Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Week 3 Recovery

Monday 11th Nov: Circuit Training class followed by 2.18 miles @ 10:56
    My 2nd class, a different trainer and it was tough. Stupidly tried to do an easy run afterwards but legs, were like jelly, it was pouring rain and freezing so gave up. While not on a training plan my coach texted me anyway to tell me not to trying to do runs after those classes and do a very easy few miles beforehand if I have time in future.

Tuesday: 8.01 miles @ 10:09min mile
    This was more like it. Ran with a friend and she’s trying to increase her distance so gave me a little push to do a decent run and encourage her to do it all. A great run.

Wednesday: 30 min Personal Training session in the morn; Run In The Dark 10k that night
    First PT session and it was great. As a result I wasn’t planning to race RITD that night. I decided I’d do the 10k as a progression run. As the day went on, the weather got worse and I was downing lemsip as not feeling great. Tried to bail but I’d encouraged a group of workmates to train for this and they weren’t letting me off. It was chaotic though. I started too far back and couldn’t get passed people so just ran watching I didn’t trip over anybody or anything and picked up the pace when I could. Turned out to be the perfect progression run, done with very few glances at the watch. I won’t do that race again though. It’s a bit dangerous to be honest and leaping over footpaths and potholes and slipping on slippy wet footpaths was a bit unnerving. enjoyed the run at the same time and love that feeling of passing people out from start to finish and finishing strongly.

Friday: 4.5 miles @ 10:05
    Supposed to be 6 miles but was with a friend who was finishing after 4 miles and my stomach was giving me trouble so I finished too.

Saturday and Sunday: Mojo disappeared - no run
    Was just tired and couldn’t motivate myself to run ... so I didn’t. I texted my coach and said I needed a plan to tick off boxes and she’d been working on it anyway so got it over to me that night. Lack of motivation stopped me posting here too and haven’t really been checking in.

————————————————————-
    Week 1: Progression Plan
    So my plan now is about consistently progressing and getting stronger and faster over the next year or so with about 1 race a month planned from January to June in terms of 10 milers or Half Marathons and some shorter stuff thrown in when it pops up. Next race is Togher 5k on December 29th. If I don’t stop eating I’ll roll around it!!

Monday: Circuit Training Class

Tuesday: 8 mile Progression run: 2miles @ 9:45; 2miles @ 9:30; 2 miles @ 9:00, 1 mile @ 8:45; 1 mile @ 8:30
    9:33; 9:41; 9:27; 9:15; 8:55; 9:02; 8:37; 8:26
    First 6 miles with my friend and headed off myself for the last 2. Very enjoyable.

Wednesday: PT
    Was supposed to do 3 miles very easy beforehand but rain made me dither and with all my dithering I never did it. Nice to see some progress already during the PT session after just 3 S&C classes and 1 PT session.

Thursday: 5 miles @ 10:15
    First run in a long time by myself and it was nice. Did a bit extra seeing as I’d skipped the previous day’s run

Friday: 5easy + 10x30s strides @ 90%: 7.75 miles in total
    Back to running with friends. One joined me for the strides too. Nice to get a bit of speed in the legs.

Saturday: 11.5 miles @ 9:48
    With a friend again luckily as I’d have rolled over in bed except I looked at my phone to press snooze and my friend had texted to say she’d meet me just after 8am to run with me. That got me up and we then did a bit over 8 miles before joining parkrun. Felt a bit tired on the 2nd lap of parkrun and a bit thirsty but wasn’t bad for my longest run since DCM.

Week’s total: 32.5 miles

Now at 1424 miles for the year so on track for my last goal of hitting 1500 miles in 2019. should get there before 3 weeks time as going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good to see you back logging K and interesting to read your comments on your post marathon feelings.

I have been much the same with a general malaise feeling post marathon. When you look at the bigger picture though over the last few months of training the tank has been well and truly emptied; the training cycle and days itself takes some much out of you; at some point something is going to give.

It sounds like you are getting back into it now though and throwing in the PT classes will pay dividends in the future. Plenty more gains to be made on the running front;don't put too much pressure on yourself just get back to enjoying running again.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

I think we're all entitled to a little dip in mojo occasionally and honestly i'd say it's to be expected after such a consistent year! You've had very few gaps in your training or racing this year and it can't be easy to keep that intensity (mental as well as physical) going relentlessly. As C said i'd say you well and truly emptied the tank in your ramp up for DCM. Still you managed a nice bit of consistency in your post-dcm recovery and are building up again already. Kudos to you K, you've put in some year and deserve all the rewards you got and no doubt they will continue into 2020, enjoy it :)

Thanks C and E. Still not checking in here too much so trying to catch up this eve on every bodies logs. Too many to comment on.

Week 2 Progression Plan

Monday: S&C class
    These are not getting easier - sweatiest class so far!

Tuesday: WU: 15x1 min AP (7:20-30), CD
    7:18, 7:12, 7:39, 7:35, 7:37, 7:19, 7:51, 7:38, 7:24, 7:35, 7:32, 7:45, 7:49, 7:45, 7:18; 6.06 miles in total

Sports massage first and weather just manky. Soooo tempted not to run. Went onto Strava for inspiration and Eyrie had done her run in the awful weather and Wubble Wubble complimented her so I joined in, took the inspiration and went for my run. The wind was ridiculous. My paces were all over the place. I just went by effort and got all of one out of the 15 in the right range. I can’t say I enjoyed this. It was hard and why am I training for a 5Km when I hate them???

Wednesday: 4.5 miles @ 10:29; 30 min personal training strength session
    Really easy miles before strength session. Could definitely see progress here which was great.

Friday: planned 7 miles moderate (9:00-9:30); Actual: 5.6 miles @ 9:06
    Was looking forward to this but a bit meh actually. The pace was fine. Working slightly harder than I normally would be at that pace but I was well able. I just wasn’t feeling it. My stomach was slightly off and I stopped at the loo which was out of operation. Ran on a bit but was afraid my stomach would cause trouble so just gave up and ran back to the car.

Saturday: 11.16 miles @ 9:36

I ran with my sister in law who was visiting for the weekend. Did the first 8 miles easy and decided to run the last 3 (parkrun) at moderate pace to make up for bailing on Friday. Was tough enough (the moderate miles) though I was chatting to people on the way round.

27.3 miles for the week and only 48 miles to go to my 1500 miles.

I realise I’m slightly negative about my runs this week. Just going to plod on and hopefully will get easier. If I could stop eating my body weight in crap food it might help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done in getting out there in all weather . Dunno how you can do a session after a sports massage - My legs would normally be jellified.

I hear you on the eating thing - silly season ain’t going to be helpful - on the plus side January will be motivational for those spring halves !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Put it down to one of those weeks and the S&C may be having an effect but it will pay off
    remind me when is your 5k again, I do not think I will target another one for maybe another year after Saturday LOL

Baby75 wrote: »
    Put it down to one of those weeks and the S&C may be having an effect but it will pay off
    remind me when is your 5k again, I do not think I will target another one for maybe another year after Saturday LOL

29th December. Rethinking whether I’ll race it though.

Kellygirl wrote: »

plenty of time yet to make a call on that :) things will get better

Is there a point in doing it if you don't race it? I understand doing longer races as training runs but 5k i don't know what benefit there is to treating it as anything other than a race? If you don't expect a PB, that's ok you can still race it, it will give you a benchmark for the distance and a damn good workout. And the beauty of 5ks is they don't take long to recover from so no damage to your HM training either. But that's just my opinion, i'm learning lately that i still have a lot to learn :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Have you had any down time at all this year? I have been following along but maybe not super closely, so sorry if you have and I missed it?

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote: »
    Is there a point in doing it if you don't race it? I understand doing longer races as training runs but 5k i don't know what benefit there is to treating it as anything other than a race? If you don't expect a PB, that's ok you can still race it, it will give you a benchmark for the distance and a damn good workout. And the beauty of 5ks is they don't take long to recover from so no damage to your HM training either. But that's just my opinion, i'm learning lately that i still have a lot to learn :cool:

Yeah, I know I should give it a shot even if I can’t PB. Only benefit of just turning up would be that it’s a nice social one.
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Have you had any down time at all this year? I have been following along but maybe not super closely, so sorry if you have and I missed it?

Not much really. I went from Grads 5-10km to Grads 10k-Hm straight into Dublin training and evening though there were recovery weeks in there, I was all gung ho after each plan to start again. I think I need a few easy weeks now and hopefully will come back out of that round Christmas again. Actually I want to run and train but knowing I won’t PB at Christmas is niggling at me which is why I’m thinking of not racing it and just enjoying training for now. Sick kids are enforcing an easy week now it seems as couldn’t run today and doubt I will tomorrow.

Yeah, I know I should give it a shot even if I can’t PB. Only benefit of just turning up would be that it’s a nice social one.

Not much really. I went from Grads 5-10km to Grads 10k-Hm straight into Dublin training and evening though there were recovery weeks in there, I was all gung ho after each plan to start again. I think I need a few easy weeks now and hopefully will come back out of that round Christmas again. Actually I want to run and train but knowing I won’t PB at Christmas is niggling at me which is why I’m thinking of not racing it and just enjoying training for now. Sick kids are enforcing an easy week now it seems as couldn’t run today and doubt I will tomorrow.

In fairness that's a good enough reason too K, nothing wrong with that at all, a social outlet is the reason a lot of us started this whole running lark after all :)

Hope the sick kiddies feel better soon x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Yep - some easy weeks definitely in order. Be kind to yourself. You'll benefit more in the long run. Hope the little ones are feeling better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck Saturday, run well!!

Week 3 progression plan and 6th week after Dublin

Highlighting the number of weeks since Dublin as seems to have taken the full 6 weeks to get back to myself.

Monday December 2nd - Circuit Training class
    Happy with this. Really felt the progress doing the various exercises.

Tuesday: WU: 8x1 min AP (7:20-30) moderate hill; CD
    I did this workout at the start of October though supposed to be slightly slower - I checked back and all my paces were in the range I was to do for this. However, I couldn’t hit those paces this time so wasn’t overly happy after. Felt like my fitness was well and truly gone. I’ve put on some weight but don’t know if that’s the problem or what.

Wednesday: 30 mins personal training strength session
    Was supposed to do 4 miles very easy before this but a sick child out paid to that. Happy with the session though.

Thursday: 4.12 miles @ 9:42 squeezed in a few miles before school collection.

Friday: 5 miles including 5x20s strides
    All fine except I looked at my training plan later and I was supposed to do 5 miles + 8x20s strides. Away with the fairies. While doing this run I started thinking about parkrun the next morning. It was pacer Saturday. Thought that maybe I should forego my planned 11 mile run and go with the 24 min pacer instead. My 5Km Pb is 23:37 but parkrun is 24:41 officially though I take it to be 24:09 as the course was too long previously. Mentioned it to my coach and she suggested 26 mins instead as a tempo run that would make me feel good after as opposed to perhaps being disappointed with the 24 min run. So plan made for Saturday morning.

Saturday: 7 miles easy @ 9:57 + parkrun in 24:53
    As I ate my breakfast a friend texted to know if I was going out so she joined me and we set off. Ended up a little faster than planned really as a result but that’s ok. Instead of running straight into the back of parkrun I stopped at the car, had a drink of water and then went to the start line. My friend moved us up a bit ahead of the 26 min guy so we wouldn’t be weaving too much and we set off. I could see the 24 min guy ahead of me and pulled back slightly. The pace was fine. I felt I was holding myself back slightly so probably not true 5Km pace which is good! First mile was 8:05. I’d planned around 8:20 but was feeling fine. 2nd mile came in at 8:03 and still felt good but wasn’t able to pick it up for mile 3. In fact it was 8:12. I lost my friend in this mile. Others round me were picking up to sprint earlier than me and I didn’t have it in me to start too early. I ran the last .1 mile in 6:54 though so that wasn’t too bad. So 24:53 and my 2nd fastest parkrun ever. I was delighted to be honest. I finally felt my fitness wasn’t entirely gone and I know that wasn’t 5Km pain either so there’s more in me - especially if I don’t do a 7 mile warm up.

So I’m Back!!

So glad your feeling better now :D all the extra S&C will have had an effect on the legs as well do not forget that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

You're always very hard on yourself!

First and foremost you've had a great year and you should acknowledge that. Leaps and bounds!

Second, unfortunately running improvement isn't linear. It's not a case of every day being easier than the previous. You'll go through peaks and troughs but as long as the gradual progression over time is on an upward curve you're on the right track. I think it's clear with you that's that's definitely the case.

So yep, some days sessions will feel much harder than the same session weeks previous but you'll probably find over time that generally things feel a little easier on average. Stay patient and let it happen :) don't force it.

Now if only I could take my own advice.

You're always very hard on yourself!

First and foremost you've had a great year and you should acknowledge that. Leaps and bounds!

Second, unfortunately running improvement isn't linear. It's not a case of every day being easier than the previous. You'll go through peaks and troughs but as long as the gradual progression over time is on an upward curve you're on the right track. I think it's clear with you that's that's definitely the case.

So yep, some days sessions will feel much harder than the same session weeks previous but you'll probably find over time that generally things feel a little easier on average. Stay patient and let it happen :) don't force it.

Now if only I could take my own advice.

I started to reply the other day P and got distracted and never finished! Thanks for posting. You are right. Dublin was my 6th marathon but the most recovery required out of all of them - but also the most solid block of training. I‘ve always injured myself or something before so had time out of the training block. I’ve never run to my full potential either in any of them so recovery was easier. I just didn’t expect it I suppose and kind of expected some miraculous boost in fitness from the marathon itself :rolleyes:

Ah yeah I get you. You'll get it.. Just not yet. :)

Week 4 Progression plan

Had a plan to follow this week but Christmas brings school plays and such like to attend so had to juggle things round a bit. Decided to do my speed session Monday morning as that required day light and being in the park and everything else could be at night time or squeezed in between appointments.

Monday: WU; 8x90s CV (75s jog); 4x60s AP (60s jog); CD
    CV (7:40-50): 7:48; 7:49; 7:42; 7:29; 7:47; 7:24; 7:29; 7:50
    AP (7:20-30): 7:07; 7:13; 7:02; 7:13

I did a 2 mile warmup and some hip mobility exercises before starting into this. Legs were a bit heavy at the start but it got easier as time went on so that was fine. I was delighted with the session as my first really good one since before Dublin. Back to paces being too fast at times and none too slow. I’d a funny pain behind my left knee which I was very aware of but didn’t hinder me and never felt again for the rest of the week. I’d a pain under my right foot which I assumed was from a pair of high heels I’d worn Saturday night. I ignored that but by Monday night I couldn’t walk properly. Dr Google was frightening me with Plantar Fasciitis and I was limping most of Tuesday.

Tuesday: Planned 4 easy miles before PT Strength
    Couldn’t run and hobbled into the gym which got noticed immediately so my program got changed and did an upper body session. Thought I’d be in a lot of pain the rest of the week but no bother.

Wednesday and Thursday: rest and improvement

Friday: planned 70 mins moderate (9:00-9:30); Actual: 6 miles @ 9:22
    I eased into this keeping the first mile slow but without noticing, then picked up the pace and the run went smoothly. The foot got tender in the last few miles so cut it short by a mile.

Saturday: Planned 10-11 miles on a hilly route with the hills at tempo once; Actual: 7 miles easy and 3 miles tempo (ish) parkrun
    With a friend and we decided to stay in the park. It was freezing but the rain had cleared and we’d clear skies and a full moon starting out. Felt funny running in the park like that but was lovely. I wouldn’t have gone in on my own unless fully bright. We said we’d do parkrun at approx a 9min mile but got carried along and decided it would be a tempo run instead. At some point I should start sticking to my training plan maybe!!

My last mile was my 1500th mile this year. I didn’t hit 1500 last year due to injury so I set out to do it this year. That’s all my goals reached now that I set at the start of the year. PBs at all distances and mileage reached. Happy out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on reaching all your goals for the year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

You've really had an incredible year K. Nice to round it off with the 1500 now, and still a bit of the year left anyway!

Time to pull this log out before it gets lost for ever. After an amazing year, December went rapidly downhill becoming my lowest mileage month of the year. Turns out I’ve got Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot and slightly suspicious of my left this week. December was spent trying test runs, resting, trying again, taking nearly 2 weeks off over Christmas, running the Togher 5Km at a tempo pace, setting myself right back as I was limping 5 mins after it and it was at that point I got onto my physio as rest clearly didn’t help. While waiting for my appointment I got insoles which helped a bit. I could do easy runs sort of but not up the pace at all. I’d physio last Tuesday and my right hip was jammed and that seemed to be the cause. She worked hard on my foot which was torture. It she was very positive that I’d be sorted after so I was over the moon. She told me take it easy this week with a 3, 4 and 5 mile and then up the distance and pace next week. The 3 miles was very tough on Wednesday. I was probably stiff from the physio but I was wondering how I could have gotten so unfit compare to Dublin just 2.5 months ago. Anyway, my foot was very sore after so I was panicking and the physio thought maybe it’s just my body adjusting to the treatment and rest until Sunday. Today a friend was doing a long run and I joined her. We stayed in the park as a I thought I might be giving up after 30 mins. I was sore for a little while, half a mile or so, at the start but was grand after that. Really enjoyed the run in the sun and no wind and just kept running until the end of her run which was 1hr 15 mins for me and 7.5 miles. I was a little sore for the last 20 mins but no worse now really besides a dull ache and just tired but hopefully I’m going to be able to get back on track.

I’ve Seville half marathon this day 2 weeks on the 26th January. Obviously I’m not racing it at this point so I’ll just do it to enjoy it and treat it as a sightseeing run. Today’s 7.5 miles is my longest run since a 10 miler on the 14th December. My goal will be to just run it at a steady pace whatever that pace may be :rolleyes:

I’m not setting goals for 2020 right now. I have a number of 10 milers and races planned and the aim was to chip away at my PBs throughout the year. Now I’m going to be happy just to be able to run easy and consistently and then I can think about speeding up again.

Balls.

Sorry to hear that K. Be super careful because being any way aggressive with plantar can be disastrous. Younganne on here had a bad dose of it I think?

Stay sensible. And positive.

Balls.

Sorry to hear that K. Be super careful because being any way aggressive with plantar can be disastrous. Younganne on here had a bad dose of it I think?

Stay sensible. And positive.

Thanks P. I read back through her log yesterday actually and it frightened me a bit. That’s why I’ll just be happy if I can run easy and consistently for a while as I do not want to lose too much of the fitness I built up.

really hoping it goes quicly K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Be careful with that K a time for patience. A sensible approach will hopefully pay dividends. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Tennis ball is your best friend K, suffered with it for 4 months myself. Roll the hell out of the feet, it will be painful, but it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Be careful K. From what I have read that can be a fooker. I read somewhere that to stand facing a wall with the toes of the affected foot bent up the wall while the rest of your foot is flat on the ground does a very good job of easing the fascia..

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote:
    Thanks P. I read back through her log yesterday actually and it frightened me a bit. That’s why I’ll just be happy if I can run easy and consistently for a while as I do not want to lose too much of the fitness I built up.

Not to overly push the point because I know everyone is saying the same. I have a buddy that got it two years ago and still isn't right because he didn't respect it from the start. Think twice about any sort of steady runs or long runs or anything like that. I know you have Seville but even 21km is a risk. Just my tuppence

Advertisement