Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinkering; Like Guntering for the Connected Generation.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Why use a motor to lift a fence line when you could attach one end to a magnet and then demagnetization it to drop the end of a fence joined up with a spring gate?

But then is the wire not just on the ground with no way of automatically picking it back up?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭G-Man

rounders wrote: »
    You can ring it or text. If you text it tells you the status but I'd be trying to get the father using it so just go with the basics of ringing the box which changes the box to either on or off depending on it's current position when you ring it

Yeah was doing some reading on Sigfox networks last night. Is that primarily only good for sending small data points or could it support triggering a action like the GSM plug?

My background is Information Systems so I understand the high level systems but get lost completely once we start talking about circuits

Some of these devices can answer after a fixed number of rings or how long to hang up to indicate if they are on or off.. Check web or manual if.it has this feature.

E.g it answers at 1 rings if device is on, else it wont answer till 4 rings....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭funnyname

endainoz wrote: »
    I have a similar system myself in the shed. (But not anywhere near as sophisticated as yours!)

The home house is about 300 metres from the slatted house so last year I ran a network cable from the router in the house into the shed. Connected that to an older router in the slatted shed to get WiFi. I have two foscam cameras working off it for calving season. They are fantastic quality and a fraction of the cost than giving some lad over a grand to install it for you.

I also connected a sonoff smart switch to the lights in the shed. Put the smart switch into a weather proof box for safety. I also have the mains fencer in the slatted house for connected that to a TP link smart plug. I can work all of these from my phone which is really convenient. Especially the fence one, no more having to ring the mother to go out to the shed to turn off the fence.

I thought the usability of Ethernet cable maxes out at 100m, did you do a straight run or was it broken up with some sort of repeater.

Looking to help a friend as I've run approx 90m from my house to an outside office. Had thought I would have to get him to use nano stations between his house and sheds.

Would be great if can be done by a long run of Ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Definitely just use 2 nano stations, they'll probably cost less than the length of cable, without the hassle of installing and buring it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭endainoz

funnyname wrote: »
    I thought the usability of Ethernet cable maxes out at 100m, did you do a straight run or was it broken up with some sort of repeater.

Looking to help a friend as I've run approx 90m from my house to an outside office. Had thought I would have to get him to use nano stations between his house and sheds.

Would be great if can be done by a long run of Ethernet cable.

Apologies, the cable length is 100metres, and the shed is about 60 metres from the home house, no repeater, was using power line converters but they were unreliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

Anyone know where I could pick up a 'for dummies' guide to all this stuff? Love all things technology, but tend to have a blind spot when it comes to the details of networks, circuits, automation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭emaherx

onrail wrote: »
    Anyone know where I could pick up a 'for dummies' guide to all this stuff? Love all things technology, but tend to have a blind spot when it comes to the details of networks, circuits, automation etc.

Probably not a "For Dummies Guide" for all this stuff as it's a broad enough subject. But there are loads of individual guides and different sources of reference materials.

Is there a particular technology you want to look at?

Good sources of information:
    Udemy.com, pay site for online courses (not just tech)

Some sites with good project examples
    https://www.instructables.com/
    https://Hackster.io/

Maybe pick a microcontroller and Google projects based on it. Popular ones are:

Arduino
    NodeMcu
    Raspberry Pi (more of a mini PC than a micro controller)

I think we have a problem here!! (thankfully nothing more than the Milker this morning never turned on the tank ha). Very handy to have the live temperature feed and only cost about 30e in total for the sonoff and an external temperature probe. What I'm working on at the minute with it is flash it to a custom firmware and set it up to log every 15mins, and for it to send me an alert if the tank temperature deviants too far outside a set range across the day.

Timmaay wrote: »
    I think we have a problem here!! (thankfully nothing more than the Milker this morning never turned on the tank ha). Very handy to have the live temperature feed and only cost about 30e in total for the sonoff and an external temperature probe. What I'm working on at the minute with it is flash it to a custom firmware and set it up to log every 15mins, and for it to send me an alert if the tank temperature deviants too far outside a set range across the day.

Are you done yet :D
    Should be straight forward enough :P

Been Looking more at the LoRa Devices. I've purchased a few bits and I'm waiting for them to arrive.
    In the mean time I've been tinkering with some devices that I already have using the MySensors.org libraries.

The MySensors Library supports a few different radio transceivers like the nrf24l01 (a 2.4GHz transceiver) and RFM95 (a LoRa device). I already had some nrf24l01 transceivers and as the sketches and wiring are very similar I started to convert my ESPHome based oil tank monitor to MySensors.

50002552856_f4ff14f24e_z.jpgIMG_20200613_082800 by Emaherx, on Flickr

It turns out the the NodeMCU ESP32 is not a great choice for battery powered sensors as it dose not support the sleep function in MySensors, however it works fine as a USB powered sensor and the USB port is also useful for as a serial monitor for debugging. It will be straight forward to port to an Arduino Pro Mini if battery powered is required for remote sensors.

Even without the LoRa transceivers I'm fairly impressed with the range of the nrf24l01 and has proven to be more reliable than the WiFi signal I'd previously been using with the ESPHome based node.

50002813442_d61ab8d2a4_z.jpgMySensors Distance SerialMon by Emaherx, on Flickr

#define MY_DEBUG
    #define MY_RADIO_RF24
    #define MY_NODE_ID 42
    #define MY_RF24_CHANNEL  91

#include <SPI.h>
    #include <MySensors.h>  
    #include <NewPing.h>

#define SENSOR_NAME "Distance Sensor"
    #define SENSOR_VERSION "1.1"

#define CHILD_ID 1  // Each radio node can report data for up to 254 different child sensors. You are free to choose the child id yourself. 
                        // You should avoid using child-id 255 because it is used for things like sending in battery level and other (protocol internal) node specific information.
    #define TRIGGER_PIN  16  // Arduino pin tied to trigger pin on the ultrasonic sensor.
    #define ECHO_PIN     4  // Arduino pin tied to echo pin on the ultrasonic sensor.
    #define MAX_DISTANCE 300 // Maximum distance we want to ping for (in centimeters). Maximum sensor distance is rated at 400-500cm.
    // unsigned long SLEEP_TIME = 5000; // Sleep time between reads (in milliseconds)

NewPing sonar(TRIGGER_PIN, ECHO_PIN, MAX_DISTANCE); // NewPing setup of pins and maximum distance.
    MyMessage msg(CHILD_ID, V_DISTANCE);
    int lastDist;
    bool metric = true;

void setup()  
    { 
      metric = getControllerConfig().isMetric;
    }

void presentation() {
      // Send the sketch version information to the gateway and Controller
      sendSketchInfo(SENSOR_NAME, SENSOR_VERSION);

// Register all sensors to gw (they will be created as child devices) by their ID and S_TYPE
      present(CHILD_ID, S_DISTANCE);
    }

void loop()      
    { 
      // use the build-in digital filter to discard out of range pings
      int echoTime = sonar.ping_median(10);
      int dist = metric?sonar.convert_cm(echoTime):sonar.convert_in(echoTime);
      Serial.print("Ping: ");
      Serial.print(dist);
      Serial.println(metric?" cm":" in");

if (dist != lastDist) {
          send(msg.set(dist));
          lastDist = dist;
      }

//sleep(SLEEP_TIME); commented out, won't compile for ESP32 used wait(5000); instead.
      wait(5000);
    }

• Advertisement

50004014338_18441b45e9_z.jpgIMG_20200614_110020 by Emaherx, on Flickr

Committed a design to veroboard using and Arduino Pro Mini running off a 3.7V LiPo battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

Anyone fit there own underground gate openers.
    What make or type is best. Cost seams to vary alot and hard to know which makes are best.
    LEB FAAC DEA ....

Ran some tests Today with some LoRa modules.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076T28KWG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Receiveing Data at an out farm over 1.5KM away with no issues.

Edit: had a walk around different out farms and I can get signal everywhere if I build 2 gateways, one on the home farm and one at my own house.

What lora gateways you using?

What lora gateways you using?

Using just the devices in the link above at the moment, for gateway and node. I only sent simple "hello" packets so far.

I've loaded one up now with a MySensors Gateway sketch and the other as a sensor node, so I need to test the range again with encryption and some proper data and see how reliable it is. The claimed range is 2.8KM on the devices but there are a lot of trees about and no LOS so I'm impressed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Gman1987

Some very interesting posts here, fair play to the guys here putting these devices together, you certainly need to be good with tech. A couple of items I came across that are off the shelf that I wouldnt mind owning, did anyone build something similar?

1. https://farmgalore.ie/product/batt-latch-sms/ - Batt - Latch opens paddocks to allow cows leave the paddock
    2. https://www.luda.farm/product/luda-fence/ - Fence alarm, would be very handy especially for out farms. I have land that one or two deer come into every now and again, they sometimes can get the electric fence tangled up with thorny wire therefore knocking out the fence, this decide would keep that monitored and notify if their was any change in fence power.

We briefly discussed both of those items (or similar recently).

The fence monitor, I'm currently looking into that and I think Timmaay mentioned it aswell, but I'm trying to setup a communications network for the farm to avoid SMS/GSM communications.

The gate opener would be farily simple to implement with a solonide, was also suggested earlier Rounders to use a small motorized winch that could lift a fence over the height of the cattle and lower back down after them so gates could be opened and closed using an automation.

Edit: Just looked at the prices on those links, the prices are fairly steep :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭enricoh

satstheway wrote: »
    Anyone fit there own underground gate openers.
    What make or type is best. Cost seams to vary alot and hard to know which makes are best.
    LEB FAAC DEA ....

I fitted the overground Rams , dea I went for. You can buy on eBay a lot cheaper than Irish automation websites.
    My sister got them installed by an automation crowd. I just bought the same kit online and took a few photos of the wiring on hers and copied it.
    Was less hassle than I was expecting!
    Underground you have hassle with drains etc

Great thread, I have alot of interest in this whole area. I frustrating haven't managed to bring enough ideas to fruition, but do have afew sonoffs around the place, one on the milk tank, electric fencer and one measuring mains voltage (which regularly drops here). Biggest complaint about the sonoffs is the rubbish ewelink software. I've been meaning to start flashing them with tasmota but just haven't got around to it yet. I've also looked at shelly, which seem to be sonoffs main competition, I need to order afew of them to play around with them, they seem to be getting better reviews than the sonoffs.

I purchased a few Shelly switches to replace some Tuya switches that can't be (easily) re-flashed with custom firmware . These are great, even though they can be re-flashed with custom firmware there is no need. They can be connected to a cloud service but also have a number of local control options including MQTT and http commands.

Not quite tinkering, but anyone else got a 3d printer? I've an ender 3 here, very nice simple to use printer, which cost about 200e delivered. My engineering days helped with the 3d modeling so I design up the odd few farm parts using fusion 360. My biggest hurdle so far has been getting abs plastic, which would be a decent bit stronger than the stock pla plastic to print correctly, abs doesn't adhere to the print bed nearly as good, I've tried half a dozen methods to get it to work but no real joy yet.

• Advertisement

Not quite tinkering, but anyone else got a 3d printer? I've an ender 3 here, very nice simple to use printer, which cost about 200e delivered. My engineering days helped with the 3d modeling so I design up the odd few farm parts using fusion 360. My biggest hurdle so far has been getting abs plastic, which would be a decent bit stronger than the stock pla plastic to print correctly, abs doesn't adhere to the print bed nearly as good, I've tried half a dozen methods to get it to work but no real joy yet.

No.
    But I'm definitely interested to see what farm parts you have made. It is something I wouldn't mind getting myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

Lads, would one of ye with the 3d printers have a look at making the plastic extension for the rear fenders on 4200 and 4300 series Massey's?
    I reckon there's a market there for them, they're only to be got from main dealers at eye watering money and not available spurious anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Another idea is using Thermoelectric generators (TEG)'s with wood stoves or any heat source. Maybe even could be used on milk bulk tank compressors.

No experience of them though.

Another idea is using Thermoelectric generators (TEG)'s with wood stoves or any heat source. Maybe even could be used on milk bulk tank compressors.

No experience of them though.

5 to 8% efficiency, against the likes of 30/40% with traditional methods of converting a fuel source to electricity, they serve no real purpose except for where there is waste heat from some industrial process and no other practical way to harvest this heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

5 to 8% efficiency, against the likes of 30/40% with traditional methods of converting a fuel source to electricity, they serve no real purpose except for where there is waste heat from some industrial process and no other practical way to harvest this heat.

Handy when the electricity goes out on a wintery night and you want to charge your phone.
    We're talking little generators the size of a phone battery available off Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

I often wondered could cattle tags be produced with a 3d printer..??

https://www.tindie.com/browse/lora/

Alot of very interesting devices here largely off the shelf and ready to go! I'm definitely going to be spending afew quid on this website.

They really are the real life Cyberdyne Systems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I read they were 10k or thereabouts.

Advertisement