Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2019/20

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,910 ✭✭✭✭CSF

manual_man wrote: »
    We'll see. Though he's started the last 4 including the FA cup so if anything he's due a rest.

I still think the early subbing off against Liverpool and Newcastle were to avoid doing that since they don’t have anyone else who plays that role naturally.

Of course it does potentially put a bit of a ceiling on him if the plan is to sub him off every time the game is over, preventing him from getting those vulture points late in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Vulture points :D

Brilliant

km79 wrote: »
    Vulture points :D

Brilliant

It was one of the things that initially made me avoid Bruno. Those lads who are never rested are often the same guys who are subbed off as soon as a game is won and miss out on all those late points against a mentally defeated opposition.

However this didn’t happen with Bruno and I had to admit defeat myself and bring him in this week. Watch him get hooked after 59 minutes today and me end up belatedly right and yet ultimately wrong all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

CSF wrote: »
    It was one of the things that initially made me avoid Bruno. Those lads who are never rested are often the same guys who are subbed off as soon as a game is won and miss out on all those late points against a mentally defeated opposition.

However this didn’t happen with Bruno and I had to admit defeat myself and bring him in this week. Watch him get hooked after 59 minutes today and me end up belatedly right and yet ultimately wrong all at once.

As a non-captainer you want him hooked after 5 minutes!

Green&Red wrote: »
    As a non-captainer you want him hooked after 5 minutes!

As a Villa fan I want him hooked after 5 seconds!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Have Foden, he may be benched but I'm not overly concerned. The vultures will be circling vs Brighton.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Holgate misses out, Fernandez -2 confirmed for me :mad:

Have really ****ed myself over with captains since the return.

Might start going for the more obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Went with KDB over Bruno as captain this week which didn't work out. City scored 5 and Dubravka made 5 saves so they were utterly dominant but one assist for KDB was hugely underwhelming (he obviously created a lot considering he got 1 BP with only one assist in a 5 goal game). Villa had United well shackled up until the soft pen for Bruno was awarded and Villa were totally deflated after that (pity that didn't happen the week before when I captained Salah against them!). Them's the breaks I guess.

Some very viable captain choices this week. Between 3 for me in KDB v Bruno v Salah.

Brighton are safe now since the Norwich game so nothing to play for. Against Liverpool they were just all out attack and ended up conceding 3 with Ryan making 5 saves on top of that. You'd have to expect City will get at least 3 against them too and surely KDB will return more than one assist this time around. One note of caution is he has played 90 mins in 3 of the last 4 games so could get the curly finger early if they're well ahead.

Bruno's returns have been amazing, particularly the last 3 games. However they are coming up against a team in decent form. Southampton have only conceded 4 goals in five games since the restart (one was a McCarthy howler against Arsenal) and even kept a clean sheet against City. One thing to note is United have had 3 pens since lockdown returned. It's gone Bruno - Rashford - Bruno so logically it would be Rashford (or someone else) to take the next one.

Salah was on fire last time out but it's hard to see Burnley affording him the same space as Brighton did. With the exception of the City game (where their squad was decimated) Burnley kept 3 clean sheets in 4 and conceded only 1 goal (admittedly against lesser teams). Salah does look goal hungry though with the golden boot in mind and it was interesting that Bobby (straight in front of the goal) could have scored the first against Brighton but intentionally let it run through to Salah so perhaps they'll be trying go tee him up wherever possible.

At the minute it's KDB, Salah, Bruno in that order but will see what comes out of the press conferences before making a final decision.

76 points this GW which is a weekly rank of 1.4m.

My overall rank moved up a miserly 87 places to 15.5k.

Felt like a better week than my overall suggests.

Teams all getting very very similar now. Hard to make any inroads.

I’m 13 points outside the top 10k and while that is always my season target it feels pretty poor this season but I have to accept that FPL changing the rules mid competition has killed my chances in the money leagues. Which sucks.

I was in a great position prior to that rule change.

• Advertisement

76 points this GW which is a weekly rank of 1.4m.

My overall rank moved up a miserly 87 places to 15.5k.

Felt like a better week than my overall suggests.

Teams all getting very very similar now. Hard to make any inroads.

I’m 13 points outside the top 10k and while that is always my season target it feels pretty poor this season but I have to accept that FPL changing the rules mid competition has killed my chances in the money leagues. Which sucks.

I was in a great position prior to that rule change.

God I feel the exact same way. I think I was in a slightly worse position to you pre-COVID, but I also would have fancied my chances to take advantage of the shaping of my team I’d done during lockdown. I barely even needed the unlimited transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ShimSlady

Went with KDB over Bruno as captain this week which didn't work out. City scored 5 and Dubravka made 5 saves so they were utterly dominant but one assist for KDB was hugely underwhelming (he obviously created a lot considering he got 1 BP with only one assist in a 5 goal game). Villa had United well shackled up until the soft pen for Bruno was awarded and Villa were totally deflated after that (pity that didn't happen the week before when I captained Salah against them!). Them's the breaks I guess.

Some very viable captain choices this week. Between 3 for me in KDB v Bruno v Salah.

Brighton are safe now since the Norwich game so nothing to play for. Against Liverpool they were just all out attack and ended up conceding 3 with Ryan making 5 saves on top of that. You'd have to expect City will get at least 3 against them too and surely KDB will return more than one assist this time around. One note of caution is he has played 90 mins in 3 of the last 4 games so could get the curly finger early if they're well ahead.

Bruno's returns have been amazing, particularly the last 3 games. However they are coming up against a team in decent form. Southampton have only conceded 4 goals in five games since the restart (one was a McCarthy howler against Arsenal) and even kept a clean sheet against City. One thing to note is United have had 3 pens since lockdown returned. It's gone Bruno - Rashford - Bruno so logically it would be Rashford (or someone else) to take the next one.

Salah was on fire last time out but it's hard to see Burnley affording him the same space as Brighton did. With the exception of the City game (where their squad was decimated) Burnley kept 3 clean sheets in 4 and conceded only 1 goal (admittedly against lesser teams). Salah does look goal hungry though with the golden boot in mind and it was interesting that Bobby (straight in front of the goal) could have scored the first against Brighton but intentionally let it run through to Salah so perhaps they'll be trying go tee him up wherever possible.

At the minute it's KDB, Salah, Bruno in that order but will see what comes out of the press conferences before making a final decision.

Is KDB not a doubt for Brighton?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

ShimSlady wrote: »
    Is KDB not a doubt for Brighton?

I seen some suggesting that but he's not flagged on the site. Hopefully Guardiola will shed some light on it in his press conference later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I would say Burnleys squad is now in a worse shape than it was for the City game. They have lost 3 more guaranteed starters in Mee, Lowton and Cork, however they have got wood and gudmundson back on the bench but not fully fit. Burnley have made 5 subs in total in the last 4 games and are starting games with only 5 of their first choice eleven. It defies any sort of logic the results they have been getting. I say this as someone that has Pope but I 100% would have sold him if I still had a wildcard on the resumption of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I would say Burnleys squad is now in a worse shape than it was for the City game. They have lost 3 more guaranteed starters in Mee, Lowton and Cork, however they have got wood and gudmundson back on the bench but not fully fit. Burnley have made 5 subs in total in the last 4 games and are starting games with only 5 of their first choice eleven. It defies any sort of logic the results they have been getting. I say this as someone that has Pope but I 100% would have sold him if I still had a wildcard on the resumption of the league.

Yeah they're racking up the injuries and must be tired. I wonder if they might half look at the Liverpool game and think it's not one where they want to die on a hill for, with the games coming thick and fast. It's sometimes the benefit you get being such a dominant team, teams show up half-beaten before they step onto the pitch.

They have Wolves at home after which is one they'll be targetting for a win.

It is making me lean slightly towards a Salah captaincy this week.

Yeah. Pieters would be a decent punt now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Pressers:

9.15 Bournemouth
    "Adam Smith will miss the Leicester game for sure with the injury he has sustained," confirmed Howe.

"David Brooks came off but we think it's just cramp, so we'll wait to see.

"Steve Cook has a hamstring problem and he's not 100% yet."
    10:00 Newcastle
    10.30 West Ham
    12:30 Crystal Palace
    12:45 Liverpool
    13:00 Tottenham
    13:15 Burnley, Norwich, Wolves
    13:30 Chelsea, Everton, Leicester, Man City
    16:00 Southampton

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Sounds like what Peps interview will be like to tell us if KDB is benched or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭El festino

Guardiola: "Today they trained really well, all of them. Now I have a meeting with the doctor to get an update. We had some problems. After two or three games in a row, Mendy was not comfortable with muscular issues. That's why we rotate the team."

Guardiola: "We have to arrive in the best condition possible for Arsenal and Real Madrid. At the same time, the best way to be ready is play our games, with the rhythm."

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Play Saka or Foden?

manual_man wrote: »
    Play Saka or Foden?

Foden

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Thoughts on these two lads .....
    Play Aurier and Calvert Lewin

Or

Doherty and Ings?

Thoughts on these two lads .....
    Play Aurier and Calvert Lewin

Or

Doherty and Ings?

Doherty and Ings easily

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Darksoul

Anyone know if bringing Salah in before the price rise is worth it ? I would have to sell Mahrez for a (-4) as I'm keeping Kevin de Bruyne.

Main rival doesn't have Salah so surely he will get at least a goal or assist against Burnley and possibly aiming for golden boot for the rest of the games.

Darksoul wrote: »
    Anyone know if bringing Salah in before the price rise is worth it ? I would have to sell Mahrez for a (-4) as I'm keeping Kevin de Bruyne.

Main rival doesn't have Salah so surely he will get at least a goal or assist against Burnley and possibly aiming for golden boot for the rest of the games.
    Liverpool have Arsenal and Chelsea in 36 and 37, which would normally seem quite competitive games, but Arsenal play an FA Cup semi final 3 days later. Chelsea play Man United in an FA Cup semi final 3 days prior to the game against Liverpool, although I don't think Chelsea are in a position to rest players in league games.

I think Salah is worth it all the same and is captainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

km79 wrote: »
    Doherty and Ings easily

Yeah was my thinking .....just a bit worried Utd will keep the Saints quiet....although I support Utd so shouldn’t be thinking like that for Ings:)

• Advertisement

Sounds like what Peps interview will be like to tell us if KDB is benched or not.

I sometimes have to make a post just for me to be able to access the next page.

It’s a weird glitch I experience on a some threads.

I can see there is a ‘next’ page but it doesn’t load it until I post.

Which I’m doing again now !

Advertisement