Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grain price.

Options
  • 18-06-2014 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

Harvesting winter barley here this week and we are only being offered €151/ton.
    This is for dried barley.
    Implications for Irish green barley ~ €135 ish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

sheebadog wrote: »

Implications for milk and beef .... Not good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Implications for milk and beef .... Not good

Implications for tillage are a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Where is 'here', France?

Where is 'here', France?

Yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

€27 an acre for shot of fungicide and herbicide for spring barley is where the real problem is, you could tolerate a lower grain price if input costs dropped.

It seems like everybody else's margin has to be protected except the primary producer in all sectors.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

blue5000 wrote: »
    €27 an acre for shot of fungicide and herbicide for spring barley is where the real problem is, you could tolerate a lower grain price if input costs dropped.

It seems like everybody else's margin has to be protected except the primary producer in all sectors.

I see that myself here. Lad who has a 50 acre field of malting barley beside us each yr. Has lots of ground under him.
    Haven't seen him spray it yet this yr although it looks a very healthy crop. 330 an acre after that spray and then pay for your fert seed and diesel is not a whole lot.

What's to become of farming eh?
    Will we nerd another famine?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

+1

I see that myself here. Lad who has a 50 acre field of malting barley beside us each yr. Has lots of ground under him.
    Haven't seen him spray it yet this yr although it looks a very healthy crop. 330 an acre after that spray and then pay for your fert seed and diesel is not a whole lot.

What's to become of farming eh?
    Will we nerd another famine?

No, either a revolution or a war. The only time in the last 100 years that there was a major re-distribution of wealth from the rich to the poor was during and after ww2.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unemployment_in_the_United_States#mediaviewer/File:2008_Top1percentUSA.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭GRASSorMUCK

Would have thought mid teens is enough or are you using axial or something extra? what did you use may i ask? Are you with Dairygold?
    orry, got confuseled i hope thats a 2 spray programme not just 1st spray otherwise goodluck to ya id be saying to my supplier.

No, either a revolution or a war. The only time in the last 100 years that there was a major re-distribution of wealth from the rich to the poor was during and after ww2.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unemployment_in_the_United_States#mediaviewer/File:2008_Top1percentUSA.png

That seems abit like history repeating it's self?!

• Advertisement

Would have thought mid teens is enough or are you using axial or something extra? what did you use may i ask? Are you with Dairygold?
    orry, got confuseled i hope thats a 2 spray programme not just 1st spray otherwise goodluck to ya id be saying to my supplier.

Hopefully one spray programme, got away with it last yr
    450gram calibre €111
    2L reaper @17 €34
    2L proline @76 €152

Had a bit of reaper left over, so it's actually >€27 on 12 acres ish.
    Not with dairygold, big midland merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

I know margins are tight, but don't think we should be wishing for a war or a famine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

PP told every year to produce more, does so, get's screwed.

Definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭farm14

Dried barley €170/t from glanbia. Disappointing. Malting barley lads will get more though

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

and the nut im getting has gone up another 5 euro a tonne to 286 a tonne for a 14 percent finishing nut with maize and barley the 2 main constituents

ill be changing supplier very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

and the nut im getting has gone up another 5 euro a tonne to 286 a tonne for a 14 percent finishing nut with maize and barley the 2 main constituents

ill be changing supplier very soon

How much does it cost to produce a nut / ration?
    If the producer is being paid less than break even & price to livestock farmers increase, is Labour & process costly or are merchants taking a good cut?
    Is there an option for producer to mix & supply to farmer leaving things more affordable to both

Lads no point in getting THAT emotional over a silly tillage farm operation!

Why can't more livestock & tillage farmers work together & cut out the middle man? Surely it would work. I think they are squeezing a profit out of it at the farmers expense. Like if the tillage farmer sold his grain for bit less than what the merchant charges the livestock farmer for meal wouldn't he still have more than what he would have been paid for in first place & the livestock farmer would have cheaper meal too? Their is just to many middle men out now ready to gobble up that profit. But in saying that as regards tillage farming nowadays trying to make a good profit its just not their. We're simply not being paid enough for our produce. The costs are too much aswell sprays are shocking expensive machinery costs fertiliser seed. I think I'll give it up to f**k its just not paying. It's gone very hard to make a good income out of farming now everything is so expensive & we don't get paid enough for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

farm14 wrote: »
    Why can't more livestock & tillage farmers work together & cut out the middle man? Surely it would work. I think they are squeezing a profit out of it at the farmers expense. Like if the tillage farmer sold his grain for bit less than what the merchant charges the livestock farmer for meal wouldn't he still have more than what he would have been paid for in first place & the livestock farmer would have cheaper meal too? Their is just to many middle men out now ready to gobble up that profit. But in saying that as regards tillage farming nowadays trying to make a good profit its just not their. We're simply not being paid enough for our produce. The costs are too much aswell sprays are shocking expensive machinery costs fertiliser seed. I think I'll give it up to f**k its just not paying. It's gone very hard to make a good income out of farming now everything is so expensive & we don't get paid enough for it.

Livestock farmer wants a ready made ration if tillage men start selling meal there turning into merchants it won't work. Just because the barley is cheap doesn't mean the rest of the ingredients are. Although 290/t is a bit steep for a 14% ration.
    If a tillage man was to start selling meal he would have to get licenceced and compete with exist merchants when buying other straights along with build another shed to fund his enterprise and kit it out.

Don't think it'll happen

Sure. Paid on the 18 or 19 of every month. More important than any bodies way of life ?

• Advertisement

They could save money buying it off the combine. Why do we have to make the merchants so rich. This country is great for growing grass why don't more people utilise it more. Meal out of merchants is a rob they are making a f*****g fortune out of farmers who are loosing money

Please. Please stop thinking about how you can stand on another farming enterprise. I'm certain that it's part of the "spin" that you lot believe in.

Very. Very. Very weighted on here towards dairy farmers. Stop.
    Educate yourselves.
    Thanks.

Please. Please stop thinking about how you can stand on another farming enterprise. I'm certain that it's part of the "spin" that you lot believe in.

Very. Very. Very weighted on here towards dairy farmers. Stop.
    Educate yourselves.
    Thanks.

How's it very weighted towards dairy? And when was tillage or beef ever as profitable as dairy? No spin at all. Growing grain in this country is certainly not paying well. Beef & sheep are certainly nothing to write home about either.

farm14 wrote: »
    How's it very weighted towards dairy? And when was tillage or beef ever as profitable as dairy? No spin at all. Growing grain in this country is certainly not paying well. Beef & sheep are certainly nothing to write home about either.

Read the "milk price" thread, then read this thread. Then compare and contrast.
    Most posters give a damn about milk price. Anyone give a shyte about grain price? NO!
    Mé fein.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

That is the commodification of grain for ya . As a mixed farmer I always saw myself as a dairy farmer who grew grain .always gravitating towards the more profitable job. Felt a little unappreciated selling near reared calves this spring for pennies and being told they were a byproduct.

That is the commodification of grain for ya . As a mixed farmer I always saw myself as a dairy farmer who grew grain .always gravitating towards the more profitable job. Felt a little unappreciated selling near reared calves this spring for pennies and being told they were a byproduct.

Yes. I agree with you. Main enterprise here is tillage with some dairy and poultry.
    It's a little bit annoying when the attitude of most farmers is so inward. Navel gazing.
    Thank Christ that it's different here. Farmers stick together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Read the "milk price" thread, then read this thread. Then compare and contrast.
    Most posters give a damn about milk price. Anyone give a shyte about grain price? NO!
    Mé fein.
    Excuse me cheap grain is disastrous for me as it devalues everything I do and I always keep an eye on it

keep going wrote: »
    Excuse me cheap grain is disastrous for me as it devalues everything I do and I always keep an eye on it

Yes, but unless you store it there's not much else you can do about it other that sit about and give out about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Can't wait for the dairy prices to flop, bring a few lads down a level. This forum is to weighed towards dairy, if sheep have their own forum, maybe dairy should too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

The only substantial grower in my area sells the bulk of his wheat and barley crimped to livestock farmers. Many of his customers have their accounts almost cleared before harvest. He gets top dollar and his customers get much better value than they would from merchants.

All sorts of integration going on with other mixed farmers on rotation where he'll grow beet or maize on their land and they'll have grain on his. All different levels of contracts from complete stubble to stubble to just combining. Some even with him supplying sprays.

. In most cases everyone is doing better out of the deal. There'll be swings and roundabouts and a 2012 can't be legislated for.

Advertisement