Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is this creature?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

gozunda wrote: »
    Never seen pine martens slaughter poultry wholesale the way mink do.

I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Stigura wrote: »

v good..
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

He has seen no dead chickens though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

You can thank the animal right groups for that one

I know of a mink "farmer" whose cages were damaged in a storm leading to escapes and subsequent breeding. Some nutters release them deliberately, some numpties caused them to be released accidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Mink / Pine Marten, not much of a difference really. One is a protected species, the other an invasive species. One is admired for its beauty, the other is detested for its hunting skills. I would agree that high pine marten numbers can effect mink numbers. Pine Marten like to hunt the banks of rivers / streams just like a mink. Otter' s can also put mink under pressure, but where food is plentiful, you will find both on a water system. Otter's are known to kill the odd mink.

Personally, I have great admiration for mink. I think they are a beautiful animal and a super predator. Unfortunately in high numbers, they put a lot of pressure on many species, and so their numbers must constantly be managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Eddie B wrote: »
    Mink / Pine Marten, not much of a difference really. One is a protected species, the other an invasive species. One is admired for its beauty, the other is detested for its hunting skills. I would agree that high pine marten numbers can effect mink numbers. Pine Marten like to hunt the banks of rivers / streams just like a mink. Otter' s can also put mink under pressure, but where food is plentiful, you will find both on a water system. Otter's are known to kill the odd mink.

Personally, I have great admiration for mink. I think they are a beautiful animal and a super predator. Unfortunately in high numbers, they put a lot of pressure on many species, and so their numbers must constantly be managed.

I love mink myself. It is a pity they’re invasive and absolute killers. I e no problem with them killing pheasants. Pheasants aren’t supposed to be here either and are basically handreared chickens to be released and shot. No sport really.
    But mink do kill everything else. Songbirds will take a big hit off them. Water voles etc too.
    As someone that has hunted with ferrets I still cannot find the legality of using a mink to hunt. I’ve watched the mink man Joseph carter on YouTube for years and he uses mink for hunting fish and muskrats.
    I can get a mink no problem. But I want to know the legal use of owning one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I love mink myself. It is a pity they’re invasive and absolute killers. I e no problem with them killing pheasants. Pheasants aren’t supposed to be here either and are basically handreared chickens to be released and shot. No sport really.
    But mink do kill everything else. Songbirds will take a big hit off them. Water voles etc too.
    As someone that has hunted with ferrets I still cannot find the legality of using a mink to hunt. I’ve watched the mink man Joseph carter on YouTube for years and he uses mink for hunting fish and muskrats.
    I can get a mink no problem. But I want to know the legal use of owning one.

The only legality is that as an invasive species you can't let one run loose outside your own property, so that would technically include releasing one to hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The only legality is that as an invasive species you can't let one run loose outside your own property, so that would technically include releasing one to hunt.

Gonna have to release a few rabbits in my garden and a pond full of fish I guess
    But seriously that’s a pity. But why is it ok to hunt rabbits with ferrets then because ferrets are not native to Ireland and will do just as much damage if they escaped

Gonna have to release a few rabbits in my garden and a pond full of fish I guess
    But seriously that’s a pity. But why is it ok to hunt rabbits with ferrets then because ferrets are not native to Ireland and will do just as much damage if they escaped

Oh, I'm not defending it. Just how it is. Mink are classed as an invasive species while ferrets aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Rabbits aren't native to Ireland either and there's not an Irish word for Rabbit.. :p

Suckit wrote: »
    Rabbits aren't native to Ireland either and there's not an Irish word for Rabbit.. :p

Coinín.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Mink , country is destroyed with them , especially around parts of Cork

Yes there was an illegal mink/ferret farm (can't remember which) around the Cork/Kerry border that were released into the wild in the early 90's.

There was a spat of domestic young animals killed. We had a new litter of kittens mauled to death. My poor sister was 6-7 at the time and she went into the shed one morning to pet on them and it was a blood bath. 4/5 dead kittens and blood everywhere- they had no escape. Just seemed like a random act of violence as the kittens were not eaten. That's when we found out about the release a few weeks earlier.

Advertisement