Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zig and Zag.........

• 01-07-2020 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭

......Were they better on The Den or The Big Breakfast? I always preferred them on The Den, especially in the late 80s. Some funny and risky stuff then. Fair play they got the gig on Channel Four's Big Breakfast, but I thought they weren't as funny or spontaneous. In fact I think Zig even developed an English accent to suit the show. Whatever about Ian Dempsey, they made that Kildare eejit, Darcy's career. Does he even realise it???

Anyway, they redeemed themselves with their earthling cousins Podge and Rodge at the expense of Z listers, but it all started with the lads from planet Zog that gave a generation of kids/teenagers some laughs.

What do you reckon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Grandeeod wrote: »
    ......Were they better on The Den or The Big Breakfast? I always preferred them on The Den, especially in the late 80s. Some funny and risky stuff then. Fair play they got the gig on Channel Four's Big Breakfast, but I thought they weren't as funny or spontaneous. In fact I think Zig even developed an English accent to suit the show. Whatever about Ian Dempsey, they made that Kildare eejit, Darcy's career. Does he even realise it???

Anyway, they redeemed themselves with their earthling cousins Podge and Rodge at the expense of Z listers, but it all started with the lads from planet Zog that gave a generation of kids/teenagers some laughs.

What do you reckon?

Sorry to break it to ya now G, but I think they were actually pieces of fabric with some lads arm shoved up their gullets.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

buried wrote: »
    Sorry to break it to ya now G, but I think they were actually pieces of fabric with some lads arm shoved up their gullets.

Absolutely. But what excuse does Ray Darcy have?

The lads arms up the gullets had talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,087 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Much better on The Den.

Didn’t they also have a small slot on Ian Dempsey’s radio show on 2FM? I can’t find any mention of it, but I have a memory of them having a fairly funny regular thing where they misheard song lyrics and created elaborate backstories to explain them. I still can’t listen to George Michael’s “Faith” without hearing them breathlessly singing “I gotta have Fanta, Fanta, Fant-ah”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Better on the den, I'd imagine they had to change to suit British audiences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They used to be on ‘Number One’ with Ian Dempsey too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I always liked Zig better.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Absolutely. But what excuse does Ray Darcy have?

The lads arms up the gullets had talent.

I don't know man, I don't engage with what Ray has to offer.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭HBC08

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They used to be on ‘Number One’ with Ian Dempsey too.

And 2Phat with Ray.

From their album....Probably be banned now. Very funny at the time and still funny to lots of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,336 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

On the den easily. There are clips of thr den on YouTube and Jesus all I'll say is I'm glad I grew up during the nineties. No dumbed down stuff even if some of the jokes went over my head the first time. Ray darcy had the easiest gig in RTÉ, in that five days a week he laughed at the three lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Much better on The Den.
    I still can’t listen to George Michael’s “Faith” without hearing them breathlessly singing “I gotta have Fanta, Fanta, Fant-ah”.

"When will there be a hard vest / for the wo-o-rms" - The Christians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Always remember them when anything by Simon and Gareths uncle comes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

We had poverty tv at the time, so when they left the Den for proddy shores, that was the last I seen of them (except for 2Phat. (D'Arcy's arse!) Velcro girl.... *drools*). So definitely the Den with D'Arcy. As mentioned above, they were pre-offended so was far better than what The Den became, and Dustin was just crap from day 1 to today (aside from Dustins Hi-Ace Van). Socky was meh, Podge and Rodge were brilliant.

People also forgetting about Zog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Much better on The Den.

Didn’t they also have a small slot on Ian Dempsey’s radio show on 2FM? I can’t find any mention of it, but I have a memory of them having a fairly funny regular thing where they misheard song lyrics and created elaborate backstories to explain them. I still can’t listen to George Michael’s “Faith” without hearing them breathlessly singing “I gotta have Fanta, Fanta, Fant-ah”.

As far as I recall it was on each day at around 7.50 am and repeated and 8.50am. I remember the entire school bus used to go silent when it came on. Also their 'Daniel O'Donnell' interviews were brilliant.

They appeared regularly on Ian Dempsey's breakie show on 2FM. Even funny then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

They appeared regularly on Ian Dempsey's breakie show on 2FM. Even funny then.

Zig and zags aor, alien orientated rock, or something like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It always seemed to be sunny and hot outside on those mornings when the Big Breakfast was on back then

Mind obviously playing tricks on me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Forget Zeg and Zog, Zuppy was where it’s at.

Forget Zeg and Zog, Zuppy was where it’s at.

Zuppy never caught on. Epic fail he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Much better on The Den.

I remember them doing this slot. One song was Glady Knight, the story being she was in charge of a Scottish army regiment... "Licence to Kilt"

Another was a Paul Simon track on Graceland, it had an Irish fella on it that wanted them to repeat a certain part and was shoutingg "arís", according to them. In reality it was an African backing singer singing in his native tongue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Zuppy never caught on. Epic fail he was.

Sorry, but you are an epic fail. Hang your head in shame. Zuppy rocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I liked it when they randomly threw Ted at Ray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

They took the soup.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Bonnie Raitt's breakfast choice?
    " It's a hard egg! . . . Nothing but a hard egg!"

Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Anyone remember the Yorkshire cousin - Nigel, and the uncle (can't rem his name)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I still can’t listen to George Michael’s “Faith” without hearing them breathlessly singing “I gotta have Fanta, Fanta, Fant-ah”.
    Tordelback wrote: »
    "When will there be a hard vest / for the wo-o-rms" - The Christians.

Sooooooooooooooo stupid.

I love it! :D

They used to do cover versions of songs on The Den too. Sort of a lounge jazz act.

"Hill Street Blues,
    They're not green, no they're not,
    They are green..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Anyone remember Pajos Junkbox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Anyone surprised the Brits didn't get them?

Chris Evans speaks fondly of them though and the lads, this skit here he was supposed to be the straight man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Captain U-Boat. "Ah whooo" where they'd make the submarine noises. That always cracked me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,641 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I loved the books. Had all of them, except Strawberry Jelly. Full of absolute nonsense.

"Be alert. Your country needs lerts"

Advertisement