Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negative Experience Rathsallagh House MOD WARNING POST 19 & 63

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Wow! 'Those less fortunate' :eek:

Lol what the hell do the staff get paid there?!? That comment is coming from a business that didn't have enough helicopter parking spaces in the boom!

They class their own staff as less fortunate. They better be on minimum wage at least & getting their prsi paid!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fox65

[SNIP] owns Rathsallagh.

I have to say, I'm hugely surprised.

We have been in contact with [SNIP] and the team in the hotel regularly since we booked and we could say absolutely nothing bad about any of them.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying that [SNIP] is the reason we booked with them in the first place due to the rapport we had with him, he and they have bent over backwards to facilitate and accommodate any and all requests we have had.

I am in the same boat as Business Cat. We are getting married there next year. We met with him for the tour and were immediately impressed with how practical he seemed. Talked about light hours for pictures and would recommend trimming the soup course to save time. He was a huge selling point for the venue. He never seemed to push things.

My two cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

fox65 wrote: »
    I am in the same boat as Business Cat. We are getting married there next year. We met with him for the tour and were immediately impressed with how practical he seemed. Talked about light hours for pictures and would recommend trimming the soup course to save time. He was a huge selling point for the venue. He never seemed to push things.

My two cents

+1

A mate of mine got married there a couple of months ago and every single person raved about the place, from the staff to the food to the venue itself.

I have absolutely zero concerns or reservations about our booking because as I said above, the whole team could not have done / be doing any more for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Maybe I don't understand correctly. Almost all of the reviews are good! The answers are a bit superior but seem to me to be good at addressing the complaints, and there are only 4 bad ones!

The OP is out of order in my opinion posting a review when didn't stay there. It matters not for what reason, but the OP emailed the house late the night before an appointment. Not much good to the managers, but not a reason for the manager to be rude.

That's the whole point. 99% of the reviews are great. In the hospitality industry that is excellent. No one is going to be happy all the time, that is the nature of the industry so to get that kind of approval rating is a testament to the venue and staff. To address the few minor complaints in that way is totally OTT. It's not like anyone rubbished the place, even the bad reviews have mentioned everything they did right. He needs to go back and learn a bit of humility and customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I must say that I have been to weddings at Rathsallagh and found the staff, venue, food and owner all to be excellent. Personally, I would recommend the place very highly. I think the OP's warning that everyone should avoid itis a bit OTT. I don't think there's a need for everyone to start switching venues just yet!

Although I think there is no excuse for the owner being rude to the OP, her initial text was very vague and didn't give much notice (the latter not being her fault). But I guess hotel owners are people too and he also has a personal life that was disrupted. Still, he's really being foolish if he is going to be rude to people. You just can't win playing that game as word gets around. He probably should have just sucked it up (I'm sure he has to do a lot of that in his business)!

Whenever I met him (briefly, to be fair), I found him to be very professional, courteous and helpful. Mind you, I also got the impression he was a non-nonsense kind of guy!

My two cents are that I wouldn't be boycotting Rathsallagh just yet folks. It's a very nice hotel!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

There is always the possibility that a junior member of staff (or family) posts "on behalf" of `[SNIP] on the Trip Advisor site .... seeing as, by all accounts, he seems perfectly friendly and welcoming by most that have dealt with him personally ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newport2

eviltwin wrote: »
    That's the whole point. 99% of the reviews are great. In the hospitality industry that is excellent. No one is going to be happy all the time, that is the nature of the industry so to get that kind of approval rating is a testament to the venue and staff. To address the few minor complaints in that way is totally OTT. It's not like anyone rubbished the place, even the bad reviews have mentioned everything they did right. He needs to go back and learn a bit of humility and customer service.

+1

I think the best measure of how good a service is is how staff/management deal with issues when things go wrong. Much easier to provide a great service when things go smoothly.

I've always enjoyed Rathsallagh in the past, never any problem there. But the owner has pretty much shown that he's great and very professional when you're happy with the service, but that all changes if you're not happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

newport2 wrote: »
    +1

I think the best measure of how good a service is is how staff/management deal with issues when things go wrong. Much easier to provide a great service when things go smoothly.

I've always enjoyed Rathsallagh in the past, never any problem there. But the owner has pretty much shown that he's great and very professional when you're happy with the service, but that all changes if you're not happy with it.

I think his problem is people not communicating to him there is a problem with the service, then complaining about it online. I'm not saying he's not OTT, but there aren't many complaints about how he dealt badly with the customers while they were there.

The OP should have rang the hotel, the hotel owner should have cut his loses and stayed professional, IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Are him and the charleville lodge guy the same person?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

it's a bit much asking people to avoid a place based on one persons experience, especially seeing the cancellation email contained no info whatsoever. Even mentioning a "medical emergency" would have sufficed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

I dunno OP, yeah he seems to be a bit mad alright but your email was very vague. You said "if" I can reschedule so kind of looks like you flaked out. Which you are well within your right to do if you wish, but I think a lot of those reviews on T.A show that people didn't have the balls to say anything while in the hotel. Just slated them online behind a keyboard.

Which is kind of what you've done! Why didn't you ring them today and tell them about the abusive messages you got? Demand an apology? Or a voucher for a free meal & wine? Or something! Would have been better than writing this thread and the one on T.A. You'd have probably got a better outcome, honestly I keep checking this thread to see yer man reply!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Maybe I don't understand correctly. Almost all of the reviews are good! The answers are a bit superior but seem to me to be good at addressing the complaints, and there are only 4 bad ones!

The OP is out of order in my opinion posting a review when didn't stay there. It matters not for what reason, but the OP emailed the house late the night before an appointment. Not much good to the managers, but not a reason for the manager to be rude.

Agreed. I think people are too sensitive. And there is a fantastic review of a wedding just below the OPs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭newport2

michellie wrote: »
    Agreed. I think people are too sensitive.

In fairness, the hotel manager seems more sensitive than anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

By the way, I'm wondering why you've given your own message that you sent word-for-word, but not his? I mean if he was attending someone's removal, maybe he was grieving and while this would make his message unprofessional, it was perhaps excusable if he'd been missing this removal for a viewing that turned out to be a no-show? (As far as he was concerned.) It's hard to know though when you haven't relayed his full message ... perhaps because, if you had, people might be more sympathetic towards him? I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

all i can say....the sunday lunch is outstanding....it's pricey but well worth it...type of lunch that could have you laid up on couch for the day in front of the tv!!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭chanelfreak

OP, i agree with the other posters who have said that you could have included some more details in what was a pretty vague email (although obviously you had other things on your mind) but you should definitely have followed the email up with a quick phonecall just to make sure the message was received.

I read the reviews on TA and I'm sure it won't be long before the owner replies with his two cents...

I do hope your uncle is recovering and that you have a better experience with the next venue you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

MrTom1 wrote: »
    Overpriced , the management only hire foreign nationals who intern rent accommodation on site thus the wages go back into the hotel. Worst place every to work

Tom this is ridiculous, we got married there last year and many local people worked in the venue. All the wedding co-ordinators worked locally, the waitors were local and never indicated they lived there. Maybe they had a few extras hidden away in the cupboards?? :rolleyes:

We visited the place many times before booking and before having our wedding there including a night over. We loved it and had nothing but good things to say about them. The owner was really nice and always very professional. Our guests raved about it and the staff and food were one of the key things people commented on. I agree with some of the responses being harsh but a few peoples opinion in no way reflects the experience we or our guests had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I've stayed and eaten there and thought it was lovely.

It's kind of refreshing to see someone respond to this sort of 'i'll run to Trip Advisor!!' stuff in an articulate and even amusing way, although his responses are a bit OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Jaysus,[SNIP] has a lot of time on his hands.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭onasis

I don't get what all the fuss is about op. You sent a very vague email which to my mind is unsatisfactory and then even go so far as to say that "your loved one" was in hospital - I hope your uncle is not really your loved one as that would be strange to say the least. To me it smacks of you pulling out of the appointment at the last minute and of the owner being a bit annoyed about this. TBH there's no need for rudeness but you didn't do yourself any favours in being so vague.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

The counter replies attributed to the owner of the establishment on Tripadvisor are nasty in some cases either condesceding or downright rude.

I know why an owner might be tempted to give it with both barrels if he considered that the claims were untrue and by someone who hadnt even attended the venue in question. This would be typical of Tripadvisor as there are a lot of business rivals who might stoop to such levels (I have seen some nasty restaurant reviews that would be very suspect). But it is quite clear that the people he is responding to are or rather were patrons of the hotel from the personal information the manager is disclosing about the patrons who have reviewed his business in what should be some form of professional apology.

In one response he has indicated in very fine detail that the reviewer (and one time customer!!!) spent more money on alcohol in one sitting than the cost of board, intimating that they were too drunk to appreciate the food!

The tone of the responses I have read to people who have given anything less than 4 stars are arrogant, sarcastic and unprofessional.

Such responses paint a very poor picture for would be future customers. Owners and managers should take a step back before they rant in reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

In defence of the OP I always found Rathsallagh very hard to contact by phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

P_1 wrote: »

In summary, having a whine online about being (correctly) chastised is nothing to deter others from the place.

don't mind these naysayers OP.

I for one thank you for pointing this place to me - coupled with the snotty replies on trip advisor to anybody who doesn't bow down to the place as lead me to ensure i don't consider this spot in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It would definitely put me off. As someone said it's easy to be nice and professional when everything is going well. It's how a company handles problems that shows their mettle imo. His behaviour for someone in the hospitality industry is appalling. No matter what is going on you leave your baggage at the door when you go into work. You don't take it out on customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

OP- you really should have followed up the email with a call first thing in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

I read the reviews for the lols and I think this guy is kind of refreshing. He is straight up and in fairness seems to back up what he is saying. He even went to the rounds of investigating a dinner review that was posted by someone who wasn't even there!

I think in many cases the Irish approach is to avoid direct confrontation and complain to all and sundry.

Strikes me as somebody who is hardworking and passionate about his venue. I would say if the OP doesn't like his attitude to cancel fair enough but other people should make their own mind up about him.

As others have said he may have made his own sacrifices to be there, and sure he could have sucked it up and accepted the late cancellation but that is not this guys style!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have read the responses on trip advisor. OP I see you left a review...I am going to be glued to trip advisor to see what his response is!!
    He is scary!!!! :eek:

I had a sleepless night last, so rather than disturb OH, got up and opened laptop. Came across this topic and went on TA to read the reviews. I laughed so loud, that OH came down to see what was tickling me. Haven't had such a good laugh in ages! He's so articulate, so unprofessional and so blind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

jimd2 wrote: »
    Wow,

just read the response here to a complaint here. Doesnt put the proprietor in a good light.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g551588-d271749-Reviews-Rathsallagh_House-Dunlavin_County_Wicklow.html#REVIEWS

I have spotted this kind of response from him before on Trip Advisor. It completely put me off ever going to his hotel.
    As a method of marketing, it is on par with the best of Basil Fawlty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

wingnut wrote: »
    I read the reviews for the lols and I think this guy is kind of refreshing. He is straight up and in fairness seems to back up what he is saying. He even went to the rounds of investigating a dinner review that was posted by someone who wasn't even there!

I think in many cases the Irish approach is to avoid direct confrontation and complain to all and sundry.

Strikes me as somebody who is hardworking and passionate about his venue. I would say if the OP doesn't like his attitude to cancel fair enough but other people should make their own mind up about him.

As others have said he may have made his own sacrifices to be there, and sure he could have sucked it up and accepted the late cancellation but that is not this guys style!

Thats not "the Irish approach". When you choose to work in hospitality, you choose to put on your customer service face when things don't go to plan. Fair enough, being a bit narked about a no-show, but those Trip Advisor responses are wholly unprofessional. I've dealt with difficult customers many many times but unless they're really out of line you just suck it up because that's what you're paid to do (and they're the ones paying).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement