Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Chitchat 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

What's all this talk about splash plates. Are they being banned for derogation farms or everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Going, full stop. This is part of the national agri effort to reduce emissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    Where is the best value for milking gloves?

safetydirect.ie.

about 70euro for 1000 delivered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Water John wrote: »
    Going, full stop. This is part of the national agri effort to reduce emissions.

Gone, full stop. I’d to upgrade the tanker over a year ago, at my own expense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

mf240 wrote: »
    What's all this talk about splash plates. Are they being banned for derogation farms or everybody.

No splash plate after 15th June on derogation farms and will probably be banned altogether for those farms.

And derogation looking to apply for farms at 135kgs rather than 170kgs so more farms being brought into needing a derogation. That's 1.5 cows/ha so a fairly low stocking rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

Gone, full stop. I’d to upgrade the tanker over a year ago, at my own expense...

Sorry if I confused you, I'm talking about ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Anyone else seeing a poor response to KAN+S? I've paddocks grazed over 3 weeks ago, fertilized with 25 units about 18 days ago and there's hardly a cover of 500 in between the dungpads and the grass is gone yellow looking. It's what I'd expect to see if I put out no fertilizer.
    Luckily this ground isn't needed for grazing this time round as the first cut ground has taken its place in the rotation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Anyone else seeing a poor response to KAN+S? I've paddocks grazed over 3 weeks ago, fertilized with 25 units about 18 days ago and there's hardly a cover of 500 in between the dungpads and the grass is gone yellow looking. It's what I'd expect to see if I put out no fertilizer.
    Luckily this ground isn't needed for grazing this time round as the first cut ground has taken its place in the rotation

All I’ve been spreading for last 2 months or so grass growing fine ,going with about 80 kg per he after cows .what are p k indexes and ph like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭alps

You're worrying me....just ordered it to cover our N requirements for the rest of the season...

And speculation that the protection used doesn't stay effective for longer than 3 months in the bag, so no good holding it over till Spring...

• Advertisement

mahoney_j wrote: »
    All I’ve been spreading for last 2 months or so grass growing fine ,going with about 80 kg per he after cows .what are p k indexes and ph like

What that in old money MJ?

alps wrote: »
    And speculation that the protection used doesn't stay effective for longer than 3 months in the bag, so no good holding it over till Spring...

You could be onto something maybe. I bought this stuff in January, it was delivered in early February. Maybe it's last year's stock

I still have a few bags left, so if things get back to normal I intend to spread half paddocks with it and other half with S-CAN.

Indexes and pH are fine, a bit high if anything as these paddocks are beside the yard

What that in old money MJ?

Around 24 units of N/ac? 32kgs/ac of 38%N if I'm doing the sum right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Pigtails getting very hard to push into the ground in some paddocks here. No major surprise given its the 1st of July I suppose, however bit of rain would be well welcome. I was in 2 mind about bothering to put any fert on the silage ground outblock for a 3rd cut (got loads of silage already l, but think I'll go with something to keep my options open incase I need to zero graze it or afew more leafy bales later on.

Around 24 units of N/ac? 32kgs/ac of 38%N if I'm doing the sum right

Your maths correlate with mine !!!!!

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Pigtails getting very hard to push into the ground in some paddocks here. No major surprise given its the 1st of July I suppose, however bit of rain would be well welcome. I was in 2 mind about bothering to put any fert on the silage ground outblock for a 3rd cut (got loads of silage already l, but think I'll go with something to keep my options open incase I need to zero graze it or afew more leafy bales later on.

Lot topping /baleing of paddocks here up to Friday due to ideal growing conditions ,not much rain in order this week so nothing topped or baled,lovely bank grass ahead solids rising milk steady and 2.19kgms .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Put out liquid fert at the wkend on silage ground 60 units so be interesting to see how that goes. Got slurry a week ago. Have 24 2.5 10 for grazing ground and can + s along with a small bit of urea in the yard. Mowed just shy of 10% of mp this morning, maybe should have done more. A few paddocks need tidying, pulled ration a bit in order for the cows to do a bit of work and hit the tank a fair wallop but going into paddocks previously baled so will hopefully recover

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Mooooo wrote: »
    Put out liquid fert at the wkend on silage ground 60 units so be interesting to see how that goes. Got slurry a week ago. Have 24 2.5 10 for grazing ground and can + s along with a small bit of urea in the yard. Mowed just shy of 10% of mp this morning, maybe should have done more. A few paddocks need tidying, pulled ration a bit in order for the cows to do a bit of work and hit the tank a fair wallop but going into paddocks previously baled so will hopefully recover
    How you spreading liquid fert Moo? Or should I say how are you handling it, making it up etc?

Thought it was only tillage fellas doing liquid and not even many of them doing it in ireland

Panch18 wrote: »
    How you spreading liquid fert Moo? Or should I say how are you handling it, making it up etc?

Thought it was only tillage fellas doing liquid and not even many of them doing it in ireland

Contractor sprayed it thru merchants, barretts in copeen

Your maths correlate with mine !!!!!

Phew!

It's always dodgy doing maths on someone elses figures. I was looking at that for spreading here so guessed it was the 38% as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Mooooo wrote: »
    Contractor sprayed it thru merchants, barretts in copeen

And do it find it better than granular? Does it get a better uptake in dry weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭straight

Lot topping /baleing of paddocks here up to Friday due to ideal growing conditions ,not much rain in order this week so nothing topped or baled,lovely bank grass ahead solids rising milk steady and 2.19kgms .

How many kg nuts are you on for that? I cut mine back from 4 to 3 and it hit the tank a bit but recovering now again.

straight wrote: »
    How many kg nuts are you on for that? I cut mine back from 4 to 3 and it hit the tank a bit but recovering now again.

4.4 kg average range 2 to 8 kg

I'm after getting invited to participate in the greenbreed program with icbf. Seems like it may be worthwhile. Any other thoughts out there?

I'm after getting invited to participate in the greenbreed program with icbf. Seems like it may be worthwhile. Any other thoughts out there?

Never heard of it Straight...youll have to give us the low down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

I'm drying off a few cows last Thursday with recurring mastitis/SCC issues for culling, I'd them down to c. 10l on hay and dried them off and put them into a bare old field. One of them has a bag full of milk, should I milk her out or toughen and leave her?

Pressure on growth starting here now. This paddock grazed 2 days ago and shallower soil starting to show up now.
    LX0AlvE.jpg

Never heard of it Straight...youll have to give us the low down?

5 year project to achieve greater genetic gain in environmental and economic efficiency. Establish optimal breeding program to reduce the dairy sectors environmental footprint. Receive large discounted rates off genotyping, free tech weighing of all stock and free bcs scoring of cows.
    Think I'll go for it once they don't interfere with my own breeding plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'm drying off a few cows last Thursday with recurring mastitis/SCC issues for culling, I'd them down to c. 10l on hay and dried them off and put them into a bare old field. One of them has a bag full of milk, should I milk her out or toughen and leave her?

I'd leave her be unless she's sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Milk her out again. That's what I do if any cow has a big bag of milk after being dried off any way

• Advertisement

Pressure on growth starting here now. This paddock grazed 2 days ago and shallower soil starting to show up now.
    LX0AlvE.jpg

That's quick after all the rain we've got and no serious heat. How much soil is there? Is it over gravel or rock and what kind?

Would leaving higher residuals be better if the land is that vulnerable?

Milk her out again. That's what I do if any cow has a big bag of milk after being dried off any way

As the replies were 50/50 I'll milk out one side and leave the other. I'll present the initial findings at Moorepark on Wednesday. ... :D

That's quick after all the rain we've got and no serious heat. How much soil is there? Is it over gravel or rock and what kind?

Would leaving higher residuals be better if the land is that vulnerable?
    We haven't had much rain in the last 2 weeks but plenty of warmth.

It's over solid limestone, about an inch there in that rise and on the left as well. The rest of the field would be 4 to 6", able to be ploughed but you'd want to like picking stones:D

There's good warmth in the soil atm so the first few days will be OK but it'll stop dead in 2 or 3 days time without some rain. That paddock was baled in the second last rotation so it's very clean and even.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭The Rabbi

5 year project to achieve greater genetic gain in environmental and economic efficiency. Establish optimal breeding program to reduce the dairy sectors environmental footprint. Receive large discounted rates off genotyping, free tech weighing of all stock and free bcs scoring of cows.
    Think I'll go for it once they don't interfere with my own breeding plans.

I doubt that the free bcs scoring will interfere with you scoring.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Its that time of year again here when a mans mind turns to balls and cocks or put it another way ballcocks.i bought an xtraflo ballcock recently and seems to be working well.anyone else have experience with them

Spoke earlier today to an employee of a large Irish Coop.
    He told me that many, many dairy farms are in debt (merchant credit) to the tune of €1k/cow, and that it’s no bother for the Coop at all. He mentioned that this years fert would be included in that.

I personally find it a bit incredible...

Could it be close to the truth?

He told me that many, many dairy farms are in debt (merchant credit) to the tune of €1k/cow, and that it’s no bother for the Coop at all. He mentioned that this years fert would be included in that.

Ya that sounds about right. We're fecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭visatorro

Not being smart but I find that very hard to believe. If it is then its huge for merchant debt. But if there isn't a heap of farms up for sale next year then they are getting away with it and everything will be fine!

40% of dairy farmers have no debt which gives the other 60% an average of about €200K debt, as far as I recall.
    Mostly it's the smaller/medium guys have little debt so €1K/cow is about right. Not sure if that figure includes merchant credit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Heard some banks are now looking for co-op trading statements when some farmers are applying for loans

40% of dairy farmers have no debt which gives the other 60% an average of about €200K debt, as far as I recall.
    Mostly it's the smaller/medium guys have little debt so €1K/cow is about right. Not sure if that figure includes merchant credit.

Do them figures include personal debt such as mortgage, credit cards, etc?

Farming enterprise debt I think. The original effort was to spread the debt over all farmers to show how low it was, on average, saying it was only around €100K/dairy farm.

Farming enterprise debt I think. The original effort was to spread the debt over all farmers to show how low it was, on average, saying it was only around €100K/dairy farm.

I originally took debt in that context to mean farm lending from banks as opposed to credit merchant , etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a load in that post..

First and most importantly how do you know those facts and figures to be correct?
    Teagasc profit monitor?
    What percentage of dairy farmers hand in a profit monitor to teagasc?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Heard some banks are now looking for co-op trading statements when some farmers are applying for loans

He’s an old friend of mine and wouldn’t be making it up. It’s the €1000/cow I find startling...but then again it’s probably a lot easier than going to the pillar banks.

• Advertisement

Cannot remember the source, a couple of months back. I think it was a report done by one of the banks, but remember what was being stated clearly.
    Again not sure but thought it incl merchant credit. Milk processors esp, have tightened that up a lot.
    The other side is know of a hardware and farm supplier, who sold up to his local coop. His problem was he couldn't collect money outstanding. Sold business and debt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Cannot remember the source, a couple of months back. I think it was a report done by one of the banks, but remember what was being stated clearly.
    Again not sure but thought it incl merchant credit. Milk processors esp, have tightened that up a lot.
    The other side is know of a hardware and farm supplier, who sold up to his local coop. His problem was he couldn't collect money outstanding. Sold business and debt.

Yea it's information collected by the National farm survey every year.
    It's conducted by teagasc in this country and 1000 to 1200 farmers are selected at random.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/dairy/dairy-debt-burden-hits-1-3bn-average-borrowings-total-118446-in-2018-38175906.html

https://www.teagasc.ie/rural-economy/rural-economy/national-farm-survey/

(I was getting worried there for a second and that big brother had a direct line to my bank accounts)..

A Danish sporting friend and his son were here last autumn. The son works as a farm manager on a 300 dairy herd and the debt is €20k/hd. He was saying that’s it’s nothing out of the ordinary in Denmark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

He’s an old friend of mine and wouldn’t be making it up. It’s the €1000/cow I find startling...but then again it’s probably a lot easier than going to the pillar banks.

With the amount of stuff being bought to feed drought affected farms in the worst areas last year,it doesn't sound unusual
    Cows had to be fed
    Noone knew for how long
    Drastic measures like selling up were never a plan
    I know one guy who was spending €400 a day alone for three months on alf alfa bales along with other extra supplements
    Not uncommon
    That farm is still running
    No idea what their CO OP bill looks like, but they'd have got 10 or 12k back in the trading scheme
    A drop in the ocean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Say delete some of your pm's in you inbox!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement