Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

16-09-2013, 17:44   #1
gravity121

Heritage Stoves & BPM??

Hi guys,

I'm looking to get an 8kw stove in and spotted a Heritage stove that's reasonably priced from BPM Supplies in Wicklow. Question I'm having is are Heritage any good, Are BPM any good?

This is the particular stove I'm looking at,
http://www.bpmsupplies.ie/beltrastove.html

Quite attractive and a decent price. However when you check out the Heritage website
http://heritagestoves.ie

The website is pretty basic and not very professional, say compared with the Henly website/Brochure which is much more professional looking. Granted, websites aren't everything but are still important.

This would be the other stove I'd be interested in
http://www.bpmsupplies.ie/ernestove.html

Now I prefer the first one aesthetically. Does anyone have any experience of Heritage stoves? How do they rate for build quality, longevity and so on? I did email them and got a one line auto-reply saying out of the office until Monday 30th.

Does anyone have experience of BPM Supplies? How are they to deal with with returns or problems? The guy seemed helpful on the phone when I called up to enquire, but again, he's a salesman.

Any other tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Advertisement
01-10-2013, 23:45   #2
hardwareguy

Ah came across these guys in the longmile road market two years ago, and thats what you might be dealing with, market traders, i was going to buy a stove there, but when i asked about returns if there was a problem he was very avasive (<snip> i think he said his name was long time ago now) and it was cash only and asked for a Vat reciept just to make sure i was covered for a return and was told what did i expect he was in a market,and you can guess walked across the road to a proper shop and got all the questions answered, hope that helps!

Last edited by Boards.ie: Niamh; 18-12-2013 at 10:22. Reason: name removed
19-10-2013, 10:41   #3
littlevillage

Going to give this thread a bump.

I'm looking to buy a Heritage stove too .. The Derg Boiler model. Its rated 12Kw and is an impressive big lump. Just wondering wheres the catch? the price is extremely competitve at €675 .. which is about €200 less than the competitors.

http://www.bpmsupplies.ie/heritagestoves.html

I'm actually going to buy it locally in Galway from Right Price tiles .. for €699.

My plumber gave me a salutary warning when I asked his advice he said "There's plenty that can go wrong with Stoves and boilers, so try to buy a fair good quality one" .. so I'm in limbo as I also don't want to break the bank and buy a Stanley etc. (which anecdotally give plenty of trouble too!!!) but also I don't want to buy a lemon.

Last edited by littlevillage; 21-10-2013 at 09:46.
19-10-2013, 11:19   #4
hardwareguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlevillage View Post
Going to give this thread a bump.

I'm looking to buy a Heritage stove too .. The Derg Boiler model. Its rated 12Kw and is an impressive big lump. Just wondering wheres the catch? the price is extremely competitve at €675 .. which is about €200 less than the competitors.

http://www.bpmsupplies.ie/heritagestoves.html

I'm actually going to buy it locally in Galway from Right Price tiles .. for €699.

My plumber gave me a salutary warning when I asked his advice "There's plenty that can go wrong with Stoves and boilers, so try to buy a fair good quality one" .. so I'm in limbo as I also don't want to break the bank and buy a Stanley etc. (which anecdotally give plenty of trouble too!!!)
Well your better off buying it locally, its a long drive to Wicklow if you have a problem with it, I got two unbranded stoves two years ago, they were way less than half stanley's prices and there is not a bother with them, and you save a fortune on both the stove fuel and our oil bill was cut to about 1/3 of what it used to be.
20-11-2013, 22:44   #5
AckwelFoley

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwareguy View Post
Ah came across these guys in the longmile road market two years ago, and thats what you might be dealing with, market traders, i was going to buy a stove there, but when i asked about returns if there was a problem he was very avasive (Billy i think he said his name was long time ago now) and it was cash only and asked for a Vat reciept just to make sure i was covered for a return and was told what did i expect he was in a market,and you can guess walked across the road to a proper shop and got all the questions answered, hope that helps
Nonsense. That may have happened but it wasn't heritage stoves. Those were knackers selling stoves and anyone buying anything from the likes deserve the hardship they get for buying junk

Heritage stoves are an Irish company owned by the Right Price Tiles Group based in Cork. Some of their stoves are on the lower end generic type but you'll find they have higher quality and higher efficiency stoves at not an awfully higher price.

The lower than expected prices the op mentioned will be because of the reduced links in the supply chain. When I worked in the hardware stoves came through a distributor which added to the cost.

Bpm are about a while. Seem reputable.
Advertisement
24-11-2013, 20:33   #6
tonster01

HELP needed- heritage sheelin insert stove vs Henley achill

Hi all

I am about to buy )tomorrow) either

A heritage Sheelin insert stove
http://www.heritagestoves.ie/stove_d...=34&stoveCat=4

Or the Henley 17kw insert boiler stove

My dilemma is

henley- may be slightly under what I need in power and looks a bit more old fashioned
However it is also more expensive but a better brand and perhaps more reliable

The Heritage is from right price tiles- significantly more power for almost 250 euro less
Howwver I'm not as sure of the brand or reliability here

Can anyone provide any last minute advice before I pull the plunge please?

many thanks

T
25-11-2013, 13:44   #7
littlevillage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonster01 View Post
Hi all

I am about to buy )tomorrow) either

A heritage Sheelin insert stove
http://www.heritagestoves.ie/stove_d...=34&stoveCat=4

Or the Henley 17kw insert boiler stove

My dilemma is

henley- may be slightly under what I need in power and looks a bit more old fashioned
However it is also more expensive but a better brand and perhaps more reliable

The Heritage is from right price tiles- significantly more power for almost 250 euro less
Howwver I'm not as sure of the brand or reliability here

Can anyone provide any last minute advice before I pull the plunge please?

many thanks

T

I nearly drove myself cracked researching and analyzing stoves over the past 3 months. but as a guy on another thread put it .. they are basically just metal boxes that you put fires inside of....I now tend to agree.

I think Sales guys like to create confusion with a little devilment and 'muddy the waters' sufficienty enough to make plebs like you and me pay over the odds for something that we don't really need.

I think all stoves work pretty well .. as long as they are properly installed...that being especially important if you have a boiler stove.

I have it on reasonably reliable advice that 99% of the problems with stoves goes back to the way they were installed to begin with. (source was a plumber friend who has put in and taken out stoves for the past 4-5 years)

My advice go for the cheaper stove ..and spend the dosh you saved on getting it properly installed.

Last edited by littlevillage; 25-11-2013 at 13:49.
25-11-2013, 15:53   #8
tonster01

Hi there

Many thanks for the helpful advice

Yes I am feeling like i am tooing a frooing depending on who i speak to and what sales person tells me what

Think i will just go for the heritage and be done with it!

21KW for 750 euros!

It seems to be much cheaper than that of anything else i can find even on sale!

Thanks again!

T
02-12-2013, 16:26   #9
Mrs Sla

Hello,

Just wondering did you buy the heritage stove? I am considering it too
Advertisement
04-12-2013, 18:46   #10
monkeynuz

I would just like to add my own experiences.

I appreciate I will probably get flamed for this but here goes.

Recently we purchased an "Irish" brand of stove (not a heritage) €900 including enamel finish

It was basically dangerous, it had gaps between the sidewalls and front casting and also was very poorly sealed under the lid, so if you had a really smokey fire smoke would belch from the sides and top.

Stoves should really be better sealed than this because of the obvious safety implications, I first of all got on to the "manufacturer" and said that Iunderstood I should go to retailer but just thought they would want to know about badly made stove of theirs and supply chain back in China should possibly be checked.

They couldn't have given a damn about it so I got back to the retailer and finally got a refund.

I then decided I would do what we originally were going to do and get a better brand of stove, so I looked into firms that were selling local to us, I found one just over an hour away and went over there, well they were much better, they had a massive selection and we ended up choosing a Charnwood Island 2 (€1500ish)

I must say we are absolutely delighted with it and the extra expense shows in the quality of the stove and the finish,so all I am saying is think carefully before going cheap sometimes.
Thanks from:
05-12-2013, 15:58   #11
jack of all

One more important consideration when buying any stove is the future availability of spare parts, I have a small stove fitted for close to five years now and I've had to replace grates, fire bricks etc as they burnt out with use. It all depends on how much you use your stove of course but cast iron parts will burn out over time, glass and fire bricks can break, so all these must be considered as consumables. With a long established name you can rely on those parts being available, with a no-name brand who knows?
Thanks from:
18-12-2013, 14:41   #12
littlevillage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack of all View Post
One more important consideration when buying any stove is the future availability of spare parts, I have a small stove fitted for close to five years now and I've had to replace grates, fire bricks etc as they burnt out with use. It all depends on how much you use your stove of course but cast iron parts will burn out over time, glass and fire bricks can break, so all these must be considered as consumables. With a long established name you can rely on those parts being available, with a no-name brand who knows?

Not sure about Grates (might depend on the riddler mechanism etc,) but ash pan, Firebricks, replacement glass, sealing ropes, handles etc. are all generic parts and can be got in any size from independent retailers and cut to whatever size you like.

Last edited by littlevillage; 18-12-2013 at 14:48.
01-03-2014, 20:02   #13
tonster01

Hi all

Seeing as I relied on all of you so much for advice once buying / choosing which stove to go for- I thought only right to let you know how we got on with it and what we went for in the end

We went with the Rite Price Tiles Sheelin Boiler insert model...

And oh my god are we happy with it!

We renovated an entire house and without fail the one thing every person consistently comments about is the heat of the house

The stove heats all the house and rads amazingly well (3 bed semi)

We are in a smokeless coal zone so had a bit of trial and error here seeing which heats or works best with the stove- for us hands down its calco coal- house is always like an oven

We always have hot water even in the morning and no need for an electric shower

Overall- just take the advice we got initially- a stove is just a big fire in a box

Typically built in or near the same factory as the main brand

Overalls advice is go with the RPT option

Have the price and twice as much bang for your buck

And no- I am not connected with or have any association with RPT

Just a genuinely happy customer

Happy to answer any questions anyone has

One downside was the plumber did say was one of the more difficult stoves he has fitted but again - not going to be your main problem!
(2) thanks from:
01-03-2014, 21:03   #14
monkeynuz

My point earlier being that not all stoves are made equal, our charnwood is made in Britain and nowhere the Chinese factories that made the rpt one or any othe brands for that matter ( Stanley, blacksmith etc.)
20-05-2014, 13:25   #15
entersandlady

Hi Tonster,

I'm in the same pickle you were in & I was just wondering about the heritage stove you bought.

I was just wondering::

1. Does it heat all the radiators (when calculated out I have 12 single rads)?
2. Does it give much heat out to the room? (my living room is roughly 5.2Mt x 4Mt)
3. Have you had any problems with the stove?
4. Did they give you much of a guarantee?
5. Did they give you a certification to prove the heat output for it?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion