Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requesting guest specific gift.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I thought at the very end after bridesmaid gate thread was closed Toots did actually post an update from the OP? I remember reading it and it posted about what actually then went down on the day. I'm sure I read what happened in the end. Perhaps the thread has since been deleted.... Maybe I dreamt it??!
    No you didn't dream it, the op sent the update and toots posted it and it was every bit as bad as we had feared !

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

No you didn't dream it, the op sent the update and toots posted it and it was every bit as bad as we had feared !

I would love to know if they still have any friends after it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I would contact them requesting the first payment on the portrait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

NewCorkLad wrote: »

Is the original thread around or gone forever?!

• Advertisement

toadfly wrote: »
    Is the original thread around or gone forever?!

Gone Forever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

You should paint the portrait like a caricture ..... with moths flying out of just opened wallets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

NewCorkLad wrote: »

OMG skitting I was reading it to the other girl in work. I knew I remembered something about them being stranded..

What a twat of a couple I must say.. I would have started a tab at the bar for them and left it running...

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

bjork wrote: »
    Get them around to sit for an hour or 2 anyway, in silence posing while you paint the picture of the mixer

You made me laugh out loud at work. If I get fired, its all your fault! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

D3PO wrote: »
    its rude and ignorant to expect a gift not to mind specify one..

I don't agree. It is perfectly normal to expect wedding gift to be given from those who you invite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

*grabs box of popcorn leftover from bridesmaidgate*

I love the Weddings forum!!! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

The most recent Wedding I was at had the following request on the Invite
    "The only present we require is YOUR presence. Please help us make our special day memorable."

I like that. That's classy. I don't agree with people having to pay out for an event you have invited them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

skallywag wrote: »
    I don't agree. It is perfectly normal to expect wedding gift to be given from those who you invite.

We invited friends to our wedding because they were just that, our friends and we wanted them there. If they gave a gift -great. If not-great as well.

Anybody who even dreams of mentioning wedding gifts on an invitation is crass beyond belief. Why not extend this racket to birthday parties, christenings and confirmations as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

If they want a mixer that badly, I'd text back confirmation for the painting sitting asking for confirmation of the address to send the invoice for it to. The cheek!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

I'm here panicking to make sure we don't rely on presents and people get away with asking for two, that's insane.

I'm hoping to ask a friend to help me with the cake but I'm nervous it's too much pressure on her. She's made loads and I'd buy all the ingredients but as far I'm concerned that's more than a big present. I actually hate the idea of asking for anything, how do people have the cheek?

We choose to get married. Our friends didn't choose to give us a ton of presents to attend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I've actually come to the conclusion that this thread is a complete and utter have. If it's not.... It beats cupcake gate, bridesmaid/dinnergate and all other threads ever posted on this and other similar wedding forums. O bar the one where some woman was going apesh*t because her children who were cousins of a cousins cousin weren't invited to a wedding that she was invited to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

^ oh, I'd forgotten about that one Sligo!!! Hee hee :D

The one about the cousins kids was legit I thought. She was all over another forum too

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭vanessamee

You will be the bigger fool if you give in and buy the stand mixer ive one but only because im a chef. paid 700 for my one. id ger her a bowl and for ever five years married id send a hand held mixer (tesco 20e) than id send them mixing tongs and so on actually send a plug first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

The one about the cousins kids was legit I thought. She was all over another forum too

Yea and wasn't there like 5 children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

michellie wrote: »
    Yea and wasn't there like 5 children?

Yes and she had told them they were going, and I think either got them the outfits for it or told them what they would be wearing to it, and was all set to bring grandad in to sort the wedding couple out because she hasn't got her way !!!

I just meant I think she was actually nuts and not a troll

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I am nowhere near getting married (though I do work on the fringes of the wedding business) but this forum is my new favourite.
    Laughed out loud multiple times reading through this thread, especially at the portrait of the stand mixer, hilarious. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I was sketching last night and ended up drawing the stand mixer after getting a call from the mother of the bride.

Her and my mother are close and my moter had mentioned that I was baffled at their request. She called me to apologize. She said she was trying to reign them both in but that both regard the gift as payment for the invite.

She said they had decided to value my portrait at €35. I was totally taken back and furious! She valued the mixer at €200 and said that they thought that €235 was a reasonable gift!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I was sketching last night and ended up drawing the stand mixer after getting a call from the mother of the bride.

Her and my mother are close and my moter had mentioned that I was baffled at their request. She called me to apologize. She said she was trying to reign them both in but that both regard the gift as payment for the invite.

She said they had decided to value my portrait at €35. I was totally taken back and furious! She valued the mixer at €200 and said that they thought that €235 was a reasonable gift!

Value the portrait at €10,000 and ask her for your change. :pac:

It's fairly obvious she's not living on the same planet at the rest of us!!

I'd be seeing red. As a bride to be even to cover your guests costs the average is 100e per head. But you dont get married to make money!!!!

Invest the money you are spending on sometime else if thats the case

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Lau2976 wrote: »

€235 was a reasonable gift!

Nice to see that they really value your presence. That's outrageous.

Also an average painting or portrait goes at 750e. I know cos we bought one lately for a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

€35 for a portrait?! Christ, I understand to a certain extent when people don't realise the cost of materials/labour/etc for things like this (like the knitting mentioned earlier in the thread too) but where is she off to with that price.

And €235 a 'reasonable gift'? Kindly feck off.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

€35 wouldnt even pay for the blank canvas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement