Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ballymagarvey village??? any reviews???

• 27-01-2012 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

has anyone been to a wedding in ballymagarvey village near slane???? thinking of booking it but want a few opinions before hand

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Balgrath

I too would be interested in some reviews. if anyone has prices etc.. i'd defo be interested in a PM. I have it on my short list to go and see.
    thanks
    Bal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

i haven't been but friends have and said it was amazing. however, it does have a big price tage to go with it. i think it starts at €125 a head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

they do a winter deal for €8999 for min 100 people...
    max price goes to about €119pp as far as i remember.
    Went to see it last week... it is fab, but to be honest i thought it lacked character. Very much my own opinion, as i like somewhere to be more "real" rustic if that makes any sense!
    The function room is quite big, you'd probably want a bit over 100 people for it to feel full at all.

Bedrooms in the main house were all gorgeous.

If it was within budget I'd def recommend at least going to have a look at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

In some ways its really nice, the old house works well and the function room being seperated is nice but there is something about the place I cant put my finger on. Maybe its a bit forced and the price would put me off for a start. Food was nearly the best I have had.

4AE6933C6B7F49A898395D55585638A8-0000314346-0002718983-00800L-C2C9C40871FB4D90A5474499C2F21852.jpg

CCE587AA5A584F47AACF18F903CD93BF-0000314346-0002718982-00800L-143396A2758744A7BFF26FD63503353A.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Borderfox wrote: »
    In some ways its really nice, the old house works well and the function room being seperated is nice but there is something about the place I cant put my finger on. Maybe its a bit forced and the price would put me off for a start. Food was nearly the best I have had.

4AE6933C6B7F49A898395D55585638A8-0000314346-0002718983-00800L-C2C9C40871FB4D90A5474499C2F21852.jpg

CCE587AA5A584F47AACF18F903CD93BF-0000314346-0002718982-00800L-143396A2758744A7BFF26FD63503353A.jpg

And the bar is outside the function room.

• Advertisement

The one main thing I like about is that its only your guests are there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭LJL

do you know how many people it caters for?
    i would be very interested in this place. its fab.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Bar outside the function room doesn't work unless its a very large wedding. Function room was emptied after the meal and it was tough to get people back into dance. Id agree 100% with Borderfox's comment, there is something about the place that keeps it from being as amazing as it prices its self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

We liked the look of it, the brochure I got was 125 a head as well. We simply couldn't afford that for our numbers.
    Otherwise, it looks very pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

We got married there in July. Had 120 at our wedding, bar being outside the function room was a minor problem on an otherwise beautiful day.....and really only in retrospect.......I didnt notice at the time!

Our guests were stunned with the place.....literally as was the case with the food. It was amazing and simply kept coming. They gave us enough food for a week! We had a rare fab day in July , the sun was shining which helped as the guests could make full use of the house and grounds which I think is BMG's major selling point! We also had a sing song into the wee hours (6am) which is another major plus, no hotel guests to disturb :p

Anyone need a more detailed review (including negatives ;)) feel free to PM me! On the whole though fabulous place although I am probably biased!! Oh and we were able to haggle on price.....

• Advertisement

LBD wrote: »
    We got married there in July. Had 120 at our wedding, bar being outside the function room was a minor problem on an otherwise beautiful day.....and really only in retrospect.......I didnt notice at the time!

Our guests were stunned with the place.....literally as was the case with the food. It was amazing and simply kept coming. They gave us enough food for a week! We had a rare fab day in July , the sun was shining which helped as the guests could make full use of the house and grounds which I think is BMG's major selling point! We also had a sing song into the wee hours (6am) which is another major plus, no hotel guests to disturb :p

Anyone need a more detailed review (including negatives ;)) feel free to PM me! On the whole though fabulous place although I am probably biased!! Oh and we were able to haggle on price.....

I played there several times last year, everyone always had a good time, but as said earlier...there will be more people in the bar then in the dancefloor for the music. just unavoidable at an irish wedding. doesnt matter who's playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Was a guest there, thought it was lovely that there was nobody else there, the bar thing is a bit odd, but all in all I really liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone need a more detailed review (including negatives ;)) feel free to PM me!
    This ain't weddingsonline, boards.ie doesn't rely on the wedding suppliers as advertisers so we're allowed post negatives on the main forum ;)

Sleepy wrote: »
    This ain't weddingsonline, boards.ie doesn't rely on the wedding suppliers as advertisers so we're allowed post negatives on the main forum ;)

I sincerely hope you are not alluding to the fact that I am somehow affiliated with Ballymagarvey? A quick read through of my post history will put that one to bed.

Over all my experience with them was good which is the point I was trying to get across. I offered for people to pm as I found this a help in the run up to my wedding. I had very specific problems with them which, if mentioned in a public post would lead straight back to me so I am entitled to keep this private. No other reasons. I was only trying to be helpful.

* deleted by request*

I edited my original post. Would rather you dont quote it thanks Clint_silver.

I edited my original post. Would rather you dont quote it thanks Clint_silver.

done. :)

It should be noted you will not read a bad recommendations on weddingsonline for one of their advertisers no matter how honest and true review is, search and try and find one. I dont mind this, its their business, I wouldnt advertise with them if I seen them allowing a bad recommendation either.
    However it kind of questions any standards they have around "a weddingsonline preferred vendor". So how does anyone reading the reviews get impartial recommendations when the view is "they advertise with us, therefore they must be great".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I sincerely hope you are not alluding to the fact that I am somehow affiliated with Ballymagarvey? A quick read through of my post history will put that one to bed.

Over all my experience with them was good which is the point I was trying to get across. I offered for people to pm as I found this a help in the run up to my wedding. I had very specific problems with them which, if mentioned in a public post would lead straight back to me so I am entitled to keep this private. No other reasons. I was only trying to be helpful.
    As was I.

I incorrectly assumed that the offer to PM the negative aspects was related to the policy of other wedding forums to delete anything negative about their advertisers and a lack of familiarity with this forum's rules. No suggestion that you're in any way related to the company.

done. :)

It should be noted you will not read a bad recommendations on weddingsonline for one of their advertisers no matter how honest and true review is, search and try and find one. I dont mind this, its their business, I wouldnt advertise with them if I seen them allowing a bad recommendation either.
    However it kind of questions any standards they have around "a weddingsonline preferred vendor". So how does anyone reading the reviews get impartial recommendations when the view is "they advertise with us, therefore they must be great".

No I have to apologise. I completely took the post up wrong and am sorry for my quick response! I am just not comfortable which bad mouthing them in public.....I suppose I'm a bit of a wuss :( no problems giving an honest review privately :rolleyes:

I see where you're coming from as a supplier though. My photographer was a weddingsonline preferred vendor who we were less than impressed with as it turns out so there is definitely some truth in what you're saying!!

I don't moan about all suppliers btw, most were excellent :D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Something worth considering, I heard about someone who is getting married there and asked for a bar to be setup in the function room and close the bar next door.

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    Something worth considering, I heard about someone who is getting married there and asked for a bar to be setup in the function room and close the bar next door.

this works great in other places. Drink selection is normally limited but do serve to keep people in the room. The westin hotel function room is the only place I see this regularly but Id say only because the main bar is actually downstairs in there.

not sure where they could set that up in the room in ballymagarvey, the times Ive played there, the room has been jammed and a temporary bar would take some amount of time to set up.

Not the biggest of function rooms and when the band is in it would be very squashed for space, any band I have seen there have had the floor full all night so must be you Clint :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 seaside house

Hi there, Im hoping to book my wedding in bmv very soon and I was wondering if you have any tips regarding the haggling?? Also if you had any pics of ur day id love to see them.

Cheers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 miumiu1

Hi there, Im hoping to book my wedding in bmv very soon and I was wondering if you have any tips regarding the haggling?? Also if you had any pics of ur day id love to see them.

Cheers!!
    Hi Seaside House,
    Just got engaged and in the hunt for a venue at the moment. Was considering BMV and I was wondering how you got on with the haggling & prices? Also had you any luck with having to book out all the accommodation? Any assistance at all would be great as I am totally new to all this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Parable

I was immediately attracted to Ballymagarvey and budgeted for 135 guests. The views, house and grounds are stunning; however the more we spoke to the staff the more disassociated we became. The owner/manager was extremely helpful and friendly, however the staff were all over the place. As with most people we tried to get a fair price to cater for alternative choices i.e. bespoke (nothing complicated I might add). We received incorrect prices, after 3 visits had spoken to 7 different members of staff, phone calls not returned and complete disinterest. I'm not sure if they may have put in a greater effort if we were inviting larger numbers but this is what they advertise for and after all it is our wedding day! We're a very easy going couple who visited 3 other venues that all provided an excellent service.

Perhaps we were unlucky and it was during a marketing campaign Ballymagarvey had, but I feel the basics of service should be to a reasonable standard and we felt they were not.

Best of luck with choosing a venue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I djed a wedding here on saturday after a band. I thought the place looked amazing and the staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful to us especially considering the room is a bit awkward to setup in after the meal. The bar being sperate didnt seem much of an issue for the band or dj set and althought the band started late due to speeches etc I was allowed play till nearly 3 am so the couple didn't lose out. It certainly had the wow factor for me and I've seem nearly all the great venues in leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cat2111

Hi I hope you dont mind me messaging you but thought you might be able to help? I was about to put down a deposit in ballymagarvey but am a bit concerned as they agreed a package with us verbally and they went back on it in the written agreement. Would you mind sharing with me how you go on with the haggling? We are having a big wedding about 180. Thanks, Caitriona

Cat2111 wrote: »
    Hi I hope you dont mind me messaging you but thought you might be able to help? I was about to put down a deposit in ballymagarvey but am a bit concerned as they agreed a package with us verbally and they went back on it in the written agreement. Would you mind sharing with me how you go on with the haggling? We are having a big wedding about 180. Thanks, Caitriona

This is not a haggling issue on price for me, this is an honesty issue. Ask them to justify the difference in price and is that how they normally do business? And if you agree to it, what else are they going to renege on?

Im not suprised in the least by this from them. Not to be trusted IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cat2111

Thanks so much. Yes I was surprised to be honest. I have had some trouble on the co-ordination side....talking to 4/5 people and all sending me different details and different prices. I do love the venue but a bit concerned. How did your wedding go? Where you happy overall? Thanks

• Advertisement

Cat2111 wrote: »
    Thanks so much. Yes I was surprised to be honest. I have had some trouble on the co-ordination side....talking to 4/5 people and all sending me different details and different prices. I do love the venue but a bit concerned. How did your wedding go? Where you happy overall? Thanks

Not my wedding, I do wedding band and DJ and have played there a few times. Couple of bad experiences with management. staff themselves are nice.

I dont think Ive ever said anything bad about any service or venue on here but the manager up there has made me come close a couple of times. :mad:

You meet a few personalities along the way and can live with that but he is the only guy in the entire country in any venue who ever p'd me off. Twice!!! 'nuff said.

Staff are nice though.

Advertisement