Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 153: Please post questions here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alangers

Thurston? wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if there's a dish for Saorsat, but you could hook up 1 of the 'mystery' cables & try a single transponder scan. (Won't matter which satellite position you select from the list.)

I don't know if the 'LNB freq.' section of the 'Antenna Settings' menu includes an option for the type of KA band LNB that's generally used for Saorsat but, you can leave it at 'Universal 9750/10600', & use these settings: 10765 MHz, vertical polarity, symbol rate 25000. The FEC is 2/3, should you need to enter it.

Thanks. I'll try it out. I could take a pic of the 2 dishes later. One is defo a sky dish. I have a feeling though the random coax cable behind my tv is for a connection to a cctv system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

A question, mine has few v1.28b6 fw, there's a v1.29b8 which I've pulled from the Ferguson site but when I try to update, it gives a bin mismatch error message (obviously I didn't force it)

Is this expected or a bad sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

A question, mine has few v1.28b6 fw, there's a v1.29b8 which I've pulled from the Ferguson site but when I try to update, it gives a bin mismatch error message (obviously I didn't force it)

Are you definite the version you downloaded is for the 153?

You were right not to force it. You could try downloading and reinstalling just in case it got corrupted some way.

Finally, was there a reason you wanted to upgrade the firmware? Unless there is a reason, it's generally best to leave it alone.

Snarky Snark Snark

Pretty certain. http://bit.ly/1NeqVgg

Wanted to see if it solved a remote issue

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

There is an issue with that firmware that ferguson have so far not resolved.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
    Snarky Snark Snark

Tony wrote: »
    There is an issue with that firmware that ferguson have so far not resolved.

groovy, shall wait for a later version, or a later later version

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Liverpool1981

Just wondering how i can get a 7 day epg for the saorview channels? At the moment mine doesn't show up anything, even on the likes of RTE etc

Try powering the box off and then on using the switch on the back.

Just wondering how i can get a 7 day epg for the saorview channels? At the moment mine doesn't show up anything, even on the likes of RTE etc

Powered off box and done as you said. Seems in the guide I have to go in and click on each channel to show up now and next in the guide, otherwise it's blank. Don't have a 7 day EPG anywhere.

What happens if you press the button on your remote marked "guide", under the "9" button?

• Advertisement

The guide comes up and if for example i'm on channel 4, the current programme and next programme on channel 4 will come but everything else will be blank. I have to click on each channel individually to get what's currently on and what's on next. No sign on 7 day epg though.

There's no 7 day guide on the satellite channels just on the Terrestrial Channels i.e. in the DVB-T listing. (assuming you have an aerial connected.) So if you have an aerial connected you should be able to see a 7 day guide on the Saorview channels ( as per your original question) but you won't get anything beyond "now and next" on any of the satellite channels.

Even on the likes of RTE etc there is no 7 day epg

Press "OK" then scroll left or right and see if you have a list of channels including RTE with DVB-T at the top.

Select RTE from that. Then press "Guide" and it should give you the 7 day guide.

If you don't have the DVB-T listing, then you're viewing RTE satellite channel and you won't get a 7 day guide on that.

Did as you said and I think i'm viewing the satellite channel. How do I get the saorview channels with DVB-T?

You'll have to connect a working aerial to the aerial socket and do a terrestrial scan.

I have the coax coming into box from satellite, did scan and said no programs found.

You have your satellite feed as you describe. You will also need a feed from an aerial to be connected to the Aerial in connection.

You seem not to have this so you wont be able to get the Terrestrial channels.

Oh ok no worries, thanks for the help anyways.

So getting to grips with the Ariva 153 but I am finding the box freezes quite often. The picture plays on the channel you're watching but when you try to change channel it's frozen to that channel. You have to switch it on and of to move up a channel. Anyone experience this or have a solution.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Do you have a hard drive or USB stick connected ? If so disconnect the stick or drive for a while and see if the problem still occurs .

Alangers wrote: »
    So getting to grips with the Ariva 153 but I am finding the box freezes quite often. The picture plays on the channel you're watching but when you try to change channel it's frozen to that channel. You have to switch it on and of to move up a channel. Anyone experience this or have a solution.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SoJoMo

Following on from a question above where user had to open each sat channel to get the now and next to fill out.... Is this normal?
    I ask because it is one of the reasons why I wanted to change from my triax 537 and am looking at the 153.
    The Guide menu does not show up any now/next programmes for a channel unless I have recently viewed that channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

SoJoMo wrote: »
    The Guide menu does not show up any now/next programmes for a channel unless I have recently viewed that channel.

With mine, this is accurate. When you settle on or click onto a channel, it then appears to get its EPG info.

AFAIK, it's not supported on standard Satellite transmissions - only now/next. Its a bit of a pain if you've come from the Sky world when you have to start thinking in terms of start dates/times and programme durations to set a record going for Satellite channels or if you just want to check what's coming next two hours later.

You get a larger guide for Saorview channels if you are going to use it for that - not sure how far into the future but certainly programming for current day (perhaps more too) is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭SoJoMo

Aye, but what I'm saying is that even the now/next does not show until the channel is viewed
    So I guess that is the same for all these kind of boxes and is a limitation of the freesat tech.

Correct?

This happens because combo boxes use whats called EIT data which is different to the Freesat EPG which is a data stream for all freesat channels. As freesat will not allow anyone to use their EPG it means that the information will only appear when you select the channel as the info is contained in the channels transmission and not in a separate data stream.

Hope this makes sense

Aye, but what I'm saying is that even the now/next does not show until the channel is viewed
    So I guess that is the same for all these kind of boxes and is a limitation of the freesat tech.

Correct?

Hi Tony

I have a usb connected so I can pause and record TV. If it's not connected it tends not to freeze but then defeats the purpose of being able to have one connected.
    Do you have a hard drive or USB stick connected ? If so disconnect the stick or drive for a while and see if the problem still occurs .

Following on from a question above where user had to open each sat channel to get the now and next to fill out.... Is this normal?
    I ask because it is one of the reasons why I wanted to change from my triax 537 and am looking at the 153.
    Yeah it's a real pain alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I have a usb connected so I can pause and record TV. If it's not connected it tends not to freeze but then defeats the purpose of being able to have one connected.

In terms of troubleshooting the problem from what you've posted (and assuming the firmware on your 153 is not buggy) it is pointing potentially towards the USB drive that you are using. Can you detail what kind of a USB drive that you are using. Speed can be all important. If you check back on my posts I had an issue with recordings which initially appeared to be (and was) corruption within the file system, but since the live pause/recording continued to give bizarre problems - freezing, not recording properly, etc... So I replaced the USB hard drive and problem appears resolved ie. the issue while it appeared to be with the 153 was actually the USB hard drive that was at fault.

I know from another TV that I have with a hard drive attached that speed of those drives can be all important. That other TV that I have has a much older drive with a USB 2.0 interface and it barely copes/regularly disappoints me on pause of live TV etc...

So, i'm suggesting that you rule out the USB drive itself (obviously, if you haven't already done so). If you don't have a spare hard drive, can you borrow one? If its a USB thumb/stick drive, is it a 'quality' one or a cheaper white label one. Generally nothing wrong with white label drives in terms of capacities but you can be more likely to get a dud, or poorer performing drives (slower, lower throughput, or greater retries on writing data).

Anyhow, just something to check through.

Then that suggests that the hard drive drawing too much power from the ariva power supply which in turn would lead to the freezing you described . This is the reason I asked if you had a hard drive connected, I'm well aware you would not be able to record without one. Try testing with a USB stick if you have one.

Hi Tony

• Advertisement

Hi Tony.

I was thinking a dedicated USB (new one) might be better alright. I had been using a USB stick and then tried a hard drive I use for a lot of my files and it was still happening. I'd like to start with a totally new USB hard drive which might solve the issue.

Thanks for the advise.

Then that suggests that the hard drive drawing too much power from the ariva power supply which in turn would lead to the freezing you described . This is the reason I asked if you had a hard drive connected, I'm well aware you would not be able to record without one. Try testing with a USB stick if you have one.

Advertisement