Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

What a great report K,so happy for you it made my day even better seeing you all and all of you happy with how it all went. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Brilliant K. Tops off a great year for you. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Congrats K! It was great to see you have the courage to give yourself a shot at sub 4 if it was there on the day. Whenever you come back to the marathon your sights will be higher again, much higher!

Thanks for the chats afterwards, and indeed for all your contributions to the novice thread this year! Best of luck with the future plans, the coaching seems to be really suiting you. I think I have a similar plan for 2020 - no marathon, some short stuff and probably a targeted half too! Exciting!

But for now, well done again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done K. Great Report and nice pb ! Sorry to have missed out on Mc Grattans - I would have kilt for a friendly face !

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Well done and congratulations on a huge PB:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Well done K, you backed yourself and ran a savage new PB, massive well done to you. Recover well and enjoy the shorterish stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Well done again K and great to meet a fellow Cork(based) runner in McGrattans. I will have to venture out to Ballincollig for some of my runs in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Congrats K, brilliant run and well deserved PB. You have had some year, serious amount of PBs, a year to be truly proud of! Looking forward to you smashing many more in 2020.
    Loved the report!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Congrats on a massive PB. A really strong run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Had to steal Singer’s table as like the idea of keeping the data to look back on.

Distance|Time|Position|
    10k|59:33|11168|
    20k|01:56:02| 10309|
    Half|02:02:01|10205|
    30k|02:52:11|9001|
    40k|03:50:04|7949|
    Finish|04:03:04|7602

Nice to see I moved up 3,566 places from 10k to the finish. This info is on the TDL event services results page if anybody is looking.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the comments and it was lovely to catch up with people in McGrattans too.
    Treviso wrote: »
    Well done again K and great to meet a fellow Cork(based) runner in McGrattans. I will have to venture out to Ballincollig for some of my runs in 2020

Would love to meet you and Fiona again some day. She is great. The regional park is great for runs.

Recovery going well and went in to try those Normatec boots tonight. Not sure if they did anything. Quads still sore. This marathon is playing games with me and I had notions today of trying to find another in about 6 weeks time where I could run a better race line and maybe a bit flatter to get the sub 4 monkey off my back now that I’ve gotten so close. I’ve had a bit of sense drilled into me and going to put it out of my mind for now. Maybe in a couple of years.

Copied from the goals thread:

Finally updating my marathon pb after 2 years. 10 races and 9 PBs so far this year. Next goal is to hit 1500 miles before year end. Undecided if doing any more races. It’s been a good year and my running has come on a lot.

Distance|2018 PB|2019 PB|Date achieved
    5 km| 24:32|23:37|21/5/19
    Parkrun | 25:25|24:09|2/2/19
    5 mile|40:50|39:56|17/2/19
    10 km|53:47|48:22|25/8/19
    10 mile|1:31:12|1:25:15|7/4/2019
    HM|1:58:44|1:53:04|2/6/2019
    Marathon|4:20:05|4:03:04|27/10/2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Absolutely delighted for you K! Enjoy the year ahead and already looking forward to reading about more excellent days at the office!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

An impressive list there K! Can’t wait to see next years improvements . ! I might copy your idea there and give myself a boost !

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Fantastic- well done K

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Had to steal Singer’s table as like the idea of keeping the data to look back on.

Distance|Time|Position|
    10k|59:33|11168|
    20k|01:56:02| 10309|
    Half|02:02:01|10205|
    30k|02:52:11|9001|
    40k|03:50:04|7949|
    Finish|04:03:04|7602

Nice to see I moved up 3,566 places from 10k to the finish. This info is on the TDL event services results page if anybody is looking.

think that table is a good indicator of a well run race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Check out the YouTube live stream from about 5hrs 40 to 5 hrs 43......great shot of you going across the line.

One of the lads in work finished just ahead of you and I spotted you on the video.

Check out the YouTube live stream from about 5hrs 40 to 5 hrs 43......great shot of you going across the line.

One of the lads in work finished just ahead of you and I spotted you on the video.

Thanks a mill C.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Congrats on a great run, you've having a brilliant 2019. Well deserved after all the hard work that your putting in and most importantly you really seem to be enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Congrats on a super run, delighted for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Loved reading that report, well done K!! The positivity just shines out of it. You ran an amazing race and got a hell of a PB to show for it. Hope you're still feeling delighted with yourself. What a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

17 minute PB, and a report to match it :D

Watch your times continue to plummet over the shorter distances, before your marathoning comeback. Well done!

Thank you for all the lovely comments. Still delighted with myself and the marathon and how it went. Did very little this week. Normally kills me not being able to get out running but we took the kids away for midterm and I didn’t want to be leaving them anyway too much. So two runs in total for the week!

Thursday: 4 miles @ 9:57

Ran with my coach and had an easy run dissecting marathon day and making plans for next year. Right IT band was still a bit tight and pain in my side still there. Not sure where to go to get that sorted. Pops up frequently, feels like a stitch but it’s muscular I think.

Sunday: 6.11 miles @ 10:16

Was trying to keep the pace slow but wasn’t comfortable and felt like I was plodding but stride felt off. Ignored the watch after mile 3 and started feeling much better. Was tempted not to stop and do another few miles but I knew that it was prob a better idea to stop. Insisted on wearing my marathon top so was a bit warm really!

Went up to the gym then and signed up for a 6 week package of PT once a week and all classes included. It’s all S&C work and I’m just not good at doing it by myself so decided it’s time to try make it a habit. Have my assessment Wednesday and start after that then.

I’ve also being making a list of races for next year - I won’t be doing all of the 10 milers in Feb / March but not sure which I can or can’t attend right now. I said to my coach I just want to chip away at my PBs throughout the year rather than having one big target race. We’ll also add in the odd 5Km / 10km for speed and to remind me I prefer the longer stuff.

29th December: Togher AC 5Km
    26th January: Seville Half Marathon
    23rd February: Kinsale 10 miler or Adare 10km
    8th March: Duhallow 10 miler
    22nd/29th March: Mallow 10 mile ???
    3rd May: Limerick Half
    31st May: Cork Half
    John Buckley 10 mile
    Charleville Half
    18th October: Amsterdam Half (Booking opens tomorrow - yay)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Kellygirl, I loved reading your race report. I came across your 2017 race report sometime in the summer and it was the first time that I started to think that maybe I could actually enjoy the marathon rather than endure it. That became my real target for the run - I remember saying it to a friend who is very experienced runner and she laughed and said no one enjoys a marathon. Delighted to say that she was wrong - had a great day. It was nice to meet you afterwards and put a face to the name although I was a bit out of it by then and couldn't make the effort to stand up and mingle properly. Well done on another great marathon and pb. And thanks for the inspo!

Ah that’s great to hear Eabha. I think we are lucky here as we are all taught to go out so slow and keep our legs fresh that we can make marathons enjoyable. Son many others go out too fast and end up with a painful experience. I couldn’t think of anything worse even if it means being more conservative than I should be. So glad you enjoyed it and was lovely to meet you. Hard to chat to everybody in McGrattans anyway when it’s so busy and people are exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Next year's going to be exciting I reckon! Not to mention the two races abroad and both in very nice cities, sounds amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

[

I am delighted with my time. Until a few weeks ago I thought 4:10 would be what I may possibly achieved. I got more confident, especially after Galway. I honestly knew that sub 4 was a long shot but until mile 20 I thought I was in with a chance so I am slightly disappointed I didn’t do it. I am wondering what happened that caused the sudden dip in energy - did I run mile 20 too fast? Was it a fuel issue? I took Maurten every 30 mins and had eaten well all week. I was very thirsty in the last 6 miles so was I dehydrated? I was sipping away throughout but had a slight need to go to the loo for the entire race but wouldn’t waste a minute so maybe I was too cautious with the amount I drank. I’ll prob never know. I’m delighted I still had a negative split though.
    Really loved reading your report. You showed remarkable composure when the A goal started to slip out of your reach - that shows just how much you've come on as a runner, I think. Well done on a really great run.
    Copied from the goals thread:

Finally updating my marathon pb after 2 years. 10 races and 9 PBs so far this year. Next goal is to hit 1500 miles before year end. Undecided if doing any more races. It’s been a good year and my running has come on a lot.

Distance|2018 PB|2019 PB|Date achieved
    5 km| 24:32|23:37|21/5/19
    Parkrun | 25:25|24:09|2/2/19
    5 mile|40:50|39:56|17/2/19
    10 km|53:47|48:22|25/8/19
    10 mile|1:31:12|1:25:15|7/4/2019
    HM|1:58:44|1:53:04|2/6/2019
    Marathon|4:20:05|4:03:04|27/10/2019

That table is a thing of beauty!

29th December: Togher AC 5Km
    26th January: Seville Half Marathon
    23rd February: Kinsale 10 miler or Adare 10km
    8th March: Duhallow 10 miler
    22nd/29th March: Mallow 10 mile ???
    3rd May: Limerick Half
    31st May: Cork Half
    John Buckley 10 mile
    Charleville Half
    18th October: Amsterdam Half (Booking opens tomorrow - yay)

Exciting times ahead!
    eabha19 wrote: »
    Kellygirl, I loved reading your race report. I came across your 2017 race report sometime in the summer and it was the first time that I started to think that maybe I could actually enjoy the marathon rather than endure it. That became my real target for the run - I remember saying it to a friend who is very experienced runner and she laughed and said no one enjoys a marathon. Delighted to say that she was wrong - had a great day. It was nice to meet you afterwards and put a face to the name although I was a bit out of it by then and couldn't make the effort to stand up and mingle properly. Well done on another great marathon and pb. And thanks for the inspo!

Me too - It was yours and ariana's report from 2017 that also made me realise a marathon could be enjoyable.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Really loved reading your report. You showed remarkable composure when the A goal started to slip out of your reach - that shows just how much you've come on as a runner, I think. Well done on a really great run.

That table is a thing of beauty!

Exciting times ahead!

Me too - It was yours and ariana's report from 2017 that also made me realise a marathon could be enjoyable.

Thanks for that. I suppose to be honest though that I’d a fair idea I should be able to do sub 4:05 and sub 4 was a maybe and I think I would have been surprised if I did it. I targeted it but cautiously so when I knew it was gone I wasn’t too bothered as long as I did sub 4:05.

Yes, myself and Ariana really had a great time in 2017. Even with the better time in 2019, it doesn’t completely compare to the day out in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm late to the party but i loved your race report K. You managed that race very well. I noticed your average pace was only 1 sec/m outside of 4 hr pace. The extra distance is a killer really :( A huge PB on top of so many other big PBs this year, it's been a cracker for you and it's not even over yet :D
    Thanks for that. I suppose to be honest though that I’d a fair idea I should be able to do sub 4:05 and sub 4 was a maybe and I think I would have been surprised if I did it. I targeted it but cautiously so when I knew it was gone I wasn’t too bothered as long as I did sub 4:05.

Yes, myself and Ariana really had a great time in 2017. Even with the better time in 2019, it doesn’t completely compare to the day out in 2017.

It was an amazing experience. There's something to be said for enjoying this lark and not pushing for aggressive targets every time :)

• Advertisement

Week 2 of recovery

Monday: 5.5 miles @ 11:02 min mile
    Legs heavy enough so took it very easy

Tuesday: 45 mins easy + strides: 6.07 miles @ 9:48
    Had a sports massage to make sure all good after the marathon and he said I could add in some strides at the end of my run I was doing after I left. My legs felt really good after the massage so did 3x20s strides, 2x30s strides, 3x20s strides then. Nice to get the legs moving a bit faster.

Wednesday: 4.15 miles @ 10:05
    Had a gym assessment Wednesday morn and decided to do my first class Thursday so got Thursdays run done Wednesday night. In truth I was looking at the plan I started following after Cork half and I planned to do 50 mins moderate (9-9:20). After finding 9:43 tough for the first mile I decided to just run easy and 4 miles was enough. Not sure why I was even trying to push it.

Thursday: Strength and Conditioning class
    This was good - not exactly enjoyable but I know I need to do it. Signed up to a 6 week package of Personal training once a week and as many classes I want to attend. I’ll be happy if I can do the PT and one class and keep up 5 days running. Still getting over the DOMs from Thursday and have another class tomorrow.

Friday: 7.18 miles @ 9:52
    Met a friend. I was a bit stiff from the class the previous day but seemed ok once I was running. The weather was fab and we really enjoyed it so just kept going. We got back to the cars at 6.5 miles so I kept going to 7 miles then as had planned to do that Saturday anyway.

Saturday: 6.03 miles @ 9:52
    Started out very slow as I was stiff as a poker. Joined the start of parkrun and got chatting to another girl in a Dublin Marathon top and we mattered for the whole run- and got faster and faster as we went. Felt great after.

28.9 miles for the week

Advertisement