Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heritage Stoves & BPM??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

This stove was advertised hugely on donedeal last year but it seems to have died off now for obvious reasons.
    I posted previously on boards that it was a heap of scrap and people were going to be caught by it.Right price tiles/heritage stoves have no certification for this product and many others.They tried to copy the Boru Chieftan which was a 17kw and then call their one a 21kw without any basis.In reality at most it is a 15kw IMO.If it was me I'd take the matter further and request certification for 21kw,if they cannot they are falsely advertising goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 aust82

aust82, I am wondering if you got your Sheelin sorted? I have one and like you the heat output is dismal. I have 9 rads and at the moment I am getting some heat in 6. I have 3 turned off to try and get some heat around the house. The first 2 on the system heat ok, but the further the rads from the Fire the less heat there is. My house is a small bungalow. Only 1030 sq ft. I had the original door replaced 2 weeks and it has now loosened again. The vents on the new door are a fraction open all the time and when I queried this, I was told there is a new regulation since Sept 2014 which prevents vents on stoves being fully closed. I am so frustrated at this stage. I have had this stove fitted since Sept and I have been on the phone to Heritage numerous times and I got the impression the last time that they are sick of me now! My open fire and back boiler was more efficient.

Hi deise just wondering have you done anything with your sheelin? I've mine working now it heats the rads and water. a lot of trial and error with valves. I got a new pump and rads, which I planned on getting anyway, so don't know if that helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Beagletastic

Hi,

I've been following this thread with interest as I'm thinking of buying a Heritage Belleek as they look great. I can't seem to find any bad reviews nor any reviews on Heritage stoves in fact! So I was wondering what the reputation of Heritage stoves is like. They say that all stoves are CA marked for efficiency, output & safety which is a good thing right? They are cheaper as they cut down on distribution costs because RPT own them right? Does anyone on here have a Heritage stove that they've owned for a while & are happy with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 User2017

I have had a heritage stove for a few years and it has been nothing but trouble. We got it originally got it fitted by someone right price tiles in bray recommend and it was burning through a 40kg of coal In a night . So we stopped using it and got Fentons to look at it they said it was fitted dangerously and refitted it which left us €800 lighter. Although it uses less fuel it still burns too Hot, the air controls do nothing so it buckles the grate and incerts . I can not find parts for them either I contacted Heritage via their website and got 1 reply but when I went to order they stopped communicating. I definitely do not recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Beagletastic

Thanks for your posting, do you have a stove/boiler set up? It sounds like it from what you are saying, maybe that leads to more complications. My set up will be room heater only. Oh well I've bought it now, I'll just have to hope that your bad experience was a one off.

• Advertisement

No mine was set up just as a room heater no rads running of it . I would be interested to see how you get on with your one . Me I am going out to look at stanly stoves this weekend because I can find a grate for my heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

User2017 wrote: »
    I have had a heritage stove for a few years and it has been nothing but trouble. We got it originally got it fitted by someone right price tiles in bray recommend and it was burning through a 40kg of coal In a night . So we stopped using it and got Fentons to look at it they said it was fitted dangerously and refitted it which left us €800 lighter. Although it uses less fuel it still burns too Hot, the air controls do nothing so it buckles the grate and incerts . I can not find parts for them either I contacted Heritage via their website and got 1 reply but when I went to order they stopped communicating. I definitely do not recommend.

I'm getting a Heritage Pollmore 7kw fitted by a small local business that have been around for the past 30 years. My neighbor had him install the same unit last year and they're delighted with it.

Can I ask you what type of coal you are using?
    Because from talking to the installer and doing a lot of online reading, coal is too hot to be using in these insert stoves. I was told to use mostly Kiln dried hardwood and if coal only smokeless. I was told that polish coal should never to used. It gets too hot and it's too dirty and that over time it would damage the unit like your buckled gates and insert. I googled kiln dried wood for sale and found several local places that delver for free in my area. So, it's not a fuel that is hard to get.

Also from what I've researched, most of these stoves are all coming out of the same factory's in China only with different badges. Even the Stanley's are now made in China only they're way more expensive because of the name.

Hello
    I was originally burning just kilen dried logs in it but I was putting logs in it every 5 minutes so I switched to grade A bordnamona smokeless coal but again I was up every 15 minutes putting more on I live in Wicklow so I did try the normal polish coal it was no better. So I ended up using anthracite which did last longer but would end up filling it with cinders if it was on for more than a few hours.
    I couldn't justify using that much fuel in The Heritage as I said the air controls did nothing .
    I took it out about Four weeks ago And had a Stanley fitted and I can't believe the difference
    The air control s on it work perfectly and I hardly use any fuel two shovels of coal and two logs is lasting me hours . For the same time using the heritage I could burn best part of a 40 kg bag . And that's not a lie .
    I would say your right about being built in China but the difference is quality control . Also coal burning to hot shouldn't be an issue if the air control s work properly as if it's getting to hot turn it down ! On my heritage they did nothing but on the Stanley I can put the fire Nealy out by turning the air supply off .
    Best of luck if you go for the heritage I mean that. but for me I wouldn't touch them again .!

Like I say, my neighbor have had their Heritage for a year now with no issues and are only using half the fuel they were using before. From the post above it looks like the person who installed yours made a mess of it from day one. Or, maybe you just got a lemon. There are people here that are having issues with the Stanley's too. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057800511

I don't know. I suppose we just have to take a chance on it not being crap with everything we buy these days.

I don't know I had the guy right price tiles recommend fit it when I bought it the I got Fentons in greystones to refit it still made no difference. And when I contacted heritage direct ly in Cork the never got back to me . So I couldn't even get the grate off them . At least with Stanley every where has the bits

• Advertisement

User2017 wrote: »
    I don't know I had the guy right price tiles recommend fit it when I bought it the I got Fentons in greystones to refit it still made no difference. And when I contacted heritage direct ly in Cork the never got back to me . So I couldn't even get the grate off them . At least with Stanley every where has the bits

Wasn't the Heritage you bought under warranty though? The stove I'm getting comes with five years warranty.

Yeah I bought it in right price tiles in Bray came with 5 year's warranty and that's the problem . It doesn't cover inserts door or glass or baffels or "In correct fitting" I paid €800 to get it fitted from the guy they recommended the first time . And when I used it for the first year and thought it was using too much fuel I contacted them and got a generic answer about fitting and door rope etc . The I got Fentons to refit it and they ran a full double walled flue up to the top of the chimney and fitted a new door rope again cost me €800 . And still it was using to much fuel . Then the grate broke and the inserts buckled so i stopped using it . I contacted the directly to order a new grate and I asked if there was any problems with them then he said he would call me back but never did and stopped answing so I used the contacted using the website and got a reply from a guy called Barry who said it would be €30 +€20 for pp for the grate but no mention of the inserts so I contacted again asking about the inserts and problems but again received no reply . So as I couldn't get the parts and couldn't use it as it was I took it out and got the Stanley.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gvm

From my experience it would be hard to recommend RPT or heritage stoves. You may save in the short term but it could be very costly if you encounter any issues.
    I recently purchased a Heritage Clare 6KW stove as part of a whole house refurb. I was planning to just re-do the open fireplace but seeing the sale, I impulse switched to the insert without doing the research! The stoves were not advertised as seconds, and there were none in the showrooms, so it was bought off brochure.
    When my fitter installed it, it was very visually obvious that the internal fire section was out of alignment when the door is closed. I measured it at approx. 4mm and reported it to RPT. RPT in fairness accepted the fault and sent out a new stove.
    However the replacement had exactly the same problem. At this RPT said it was a manufactures problem to solve and told me to contact Heritage directly, who were less than useful. To move along the refurb, I got the fitter to reinstall and with filler and stove paint etc to camouflage the problem, it’s middling at best. It won’t be used much over summer to test it and seeing others experiences and problems over parts availability and quality/cracks and responsiveness of RPT and Heritage is worrying. Part of the problem is the fitter install costs are as much as the cost of the stove so getting a new one unless its same dimensions will be a significant extra cost that a refund won’t cover.
    I am still undecided whether to rip it out again and find a replacement or not, so any advice welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Been quoted c 2k for a Heritage Polleen 7kw inset supplied and installed.

I’d never heard of Heritage before but this thread has me rightly worried.

Advertisement