Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinkering; Like Guntering for the Connected Generation.

Options

Comments

I'm still waiting on parts for the homemade batt latch so no progress to report.

However I've another half formed bit of thinking regarding a "poly wire lifter". Basically what it is is a small (rc car) winch which would lift the poly wire up at an appointed time and drop it back down at an appointed time.

I figure I need three functions minimum to do this.

1 Power goes to "reel in" winch function, to lift the wire.
    2 Power goes to "reel out" function, to drop the wire.
    3 Power is "off".

I'd also like to have a function where an audible sound or tune would play for a time before the wire lifts, stock would become accustomed to this so ewes could gather lambs for the move rather than ewes rushing headlong through a fence, running the length of a fence and trying to call lambs through a fence :rolleyes:

I'd also imagine a GSM over-ride switch could be wired in at some point, for "manual" operation?

Now, I'm electronically challenged - as we've seen by my uncanny ability to burn stuff out - so I figure this could operate on timers? But perhaps there are much better (simple) options than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I'm still waiting on parts for the homemade batt latch so no progress to report.

However I've another half formed bit of thinking regarding a "poly wire lifter". Basically what it is is a small (rc car) winch which would lift the poly wire up at an appointed time and drop it back down at an appointed time.

3 Power is "off".

I'd also like to have a function where an audible sound or tune would play for a time before the wire lifts, stock would become accustomed to this so ewes could gather lambs for the move rather than ewes rushing headlong through a fence, running the length of a fence and trying to call lambs through a fence :rolleyes:

I'd also imagine a GSM over-ride switch could be wired in at some point, for "manual" operation?

Now, I'm electronically challenged - as we've seen by my uncanny ability to burn stuff out - so I figure this could operate on timers? But perhaps there are much better (simple) options than that?

Even with the poly wire on the ground, would the ewes walk over it?

Even with the poly wire on the ground, would the ewes walk over it?

On the ground :confused:

The idea of the lifter is the poly wire is lifted up so they may pass under it.

Like this

https://youtu.be/2V8vT5N8A_g

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

On the ground :confused:

The idea of the lifter is the poly wire is lifted up so they may pass under it.

Ah, yes, that makes more sense all right... :)

Hog here broke into neighbours a while back, he only has cattle. The wire was high enough they could walk under, but some refused...

Am sure they’d get used to it though...

Ah, yes, that makes more sense all right... :)

Hog here broke into neighbours a while back, he only has cattle. The wire was high enough they could walk under, but some refused...

Am sure they’d get used to it though...

I think so, it's habit. My only worry is it might encourage some to try their luck at going under when they're not meant to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭emaherx

3 Power is "off".

What winch are you planning on using? Is it a toy winch for an RC car? Would it be up to the task?
    If I was planning this I'd use an old car window motor.

Also I'd probably use a microcontroller with some limit switches to be sure of raised and lowered positions. Not sure how far down that sort of route you'd consider.

Edit: actually think a microcontroller or micro PLC would be the way to go but using a winch powered by a stepper motor would be the simplest circuit to build and the programming would be simple enough, receive input and turn motor x amount of steps, receive second input an reverse motor x amount of steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭White Clover

I think so, it's habit. My only worry is it might encourage some to try their luck at going under when they're not meant to.

That's what will happen. They're clever animals.

That's what will happen. They're clever animals.

You could lift multiple strands, especially with a bungee type cord.

emaherx wrote: »
    What winch are you planning on using? Is it a toy winch for an RC car? Would it be up to the task?
    If I was planning this I'd use an old car window motor.

Also I'd probably use a microcontroller with some limit switches to be sure of raised and lowered positions. Not sure how far down that sort of route you'd consider.

Edit: actually think a microcontroller or micro PLC would be the way to go but using a winch powered by a stepper motor would be the simplest circuit to build and the programming would be simple enough, receive input and turn motor x amount of steps, receive second input an reverse motor x amount of steps.
    You could lift multiple strands, especially with a bungee type cord.

The suggested winch was one for a RC rock crawler type car, no idea how powerful or not it is. I suppose a car window motor would be easy enough sourced to play around with, and cheaper!

Microcontrollers, limit switches, micro PLC's, and stepper motors are all things I'll have to go research rather than look foolish-er-er :D

The bungee cord was just for the batt latch gates.

The idea of the wire lifter is to enable the farmer to make a "gate" anywhere in the fence.

The suggested winch was one for a RC rock crawler type car, no idea how powerful or not it is. I suppose a car window motor would be easy enough sourced to play around with, and cheaper!

Microcontrollers, limit switches, micro PLC's, and stepper motors are all things I'll have to go research rather than look foolish-er-er :D

The bungee cord was just for the batt latch gates.

The idea of the wire lifter is to enable the farmer to make a "gate" anywhere in the fence.

I said "especially" about the bungee cord but you could easily lift 2 standard strands handy enough either.

Wouldn't worry about looking foolish, I've melted my fair share of electronics over the years.

• Advertisement

Head
    > wrecked.

I've made a mistake in what I ordered https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154400487778

I've hooked them up and I believe they delay turning the power ON, not OFF?

But besides that, there's enough power going into this yoke to work the actuator but nothing coming out the other side?

Helpfully no instructions were provided but I've had wires in and out of every possible combination I think.

Got that relay working, just turns out it doesn't do what I thought it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

3 Power is "off".

The big question I’d have is what tune would you play. My suggestion would be Baa Baa Black Sheep

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    The big question I’d have is what tune would you play. My suggestion would be Baa Baa Black Sheep

The Monsanto song 😄

Got that relay working, just turns out it doesn't do what I thought it did.

The important question is can you now get it to do what you wanted?

The important question is can you now get it to do what you wanted?

I've rigged up an old 100W lightforce bulb (all I had :pac:) to see if it works and......

...........We haz success :D

I just have to turn down the seconds on on the 555 relay to stop another actuator burning out (and I thought ordering 12 was excessive) and we should be good to go for bodging a working prototype.

Where I'm at right now, the timer comes on as programmed and sends power to the 555, which lights up the bulb, after X number of seconds the 555 turns off the bulb, after one minute from start the timer turns off power to the 555 as programmed.

I love it when a plan comes together :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

I've rigged up an old 100W lightforce bulb (all I had :pac:) to see if it works and......

...........We haz success :D

I just have to turn down the seconds on on the 555 relay to stop another actuator burning out (and I thought ordering 12 was excessive) and we should be good to go for bodging a working prototype.

Where I'm at right now, the timer comes on as programmed and sends power to the 555, which lights up the bulb, after X number of seconds the 555 turns off the bulb, after one minute from start the timer turns off power to the 555 as programmed.

I love it when a plan comes together :cool:

Out of curiosity, why do you want the wire to go back down? Will the animals not need to go back out for water? Or do you have effectively paddocks setup with the plastic wire and each is served with water?

Edit - Congrats btw! I've been following the progress, great to see some home made ideas coming to solution!

rounders wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, why do you want the wire to go back down? Will the animals not need to go back out for water? Or do you have effectively paddocks setup with the plastic wire and each is served with water?

I like options. I'm confident stock will move so it doesn't have to go back down on the prototype. I want to keep stock moving forwards. I have 2 or 3km of water pipe bought over the last year so every paddock will have water via plug in drinkers served by gravity out of IBC tanks.

Which reminds me I have to clean out the tanks, one of my least favourite jobs ever.

Have the actuator hooked up now and the 555 timer turned right down so no more magic smoke.

Next step will be mock up and weather proofing.

Good work Herdquitter, glad to hear it. I'd say you've a much better understanding of electronics than you had a week ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

I was trying to make one of those batt latch devices when I worked away from the farm.. I bought the bits and tried it in theory just needed to make up a waterproof container.. I'll have a search through the purchases here later and see if Can find. Think they were around 30€

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Order Confirmed:DC12V Lock Tongue Luggage Electric Solenoid Assembly Automatic Door Drawer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372355160268

This and a digital timer.
    I wouldn't have much in the line to this tinkering or what's necessary to make a waterproof container.

A buddy if mine said you could get alliepxress to make up a covering and put parts together of you were going into production or wanted to do a patch to trial.
    It's not something I need anymore but if a lad every wanted to be away from the place for a couple of nites it might be off use. Will have a look at it again over the summer.

I might go with something like this for the audio, 4 wires, simple, works, need a bit of a beefier speaker and how to waterproof it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXKdOhX_K8k

Thinking ahead, automatic gate openers might be handy for main routes of travel on the farm. Ring a gate and have it open before ya get there!

I should have clarified, gate openers for field gates, not electric fence gates.

Thinking ahead, automatic gate openers might be handy for main routes of travel on the farm. Ring a gate and have it open before ya get there!

I should have clarified, gate openers for field gates, not electric fence gates.

You really don't want to be "ringing gates" if you have more than 1 or 2 + other devices like electric fence openers and fence switches, keeping all of the Sims alive will become a pain. A LoRa network would be the way to go (Not LoRa WAN), this way all devices can be centrally managed with no need for external providers, range is a few KM and can be extended with a mesh type network.

You really don't want to be "ringing gates" if you have more than 1 or 2 + other devices like electric fence openers and fence switches, keeping all of the Sims alive will become a pain. A LoRa network would be the way to go (Not LoRa WAN), this way all devices can be centrally managed with no need for external providers, range is a few KM and can be extended with a mesh type network.

Thanks, that's interesting, I'll check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

Anyone make their own scales using weigh cells and a display?
    I’m trying to fix up a scales here that the cable got chewed through (don’t ask!) thought it would just be a simple disconnect and re solder but there’s no life on the display after I re-connected the wires. Just wondering if it might be easier to start again with a new display? Or if anyone has any ideas where to buy the required parts?
    Thanks.

It's difficult to extract LoRa infor from LoRa WAN on YT. Currently pondering my Fresnel zone :pac: I will do the equation when I get time.

In the meantime...... To remotely open a gate, solenoid or linear actuator. A solenoid would be simpler I think, but I figure it'd need to be relatively powerful as a spring would need to keep the gate bolt shut.

But, a linear actuator might keep a gate "locked" better, as it's in a high tourist traffic area.

Anyone make their own scales using weigh cells and a display?
    I’m trying to fix up a scales here that the cable got chewed through (don’t ask!) thought it would just be a simple disconnect and re solder but there’s no life on the display after I re-connected the wires. Just wondering if it might be easier to start again with a new display? Or if anyone has any ideas where to buy the required parts?
    Thanks.

There should be some life in the display with or without the weigh cells connected.

I think a good few around here including myself built their scales using beam scales like this one:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=beam+scales&crid=2HY7ZPOHKLLNA&sprefix=beam+sca%2Caps%2C134&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_8
    I see it cheaper on pigs back at the moment:
    https://www.pigsback.com/en-ie/offer/453418/monster-group-bv

• Advertisement

It's difficult to extract LoRa infor from LoRa WAN on YT. Currently pondering my Fresnel zone :pac: I will do the equation when I get time.

I suspect you are right, the whole LoRa thing is being pushed like most technologies these days as a cloud service but it certainly does not need to be.
    I'm using Arduino and ESP32 devices for my LoRa network.

Arduino based useful for battery powered nodes:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stemedu-Arduino-ATmega328P-3-7-12V-Antenna/dp/B07SMZPNR7/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=stemedu+lora&qid=1621316659&sr=8-1

ESP32 based useful for USB powered nodes:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/MakerHawk-Development-Bluetooth-0-96inch-Display/dp/B076T28KWG/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=lora&qid=1621316722&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExQjk4TkxEU05CQ1pVJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDkxOTUzMzY1UFFWQlpPMVVEMyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODc1MTk0MU9HMUREU0FFOFQ3USZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

It might sound a bit advanced, but these boards are ready to go, they only need to be connected to a sensor and or actuator. All of the software to be loaded on them can be got from mysensors.org as well as detailed instructions for connecting each type of sensor/actuator.

Then for management they can connect to a raspberry pi (or any other computer) running automation software. I use home assistant https://www.home-assistant.io/

If you are still interested at this stage :D it will actually make all of your other projects simpler as remote control, scheduling and timers can all be set in software and controlled from an app on your phone.

In the meantime...... To remotely open a gate, solenoid or linear actuator. A solenoid would be simpler I think, but I figure it'd need to be relatively powerful as a spring would need to keep the gate bolt shut.

But, a linear actuator might keep a gate "locked" better, as it's in a high tourist traffic area.

Is it just an automatic locking/unlocking mechanism you want? or a full gate opener?

Advertisement