Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

had the 1st viewing on my house Saturday . 4 viewers no offers . Starting to get anxious .

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

had the 1st viewing on my house Saturday . 4 viewers no offers . Starting to get anxious .

I wouldn’t get anxious yet.

I have viewed the same house 3 times over last 5 weeks and have yet to make an offer. And there’s no other offer in either.

It’s a bit like a slow bicycle race

Will Yam wrote: »
    I wouldn’t get anxious yet.

I have viewed the same house 3 times over last 5 weeks and have yet to make an offer. And there’s no other offer in either.

It’s a bit like a slow bicycle race

Thanks . First time selling . And hopefully it will be my last time to have to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Our saga continues. After a buyer went sale agreed before lockdown and strung us along only to change their minds after it, went sale agreed with a new buyer after re-advertising etc. On course to an end of August close with a more and more impatient seller on the other side where we're looking to buy ourselves.

Now it seems our buyer needs some documentation that they won't get till some stage in September in order to draw down with their bank and our mortgage will probably need to be re-done entirely as it runs out around the same time. Putting an eye back on the lockdown scenarios as schools return now, just our luck that'll be the next thing to hit us.

We soldier onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Do people bid on many multiple properties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I've bidded on four in past two months, one I went sale agreed on but I pulled out as issues were found by solicitor. Two I was outbidded on. Bidding on one at the moment, highest bidder for the past two weeks, they have more viewings this week but they said decision should be made by next week.

I'm still viewing houses and will bid if I see something I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Having a frustrating wait from the AIB for my letter
    Of loan offer

I have rang each day for an update and all I'm getting
    Is that they are swamped busy with covid based applications

I'm worried I ll delay the sale on my end as a result

Anybody else the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭goingagain

Just to update, we got a quote of less than half of our original solicitor fees from a recommended solicitor that I have worked with in the last. So we’re back on budget and happy out.

People we’re buying from want a long close, so the plan is to sign contracts in September with closing date of January. They are downsizing and want a last Christmas in their house

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Regarding D.D what info do the bank request and when? I'm not and never been on covid scheme.

I assume its just salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

Delighted to say we have finally closed on our house purchase today!

We might hold the record for longest negotiation process here, we started negotiating with the seller in January 2019…..!

Unusual situation though as we have bought the house that we were already living in from the landlord. In one sense it was really easy as there was no rush for us to move as we were already here anyway, also having lived in the house for years we knew every nook and cranny, damp spot and draught so could use all of that to haggle over what a fair price was.

On the other hand there was no rush for the landlord as we were paying rent every month until we bought it, so that all contributed to the delays. Also the fact that the landlord lives abroad didn’t make it any quicker.

All in all we are very happy with price we got, and moving is going to be pretty easy…..:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

CiboC wrote: »
    Delighted to say we have finally closed on our house purchase today!

We might hold the record for longest negotiation process here, we started negotiating with the seller in January 2019…..!

Unusual situation though as we have bought the house that we were already living in from the landlord. In one sense it was really easy as there was no rush for us to move as we were already here anyway, also having lived in the house for years we knew every nook and cranny, damp spot and draught so could use all of that to haggle over what a fair price was.

On the other hand there was no rush for the landlord as we were paying rent every month until we bought it, so that all contributed to the delays. Also the fact that the landlord lives abroad didn’t make it any quicker.

All in all we are very happy with price we got, and moving is going to be pretty easy…..:)

The first thing I would do in that scenario is put a hole in the wall, now that you can, just for the ****s and giggles.

Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Currently sale agreed at the moment, toying with both aib and boi, just looking for confirmation - if we went with BOI for 1 year fixed rate, borrowing 200k (FTB with 10% deposit) would we be absolutely bonkers to switch mortgages to AIB after the 1st year, is this possible?
    A friend says it would be crazy as your mortgage needs to be paid in full plus the interest term (i.e. roughly 300k) to BOI before you can switch to another bank?

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Currently sale agreed at the moment, toying with both aib and boi, just looking for confirmation - if we went with BOI for 1 year fixed rate, borrowing 200k (FTB with 10% deposit) would we be absolutely bonkers to switch mortgages to AIB after the 1st year, is this possible?
    A friend says it would be crazy as your mortgage needs to be paid in full plus the interest term (i.e. roughly 300k) to BOI before you can switch to another bank?

Your friend is talking baloney. A mortgage can be switched once a fixed period ends, and it can be switched during a fixed period too if you’re willing to pay the penalty. The costs in switching apart from any penalty fees - eg if you’re getting a cash back offer make sure it isn’t longer than the fixed rate for example for clawback if you change - will be solicitor and valuation, again. Doing it after 1 year is probably unusual but whatever you like... the main reasons people switch is the market has brought down interest rates and/or your LTV has changed such you can access new more preferential rates.

Some banks will pay a certain amount, eg €1,500 to you to cover the cost of switching.

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Your friend is talking baloney. A mortgage can be switched once a fixed period ends, and it can be switched during a fixed period too if you’re willing to pay the penalty. The costs in switching apart from any penalty fees - eg if you’re getting a cash back offer make sure it isn’t longer than the fixed rate for example for clawback if you change - will be solicitor and valuation, again. Doing it after 1 year is probably unusual but whatever you like... the main reasons people switch is the market has brought down interest rates and/or your LTV has changed such you can access new more preferential rates.

Some banks will pay a certain amount, eg €1,500 to you to cover the cost of switching.

She works in mortgage vulture funds so she rightly scared me with this!
    Our plan is to go with BOI for the cashback offer and we have discussed with the boi advisor, they said that there would be no clawback of the cashback.

if we do steam roll into a recession though, and house prices drop, it would be silly to switch next year then after valuation, am i correct?

She works in mortgage vulture funds so she rightly scared me with this!
    Our plan is to go with BOI for the cashback offer and we have discussed with the boi advisor, they said that there would be no clawback of the cashback.

if we do steam roll into a recession though, and house prices drop, it would be silly to switch next year then after valuation, am i correct?

Well your LTV currently is 90% so if the house price cratered I doubt you’d be getting a favourable mortgage offer at a higher LTV. Then again who knows what will happen. Go with the best option and see where the market is when you’re free of obligations to the bank (that are only really breakage fees)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

What happens if bank valuer values noise higher than sale price

• Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What happens if bank valuer values noise higher than sale price

Once it's in the same ball park nothing.

If the valuation is greatly in excess of the sale price there will likely be tax consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Of loan offer

Anybody else the same?

Chronic delays, I'm nearly waiting a month. They are well aware and sending hold over mails through the portal to keep me from ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 _leona_

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Of loan offer

Anybody else the same?

We were the same, went sale agreed on the 13th of July. I rang them last week to let them know the vendors were getting impatient and I didn't want the house to fall through. The loan offer was thankfully issued Monday. They seem to be swamped with applications at the min, I definitely found calling them was more effective than using the App messaging service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

We had a meeting with a mortgage adviser in AIB. He said they didn't have the staff available to deal with applications through the app as they were pulled over on other covid related work. He said that it would be much quicker to apply through the AIB branch.

• Advertisement

If a bank is organising letter of offer for a specific house, are you able to back out and go with a different bank?

Another open viewing on my place Saturday. Hopefully get a few through the door

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If a bank is organising letter of offer for a specific house, are you able to back out and go with a different bank?

Think so, it was something our solicitor mentioned to us yesterday as we're only a 2 year fixed, she said maybe to try get a 3 year fixed elsewhere. Unfortunately as we're getting an exemption it's pointless for us to apply elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

Think so, it was something our solicitor mentioned to us yesterday as we're only a 2 year fixed, she said maybe to try get a 3 year fixed elsewhere. Unfortunately as we're getting an exemption it's pointless for us to apply elsewhere.

What bank are you currently getting an exemption with? I thought none were doing them

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Thanks . First time selling . And hopefully it will be my last time to have to do it.

House I’ve been viewing for 5 weeks got 3 bids in 17 hours.

96% of asking price. I’d say it will go higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Another open viewing on my place Saturday. Hopefully get a few through the door

I’ve been viewing for 2 years it always takes the second viewing before I make a decision . I’ve bid on lots

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Jasna1982 wrote: »
    What bank are you currently getting an exemption with? I thought none were doing them

We're AIP since the end of Feb. Just at the final steps now.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Mine went for sale very end of July. So far 3 viewing sessions and 3 bids in, with the last one going a little over asking price. Two more viewing slots this week, lets see how that goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

We're AIP since the end of Feb. Just at the final steps now.

Have you had to re-submit any docs yet? I ask as AIP would usually be up now, we've ours since March (i.e. nearly 6 months also)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Yes - I was bidding on three properties at the same time two weeks ago. Two I was outbid on. Secured one but recent engineers report as told me unless we have 60k to fix work to the house (we don’t) or get a reduction in price (they won’t) to walk away. So we walked away.

Back to viewings next week.

Tried to view a house this week but couldn’t get out of work to see it. I was told they expect to get asking at the viewing and unlikely to hold a second viewing. They emailed me day after viewing to say asking was offered and it’s now off the market.

Cork auctioneers don’t seem as flexible with viewings outside of office hours. I wish auctioneers would go back to recording videos of houses.

Advertisement