Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replay: All Ireland SFC Final Dublin v Kerry Saturday 14/09/2019 @ 6pm

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

fergus1001 wrote: »
    well It does help weaker counties since dublin would no longer be able to put all men in front of the ball when other teams are attacking

Ya good luck getting the ref to keep on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Ya good luck getting the ref to keep on top of that.

linesman and a tv ref would do it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Dublin scored 1 - 17 from play. I won't embarrass you by stating where that stands statistically in the records for finals.

You ought to do some research.

Hey Bonnie, I was talking about the ladies final today my good man.

If you have a read of my previous posts you will see we are on the page :)

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Oh great, let's slow the game down

Hahahaha, I'm not sure if you're serious or not.
    The same linesmen that couldn't spot an elephant cycling a bike past them.
    Linesmen in GAA are only beaten in ineptitude by umpires (jolly merchants out for a free meal).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭threeball

A shot clock is not the answer. Kerry went deep and zonal yesterday and it served them badly. They should have went man for man. That would have forced Dublin into longer kickouts, it wouldn't allow them to play pass the parcel across the 45 and would have prevented the spare man overlap which was always there due to their defensive tactics.

If teams want to stop clock management from another team then they need to employ tactics that prevent it. Many teams are trying to be far too clever now and have ignored the benefits of a more traditional approach where it's merited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Fair play to him. And well done to Dublin on a fine win. Kerry a bit short of what is needed yet.

By all accounts a nice guy. But just out of curiosity, how is he doing the handshake rounds so late and on his own?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

But just out of curiosity, how is he doing the handshake rounds so late and on his own?

He was a mess after the final whistle. Crying into Murchans shoulder like a little girl.:D

Seemed to be genuinely overawed by the achievement anyway. That or the criticism (some from Dublin supporters) might have got to him between games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

He was definitely overcome by the occasion. after putting in one of his best shifts in the jersey.

Sound chap who wears his heart on his sleeve and takes no prisoners but ends at the whistle.

People forget too, and have some personal knowledge of this, that surviving a random attack that might very well have killed him, is not an easy thing to do. I have great admiration for the man.

Anyone mouthing off about him after the draw game was a just that, an irrelevant mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,846 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He is again another absolute diamond guy. If you looked up the definition of ‘gentleman’ in the dictionary you wouldn’t be far surprised to see a pic of him next to it... delighted for his success.

He was definitely overcome by the occasion. after putting in one of his best shifts in the jersey.

Sound chap who wears his heart on his sleeve and takes no prisoners but ends at the whistle.

People forget too, and have some personal knowledge of this, that surviving a random attack that might very well have killed him, is not an easy thing to do. I have great admiration for the man.

Anyone mouthing off about him after the draw game was a just that, an irrelevant mouth.

Well said Bonnie.

I'd imagine a lot of that emotion was shear relief. If we had lost the first game he may very well have blamed himself so getting a second chance at it and playing that well shows a serious amount of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

How many steps taken for the goal? 10? 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

It could have been 20, it doesn’t matter. The ref didn’t blow. End off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

I thought that it was a really super match. A true exhibition of the full gamut of skills of the game: tackling, shooting, high fielding, tactical play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

By all accounts a nice guy. But just out of curiosity, how is he doing the handshake rounds so late and on his own?
    corny wrote: »
    He was a mess after the final whistle. Crying into Murchans shoulder like a little girl.:D

Seemed to be genuinely overawed by the achievement anyway. That or the criticism (some from Dublin supporters) might have got to him between games.

Hilarious stuff. There wasn't much class being showed when he had Geaney pinned to the ground in injury time with the game already won

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Field east

Dublin scored 1 - 17 from play. I won't embarrass you by stating where that stands statistically in the records for finals.

You ought to do some research.

Was this more to do with Kerry backs committing almost no fouls within striking distance of the Kerry goals. So the highlight should be the few fouls committed by Kerry rather than most of Dublin’s scores coming from play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Field east

threeball wrote: »
    A shot clock is not the answer. Kerry went deep and zonal yesterday and it served them badly. They should have went man for man. That would have forced Dublin into longer kickouts, it wouldn't allow them to play pass the parcel across the 45 and would have prevented the spare man overlap which was always there due to their defensive tactics.

If teams want to stop clock management from another team then they need to employ tactics that prevent it. Many teams are trying to be far too clever now and have ignored the benefits of a more traditional approach where it's merited.
    I am not a ‘micro analyst’ of the big ball but I coulld not understand why Kerry never changed its strategy re the Dublin kick outs - which they won most and scored from a lot of them by holding onto the ball until within striking distance IN FRONT OF GOAL.
    If Kerry man marked - especially for the Dublin kick outs there is a 50/50 chance that it would have got possession and the chances of scoring would have been higher. It forewent that option and handed Dublin unchallenged possession every time and also a chance for Dub player to look up and see what options are available ‘ re pass the parcel ‘ up to the D. I know that man marking would create more open space for Dublin to exploit if it won the ball. But if Kerry lost the ball on the dub kick out it could immediately change from the man to man marking to the defensive strategy it did employ - which, imo, was very sound , apart from that moment of madness re the Dublin goal.
    Kerry’s response to the Dub kickout strategy was reminiscent of Kilkennys second half strategy in the senior hurling final

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Couldn't understand not contesting the kick-outs either. Granted they coughed up a few scores from the high press in the drawn game, but they did get a few scores themselves off it also and plenty possession. According to Sky, the Dubs got 7 points from their kick outs which is a huge portion of the 1-18.

Dublin are superb in possession of the ball and it is very difficult to get it back off them. It was no surprise that Kerry were out on their feet for the last 15 minutes with the effort they had to make to try and win back the ball.
    The long ball game at the start gave Dublin 3 points also. Was a very strange tactic to employ. Even if Geaney had managed to win one of them, he would have been instantly surrounded by Dublin defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Field east wrote: »
    Was this more to do with Kerry backs committing almost no fouls within striking distance of the Kerry goals. So the highlight should be the few fouls committed by Kerry rather than most of Dublin’s scores coming from play

Had more to do with one Conor Lane refusing to blow for a single foul within kicking distance of the Kerry goals. There were fouls aplenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Couldnt it be both?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭threeball

I am not a ‘micro analyst’ of the big ball but I coulld not understand why Kerry never changed its strategy re the Dublin kick outs - which they won most and scored from a lot of them by holding onto the ball until within striking distance IN FRONT OF GOAL.
    If Kerry man marked - especially for the Dublin kick outs there is a 50/50 chance that it would have got possession and the chances of scoring would have been higher. It forewent that option and handed Dublin unchallenged possession every time and also a chance for Dub player to look up and see what options are available ‘ re pass the parcel ‘ up to the D. I know that man marking would create more open space for Dublin to exploit if it won the ball. But if Kerry lost the ball on the dub kick out it could immediately change from the man to man marking to the defensive strategy it did employ - which, imo, was very sound , apart from that moment of madness re the Dublin goal.
    Kerry’s response to the Dub kickout strategy was reminiscent of Kilkennys second half strategy in the senior hurling final

Unfortunately in this race to be the smartest tactical manager in the land they've thrown the baby out with the bathwater. 15 on 15 is very sound once you trust your team to do their job. If going man on man every kick pass must be perfect, every handpass will be underpressure, every runner should have a tracker. Instead we now have a soccer style where everyone abandons their duties to take up a defensive formation which going on recent scorelines for the last 10 championships is conceding more scores than ever. You now see teams regularly running up scores that were only ever seen in hurling.

Responsibility is gone out the window. If your man kicks seven points he no longer took you to the cleaners, the blamed is spread across the entire system that failed. Don't track a runner, I was watching this fella , he's someone else's problem.

We've ended up with collective responsibility and no accountability. Yes it works in soccer where scoring a goal is difficult at the best of times but in a free scoring game like football once a team gets the inevitable 3 or 4pts up you are screwed. If teams trust their players to do a job then a more traditional game has huge merits on both sides of the ball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

A ref will never count the steps where a player is being fouled.
    It was a fabulous goal especially since it was straight from the throw in.

Hilarious stuff. There wasn't much class being showed when he had Geaney pinned to the ground in injury time with the game already won

All the great teams across all sports are mean until the final whistle is blown. I'm OK with that, but it does cause me to role my eyes when teams like mayo get criticized for being mean, especially after being criticized for lacking tho killer edge to win previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Kerry defence was generally disciplined but they rode their luck in the first half. They asked big questions of the Dublin attack, and did well the first day. Dublin responded well in the replay and 1 - 17 from play is unique.

Will be interesting to see how other teams try and take on Dublin and Kerry as the more overtly negative game plans have been totally discredited at top senior level, and even in the club game where teams like Corofin and Killarney Crokes play open attacking football.

Cork underage teams are similar and their seniors had a cut off both Dublin and Kerry, so they are possibly best placed to move up a gear. Being in Division three might postpone that for a year or two.

Yawn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭spurshero

Colm o rourke said 12 . Just the 8 more then supposed to be taken.

It's hard to do much with the ball when your shirt is being pulled for 20 metres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

The same could be said of Clifford behaviour for the complete game punching, pinching and mouthing in Coopers face looking for a reaction, classless from him to be honest and Cooper did not react, class from him.

Advertisement