Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is this creature?

Options
  • 04-09-2019 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Seen yesterday near Heuston Station yesterday. It was swimming down stream being mobbed by Gulls, a Heron and an Egret.

efdb5a25-280c-4104-a21c-fa755c3f8b73.jpg

358f648e-bb97-4866-984a-ad3fc5ad2379-1.jpg

Taken on phone so not great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Otter?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A mink chasing young chicks or going near a nest perhaps. Not sure if nesting is finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A mink. Up to no good, as mink are want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Was thinking it looked minkish. Are there many on that part of the Liffey?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,662 ✭✭✭corks finest

Seen yesterday near Heuston Station yesterday. It was swimming down stream being mobbed by Gulls, a Heron and an Egret.

Mink , country is destroyed with them , especially around parts of Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Mink , country is destroyed with them , especially around parts of Cork
    Your post inspired me to look a little more. I had never known that they weren't native to Ireland, nor that there was a problem with them in Ireland..

https://www.irelandsown.ie/irish-widlife-the-american-mink/
    The American mink first started breeding in the wild in Ireland during the 1950s. It was introduced here for the purposes of fur farming, but inevitably there were escapees. Many were released by animal rights protesters, who targeted fur farms and liberated the caged animals – unleashing a deadly new predator on our unsuspecting native fauna.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

You can thank the animal right groups for that one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You can thank some animal right groups for that one
    FYP.

FYP.

Come again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i changed 'the' to 'some'.

• Advertisement

Got ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Give them their proper title - half-witted environmental vandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Mink. Wicked little things.

The endangered pine marten is also often mistaken for a mink and killed too (on top of minks killing them & forcing out of habitat).

Nice useful website here for more reading on Pine martens

https://pinemarten.ie/the-pine-marten/how-to-tell-a-pine-marten-from-a-mink/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

I think some mink farmers released mink intentionally at one point, the market collapsed and mink were near worthless. I stand corrected on that though.

Mink would escape from mink farms as well during the every day activities of the farm. How many times would cattle break out from farm during the year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/outdoors/richard-collins/mink-are-public-enemy-number-one-31503.html

Seems like the first wild minks in Ireland were escapees supplemented then by the owners of mink farms who opened their gates when things got uneconomic and then by animal rights activists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

The endangered pine marten / (on top of minks killing them & forcing out of habitat).

Where are ye getting this from, please?

i've seen one or two anecdotal references to the contrary - that mink are being forced out by the resurgent pine marten.

i've seen one or two anecdotal references to the contrary - that mink are being forced out by the resurgent pine marten.

Not because the mink are killing them? Be a brave mink to take on a pine marten.
    Could be that the mink are killing the food source of the pine marten but even then that’s doubtful

There is evidence that Otters are prolific mink killers and the numbers of mink have dropped in areas of increased otter numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭NEW WAVE

I came across a mink in the Boyne last year while out taking nature photographs in the afternoon. The mink was trying to catch something in the water. I was unable to make out what it was but the chase lasted a while going round in circles above and below the water. The mink finally got its prey and when I returned home and loaded up the photographs I had taken I realised the mink had caught a baby otter. I never saw any sign of the otter parents.

• Advertisement

Not because the mink are killing them? Be a brave mink to take on a pine marten.
    Could be that the mink are killing the food source of the pine marten but even then that’s doubtful
    going by your response, i suspect you read my post the wrong way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Are you confusing this with the red and grey squirrel? Grey squirrel numbers are dropping where pine martens have increased, with the red squirrel numbers also increasing due to less competition from the grey.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/good-neighbours-how-pine-martens-are-helping-red-squirrels-survive-1.3822153

Are you confusing this with the red and grey squirrel?
    Nope. As pine Marten numbers recover, it stands to reason that they might come in increasing conflict with mink. Which - if true - would not be positive for mink.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Why are Pine Marten numbers growing so much?

Nope. As pine Marten numbers recover, it stands to reason that they might come in increasing conflict with mink. Which - if true - would not be positive for mink.

Their habitats are very different. Mink are coming under pressure from Otters, Grey Squirrel are being heavily predated by Pine Marten.

Suckit wrote: »
    Why are Pine Marten numbers growing so much?

The hunting for their skins and persecution by gamekeepers during the early part of the 20th century has seriously decreased. Their numbers are growing but still slowly.

Their habitats are very different. Mink are coming under pressure from Otters, Grey Squirrel are being heavily predated by Pine Marten.
    yep, as mentioned, i've just seen one or two anecdotal reports, but nothing of significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Mink are fekers which will take on just about anything. Photo of a mink taking on a swan. Never underestimate just how vicious they are.

maxresdefault.jpg

Full YouTube footage here:
    Warning - do not watch if you may get upset. Good news is the swan does make good its escape.

https://youtu.be/F0SsB1vQ3kU

In Ireland many thousands were deliberatly released by some of the more extreme animal right groups. The same mink went on to slaughter many of our indigenous wildlife....

gozunda wrote: »
    Mink are fekers which will take on just about anything. Photo of a mink taking on a swan. Never underestimate just how vicious they are.

maxresdefault.jpg

Full YouTube footage here:
    Warning - do not watch if you may get upset. Good news is the swan does make good its escape.

https://youtu.be/F0SsB1vQ3kU

In Ireland many thousands were deliberatly released by some of the more extreme animal right groups. The same mink went on to slaughter many of our indigenous wildlife....

Have you seen a pine marten? Pine martens are worse when it comes to hunting. They’d take on things that mink can’t take on.
    Pine marten could easily take on a mink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Have you seen a pine marten? Pine martens are worse when it comes to hunting. They’d take on things that mink can’t take on.
    Pine marten could easily take on a mink.

Never seen pine martens slaughter poultry wholesale the way mink do. They rip the heads off and leave then if they can get into a pen .The pine martens would be fairly scarce imo - never seen one around here - mink on the other hand- they are everywhere and they are (excuse de french) absolute fekers

Advertisement