Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

Options

Comments

JHet wrote: »
    A lot of people are saying the Intel NUC might be a great alternative to these boxes. A bit more expensive though @ around €170. If the intels come down another 50 quid I'd say you'll see another thread like this on them.

If €170 is too much, you can get a NM70 mini-ITX motherboard for about €65-70 with the same Celeron 847 processor (and GPU) as the cheapest NUC.

Should be able to get case & PSU for under €50 so you could build something with similar hardware specs as the NUC for quite a bit cheaper.

mITX is a larger form factor than the NUC obviously. Unless you have the worlds smallest entertainment unit im not sure a couple of inches here or there make a difference anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

JHet wrote: »
    A lot of people are saying the Intel NUC might be a great alternative to these boxes. A bit more expensive though @ around €170. If the intels come down another 50 quid I'd say you'll see another thread like this on them.

where are ye hearing €170????
    It seems to be about £240
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-001-IN

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Scruff wrote: »

Someone said something similar earlier in the thread, and the cheapest i could find it anywhere was €260 at the time.
    But i looked for it again the other day and I have seen one version for around €180. That's the cheapest i've seen it, i didn't look very hard, but it may be possible to get it for €170. Hold on i'll get it.

EDIT.
    I think this is the newest version (DCCP847DYE) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00B4O00EM/

I didn't look up the other two models, nor search for any of them on anywhere else.

EDIT..

Just searched on amazon.com, 2nd one down can get it delivered for €148 (including shipping and handling of €7.26).
    Then whatever VAT/Duty comes to if it gets stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I ended up buying a lenovo Q190. It probably costs a bit more than doing it all yourself with a barebones kit, but there seemed to be good reviews on one of the XBMC sites about it. Looks quite tidy for under the TV as well (needs to be to get approval from she who must be obeyed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Scruff wrote: »
    Allyall wrote: »
    Someone said something similar earlier in the thread, and the cheapest i could find it anywhere was €260 at the time.
    But i looked for it again the other day and I have seen one version for around €180. That's the cheapest i've seen it, i didn't look very hard, but it may be possible to get it for €170. Hold on i'll get it.

EDIT.
    I think this is the newest version (DCCP847DYE) - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00B4O00EM/

I didn't look up the other two models, nor search for any of them on anywhere else.

EDIT..

Just searched on amazon.com, 2nd one down can get it delivered for €148 (including shipping and handling of €7.26).
    Then whatever VAT/Duty comes to if it gets stopped.

The first one is an i3 and the others are celeron, so that would explain the difference in price.

• Advertisement

Its only a Celeron but it is quite comparable to the dual core Atom or indeed the processor in the AMD Fusion.

It will be stronger in single threaded stuff and weaker in multi-threaded but overall they are all in the same low performance (and consumption) category. People are using the Celeron NUC in OpenElec and the experience should be pretty similar to the MC001.

The GPU is I think a HD2000 and should be capable of most types of video acceleration with similar caveats as an ATI solution (ie neither of them are as good as Nvidia under Linux).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Celeron can't do HD audio decoding as far as I know so is unsuitable if that is in your plans.
    You'll need an i3 or i5 to decode HD audio with an NUC where as the Arctic MC001 GPU supports HD audio processing.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

Would any of these devices be suitable for just word processing/internet browsing?

ongarite wrote: »
    Celeron can't do HD audio decoding as far as I know so is unsuitable if that is in your plans.
    You'll need an i3 or i5 to decode HD audio with an NUC where as the Arctic MC001 GPU supports HD audio processing.

Decoding is not the problem, as of recently XBMC can do HD audio decoding on just about any platform.

When people refer to HD audio not working they are talking about bitstreaming which is not the same thing as decoding. Bitstreaming is when you want to send the raw HD audio stream to your HD audio receiver so the decoding happens there rather than on your HTPC.

Arctic MC001 can't actually do HD audio bitstreaming in Linux; nothing ATI can. The Intel NUC (including the Celeron version) is probably better for audio to be honest. Like I said above, both ATI and Intel GPUs have various limitations (or things that don't work great) which anyone buying one should research.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Well none of my 6 MC001's was DOA but one has turned out to be DAA (Dead After Arrival) :D

It was one that was on its side and was accidentally left on all day. So looks like even running Openelec these are not immune from overheating if used on their side.

Remote turns on blue power button but no mobo speaker click, no video output, no response to keyboard or getting into bios, dead as a dodo. Doesn't respond to power off remote command.

Any ideas guys?

Failing any DIY testing of fixing can someone describe their RMA process to Amazon/Arctic??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I manually updated from 2.9.9 rc5 last night to 3. 0.0 by manually by putting the 4 files into the update folder.

The upgrade went fine but since then I have problems with the 1channel and project free tv addons.
    The addons are there and are enabled but any of the categories or options won't bring back any listings... Eg if I go into tv shows and select a show no episodes are returned it's just hangs... Everything was working fine until this

Any ideas lads??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I picked up one of these, along with a 750GB HD and 2GB of RAM. Works fine but to be honest, happy enough with my WD HD LIVE, so if anyone is looking for one let me know. Have a DVD drive in it too as well as the official remote and also a logitech micro keyboard with integrated mousepad.

neacy69 wrote: »
    I manually updated from 2.9.9 rc5 last night to 3. 0.0 by manually by putting the 4 files into the update folder.

The upgrade went fine but since then I have problems with the 1channel and project free tv addons.
    The addons are there and are enabled but any of the categories or options won't bring back any listings... Eg if I go into tv shows and select a show no episodes are returned it's just hangs... Everything was working fine until this

Any ideas lads??

Did you try forcing a refresh of the add-ons? I assume you installed them from a repository rather than manually.

Did you try forcing a refresh of the add-ons? I assume you installed them from a repository rather than manually.

Yup I installed them from fusion.xbmc.org been working fine with 2.9.9 RC3/4/5...

How do i do a refresh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

When your in system and add-ons, go into the menu on the left and update local add ons, that worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Anyone ever get tv/saorview working on this?

Yup I installed them from fusion.xbmc.org been working fine with 2.9.9 RC3/4/5...

How do i do a refresh?

Fusion isn't a repository, its something different and one extra thing to go wrong. If it's not working you will need to ask for help on that forum because it's likely not an XBMC issue.

TBH, I would manually install whatever repositories you need using the traditional method.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Any ideas lads??

1channel site is up and down all day, not working on my atv2 either.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Anywhere else selling these?

lordgoat wrote: »

As far as i can make out, delivery to Ireland is free..
    DPACOMC10311GB 1 126,32€ 126,32€ Zwischensumme: 126,32€ Versandkostenpauschale: 0,00€ Summe: 126,32€

http://www.cheap-mall.net/arctic-mc001-e-media-center-barebone-pc-usff-1-x-atom-d525-1-8-ghz-inkl-dvd-rw-und-dvb-t-tuner

Which is only €12 more than the original one was delivered, and it comes with a DVD RW.. So it actually works out cheaper/better. (I think).

Amazon Spain €195

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

The only place with stock now is amazon.com and they won't ship them outside of the US.

They are expected to sell out of stock this week also.

[Edit] Allyall proves me wrong! Don't hang around if you want one.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

http://www.cheap-mall.net/arctic-mc001-e-media-center-barebone-pc-usff-1-x-atom-d525-1-8-ghz-inkl-dvd-rw-und-dvb-t-tuner

Which is only €12 more than the original one was delivered, and it comes with a DVD RW.. So it actually works out cheaper/better. (I think).

Amazon Spain €195

Much obliged.

Now don't sell out until I get home from work!

Thanks again

Much obliged.

Now don't sell out until I get home from work!

Thanks again
    I don't think I would be very comfortable buying off Cheap-mall.

Scam advisor report on Cheap-mall.net

There is an address given on the website but as far as I can determine it doesn't actually exist.

invest4deepvalue.com

Quigs Snr is selling his in post #793
    Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I picked up one of these, along with a 750GB HD and 2GB of RAM. Works fine but to be honest, happy enough with my WD HD LIVE, so if anyone is looking for one let me know. Have a DVD drive in it too as well as the official remote and also a logitech micro keyboard with integrated mousepad.

BTW 1channel seems to be working fine today...must have just been an issue with that site...altho project free tv wasnt working...anyway its all good today

They accept Paypal, which would be secure enough for me..

Other sites selling it different prices and delivery are (Roughly €150 - €190)

PCRednet
    Xtremmedia
    Ranatica
    ModPC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Quigs Snr is selling his in post #793

BTW 1channel seems to be working fine today...must have just been an issue with that site...altho project free tv wasnt working...anyway its all good today

This will happen every now and again to different apps, there's plenty of alternatives anyway.

They accept Paypal, which would be secure enough for me..

Other sites selling it different prices and delivery are (Roughly €150 - €190)

PCRednet
    Xtremmedia
    Ranatica
    ModPC
    Did you register on cheap-mall to get to the checkout? I don't see any mention of paypal on the site.

Their address is given as Frankfurter Allee 7 Karlsruhe but I can find no Frankfurter Allee on any map of Karlsruhe and the only Google result I can find for Frankfurter Allee Karlsruhe is from a website called fakenamegenerator.com!

As to the best of my knowledge German commercial websites are supposed to identify the person legally responsible for the website, whilst Cheap Mall isn't even a company name. The whois info is private and the domain name was registered and is hosted in the US, none of which gives me confidence that it is a legitimate German business.

The MC001 was good value at €115 but at €150+ it is almost at the cost of a Celeron Intel NUC and I would definetly go for the NUC in preference to the Arctic.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Amazon Spain €195

That is an ex vat price so you would have to factor in the tax as well

Admittedly there doesn't seem to be a lot of info anywhere about cheap-mall.net, who are ecobondstore.net

All information is maybe they are suspect. Nothing solid.
    As far as i can make out..
    Ecobondstore.net = Europe
    Ecobondstore.com = USA

They do accept paypal

2A0cTlhl.jpg
    ouQUm47l.jpg
    A45xcJyl.jpg

I'd try them, because of that. But others may be less likely.

http://www.scamadviser.com/is-ecobondstore.com-safe.html - 85%
    http://www.webutation.net/go/review/ecobondstore.net - 80%
    http://ecobondstore.net.dedicatedornot.com/
    http://wsdata.com/2012-11-08/ecobondstore.net-domain-information.html

I'll wait until i have a bit of time and put some cash on my debit card. Prob tomorrow, then i'll buy something from cheap-mall for under €10 via Paypal, and see what they're like..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotts

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Anyone ever get tv/saorview working on this?

I have it working fine running xbmc using tvheadend add on, if your not near a main transmitter, this might help in the setup, i posted it earlier in the thread

For anyone else with their nearest saorview mast not on the default list, ie on a secondary site, i eventually found out how to get it working on tvheadend add on...

1. enable add-on smile.png
    2. Log in from another computer on your network i.e x.x.x.x:9981 (where x.x.x.x is your arctics ip address
    3. Go to config tab
    4. go to tv adapter tab and choose the tuner from the drop down menu
    5. go to multiplexes tab and add multiplex manually.

Here is the part that was wrecking my head as i didn't know the values to enter for my site. I eventually found them here : http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/saorview-dtt-linux
    about a third the way down the page you'll find Irish DTT transmitter tuning files
    its a zip file with all sites in it. the files are un recognised by windows but i could open them with notepad.

here is an example of whats in them
    # IRE, Kinsale
    # Created by www.mpeg4ireland.com
    # T freq bw fec_hi fec_lo mod transmission-mode guard-interval hierarchy
    T 546000000 8MHz AUTO AUTO AUTO AUTO AUTO NONE

just drop 3 zeros of the end and you sorted

hope this helps someone as it took me awhile to figure out.

Advertisement