Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 153: Please post questions here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks for the recommendation. Yes there's no need for you to spend any money if the 150 is working ok.

Reesy wrote: »
    Thanks Tony. I'll stick with the 150 so. Next door neighbours are interested in an install, I recommended you...

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Tony wrote: »
    ...if the 150 is working ok.
    Thanks Tony. I've never done a s/w upgrade on our 150 since it was installed in summer 2012. Is your advice still to stay with current s/w unless I have a particular problem?

Absolutely yes :)

Reesy wrote: »
    Thanks Tony. I've never done a s/w upgrade on our 150 since it was installed in summer 2012. Is your advice still to stay with current s/w unless I have a particular problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

Can you load a channel list via USB or do you have to use a Null modem cable?

Also where can I get a channel list?

USB is the way to go , you would only use a Null modem cable if you were re flashing a box that had the "ASH" error message. The channel list are posted on this thread from time to time.

Can you load a channel list via USB or do you have to use a Null modem cable?

Also where can I get a channel list?

• Advertisement

If anyone needs to re tune RT and NHK HD just go to either channel then select TP list from the menu and edit the symbol rate from 27500 to 23000. This will save you having to re scan and edit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Lost ITV1+1 and ITV4+1. Coming up as scrambled. Are they gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭habanerocat

USB is the way to go , you would only use a Null modem cable if you were re flashing a box that had the "ASH" error message. The channel list are posted on this thread from time to time.

So if I generate a channel list, can I save it to a USB stick and then upload it to another Ferguson Ariva 153?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

wobbles wrote: »
    Lost ITV1+1 and ITV4+1. Coming up as scrambled. Are they gone?

ITV4+1 and several ITV1+1s 10758 V 22000 5/6 DVB-S QPSK

Yes if you generate a dump file (backup.abs) you can upload that to another 153 just be careful if you see a "bin mismatch" warning and do not proceed if this happens. You can also generate a "save channel list" chlist.bin file which should only be used with the same firmware version, the advantage of .bin is that it can be set as "default.db" (default database) which mean the box will default to this if you carry out a factory reset.

So if I generate a channel list, can I save it to a USB stick and then upload it to another Ferguson Ariva 153?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Liverpool1981

Hi guys,

Quick question if you don't mind. I've recently got rid of Sky and have an Amiko Alien box downstairs & Arriva 153 upstairs. I've only had the arriva a few days and freezing a bit, so I have to logout and connect back up and works ok..... getting annoying though.

With the Amiko i can set a time schedule to scan the channels if frequency changes. Don't know if that's my problem with Arriva but I was wondering can you schedule scans on Arriva like on the Amiko?

Also I have homeplug setup, I new to it but when I go into my webtv, it says downloading... but nothing happens or No data! How do I know it's connected to internet?

I'm afraid no automatic scan/update is possible with the ariva. If you check network settings you should see whether you are connected to the internet or not.

Hi guys,

With the Amiko i can set a time schedule to scan the channels if frequency changes. Don't know if that's my problem with Arriva but I was wondering can you schedule scans on Arriva like on the Amiko?

Also I have homeplug setup, I new to it but when I go into my webtv, it says downloading... but nothing happens or No data! How do I know it's connected to internet?

I'm afraid no automatic scan/update is possible with the ariva. If you check network settings you should see whether you are connected to the internet or not.
    Thanks Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Has anyone experienced loss of recordings on their Ariva 153? Went to view a recording today to find recordings prior to 15th of the month have disappeared for some unknown reason. All of them prior to 15th. Lots of free disk space on the hard drive attached to the 153.

Pity as I had a good few recordings which I'd hoped to watch over Christmas :(. Bummer...

Just wondering is there a known bug, or is there a rescan of the hard drive in settings or maintenance mode to 'find' lost recordings?

for posterity, and should someone comes across this issue again - it appears that my external USB drive which I have attached to the Ariva had some kind of corruption within its file system - oddly, the Ariva continued to work with it but plugging it into a PC (windows or linux based) wouldn't allow it to be read.

A CHKDSK on Windows of the drive itself (with the /f option) repaired the drive's file system. Now the recordings which i referred to above still aren't available through the normal recordings menu, but the CHKDSK repair has put lots of TS files (transport stream which the ariva produces) into a found.001 folder on the drive, which if you view on the media player it will play them so all not lost (albeit a little more awkward to navigate to - and you lose some of the program information). A few of the later recordings are mangled though and won't play.

Anyhow, problem solved. Not sure how it happened or what to do to stop it from happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Anyhow, problem solved. Not sure how it happened or what to do to stop it from happening again.

It creates a directory with metadata which can become mangles from being connected/disconnected.

From memory deleting this directory may be the fix

New to the Arriva, just a couple of questions i have.

1) How do I update my box? Is it a case where I can access updates via the box itself or do I have to go online, save to usb and then insert into box? I have no idea about ftp and the likes.

2) I have an external hard drive, when I try to record it says "No record partition". I tried a 4gb usb stick, when I try to record it says "space to low".

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If the box is doing what you need without any problems, I wouldn't bother with the updates to be honest.

Format the drive to either NTFS or FAT32 using your PC and the box should be able to see it.

In process of formatting to NTFS as FAT32 didn't work. Computer recognises it fine.

Box is working fine alright, was just playing around with it and was wondering if how difficult it is to update? WebTV and Youtube don't seem to work, that prompted me to start fiddling around with it. I just thought maybe I could check for an update on the box itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Anyone had a problem with this box where when changing channels, the remote "freezes" for 5-10 seconds when going up or down the channel listing?

• Advertisement

Anyone had a problem with this box where when changing channels, the remote "freezes" for 5-10 seconds when going up or down the channel listing?

Try fresh batteries in the remote if you haven't done so already. I've found the ariva 153 remote to be relatively hard on batteries or maybe I've just not been using good enough branded ones :o

Anyway, mine becomes a little unresponsive when batteries are wearing out. The blue flashing power button seems to dim a little too than which it was when the batteries were fresh, and eventually the blue flashing power button dies altogether yet the remote will still work for another while until batteries are fully dead. In the meantime the remote may appear somewhat unresponsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Try fresh batteries in the remote if you haven't done so already. I've found the ariva 153 remote to be relatively hard on batteries or maybe I've just not been using good enough branded ones :o

Anyway, mine becomes a little unresponsive when batteries are wearing out. The blue flashing power button seems to dim a little too than which it was when the batteries were fresh, and eventually the blue flashing power button dies altogether yet the remote will still work for another while until batteries are fully dead. In the meantime the remote may appear somewhat unresponsive.

Yeah, tried that one already and no go, it just seems to freeze when going up or down the channels.

There is a later firmware version on the Ferguson website, might try that at the weekend to see if it helps.

Can you get a 7 day epg for the Arriva?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

No.

Ok cheers :(

Only on saorview channels

Thanks Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Alangers

New to the whole freeview box set up as just moved house and can't get UPC and not a big fan of sky. There are 2 dishes on the house just need to find where they are cables too. I know one is for Astra and other possibly for saorsat but not sure. Any way I can find out? I have my 153 box set up with UK channels and am using an indoor antenna for saorview but can't get a good signal. It drops RTE all the time. Thinking of trying a re scan with one of the other aerials at the back of my TV to see if it will pick up saorsat. Is this possible in Ariva 153??? Any advise welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Alangers wrote: »
    I have my 153 box set up with UK channels and am using an indoor antenna for saorview but can't get a good signal. It drops RTE all the time. Thinking of trying a re scan with one of the other aerials at the back of my TV to see if it will pick up saorsat. Is this possible in Ariva 153?

I'd be surprised if there's a dish for Saorsat, but you could hook up 1 of the 'mystery' cables & try a single transponder scan. (Won't matter which satellite position you select from the list.)

I don't know if the 'LNB freq.' section of the 'Antenna Settings' menu includes an option for the type of KA band LNB that's generally used for Saorsat but, you can leave it at 'Universal 9750/10600', & use these settings: 10765 MHz, vertical polarity, symbol rate 25000. The FEC is 2/3, should you need to enter it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Alangers wrote: »
    New to the whole freeview box set up as just moved house and can't get UPC and not a big fan of sky. There are 2 dishes on the house just need to find where they are cables too. I know one is for Astra and other possibly for saorsat but not sure. Any way I can find out? I have my 153 box set up with UK channels and am using an indoor antenna for saorview but can't get a good signal. It drops RTE all the time. Thinking of trying a re scan with one of the other aerials at the back of my TV to see if it will pick up saorsat. Is this possible in Ariva 153??? Any advise welcome.

Put your address into this site and select 28E to show you which is pointing to the Astra (sky/freesat) group, 9E is Saorsat.
    It's more likely if they are pointing in different directions to be for 19E or 13E the two most commonly used foreign groups. With the right tuning info the box should be suitable for most satellites. However Saorsat needs a special KA band LNB on the dish and of course Saorsat only carries RTÉ. No TV3, 3e etc

Advertisement