Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2020-21 - Mod Notes in 1st post. [Updated 17/12/20]

Comments

martyos121 wrote: »
    ...Bielsa and why his teams generally don’t win trophies.

There's also the problem that Man Utd have a sub who cost more than Bielsa's entire net spend.

I think that, more than any tactical naivety, might hurt Leeds title bid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It was cashed out after HT for less shown but hope it comes in now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Leeds players just aren't good enough to play this kind of football successfully at the top level. You need the best attackers available to make it work and while they were that in the Championship, they're out-classed in the Premier League. Put Bielsa in charge of a Real Madrid, Barcelona or Man City side and it would be fireworks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,903 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

There's also the problem that Man Utd have a sub who cost more than Bielsa's entire net spend.

Leeds spent £95m during the last transfer window that a very nice transfer spend for any team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Leeds spent £95m during the last transfer window that a very nice transfer spend for any team.

That's the max value and its achievement based so may not go near that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,494 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Hell of a leap for you to glean “Leeds won’t win the title because of Bielsa’s playing style” from a post that speaks broadly of his career as a manager and his shortcomings (hence why he’s managing Leeds United and not a big team).

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is ever saying Leeds could be title contenders any time soon, Bielsa or no Bielsa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,591 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What a miss from Leeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Comedy football.

6 -2 however if it ended 9 - 9 I wouldn't have been surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

October: Utd concede 6 at home, Liverpool concede 7 away, in the same weekend.
    December: Utd score 6 at home, Liverpool score 7 away, in the same weekend.

Funny old game, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Spurs 1st to 5th in a week. Mad.

eigrod wrote: »
    Spurs 1st to 5th in a week. Mad.

Could be 6th if Chelsea win tomorrow and 7th if City win there game in hand and 8th if Villa win 2 of there 3 games in hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Liverpool & United concede 7 & 6 on the same weekend
    Then score 7 & 6 on the same weekend weird

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Liverpool & United concede 7 & 6 on the same weekend
    Then score 7 & 6 on the same weekend weird

Illuminati confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,383 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

To use a Bill Simmonsism. Leeds are either the best bad side in the league or the worst good side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

To use a Bill Simmonsism. Leeds are either the best bad side in the league or the worst good side.

If it gets a 17th place finish then happy days

I had now real care if WBA stayed up or went down before the sacked Billic now that they have Big Sam in I really hope they go down

Villa off to a good start 1 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

2013's Jake Livermore sent off for a horrible challenge on Grealish. No need to even make the tackle where he was then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Red card. VAR will drive a traditionalist like Allardyce mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

ERG89 wrote: »
    2013's Jake Livermore sent off for a horrible challenge on Grealish. No need to even make the tackle where he was then.

He got the ball, zero contact with Grealish, who made the most of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That's another tackle off the ball studs down on the ankle. But for some reason only a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Hause makes contact, but that’s a yellow. Over the top challenge. Comical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭adaminho

ArielAtom wrote: »
    He got the ball, zero contact with Grealish, who made the most of it.

Worse, Hause gets only booked for worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,007 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The Leeds players just aren't good enough to play this kind of football successfully at the top level. You need the best attackers available to make it work and while they were that in the Championship, they're out-classed in the Premier League. Put Bielsa in charge of a Real Madrid, Barcelona or Man City side and it would be fireworks.

It depends on what you mean by top level - I mean they'd get decimated in the Champions League or something, but in the Premier League their players are good enough to play this way and get them around mid-table as a result, which would be a fantastic achievement coming up from the championship.

Against sides that are great on the counter they'll always struggle - losing to Leicester, Liverpool, Utd, Wolves and Palace as a result... but as a newly promoted side they'd have been expected to lose most of those games anyway, so why not go balls out every game, have a bit of craic, and see where it gets ya. Their approach has seen them smash Newcastle and Villa, beat Everton, Sheff U, and Fulham, and take points off Man City (and Arsenal, but who hasn't!).

They're way outperforming the other two teams that came up (have as many points as the other 2 put together), which is the benchmark to be watching. And they're having way more fun doing it.

Rather than getting the best players to play in the best way, I think Bielsa's biggest strength is almost the opposite - he gets a collection of average players to play a style way above themselves by getting them to buy into a shared vision, and die for each other to make it happen. Sure, it's not entirely consistent, but the level he elevates them to every second week is way above anything they could otherwise achieve.

(Though you're right that it would be great to see what he could do at a top top club - but I'm not convinced the players at an already top level club would buy into his self-sacrifice work ethic in the same way as clubs like Leeds and Bilbao do. Even Nketiah last season coming from Arsenal on loan seemed to find it beneath him.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

Comical from Peter Walton trying to explain away non red card for Villa, really is a joke at this stage. Both should have been reds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,966 ✭✭✭billyhead

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It depends on what you mean by top level - I mean they'd get decimated in the Champions League or something, but in the Premier League their players are good enough to play this way and get them around mid-table as a result, which would be a fantastic achievement coming up from the championship.

Against sides that are great on the counter they'll always struggle - losing to Leicester, Liverpool, Utd, Wolves and Palace as a result... but as a newly promoted side they'd have been expected to lose most of those games anyway, so why not go balls out every game, have a bit of craic, and see where it gets ya. Their approach has seen them smash Newcastle and Villa, beat Everton, Sheff U, and Fulham, and take points off Man City (and Arsenal, but who hasn't!).

They're way outperforming the other two teams that came up (have as many points as the other 2 put together), which is the benchmark to be watching. And they're having way more fun doing it.

Rather than getting the best players to play in the best way, I think Bielsa's biggest strength is almost the opposite - he gets a collection of average players to play a style way above themselves by getting them to buy into a shared vision, and die for each other to make it happen. Sure, it's not entirely consistent, but the level he elevates them to every second week is way above anything they could otherwise achieve.

(Though you're right that it would be great to see what he could do at a top top club - but I'm not convinced the players at an already top level club would buy into his self-sacrifice work ethic in the same way as clubs like Leeds and Bilbao do. Even Nketiah last season coming from Arsenal on loan seemed to find it beneath him.)

They spend a lot more money than the other promoted teams.

That's a very good analysis, it's alll about a system...a very attractive system that sees players pile forward...and players who are invested in that system. He has transformed players like Bamford and Ayling, he has coached them and others into becoming essential players...within his system. And as you correctly note, it can only work with certain players, and at a certain level.

billyhead wrote: »

My last Leeds home game was a 1-1 draw with Sunderland in April 2018 under Paul Heckingbottom and finished mid table to a team that went down! Today 9 of that squad were involved plus two injured!

billyhead wrote: »

This season.

They've spent nothing like teams promoted in previous seasons, like Villa (to survive by a point) and Fulham, who went down.

They've also kept a very tight wage structure, the wages of Mitrovic alone at Fulham dwarf anything Leeds pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

This season.

They've spent nothing like teams promoted in previous seasons, like Villa (to survive by a point) and Fulham, who went down.

They've also kept a very tight wage structure, the wages of Mitrovic alone at Fulham dwarf anything Leeds pay.
    They've spent about 90m which is a decent amount in fairness.

Did Big Sam just turn his back at the final whistle and walked down the tunnel without acknowledging anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair play to Leeds for playing right into our hands.

Could have been about 12-7 in the end.

eh i dunno wrote: »

They have. Though injuries have meant they haven't actually played all their signings together yet. But I suspect that when all 4 (3 internationals for Spain and Germany) are fit and the team is settled, they will be more solid.

eh i dunno wrote: »

But that's coming from a side that got promoted ? Utd had a sub costing 100m, another that cost 40m, A keeper that cost 20m, full backs that had cost a combined 80m. Centre halfs that cost a combined 125m, A 50m Dm a 58m Am a 15m Lw and a 60m Striker! Meanwhile Leeds had 1/3 of that spend sitting at home injured!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

They have. Though injuries have meant they haven't actually played all their signings together yet. But I suspect that when all 4 (3 internationals for Spain and Germany) are fit and the team is settled, they will be more solid.

Llorente, Rodrigo and ???? I doubt Hernández or Cassilla make their squad for a few years.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Llorente, Rodrigo and ???? I doubt Hernández or Cassilla make their squad for a few years.

Robin Koch...

Robin Koch is a full German international!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

MOTD experts surprised at Aurier crashing into Forfana for the penalty today.

They mustn't have watched Wednesday's game, where he battered Mane, along with Sissoko, for the 80 minutes he could keep up with him. The difference today was VAR was awake and called it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

MOTD experts surprised at Aurier crashing into Forfana for the penalty today.

They mustn't have watched Wednesday's game, where he battered Mane, along with Sissoko, for the 80 minutes he could keep up with him. The difference today was VAR was awake and called it.

aurier was always suspect. even when mourinho was giving his injury speech and naming all the players he didn't mention aurier.

either he forgot about him, or he wasn't definite to start. either way, he's a big weak link

adaminho wrote: »
    Robin Koch is a full German international!
    Robin Koch...

Hes the German international. You said 4 (3 for Spain and Germany).....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,007 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hes the German international. You said 4 (3 for Spain and Germany).....

Ah, I see where there's a mixup on the interpretation - their full point was;
    "Though injuries have meant they haven't actually played all their signings together yet. But I suspect that when all 4 (3 internationals for Spain and Germany) are fit and the team is settled, they will be more solid."

As in - when all 4 signings (3 of whom are internationals for Spain and Germany) are fit and settled, they will be more solid.

Llorente, Koch, and Rodrigo being the 3 international's, and Raphinha being the 4th big signing.

(Costa and Meslier were also reasonably big signings at 20m for the pair, but both were already at the club on loan last season, so aren't part of the point of players settling in)

Ah, I see where there's a mixup on the interpretation - their full point was;
    "Though injuries have meant they haven't actually played all their signings together yet. But I suspect that when all 4 (3 internationals for Spain and Germany) are fit and the team is settled, they will be more solid."

As in - when all 4 signings (3 of whom are internationals for Spain and Germany) are fit and settled, they will be more solid.

Llorente, Koch, and Rodrigo being the 3 international's, and Raphinha being the 4th big signing.

(Costa and Meslier were also reasonably big signings at 20m for the pair, but both were already at the club on loan last season, so aren't part of the point of players settling in)

Ahh bingo got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I had now real care if WBA stayed up or went down before the sacked Billic now that they have Big Sam in I really hope they go down

West Brom have hired Pardew, Pulis, Allardyce & Hodgson.

They, along with Palace, should never be allowed in the PL ever again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Did Big Sam just turn his back at the final whistle and walked down the tunnel without acknowledging anyone?

you just can't teach that kind of class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

gimli2112 wrote: »
    you just can't teach that kind of class

He went mad at Benitez and Klopp for much less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

No he acknowledged Villa manager with a fist bump and 4th official.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Wolves struggling with Burnley's variation of football. With Jiminez out I don't know what Nuno is thinking not playing Traore or even Fabio Silva as a goal threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I see young Trent is joint top this season for successful tackles in one on one's maybe the fake argument he can't defend will end,,
    All stems from two mistake he made one at old Trafford and another to Zaha in his first season at 19

That Burnley win has definitely put Arsenal in the thick of a relegation dog fight.

They have Chelsea up next. A win could transform their season. Anything else and Arteta will be under serious pressure.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement