Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grain price.

• 18-06-2014 8:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

Harvesting winter barley here this week and we are only being offered €151/ton.
    This is for dried barley.
    Implications for Irish green barley ~ €135 ish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

sheebadog wrote: »

Implications for milk and beef .... Not good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Implications for milk and beef .... Not good

Implications for tillage are a lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

Where is 'here', France?

Where is 'here', France?

Yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

€27 an acre for shot of fungicide and herbicide for spring barley is where the real problem is, you could tolerate a lower grain price if input costs dropped.

It seems like everybody else's margin has to be protected except the primary producer in all sectors.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

blue5000 wrote: »
    €27 an acre for shot of fungicide and herbicide for spring barley is where the real problem is, you could tolerate a lower grain price if input costs dropped.

It seems like everybody else's margin has to be protected except the primary producer in all sectors.

I see that myself here. Lad who has a 50 acre field of malting barley beside us each yr. Has lots of ground under him.
    Haven't seen him spray it yet this yr although it looks a very healthy crop. 330 an acre after that spray and then pay for your fert seed and diesel is not a whole lot.

What's to become of farming eh?
    Will we nerd another famine?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭joejobrien

+1

I see that myself here. Lad who has a 50 acre field of malting barley beside us each yr. Has lots of ground under him.
    Haven't seen him spray it yet this yr although it looks a very healthy crop. 330 an acre after that spray and then pay for your fert seed and diesel is not a whole lot.

What's to become of farming eh?
    Will we nerd another famine?

No, either a revolution or a war. The only time in the last 100 years that there was a major re-distribution of wealth from the rich to the poor was during and after ww2.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unemployment_in_the_United_States#mediaviewer/File:2008_Top1percentUSA.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭GRASSorMUCK

Would have thought mid teens is enough or are you using axial or something extra? what did you use may i ask? Are you with Dairygold?
    orry, got confuseled i hope thats a 2 spray programme not just 1st spray otherwise goodluck to ya id be saying to my supplier.

No, either a revolution or a war. The only time in the last 100 years that there was a major re-distribution of wealth from the rich to the poor was during and after ww2.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unemployment_in_the_United_States#mediaviewer/File:2008_Top1percentUSA.png

That seems abit like history repeating it's self?!

• Advertisement

Would have thought mid teens is enough or are you using axial or something extra? what did you use may i ask? Are you with Dairygold?
    orry, got confuseled i hope thats a 2 spray programme not just 1st spray otherwise goodluck to ya id be saying to my supplier.

Hopefully one spray programme, got away with it last yr
    450gram calibre €111
    2L reaper @17 €34
    2L proline @76 €152

Had a bit of reaper left over, so it's actually >€27 on 12 acres ish.
    Not with dairygold, big midland merchant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

I know margins are tight, but don't think we should be wishing for a war or a famine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

PP told every year to produce more, does so, get's screwed.

Definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭farm14

Dried barley €170/t from glanbia. Disappointing. Malting barley lads will get more though

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

and the nut im getting has gone up another 5 euro a tonne to 286 a tonne for a 14 percent finishing nut with maize and barley the 2 main constituents

ill be changing supplier very soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

and the nut im getting has gone up another 5 euro a tonne to 286 a tonne for a 14 percent finishing nut with maize and barley the 2 main constituents

ill be changing supplier very soon

How much does it cost to produce a nut / ration?
    If the producer is being paid less than break even & price to livestock farmers increase, is Labour & process costly or are merchants taking a good cut?
    Is there an option for producer to mix & supply to farmer leaving things more affordable to both

Lads no point in getting THAT emotional over a silly tillage farm operation!

Why can't more livestock & tillage farmers work together & cut out the middle man? Surely it would work. I think they are squeezing a profit out of it at the farmers expense. Like if the tillage farmer sold his grain for bit less than what the merchant charges the livestock farmer for meal wouldn't he still have more than what he would have been paid for in first place & the livestock farmer would have cheaper meal too? Their is just to many middle men out now ready to gobble up that profit. But in saying that as regards tillage farming nowadays trying to make a good profit its just not their. We're simply not being paid enough for our produce. The costs are too much aswell sprays are shocking expensive machinery costs fertiliser seed. I think I'll give it up to f**k its just not paying. It's gone very hard to make a good income out of farming now everything is so expensive & we don't get paid enough for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

farm14 wrote: »
    Why can't more livestock & tillage farmers work together & cut out the middle man? Surely it would work. I think they are squeezing a profit out of it at the farmers expense. Like if the tillage farmer sold his grain for bit less than what the merchant charges the livestock farmer for meal wouldn't he still have more than what he would have been paid for in first place & the livestock farmer would have cheaper meal too? Their is just to many middle men out now ready to gobble up that profit. But in saying that as regards tillage farming nowadays trying to make a good profit its just not their. We're simply not being paid enough for our produce. The costs are too much aswell sprays are shocking expensive machinery costs fertiliser seed. I think I'll give it up to f**k its just not paying. It's gone very hard to make a good income out of farming now everything is so expensive & we don't get paid enough for it.

Livestock farmer wants a ready made ration if tillage men start selling meal there turning into merchants it won't work. Just because the barley is cheap doesn't mean the rest of the ingredients are. Although 290/t is a bit steep for a 14% ration.
    If a tillage man was to start selling meal he would have to get licenceced and compete with exist merchants when buying other straights along with build another shed to fund his enterprise and kit it out.

Don't think it'll happen

Sure. Paid on the 18 or 19 of every month. More important than any bodies way of life ?

• Advertisement

They could save money buying it off the combine. Why do we have to make the merchants so rich. This country is great for growing grass why don't more people utilise it more. Meal out of merchants is a rob they are making a f*****g fortune out of farmers who are loosing money

Please. Please stop thinking about how you can stand on another farming enterprise. I'm certain that it's part of the "spin" that you lot believe in.

Very. Very. Very weighted on here towards dairy farmers. Stop.
    Educate yourselves.
    Thanks.

Please. Please stop thinking about how you can stand on another farming enterprise. I'm certain that it's part of the "spin" that you lot believe in.

Very. Very. Very weighted on here towards dairy farmers. Stop.
    Educate yourselves.
    Thanks.

How's it very weighted towards dairy? And when was tillage or beef ever as profitable as dairy? No spin at all. Growing grain in this country is certainly not paying well. Beef & sheep are certainly nothing to write home about either.

farm14 wrote: »
    How's it very weighted towards dairy? And when was tillage or beef ever as profitable as dairy? No spin at all. Growing grain in this country is certainly not paying well. Beef & sheep are certainly nothing to write home about either.

Read the "milk price" thread, then read this thread. Then compare and contrast.
    Most posters give a damn about milk price. Anyone give a shyte about grain price? NO!
    Mé fein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

That is the commodification of grain for ya . As a mixed farmer I always saw myself as a dairy farmer who grew grain .always gravitating towards the more profitable job. Felt a little unappreciated selling near reared calves this spring for pennies and being told they were a byproduct.

That is the commodification of grain for ya . As a mixed farmer I always saw myself as a dairy farmer who grew grain .always gravitating towards the more profitable job. Felt a little unappreciated selling near reared calves this spring for pennies and being told they were a byproduct.

Yes. I agree with you. Main enterprise here is tillage with some dairy and poultry.
    It's a little bit annoying when the attitude of most farmers is so inward. Navel gazing.
    Thank Christ that it's different here. Farmers stick together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Read the "milk price" thread, then read this thread. Then compare and contrast.
    Most posters give a damn about milk price. Anyone give a shyte about grain price? NO!
    Mé fein.
    Excuse me cheap grain is disastrous for me as it devalues everything I do and I always keep an eye on it

keep going wrote: »
    Excuse me cheap grain is disastrous for me as it devalues everything I do and I always keep an eye on it

Yes, but unless you store it there's not much else you can do about it other that sit about and give out about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Can't wait for the dairy prices to flop, bring a few lads down a level. This forum is to weighed towards dairy, if sheep have their own forum, maybe dairy should too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

The only substantial grower in my area sells the bulk of his wheat and barley crimped to livestock farmers. Many of his customers have their accounts almost cleared before harvest. He gets top dollar and his customers get much better value than they would from merchants.

All sorts of integration going on with other mixed farmers on rotation where he'll grow beet or maize on their land and they'll have grain on his. All different levels of contracts from complete stubble to stubble to just combining. Some even with him supplying sprays.

. In most cases everyone is doing better out of the deal. There'll be swings and roundabouts and a 2012 can't be legislated for.

micraX wrote: »
    Can't wait for the dairy prices to flop, bring a few lads down a level. This forum is to weighed towards dairy, if sheep have their own forum, maybe dairy should too.

Now now down with that kind of thing!
    Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
    Every farmer SHOULD stand shoulder to shoulder. Me feinism gets you nowhere.
    Agree with dairy bias here but I've much gratitude to the likes of Stan, Mahoney, Frazzled etc.

Lookit I'm harvesting winter barley yielding 1.8ton/ha at the minute and nobody gives a shyte, but if I had a sick animal I would get some good advice and sympathy.
    Methinks some of the me feinism is a hangover from the quota era.

Lookit I'm harvesting winter barley yielding 1.8ton/ha at the minute and nobody gives a shyte,

Yikes!! 6 row that didn't fill? or what happened?

Yikes!! 6 row that didn't fill? or what happened?

Cereal mosaic virus. Ever hear of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

This country is totally dairy focused as is the IFA, and soon enough they will regret it. Eggs and Basket comes to mind, one man in the Co-op i know used to laugh when the IFA used to meet with the Co-op as every section of them wanted cheap grain except the grain section.

Cereal mosaic virus. Ever hear of it?

Might have at one stage, but not very common?
    Reading hear a little not much control only Resistant variety or out of cropping for 15 years?! Any ideas how it spread? new machinery or contractor as said to be soil borne?
    http://archive.hgca.com/document.aspx?fn=load&media_id=3620&publicationId=3957

• Advertisement

Might have at one stage, but not very common?
    Reading hear a little not much control only Resistant variety or out of cropping for 15 years?! Any ideas how it spread? new machinery or contractor as said to be soil borne?
    http://archive.hgca.com/document.aspx?fn=load&media_id=3620&publicationId=3957

Soil bourne virus. France is riddled with it in some of the cereal growing areas.
    My cereal ground is tilled since roman times so I expect all kinds of muck.
    Volume and Cassia are the two varieties that succumbed to it with me. They are rated as 'tolerant' but not resistant. All white straw cereals are prone to it unless classed as resistant.
    In Ireland I had oat mosaic virus but only affected oats. CMV hits everything.

Interestingly quality hasn't suffered much. Kph 68 @ 11.7% moisture.

Barley that's not affected won't be ripe for another week/10 days.

Straw @ €85/ton is producing more /ha than the grain. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Agree with dairy bias here but I've much gratitude to the likes of Stan, Mahoney, Frazzled etc.

Lookit I'm harvesting winter barley yielding 1.8ton/ha at the minute and nobody gives a shyte, but if I had a sick animal I would get some good advice and sympathy.

Agree 100%,if farmers and I mean dairy,beef,tillage,sheep etc all stood together as one in this country we would be a much better for it.theres way too much of trying to be bigger and better than the lad next door,I'd be the youngest farmer in my area and some ofcthe crap I hear back about some of my methods would crack u up because I try in as much as possible to use most recent methods and info to extract as much milk,grass and profit from my holding.i feel for the beef and tillage men at the moment in their plight with low prices and poor if not non existent margins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Yes dairy prices will flop in fact its happening allready so start getting happy.if im honest I want cereals beef and dairy to do well as high prices in those sectors will have a positive impact on my business but I dont want to see any sect8r in trouble as I have friends and relations in other farm enterprise's

Soil bourne virus. France is riddled with it in some of the cereal growing areas.
    My cereal ground is tilled since roman times so I expect all kinds of muck.
    Volume and Cassia are the two varieties that succumbed to it with me. They are rated as 'tolerant' but not resistant. All white straw cereals are prone to it unless classed as resistant.
    In Ireland I had oat mosaic virus but only affected oats. CMV hits everything.

Interestingly quality hasn't suffered much. Kph 68 @ 11.7% moisture.

Barley that's not affected won't be ripe for another week/10 days.

Straw @ €85/ton is producing more /ha than the grain. :(

Have seen oat mosaic at my uncles place in Ireland, he doesn't believe in rotation or that much :D:rolleyes:. Just one of those things you know might happen and kind of expect some of it, some years worse than others?

Quality is good, less viable grain sites so plant pumped energy into fewer grains iykwim?. Would you....... add a little moisture as you sell it? Would you need a grain drier in France?! or just a little bit... Does much straw go down to spain from france or am i mistaken?

Put podstik on OSR a weekend, bout 10-12 days might go with glyphosate bout week early, 2 on last year. You continental guys get more heat to burn in OSR have heard don't usually dessicate or thinking of ze Germans? must cost few hundredkg/ha burning off but then wouldn't be ripe until August and risk of hail/heavy rain with a 90% there crop is too much. Considering was flowering start of APRIL in places not too bad i think, all sorts of crops some big yields some crappy spots that sat wet over winter and got weeds in, especially as kerb did nothing :(:mad: to my lovely BG. Some WB maybe 3-4 weeks away in area.

Yes. I agree with you. Main enterprise here is tillage with some dairy and poultry.
    It's a little bit annoying when the attitude of most farmers is so inward. Navel gazing.
    Thank Christ that it's different here. Farmers stick together.

Ah I don't know now the last few years im not making anything from growing grain. It costing €500/acre to grow winter barley

• Advertisement

That's a quare sort of a statement. Why would you like to see someone struggle financially? At Low milk prices dairy would still be more profitable than beef sheep & tillage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I was told years ago when I first started that a farmers only friend is his pocket
    Lambofdave wrote: »
    This country is totally dairy focused as is the IFA, and soon enough they will regret it. Eggs and Basket comes to mind, one man in the Co-op i know used to laugh when the IFA used to meet with the Co-op as every section of them wanted cheap grain except the grain section.

Warren Buffet say there is nothing wrong with having all your eggs in one basket. But you have to watch them closely.

Have seen oat mosaic at my uncles place in Ireland, he doesn't believe in rotation or that much :D:rolleyes:. Just one of those things you know might happen and kind of expect some of it, some years worse than others?

Quality is good, less viable grain sites so plant pumped energy into fewer grains iykwim?. Would you....... add a little moisture as you sell it? Would you need a grain drier in France?! or just a little bit... Does much straw go down to spain from france or am i mistaken?

Put podstik on OSR a weekend, bout 10-12 days might go with glyphosate bout week early, 2 on last year. You continental guys get more heat to burn in OSR have heard don't usually dessicate or thinking of ze Germans? must cost few hundredkg/ha burning off but then wouldn't be ripe until August and risk of hail/heavy rain with a 90% there crop is too much. Considering was flowering start of APRIL in places not too bad i think, all sorts of crops some big yields some crappy spots that sat wet over winter and got weeds in, especially as kerb did nothing :(:mad: to my lovely BG. Some WB maybe 3-4 weeks away in area.
    Yea quality is fine but an awful lot of blind grains going over the screens ( wonder will much grow?). As you say the plant tried its best to fill the good grains.
    No I won't add any moisture to the grain as it's hardly worth the bother.

Don't need a grain drier here, just a combine up to its job as it can dry down fast.
    Grain maize is always dried though, and not easily dried as it has a thick skin iykwim.
    No osr here this year as not enough moisture at planting.

Hmmm......podstik... I don't use it here but I use it in Ireland. I would like to see some independent trial results on the benefits of this product.
    No need to desiccate osr here.

Yea quality is fine but an awful lot of blind grains going over the screens ( wonder will much grow?). As you say the plant tried its best to fill the good grains.
    No I won't add any moisture to the grain as it's hardly worth the bother.

Don't need a grain drier here, just a combine up to its job as it can dry down fast.
    Grain maize is always dried though, and not easily dried as it has a thick skin iykwim.
    No osr here this year as not enough moisture at planting.

Hmmm......podstik... I don't use it here but I use it in Ireland. I would like to see some independent trial results on the benefits of this product.
    No need to desiccate osr here.

We've had good results when crop is still green and 'rubbery' with podstik, of course means an extra pass so often only do able when ground conditions suit etc....
    Would you give the maize 2/3 quick blasts at heat or a slow lower heat higher airflow? must be nice not needing to run a drier for other crops.

We've had good results when crop is still green and 'rubbery' with podstik, of course means an extra pass so often only do able when ground conditions suit etc....
    Would you give the maize 2/3 quick blasts at heat or a slow lower heat higher airflow? must be nice not needing to run a drier for other crops.

How can you say that the podstik gives good results? Did you leave an untreated patch?

We try and avoid drying maize at all costs. Sell as much as we can for crimping which is handy as 38% moisture.
    Crimp is the job with maize as harvest is a month earlier. Normally cut the maize for grain at 24 or 25% and the drying is a slow process. Max heat and as slow as she'll go. Two to three runs to get to 14%. Oh the diesel!!

How can you say that the podstik gives good results? Did you leave an untreated patch?

We try and avoid drying maize at all costs. Sell as much as we can for crimping which is handy as 38% moisture.
    Crimp is the job with maize as harvest is a month earlier. Normally cut the maize for grain at 24 or 25% and the drying is a slow process. Max heat and as slow as she'll go. Two to three runs to get to 14%. Oh the diesel!!

Unfortunately yes :(:mad:, 2012, field was missed when burning off and then had to go with Diquat few days later. Same variety, Excalibur iirc or was that out then i forget... but field over hedge yielded 300kg/ha more no difference in inputs bar vary on p,k rates and some elevated pigeon damage on a headland by a small wood. Not scientific but worth it in to us iykwim.

Much hardship combining maize that wet? could imagine you need an agitator type device in grain tank near unload conveyor.? Alot of secondary loading or can you/have capacity to move back to wet bins?
    Guess it's not like having a pile of dry wheat, throw some stuff you half dried over the top along few pedistals in for a week or 2 on with fans grand job...

Unfortunately yes :(:mad:, 2012, field was missed when burning off and then had to go with Diquat few days later. Same variety, Excalibur iirc or was that out then i forget... but field over hedge yielded 300kg/ha more no difference in inputs bar vary on p,k rates and some elevated pigeon damage on a headland by a small wood. Not scientific but worth it in to us iykwim.

Much hardship combining maize that wet? could imagine you need an agitator type device in grain tank near unload conveyor.? Alot of secondary loading or can you/have capacity to move back to wet bins?
    Guess it's not like having a pile of dry wheat, throw some stuff you half dried over the top along few pedistals in for a week or 2 on with fans grand job...

Well that's the closest to an independent trial on podstik that I've heard. It defo pays for itself so.

Maize at 38% moisture is surprisingly fluid. Flows like wheat at 20% so no bother at all to handle. Lots of secondary and tertiary loading as I'm not well set up for handling wet grains!
    Maize is a funny crop in that when completely ripe the grain is close to 50% moisture. It then drops 0.8% moisture per day and if it rains the grain doesn't soak it in!
    Forage maize is always harvested 120 days after planting so easy to book the forager on time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Lambofdave wrote: »

You picked a funny year to say that, for the last nine mths in national exec, we have been getting 15mins dairying and one hour plus on beef, think you have been listening to too much pub talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

rangler1 wrote: »
    You picked a funny year to say that, for the last nine mths in national exec, we have been getting 15mins dairying and one hour plus on beef, think you have been listening to too much pub talk

And yet the IFA still have made no headway why? And does tillage sheep and so on even get a min at the national exec.
    I don't listen to pub talk. But I don't also believe half the IFA says, considering what the last president said to me.

Well that's the closest to an independent trial on podstik that I've heard. It defo pays for itself so.

Maize at 38% moisture is surprisingly fluid. Flows like wheat at 20% so no bother at all to handle. Lots of secondary and tertiary loading as I'm not well set up for handling wet grains!
    Maize is a funny crop in that when completely ripe the grain is close to 50% moisture. It then drops 0.8% moisture per day and if it rains the grain doesn't soak it in!
    Forage maize is always harvested 120 days after planting so easy to book the forager on time.

Don't know much of maize being honest, other than AD plants fall over them selves for ground and pump lots of inputs into it also! Few farms tried to grow it but just often too late to harvest or not enough heat for grain maize.. bit like me considering soya or lupins and other exotic spring crops plenty would say. :rolleyes: Would be nice if all crops could be so predictable as that, what kind of yields do you get?

One of the few good things we have here is we have good grainstores, at significant cost mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement