SNES compilation cartridge, strange little multi cart recently releases by Retro bit.

Contains both Magical Drop SNES releases which are insanely addictive, along with Side Pocket which must have the best 16 bit Jazz soundtrack ever created.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Recently got the Data East SNES compilation cartridge, strange little multi cart recently releases by Retro bit.

Contains both Magical Drop SNES releases which are insanely addictive, along with Side Pocket which must have the best 16 bit Jazz soundtrack ever created.

It's kind of odd, when we start getting "official" reproductions from companies, and even, in this case, an "official" multi-cart.
    It's like they are trying to play Aliexpress at their own game!

Playing more Bangai-O on the 360 while I was in the parents. Playing the super hard post game missions. Having some fun with it but some missions end with the final boss of the main game, Crazy King, and he is a complete prick and find it very frustrating go through a tough level only for him to kick my ass again. Have had to create a training level for myself to practice how to beat him.

Also really not looking forward to the final level which is insanely long and ends in a a crazy king fight.... followed by two Crazy Kings at the same time....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Playing more Bangai-O on the 360 while I was in the parents. Playing the super hard post game missions. Having some fun with it but some missions end with the final boss of the main game, Crazy King, and he is a complete prick and find it very frustrating go through a tough level only for him to kick my ass again. Have had to create a training level for myself to practice how to beat him.

Also really not looking forward to the final level which is insanely long and ends in a a crazy king fight.... followed by two Crazy Kings at the same time....

I have that on the DC and the DS, manic stuff!
    I must see if I have it on the Everdrive for the 64 as well.
    I *think* I have it on the 360... must have a look... will that be playable then on the Xbox One, I wonder?

The Dreamcast version is an improved port of the N64 game.

Bangai-O Missile Fury is unfortunately not on the backwards compatibility list so i have to play it on my 360.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's kind of odd, when we start getting "official" reproductions from companies, and even, in this case, an "official" multi-cart.
    It's like they are trying to play Aliexpress at their own game!

Do you remember when Beggar Prince was first announced? A 'New' game for a 16 bit console. The idea at the time was absolutely mental and almost seen as absurd by many.

It's crazy to think how much the retro scene has exploded since then, so much so that modern 'new' releases for old consoles are just seen as a regular thing now.

Actually, that crazy thing has happened again. Beggar Prince was released in 2006 as a 'new game for a retro console', 9 years after the Megadrive ceased production.

It's 14 years since Beggar Prince was released...
    The Dreamcast version is an improved port of the N64 game.

Bangai-O Missile Fury is unfortunately not on the backwards compatibility list so i have to play it on my 360.

Is that download only? Would love to give it a go but I can't see any copies on ebay.

Advertisement