Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Hard luck to the lads today.

Been a good year with many lessons learned and we can be positive about the future.

Ciarraí Abú

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Trey13

Dub here. Hard luck to ye lot today. You’re by far the best team we have played in the last few years and you’re young and will win several all Ireland’s in the next few years. Clifford and O Shea are something else.

Best of luck over the next few years lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Good performance but goal at start of second half was a killer and never fully recovered. Lot of bad option taking in second half, poor shot choices by a number of players, but Dublin deserved it on day. Nice to see some real emotion from Dublin players at end of game.

I thought ,in hindsight, the bad decision was testing the Dublin full back under the high ball in the 1st half. 3 points not taken. A halftime lead and who knows what would have happened.
    But, and I'd never thought I'd say this to Kerry , hard luck and ye's gave it a good shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

Beaten fair and square. Well done to Dublin team who seem like a good bunch of lads. Our team did us proud.
    One man who I cannot understand not getting young player of the year is Sean o Shea.
    Clifford has more potential maybe but O Shea has been immense.
    Can anyone give me his stats for the year? Is he not too scorer in the championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

munster87 wrote:
    In first game. But sure **** it if ye can’t read a few simple words.[/quote

Sorry misread your post.

Understandable in the circumstances I hope.

Disappointed with 1 half out of 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

conor05 wrote: »
    David Moran very poor in the second half.

He hit some terrible wides when he should have worked the ball until we got our 3 shooters DC, P.G. or SOS on the ball.

Caught bad for Murchan goal too.

But listen it is easy to criticize from the stand, I am so proud of David and the whole panel.

We will be back, but it requires some cute work and a few hardier lads. We are still Too nice of a team

His wides weren't great but the bold bit is harsh. Murchan had a half forward who should have been tracking him not Moran.

He did brilliantly even to get a hand on a 21 year old lad who is noted for his pace imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Too nice a team? Good one! Clifford is gonna be the next Cillian O’Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

EICVD wrote: »
    Clifford is gonna be the next Cillian O’Connor

In what sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

EICVD wrote: »
    Too nice a team? Good one! Clifford is gonna be the next Cillian O’Connor

He doesn’t dive, cheat or whinge.
    Away with your pathetic attempts at a wind-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Soulsun wrote: »
    As a dub Fair play to this Kerry team for putting on two excellence performances.
    Hold your heads up high it’s was fanstastic to watch and both sets of fans were very well behaved too.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Ireunderworld/status/1172990728601047042

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mattser

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Good performance but goal at start of second half was a killer and never fully recovered. Lot of bad option taking in second half, poor shot choices by a number of players, but Dublin deserved it on day. Nice to see some real emotion from Dublin players at end of game.

If that was the difference between winning and losing an AIF, I give up.
    Fair play to him, but he was let waltz through.
    Handiest goal you'll ever see on the big stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭wonga77

Would like to watch it back first but that was disappointing. So many bad wides and I still dont think Dublin played as well as they can as they made many unforced errors too.
    I dunno how it looked on tv but Paul Murphy seemed lost in the first half, not sure he knows what his job is. Too many bad wides at crucial times. Tommy Walsh won everything but all away from the area you wanted him winning it in.
    Dissapointed but there are definitely good days ahead for this group

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

mattser wrote: »
    If that was the difference between winning and losing an AIF, I give up.
    Fair play to him, but he was let waltz through.
    Handiest goal you'll ever see on the big stage.

If you call that a 'waltz' i would love to see what a full blooded sprint is..!!
    Would you have stopped him yourself..??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Ugh watching the Dublin goal again. I just wish Moran had caught the ball.

Dublin would have won anyway but he would back himself to catch that ball 99 times out of 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Just fell a bit short yesterday unfortunately. Dublin were superb to boot and absolutely worthy winners on the day.

The experience of 3 national finals will stand to these guys. Despite no national title, a great year and we've a lot to be proud of and excited about.

Looking forward to the league February 2020!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Good loser

DDC1990 wrote: »

Dublin would have won anyway but he would back himself to catch that ball 99 times out of 100.

Bad bad mistake not to catch that ball. Heard on Newstalk today that Gavin said it was a planned run from Murchan with the 2 inside forwards pulling left and right to open centre. The kick was very well placed to get inside post.

Over the 2 games Moran kicked for 5 points and only scored once. The manager should FORBID him ever again attempting a point. His point kicking over the years has been dreadful anyway.

Shane Ryan the goalie was excellent for the first time!
    Tommy Walsh caught all balls very well but was too far out. Better to have had him in the square for last ten minutes.
    McCaffrey well marshalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

DDC1990 wrote: »

Ye rallied well enough after the goal. Brought it back to one. A superb score but I don't reckon it ended the game. O'Brien's miss was more crucial to ye and Kerry started to lose their way in the last 15.

Still slightly off Dublins high standards but Kerry made Dublin sweat for it. Tweak 1 or 2 things and they will be competing well into the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

mattser wrote:
    If that was the difference between winning and losing an AIF, I give up. Fair play to him, but he was let waltz through. Handiest goal you'll ever see on the big stage.

Very handy goal agreed, defence parted like the red sea, Moran never going to catch him. Definitely time to "take one for the team" by someone. Killer blow after working hard to go in level, then down a goal after 15 secs of 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

cjmc wrote: »
    I thought ,in hindsight, the bad decision was testing the Dublin full back under the high ball in the 1st half. 3 points not taken. A halftime lead and who knows what would have happened.
    But, and I'd never thought I'd say this to Kerry , hard luck and ye's gave it a good shot.

Thr was a number of high balls sent in early on but Dublin dealt with them. Wold they have dealt with them in the tight last ten mnutes of the first game?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Game over, ball burst. We move on I say :)

1. Who will retire? Enright,Young. Any others?
    2. Who will be moved on as they don’t add enough value? Griffin,Lyne,O Donoghue?
    3. Should they go looking for the services of Joe O Connor for a proven scientific physical fitness regime? He is supposedly finished with the Limerick hurlers.
    4. What new players would you be looking to be used in the league?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Young definitely, maybe Lyne and Griffin. Enright and Donohue there may be another 12 months in them. Have to find another top class midfielder before next summer. Ryan in goals really coming on and nobody will come in on top of him again too soon

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

have to say lads while the players gave there absolute all to the cause... i was very disappointed with some aspects of Kerrys play over 2 games... still cant get my head around the final 12mins of drawn game and the fact we were turned over 5 times in that period.... also disappointed with 2nd half performance on Sat... we had alot of possession but tried to walk the ball into the net.... should have taken points we werent down by that much....

i also dont buy this young and inexperienced talk.... if you include drawn game and replay... paul geaney was playing in his 4th all ireland final... stephen o brien 3rd.... tommy walsh 4th... david moran 4th i think.. paul murphy 4th.... most of the others have played there in numerous minor finals....

i genuinely am worried that we wont get anything like the return at senior level that we got at minor level.... the minors that got the ball rolling in 2014.... where are most of em now.... they will b 24 next year.....

the biggest concern i have tho is the lack of a ruthless streak in the team.... killer instinct... stubborness and out and out ingorance that say Declan o' sullivan had dara se had and paul galvin had.... them lads physically and mentally imposed themselves on the opposition... name one of the present team that is doing that....

i hope im wrong with above.. time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Radio5

Agree with your last sentence, that ruthlessness needs to be there. Peter Crowley was badly missed in that respect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's a serious shame what happened with James O Donoghue froman outsider. He was arguably the outstanding forward in the game 5-6 years ago and certainly the best not in a Dublin shirt. His time came in a transitional period for Kerry though, and if he hadn't suffered with some of his injuries, a prolific talent like him could have made the difference in one of these 2 games.

I'd love to see him recover and find his 2013-15 form as that would be a frightening combination up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭wonga77

The most disappointing aspect was all the wasted shots in front of goal. Foley made a great run and found himself 25 yards out and looked to pass it off. Surely he could have had a go. As already mentioned Moran had a good few pots at goal. If even 2 of the numerous awful attempts went over then we wouldnt have had to be scrambling for a goal at the end.
    Are we relying too heavily on the same 2 or 3 to get the scores? We always had fellas coming from deep that were well able to kick points.
    Still cant figure out the long ball tactic that was used in the first half, even if Geaney or Clifford had managed to take down the ball then there was still no support to help them. Walsh gathered a few balls out in the corner and ironically lobbed one into the back post at the end, the exact position he should have been in.
    Maybe it was already answered but did Murphy go down with cramp or was he injured?

Young is surely finished, not sure why he was even on the panel, don't think he kicked a ball at all this year. Surely there is some other prospect out from the minor teams that would benefit from the experience

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

^^^ Paul Murphy went down and was treated on his hamstring by physio. Few minutes later he threw himself in front of a low ball in, slid along the ground to clear in front of the Dublin forward and that was that. A slight strain but painful all the same and game over for him

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

wonga77 wrote: »
    Still cant figure out the long ball tactic that was used in the first half, even if Geaney or Clifford had managed to take down the ball then there was still no support to help them.

That tactic drove me mad as well. The only explanation that I came up with was that maybe we did it to force Dublin to keep an extra man back. I wasn't at the game, so I couldn't see where everyone was. Can anyone come up with an explanation for it? Was it just nerves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭acequion

A poster over on the Kerry GAA forum asks, "Are we the new Mayo?" and this echoes my own thoughts and fears. Apart from the brief and wonderful oasis of 2014 we've suffered a decade of big defeats, defeats which nullify all the little victories along the way. It really worries me that wonderful young players like David Clifford and Sean O Shea might never win that Celtic cross. Unthinkable in other eras but in this new world of unprecedented Dublin dominance it's quite possible!

Hopefully I'm being unduly pessimistic as I'm really down over this defeat.But this feeling that we may not be able to bounce back, that we and the rest of the country are up against an unstoppable juggernaut is something that no one in Kerry ever felt before.

God be with the days of the three certainties: death, taxes and Kerry winning All Irelands!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

The new Mayo?
    These guys have just lost one final against an excellent Dublin team.

You worry that Sean o shea and Clifford will never win an AI? They are both barely into their 20s.

You’re either at the wind up

The new mayo? Jesus Christ what absolute tosh- wait until these lads are on their late 20s/early 30s and have lost 4 or so finals before coming out with such ridiculous nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Radio5 wrote: »
    Agree with your last sentence, that ruthlessness needs to be there. Peter Crowley was badly missed in that respect.

Gavin Crowley has no shortage of hard-man mentality in him. He spent the day in Kilkenny's face, pushing and needling him, a bit over the top. I'm not mad about that carry-on but I'd agree that Kerry needed to show a bit of it. He was a sharp contrast to the likes of Ó Beaglaoich and Murphy who might be too nice. You'd hope that the worst of that craic won't be needed when the rest of the team grows up a bit more.
    Although McCaffrey came in for tough treatment when they copped the knee was dodgy.

Advertisement