Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

average recession wedding gift??

1234568»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

campo wrote: »
    But playing devils advocate if it was a funeral and the family asked for no flowers or dontation only to some charity you would not be offended.
    But if a couple getting married who has no use of gifts wheter it be toasters or otherwise state that they would prefer money as a gift people get there nose up.

thats not comparing like with like though unless you have registered yourself as a charity. if you have by all means send a copy of your CHY with your invites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

kandr10 wrote: »
    I didn't say that it wasn't.

I'm saying people give gifts for lots of occasions so why would you put in special requests (ie money only) for a wedding when it's not done otherwise.

But playing devils advocate if it was a funeral and the family asked for no flowers or dontation only to some charity you would not be offended.
    But if a couple getting married who has no use of gifts wheter it be toasters or otherwise state that they would prefer money as a gift people get there nose up.

I spoke to a few guest who will be attending my wedding over the weeked and told them straight out not to buy a present that if they did want to give anything and they did not have to ( infact a few I told flat out give nothing as they cant affod anything ) to give cash in a card and they were delighted at this as most of them said they would not have a clue what to buy us anyway so suits everyone.

Now I know it does not work this way for every wedding but if I was invited to a wedding and couple asked for just cash I would not mind I would just give the same amount of cash that I would have spent on their present better going to them then brown thomas or where ever
    Well you've made a good point - funeral is only acceptable time to say you would prefer one thing over another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

It is traditional to give a wedding present.
    If you didn't bring a present you would be unusual.

It is traditional to give a gift at weddings but it is not traditional to "pay for your meal"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I spoke to a few guest who will be attending my wedding over the weeked and told them straight out not to buy a present that if they did want to give anything and they did not have to ( infact a few I told flat out give nothing as they cant affod anything ) to give cash in a card and they were delighted at this as most of them said they would not have a clue what to buy us anyway so suits everyone.

Now I know it does not work this way for every wedding but if I was invited to a wedding and couple asked for just cash I would not mind I would just give the same amount of cash that I would have spent on their present better going to them then brown thomas or where ever

But flowers at a funeral aren't really a "gift"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MazG

Interesting point about the funeral issue, but I agree with amdublin that flowers at a funeral aren't a gift in the same sense as a birthday or wedding gift.

As for the rest of your post. I don't have any problem at all with you responding honestly to your guests when asked what your preference for a gift would be because 1) if a guest says 'I'm getting you a wedding present, do you have any preference?' then you are not being rude by assuming that they must give a present and 2) you are answering a direct question truthfully.

Would it get my back up if a couple made clear their wish for cash (or other) as a present before being asked. Yes. Would I go so far as to go "Humph, X&Y are being rude, so I will teach them a lesson and buy them a hideous gift"? Probably not. Might be tempted though, depending on the couple in question ;)

Advertisement