Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Lads working themselves up into a fuss on a pisstake thread on an anonymous internet forum. I wouldn't worry about things so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

greenttc wrote: »
    This makes me sad. I love that people are using all types of Irish names for their children whether they speak Irish or not. It is still our heritage and our history (ancient history even) so why not keep it alive instead of lost forever? In an age where we are thankfully more multicultural it is nice to see that some Irishness is proudly maintained in the names of our children to add to the landscape of diversity we live in. You have no idea if people have an interest in iIish history or ancient culture, I do, did you know that? Does that mean its okay for me to call my child an Irish name?

I met a Siobhan in New Zealand, she was Maori tour guide. She had zero connection to Ireland in anyway, she just said her mam came across it and loved it.

Lads working themselves up into a fuss on a pisstake thread on an anonymous internet forum. I wouldn't worry about things so much.

Fair enough, I'm not too concerned, but you get the same sneery attitude in the real world too. I'd say some of the sneering here is fairly real though!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

greenttc wrote: »
    This makes me sad. I love that people are using all types of Irish names for their children whether they speak Irish or not. It is still our heritage and our history (ancient history even) so why not keep it alive instead of lost forever? In an age where we are thankfully more multicultural it is nice to see that some Irishness is proudly maintained in the names of our children to add to the landscape of diversity we live in. You have no idea if people have an interest in iIish history or ancient culture, I do, did you know that? Does that mean its okay for me to call my child an Irish name?

Its called 'Cultural Cringe' or in other words - ethnic self loathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Nothing wrong with that name. Lee-sha. I know a girl with that name and never once thought there was anything unusual about it. Not sure why people get their backs up when people choose to use the correct Irish spelling for Irish names. I would imagine it's some form of insecurity over their own shortcomings in the language.

I was emailing a customer Caoilfhionn... when I met her it was farely awkward when I called her Quale finn....

Kee-lin. I’ll never leave that one down and I’m good with names

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Daveno

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Laoibhaise
    It's actually Labhaoise.
    Rev. Patrick Woulfe gives two derivations for it: an Irish form of Louisa, & a feminine version of Alabhaois (Aloysius).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

My daughter's name is Aoibhín? Is this too fancy or over the top in your eyes?

I'm a fluent speaker and have a huge interest in our history, culture and language. Even if I wasn't I would still find that quite a sad statement.

Beautiful name.

Beautiful name.

Thank you. It gave me great pleasure to tell my toff aunt, who is obsessed with the royal family, how to spell her name. She asked me why I couldn't spell it the normal, English way. There was no point in even responding to her.

L-M wrote: »
    I was emailing a customer Caoilfhionn... when I met her it was farely awkward when I called her Quale finn....

Kee-lin. I’ll never leave that one down and I’m good with names

The Anglicised version of the name, Keelan, has become quite popular, but it has no real meaning. The Irish version means the thin, fair one, which is lovely but it does look tricky when written down.

Lots of place names in Ireland were translated without any thought by the Brits and the meaning of the original Irish names have been lost which is a real shame. Translations by Brian Friel deals with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I knew a Keelan on our street when we were kids, or could have been spelt Kealan

It was a boy, never heard of it before then

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DD1518

Friend named his 4 yo Wyatt even the priest looked horrified.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

DD1518 wrote: »

Wyatt is a great name.

The tide is turning…

The Anglicised version of the name, Keelan, has become quite popular, but it has no real meaning. The Irish version means the thin, fair one, which is lovely but it does look tricky when written down.

Lots of place names in Ireland were translated without any thought by the Brits and the meaning of the original Irish names have been lost which is a real shame. Translations by Brian Friel deals with this.

The Shankill Road...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

DD1518 wrote: »

Was the kid nameless up until their 4th birthday? Or did they decide to rename they kid when they turned 4?

:confused:

The Shankill Road...

The Old Church Rd. But the English version may be more apt!!

A friend is aware of a little D'Kodagh running around Finglas somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

It's apparently fairly common in India for parents to name their children Hitler, because they view Hitler as a strong leader and not as a genocidal monster, and Hitler is associated with the swastika which is a holy symbol in India.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Darryl-Ann.

You can’t just tack -Ann onto a blatantly male name to make it feminine. Darryl isn’t even nice on a grown man, let alone a newborn baby girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Vermese.
    Abanna.
    Lusha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Jaxon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Make your mind up, a child is either a girl or a boy, Daryl Anne is just confusing.
    99 per cent of the time people use one word to talk to someone eg hey Joe, hello Mary.
    Having 2names of different genders is pointless
    and confusing to people.
    It will make life hard when the child go, s to school unless she just tells friends my name is anne

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Timfy

Daryl is a unisex name

Daryl Hannah - Actress
    Daryl Murphy - Footballer

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

I really like Irish names, but I heard a guy roaring 'Uinseann', the Irish for Vincent, across a playground over the weekend and I have to admit that it didn't sound nice. There are some beautiful Irish names, but that just sounds harsh and guttural.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Hannah
    Murphy
    Daryl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Logan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭GoatBoy74

Wyanetta

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭GoatBoy74

GoatBoy74 wrote: »
    Wyanetta

I can’t be arsed checking spelling - Turlock .

Turlough. Plenty of men in their 50s/60s in Ireland with that name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Turlough or Turlach
    a beautiful Irish name

Advertisement