Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2019

Options
  • 04-05-2019 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty low key in Kilkenny as usual, one of the most apolitical parts of Ireland.
    Lot of cracked pots were elected last time in the form of SF and Breda Gardner, hopefully a good clear out coming in a few weeks of surely one of the worst council chambers in a long time. I don’t see that much anger with the government out there despite the efforts of the perpetually outraged.
    Saying that, I really like Steph Hanlon PBP as young educated candidate. Deserves a chance, certainly streets ahead of the SF dregs after the same votes.
    Down south, Melissa O’Neill in ferrybank is allegedly running in kilkenny and Waterford- she’s the drunken yob attacking her neighbors in various YouTube videos...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Hopefully there will be a good clean out in a couple of weeks. Too many coasting on name now. Its criminal that the St. John's Parish doesn't have a Councillor [a Constituency Office doesn't count]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Careful what you wish for; you'll have Eugene & Luke in St. Johns Parish depending how the votes go.

Not sure if a Yes or No to the Mosque by ABP would benefit or damage eithers campaign; inevitably they'll spin it in a positive light for them if it's a a No that it's political interference or some such......

Was a bit shocked that the Druid is actually running; thought it was a belated April Fools til 12 Noon on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Ah yes, the Druid is quite the believer in the democratic process, isn't he?!

Eugene McGuinness a live outsider in the city if dissatisfaction over the mosque translates into votes?

Depressing to see Martin Brett and John Coonan back after they took their redundancy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mankbag wrote: »
    Ah yes, the Druid is quite the believer in the democratic process, isn't he?!

Eugene McGuinness a live outsider in the city if dissatisfaction over the mosque translates into votes?

Depressing to see Martin Brett and John Coonan back after they took their redundancy money.

The Mosque is irrelevant to most people, just hysteria whipped up over nothing. It’ll be satisfying to see the Druid fall on his arse yet again.
    Agree about the redundancy, should only be on until basis of not running again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

It is sad to see a person like Pat O Neill going for the local elections he is not even running in his own area this time, leave it to the younger generation I say.

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    The Mosque is irrelevant to most people, just hysteria whipped up over nothing. .

The area is already a traffic nightmare [Nowlan Park, O'Loughlin Gaels club, St. Kieran's Cemetery, Aldis and the Industrial Estate, New Park shopping Centre and Lakeside, Linntown Hall and Bishop Birch Place all in that area] adding the mosque and their 2,000 person apartment complex [now under the guise of a hotel] is hardly hysteria whipped up over nothing.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The area is already a traffic nightmare [Nowlan Park, O'Loughlin Gaels club, St. Kieran's Cemetery, Aldis and the Industrial Estate, New Park shopping Centre and Lakeside, Linntown Hall and Bishop Birch Place all in that area] adding the mosque and their 2,000 person apartment complex [now under the guise of a hotel] is hardly hysteria whipped up over nothing.

"...and their 2,000 person apartment complex [now under the guise of a hotel] is hardly hysteria whipped up over nothing."

2,000? Is that all? I thought for the 1 Million Migrants (and apparently "Migrants" now means Muslims/Sallow Skinned/Tanned/Black only..) being brought in to swamp/sink the country and take over by 2040 would mean it's for 250,000 no?

Dayr taken ar jobz/women/children/houses do.....

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    "...and their 2,000 person apartment complex [now under the guise of a hotel] is hardly hysteria whipped up over nothing."

2,000? Is that all? I thought for the 1 Million Migrants (and apparently "Migrants" now means Muslims/Sallow Skinned/Tanned/Black only..) being brought in to swamp/sink the country and take over by 2040 would mean it's for 250,000 no?

Dayr taken ar jobz/women/children/houses do.....

Thank You for adding absolutely nothing of value here.

Eugene McGuinness was a no show on this mornings KCLR Live Debate; "prior engagement".

He's been cowardly; on his social media recently indicating he's going on but backs out last minute?

And he wants votes?

Eugene McGuinness was a no show on this mornings KCLR Live Debate; "prior engagement".

He's been cowardly; on his social media recently indicating he's going on but backs out last minute?

And he wants votes?

Has a jeep and trailer going around town- big yellow signage- "I spoke up when others stood silent..." parked up by the Hebron road beside the proposed Mosque area. He really is a shameless charlaton.
    Clearly the brother is bankrolling his campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Has a jeep and trailer going around town- big yellow signage- "I spoke up when others stood silent..." parked up by the Hebron road beside the proposed Mosque area. He really is a shameless charlaton.

I'm not sure about the last bit. They don't get on at all and haven't for years.

And he wants votes?

John and Andrew are the same way. Notice how John only mouths of when he thinks he's politically safe? Everything else he goes into hiding.

The fact that John and Andrew keep getting elected proves there's a cult of personality going on in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Doubt it, afaik they do not talk to each other at all.

1984baby wrote: »

Yes because Eugene ran for the Council last time as well. He thought he would take votes away from his precious Andrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

1984baby wrote: »

Correct. Just goes to show you get people mouthing off on here when they actually know f**k all.

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Correct. Just goes to show you get people mouthing off on here when they actually know f**k all.

Well why don’t you enlighten us all then? Far as I’m concerned all Mcguinness’s are useless populist idiots playing to the dimmest gallery possible in Kilkenny. I don’t see any difference. The father had a nice Junior ministry going on but couldn’t last more than a few months without screwing it up, such is the political ineptitude.

Well if the McGuinness clan/dynasty are indeed useless populist idiots (and John seems to want to be FF when it suits him but won't do a Jackie Healy-Rae on it just in case it might cost him his seat or a few votes; Andrew seems to hunt with the hare and run with the hounds; his stance on Mosque was nauseating; he continues to deny he organised that meeting which was unnecessary; he uses word "facilitated"; John was present on the night) then Eugene's playing to a similar gallery of idiots.

Well if the McGuinness clan/dynasty are indeed useless populist idiots (and John seems to want to be FF when it suits him but won't do a Jackie Healy-Rae on it just in case it might cost him his seat or a few votes; Andrew seems to hunt with the hare and run with the hounds; his stance on Mosque was nauseating; he continues to deny he organised that meeting which was unnecessary; he uses word "facilitated"; John was present on the night) then Eugene's playing to a similar gallery of idiots.

That’s exactly what I mean- they’ll take whatever position they think the eternally dim will lap up and translate into votes. The Eugene lad is following the exact same script.
    Mcguinness has been the pointless “opposer” for over a decade- even when FF were at their most destructive he was pretending to oppose (his own party) locally but voted with them in Leinster house. How so many thousands of voters see this as a credible position blows my mind and highlights how much the electorate are to blame for the woeful politicians we must endure here

That meeting was a disgusting episode, a real nasty low. The Mcguinness’s were fully involved in it, stirred the pot but then backed away once the controversy blew up.

That meeting was a disgusting episode, a real nasty low. The Mcguinness’s were fully involved in it, stirred the pot but then backed away once the controversy blew up.

The fact that Andrew was caught on camera a day or two later at the current mosque on the Freshford Road bent the knee to the Iman and pledged his support should tell you how two faced they are [or atleast John and his Mini-Me are]

John and his Mini-Me are great reason for term limits.

• Advertisement

That’s exactly what I mean- they’ll take whatever position they think the eternally dim will lap up and translate into votes. The Eugene lad is following the exact same script.
    Mcguinness has been the pointless “opposer” for over a decade- even when FF were at their most destructive he was pretending to oppose (his own party) locally but voted with them in Leinster house. How so many thousands of voters see this as a credible position blows my mind and highlights how much the electorate are to blame for the woeful politicians we must endure here

I've always noticed that John loves to come down here and run his mouth on KCLR and to the People that he's "fighting for the people." and such nonsense, but sits in Leinster House all quiet while his own party and the current Govt destroy the livelihood of the people he claims to be fighting for. He should have been sent home years ago.

I've always noticed that John loves to come down here and run his mouth on KCLR and to the People that he's "fighting for the people." and such nonsense, but sits in Leinster House all quiet while his own party and the current Govt destroy the livelihood of the people he claims to be fighting for. He should have been sent home years ago.

It’s his stock and trade. Unfortunately so many people can’t see through the hypocrisy and ineffectiveness of his populism hence he’s a poll topper, speaking from both sides of his arse. This is someone that was calling from an election in the middle of the brexit crisis after all

It’s his stock and trade. Unfortunately so many people can’t see through the hypocrisy and ineffectiveness of his populism hence he’s a poll topper, speaking from both sides of his arse. This is someone that was calling from an election in the middle of the brexit crisis after all

That's just a scam to deflect from his own party protecting Fg throughout all these scandals. He's desperately trying to cling to " We really are the opposition." guise.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

That's just a scam to deflect from his own party protecting Fg throughout all these scandals. He's desperately trying to cling to " We really are the opposition." guise.

John barely comes across as FF, his posters have always done their best to hide that he is FF compared to every other FF running.

Cabaal wrote: »
    John barely comes across as FF, his posters have always done their best to hide that he is FF compared to every other FF running.

Then he should just leave the party already if he's that desperate to hide his association with them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Then he should just leave the party already if he's that desperate to hide his association with them.

He knows he can get away with being a member of FF but acting like an independent, it suits FF I guess because he wins them votes.

I don't get it personally, you are either in a party or not. If you don't like a party or its policy's then leave it.

We've had a few refs where he also went against the party in a public manner as well.

Looking through a certain "Independent" Co. Cllrs. personal & political page; it's like they subscribe to every single conspiracy theory going......

Same individual is running in Tramore-West Waterford too.

Problem for other candidates is because of her somewhat controversial or indeed bat s**t crazy views, she'll romp home in Piltown/South Kilkenny and perhaps Tramore/West Waterford also.

Should she be successful in both she will have to nominate a substitute in one of the districts; shouldn't voters be informed of this in advance to aid their decision making?

Looking through a certain "Independent" Co. Cllrs. personal & political page; it's like they subscribe to every single conspiracy theory going......

Problem for other candidates is because of her somewhat controversial or indeed bat s**t crazy views, she'll romp home in Piltown/South Kilkenny and perhaps Tramore/West Waterford also.

Should she be successful in both she will have to nominate a substitute in one of the districts; shouldn't voters be informed of this in advance to aid their decision making?

Is that the mellissa O’NEILL one? Clearly all the alcohol has fried whatever brain cell she initially may have had coupled with way too much time on her hands
    I sincerely hope the voters of south Kilkenny have some sense this time and jettison this loon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Is that the mellissa O’NEILL one? Clearly all the alcohol has fried whatever brain cell she initially may have had coupled with way too much time on her hands
    I sincerely hope the voters of south Kilkenny have some sense this time and jettison this loon

She won't get much votes in the Waterford election. (Ferrybank, tramore and parts of rural east Waterford). Maybe some in ferrybank but Tramore being the biggest population with 11,000 people will provide the majority of councillors). She is a loon and having looked at the Kilkenny journal recently there seems to be a lot of them running for the Kilkenny council.

• Advertisement

She won't get much votes in the Waterford election. (Ferrybank, tramore and parts of rural east Waterford). Maybe some in ferrybank but Tramore being the biggest population with 11,000 people will provide the majority of councillors). She is a loon and having looked at the Kilkenny journal recently there seems to be a lot of them running for the Kilkenny council.

Dreadful fruit cake. And dangerous to boot. Kilkenny council seems to be a lightning rod for them currently

Advertisement