Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Negative Experience Rathsallagh House MOD WARNING POST 19 & 63

Options
  • 05-07-2015 9:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭

MOD: please read on thread warnings here and here before posting on this thread.

I want to warn all engaged couples about Rathsallagh House. Stay well away from the place. I'm really upset and shocked at how I have been treated by them.

I had an appointment to view the venue today at 11:30am. Last night my uncle was taken in to hospital and I had to drive his wife in because she doesn't drive. We were there until really late and I wasn't sure if I'd need to drive her in again in the morning or if someone else could do it, so I decided it was best to cancel my appointment with Rathsallagh. I didn't want to cancel at such short notice but obviously my family is more important. I wasn't going to call late at night so I emailed the woman that made the appointment with me. I sent her these exact words the night before:

Hi [SNIP],

I'm really sorry but I have to cancel out 11:30 appointment tomorrow. I'll get back in touch if I can reschedule.

Kind regards,

Jen

The next day I had to return to the hospital in the morning and was there all morning and afternoon. At approx 1pm I had the first opportunity to look at my phone all day and noticed a text message from a man called [SNIP] saying that he was waiting for me in Rathsallagh and wondering if I was coming. This is the first time I learned that the person due to show me around was a man called [SNIP] and I figured that [SNIP]hadn't had a chance to inform him of the cancellation. I thought that this was awful for the poor man waiting around so I messaged him back and apologised to him and said if I had been given his number I would have definitely called him or got in touch with him directly rather than [SNIP] to let him know. The response I received back was unlike anything I ever expected. He verbally abused me and told me that despite the fact that my loved one was in hospital that i was very discourteous person for not showing up to the viewing. He accused me of lying about sending the mail, saying that [SNIP] had never received it (I have it in my sent items and I have screenshotted it as proof!). He continued to tell me about how his personal life was really disrupted, talked about his kids, about a removal he had to attend and all this other personal stuff. It was really really unprofessional and I am in total shock that someone who represents a wedding venue would treat a prospective customer that way.

At least this was only the viewing and not the wedding. Can you imagine if something unforseen happened around the time of the wedding - this guy's anger would be the last think you'd need, just like the way his anger and unprofessionalism is the last thing I need at this difficult time. I think someone who is unable to deal with last minute changes shouldn't be working in the wedding industry. This man's attitude was the complete opposite to all the wonderful, professional people I have encountered in venues so far. So stay away from Rathsallagh everyone and tell every engaged couple that you know because this man is the most abusive man I have ever encountered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I would go to management about this and tell them the conversation. Give them either

A) the right to reply, or
    B) the potential to put the matter right, or
    C) the knowledge to use their disciplinary procedure if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

[SNIP] owns Rathsallagh.

I have to say, I'm hugely surprised.

We have been in contact with [SNIP] and the team in the hotel regularly since we booked and we could say absolutely nothing bad about any of them.

In fact, I'd go as far as saying that [SNIP] is the reason we booked with them in the first place due to the rapport we had with him, he and they have bent over backwards to facilitate and accommodate any and all requests we have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I have never had any dealings with rathsallagh, however I do want to say don't be under any illusion that the 'wedding organizers' in these venues are required to be kind and professional. Most are, in my experience, especially the ones at the big corporate venues where they have someone to answer to.

Some of the smaller country house type venues had really rude people dealing with potential couples...as soon as you asked an untoward question or queried a policy , such as genuine curiosity at full accommodation booking needed for the night, the nice mask would quickly fade!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

There is no excuse for anyone to be abusive in any circumstances especially in a context like this.

I have to say, however, upon reading the email sent to [SNIP] and before reading [SNIP]'s reaction that my feeling was that the email sent in was minimal in explanation and a reference to if you could reschedule. I do think that you should have followed up with a telephone call to the venue if she had not confirmed receipt of the email.

However, in no way does it excuse the behaviour that you reported here.

I would make an official complaint as suggested above, detail as much as you can and move on. Best of luck in the resty of your wedding planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Have a look at Tripadvisor. [SNIP] has a way with words and doesn't take criticism. Take a look at the bad reviews. Instead of apologising or offering to put right the guests complaints he straight out attacks them. Makes for funny reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Here Comes The Trio

Rackstar wrote: »
    Have a look at Tripadvisor. [SNIP] has a way with words and doesn't take criticism. Take a look at the bad reviews. Instead of apologising or offering to put right the guests complaints he straight out attacks them. Makes for funny reading.

Ha just checked them out, brilliant! (or awful, depending on how you look at it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Ha just checked them out, brilliant! (or awful, depending on how you look at it!)

Quality stuff alright. Now it'd just make my weekend if he turned up on this thread swinging for the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

Crikey! That is all.

Agree about a lot of country houses and professional management. There are quite a few places i just wouldnt be comfortable in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Oh gosh OP that is terrible.

I have met the owner [SNIP] and thought he was very nice! Rathsallagh really is a stunning venue, we found the staff and service amazing when we visited. I must read up on those trip advisor reviews and have a laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

To be fair you really didn't give them enough notice with the email (I appreciate you would have had other things on the mind). The owner strikes me as one who takes no crap and is quick to point it out.

In summary, having a whine online about being (correctly) chastised is nothing to deter others from the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have just looked at tripadvisor. Wow, that guy is mental. Utterly destroys everyone who doesn't give them 4 stars or more and peppers his comments about really personal information. He seems very vindictive. In one response to a woman who didn't find the bed comfortable he suggested it might be because she is pregnant, something she hadn't brought up herself! I wonder how long he spent trawling through guest records like a demented person before he came up with that one. I certainly wouldn't want to deal with someone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's a disgraceful way for anyone to carry on but from an owner even more so. The email was vague but to have a go after learning why the OP cancelled is uncalled for. These things happen in the service industry, you deal with it professionally and give the family the time and respect the circumstances require. You don't call someone a liar and make them feel bad because they couldn't make it. His attitude says that his time is more important than the OPs medical emergency and who wants to do business with someone like that? I hope your uncle is okay xx

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I have just looked at tripadvisor. Wow, that guy is mental. Utterly destroys everyone who doesn't give them 4 stars or more and peppers his comments about really personal information. He seems very vindictive. In one response to a woman who didn't find the bed comfortable he suggested it might be because she is pregnant, something she hadn't brought up herself! I wonder how long he spent trawling through guest records like a demented person before he came up with that one. I certainly wouldn't want to deal with someone like that.

Yeah that was pretty unsettling to be honest. They're not doing themselves any favours there.

OP I agree that the way you were spoken to is unacceptable, however you should have made more of an effort to make sure they knew you weren't coming.

IMO an e-mail on a Friday night isn't enough - a lot of wedding coordinators are only in the office during business hours, so it's quite likely that they wouldn't have seen the email that morning. Your email was also was very vague, which could have given the impression that you were messing them around. A follow up call early the following morning would have most likely prevented this.

Put it behind you and spend your money somewhere else where you're treated better. I hope your uncle gets better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Wow,

just read the response here to a complaint here. Doesnt put the proprietor in a good light.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g551588-d271749-Reviews-Rathsallagh_House-Dunlavin_County_Wicklow.html#REVIEWS

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sing_dumb

[SNIP] Consider yourself fortunate to have had a lucky escape, as the place is over-ratred & vastly over/priced anyway. Loads of other great wedding venues to choose from, in Wicklow, Kildare or Carlow areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Oh my God I'm booked to do a wedding here next year (I'm the celebrant), and after reading some of those Tripadvisor reviews I'm slightly terrified now..!!! Haha Jaysis he's hardcore- thanks for the heads up OP!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Those TripAdvisor responses are atrocious. No business owner should be responding to dissatisfied customers in this manner! Of course some customers can be whiny, obnoxious, and entitled in their reviews, but when you are providing a service they have paid for, the onus is on you to take the high road and not try to out-do them in terms of childish pettiness.

I think you've had a lucky escape, OP.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

mod note: guys please don't name individuals involved. Discussion is fine once nobody mentions a person's name. Also just a quick reminder for new users to read the charter, in particular the rules around posting reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

jimd2 wrote: »
    Wow,

just read the response here to a complaint here. Doesnt put the proprietor in a good light.

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g551588-d271749-Reviews-Rathsallagh_House-Dunlavin_County_Wicklow.html#REVIEWS

Holy f**K!!!!! :D

It's quite threatening for him to say he can "easily identify past guests" ........ if I stayed there I'd lie to him about everything personal (my job, where I live and even my real name!!) because this lad is nuts ........ funny to read though!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The new arrival is imminent and hopefully that little bundle of joy will surely make all those nuances and discomforts disappear. We wish you the very best

Lol, a lady gave them lots of kind words but wasn't happy with the mattress

Owner declares to the world that she is pregnant :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Haha those reviews are great!!

I do agree that the OP should have phoned the hotel that morning to cancel, they would have been open early.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭gelsthe

Omg I wouldn't go there now simply because of the arrogant way that joe person slates anyone who gives an opinion on trip advisor!!

So un professional.. -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

This was my favourite when somebody complained the drawing room did not resemble a drawing room

"A drawing room is a room in a house where visitors may be entertained. The name is derived from the sixteenth-century terms withdrawing room and withdrawing chamber, we are sorry if you expected easels and a nude. "

Very unprofessional. He's quite articulate, pity he doesn't put it to better use than abusing customers. If I left a negative review I'd just leave it at that. If I got one of his responses I'd make sure I told people how bad it was. Not doing himself any favours, his ego is obviously more important to him than future business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Lol, a lady gave them lots of kind words but wasn't happy with the mattress

Owner declares to the world that she is pregnant :pac:

That owner is soooo condescending. I'm sure the mattress in rathsallagh house wasn't the first one that woman lay on since she was pregnant. I bet she knows the difference between a good and bad one and he tries to make out it was just her pregnancy!

Rathsallagh house do not take critiscm well at all. Far from promising an improvement on the issues they just deny deny deny. Those bad reviews weren't even petty like others on tripadvisor can be!! They sound a little bit too big for their boots if you ask me, and if that gets out they won't last too long in the hospitality sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I'm hoping someone sends them a link to this page so they can respond. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I've never stayed at this venue, and to be honest, I don't think I would be too enthusiastic about giving business to someone who comes out with the likes of this online: (very unprofessional in my view):

As you are aware this is the 2nd reincarnation of your review for Rathsallagh, the first having to be removed due to in appropriate prejudice against staff members. We are sorry that for some reason you seem to have been at odds with us from the outset. Since you mentioned drink pricing being twice that of the room, let us explain. You were on a Pigs back deal for B&B for two, so in effect you had a 50% reduction on rack rate . Your drinks bill for one siting then was twice your room bill, 2 bottles of wine before dinner, 2 more during followed by other bar beverages then shots to finish, we are not surprised then that you found the menu one dimensional. We do take on board your comments about the place being old, the room you were in is circa 1700, and we also appreciate your feedback on other elements, but that is no to say we agree with you. The great thing about these anonymous forums is that there is room for free speech, but we should never be prejudicial towards those less fortunate. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭PinkLemonade

The OPs already put the review in tripadvisor so I'm sure they'll hear about it either way.

To be fair to the hotel the reviews are generally excellent on there, it must be frustrating to get a negative review if the guest hadnt said anything at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I could imagine a Liam Neeson in Taken type response. Except he would know who you are - and he'd know what you had for dinner and what time you had it. He'd also know what colour your socks are.

Very creepy and personal responses from an unprofessional bully.

Maybe I don't understand correctly. Almost all of the reviews are good! The answers are a bit superior but seem to me to be good at addressing the complaints, and there are only 4 bad ones!

The OP is out of order in my opinion posting a review when didn't stay there. It matters not for what reason, but the OP emailed the house late the night before an appointment. Not much good to the managers, but not a reason for the manager to be rude.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Uriel. wrote: »
    I've never stayed at this venue, and to be honest, I don't think I would be too enthusiastic about giving business to someone who comes out with the likes of this online: (very unprofessional in my view):
    Wow! 'Those less fortunate' :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement