Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College Green Plaza -- public consultation open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was just thinking walking up from college green to O'Connell street, given the current trend for Islamic terrorist truck rampages through pedestrians, now might be the time for total separation of pedestrians from traffic through railings/bollards. Would put an end to your roaming cyclist also

Would work for buses too freeing up the bus lanes from vehicles parking in them. One of the things you notice around parts of dublin is the total lack of enforcement of pedestrian spaces, cars and vans thrown up on pavements everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Even with the massive cycle lane, cyclists are still insisting in on using the traffic lane heading to Westmoorland and dangerously squeezing up the side of moving buses. . Usually to mount the curb half way and try to cross over the Trinity side of the street.

What is needed is a traffic warden with a ticket book to start disciplining idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭buffalo

brokenarms wrote: »
    What is needed is a traffic warden with a ticket book to start disciplining idiots.

What's the offence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

buffalo wrote: »
    What's the offence?

I dont know yet.

Im thinking hard about it.

The best I can come up with right now is riding on the footpath. :pac:

Still. Seriously.

It's lethally dangerous.

Maybe disallowing the cycles in that lane would be a suggestion. As it turns left across a pedestrian crossing. The drivers of large vehicles have a hard enough time safely passing the area. Its not the driver who will suffer if it all goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Don't they normally give out parking tickets? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭StreetLight

It actually is a cycle lane. I was right.

I saw it today and its open to cycle traffic.

There was a massive puddle in that cycle lane from all the rain today, forcing cyclists back out into the general traffic/Luas lane. I hope that can be sorted sharpish.

Deedsie wrote: »
    They give parking tickets to people parked in legal parking spaces but who either don't have a parking permit or it has expired. And rightly so. I would much prefer if they focused on lazy, entitled ****s who park their vehicles on double yellow lines or cycle lanes or bus lanes etc etc

Same could be said for city clampers. All the do is check if your ticket is expired in a designated spot, and dont go for the cars and vans blocking up the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

It's lethally dangerous.

So are peanuts and crossing the road potentially.

Deedsie wrote: »
    They give parking tickets to people parked in legal parking spaces but who either don't have a parking permit or it has expired. And rightly so. I would much prefer if they focused on lazy, entitled ****s who park their vehicles on double yellow lines or cycle lanes or bus lanes etc etc
    So no impact on this then.
    Even with the massive cycle lane, cyclists are still insisting in on using the traffic lane heading to Westmoorland and dangerously squeezing up the side of moving buses. . Usually to mount the curb half way and try to cross over the Trinity side of the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's lethally dangerous.
    How many people have died?
    If it's lethal and all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

There was a massive puddle in that cycle lane from all the rain today, forcing cyclists back out into the general traffic/Luas lane. I hope that can be sorted sharpish.

Why can't cyclists go through puddles?

If you choose to cycle in wet weather then getting wet is part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

prinzeugen wrote: »

Have you ever cycled? You wouldn't need to ask that question if you had any experience of it. I'll give you a hint: stability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Pooling water is generally a sign of poor design. With a new development like this, there is no excuse for not putting in decent drainage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

There could be a pot hole underneath it - how is someone supposed to know if there isn't?
    Pooling water is generally a sign of poor design. With a new development like this, there is no excuse for not putting in decent drainage.

I'm open to correction, but the puddle is before the newly laid section of cycle track and road, but on a section that has the yellow bollards, but which has not been resurfaced.

How many people have died?
    If it's lethal and all?
    What sort of ridicules and foolish question is that?

Are you blind to all the adverts and press the RSA have shown about restricted view .

Same reasons that some drivers avoid them. Risk to control and avoiding whatever is hidden by the pool of water.

Getting wet is fine, but puddles tend to form in and around potholes, and cycling through an unexpected pothole is likely to result in damage to the bike and/or injury to the cyclist. And it's impossible to tell which puddles have potholes (or are hiding other obstacles) and which don't, so all puddles need to be avoided.

Make sense?

Even wet metal gratings or manhole covers need to be carefully avoided when you're cycling, a puddle is just a landmine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭trellheim

Having cycled southbound for the first time since the new layout opened, from D'Olier to Nassau st round trinity and onto Merrion SQ all I can say is that someone is going to get killed by tramlining , and tis going to be sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SfkFI22.gif

6a00df351e888f883401156f833adc970c-600wi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

trellheim wrote: »
    Having cycled southbound for the first time since the new layout opened, from D'Olier to Nassau st round trinity and onto Merrion SQ all I can say is that someone is going to get killed by tramlining , and tis going to be sooner rather than later.

Well it's for trams and in any case, you're in an area where there is heavy pedestrian traffic - anywhere between O'Connell Street and Grafton Street is certainly no place for cyclists!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

buffalo wrote: »
    Getting wet is fine, but puddles tend to form in and around potholes, and cycling through an unexpected pothole is likely to result in damage to the bike and/or injury to the cyclist. And it's impossible to tell which puddles have potholes (or are hiding other obstacles) and which don't, so all puddles need to be avoided.

Make sense?

Why don't you walk and use public transport - that's what I do!

Middle Man wrote: »
    Well it's for trams and in any case, you're in an area where there is heavy pedestrian traffic - anywhere between O'Connell Street and Grafton Street is certainly no place for cyclists!
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Why don't you walk and use public transport - that's what I do!

Cut out the trolling. Stay on topic -- part of that topic is not banning cyclists from the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

"Luas utility boxes that weren't included in the plans for Dublin's new €10 million plaza have been installed on Dame Street"

How dare TII for not adhering to a design for the plaza that hasn't even been finalised?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/luas-utility-boxes-cause-consternation-for-planners-of-10-million-plaza-1.3173799

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

So it's five mismatched tall boxes in the middle of the plaza, and another set on the O'Connell bridge crossing? :eek: Great work indeed.
    Is the poxy looking tarmac around them going to stay there until the plaza goes ahead? Genuine question.

stop wrote: »
    "Luas utility boxes that weren't included in the plans for Dublin's new €10 million plaza have been installed on Dame Street"
    They are brutal looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Valid point.

One of the significant issues which is becoming clearer by the day in the Grafton St/College Green/Westmoreland St area is the huge increase in Risk to both Pedestrians and Cyclists which will suddenly appear once LUAS BXD operations begin.

I really cannot see how Dublin City Council can progress this plan much further without conceeding that Pedestrian Barriers will be required in several locations in this area.

In communicatons I have had with DCC,they strongly declare that such Barriers do not form part of their strategy for Dublin City Centre....I suggest this will have to change after the first fatalities.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

stop wrote: »

How dare TII for not adhering to a design for the plaza that hasn't even been finalised?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/luas-utility-boxes-cause-consternation-for-planners-of-10-million-plaza-1.3173799

This bit: "Luas utility boxes that weren't included in the plans for Dublin's new €10 million plaza have been installed on Dame Street" is wrong:

424026.PNG

424027.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

That's still four orderly boxes of the same size, not a mess of mismatched eight (there's actually eight in the video if you look closely)...
    Can they not accommodate them underground, I believe that it's a popular solution, they only come up when needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

They're just like your average traffic lights whats the big deal also if the Irish Times didn't point it out I or not many other would have noticed them

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stephen15 wrote: »
    They're just like your average traffic lights whats the big deal also if the Irish Times didn't point it out I or not many other would have noticed them

No, I had noticed them and I do think it is extremely poor. It just goes to show what little regard there is for the pedestrians, stick boxes here and there where ever they like. I really see no excuse for it, no reason at all that these couldn't go underground at key locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,437 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I agree they're an eyesore, but they're the sort of thing you'd never have noticed if you hadn't been shown them.

For bonus point, can anyone name the other place in Dublin that they appear. There's been 8 of them in a very prominent location for a few years now that I imagine most people don't even bat an eyelid at.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I agree they're an eyesore, but they're the sort of thing you'd never have noticed if you hadn't been shown them.

For bonus point, can anyone name the other place in Dublin that they appear. There's been 8 of them in a very prominent location for a few years now that I imagine most people don't even bat an eyelid at.

I disagree, I've noticed for years that Dublin City Center streets are destroyed with way too many bus stops, ESB boxes, road traffic light boxes, etc.

There are long threads about this on other forums going back years.

Most of these can be hidden away underground with modern technology. There really is no excuse for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭StreetLight

bk wrote: »
    I really see no excuse for it, no reason at all that these couldn't go underground at key locations.

Yes, there is an excuse. They provide ventilation/heat dissipation for the electric/electronic workings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The Citadis system appears to require the odd street cab.

Rotterdam

KaL7wRR.png

5IZPezn.png

IfyLwb8.png

Adelaide

2f9qZJI.png

iaZBhZN.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I disagree, I've noticed for years that Dublin City Center streets are destroyed with way too many bus stops, ESB boxes, road traffic light boxes, etc.

There are long threads about this on other forums going back years.

Most of these can be hidden away underground with modern technology. There really is no excuse for it.

I'd love to see what an underground bus stop looks like :rolleyes:

But seriously we need bus stops because we can't just flag down buses anywhere

• Advertisement

SPDUB wrote: »
    I'd love to see what an underground bus stop looks like :rolleyes:

But seriously we need bus stops because we can't just flag down buses anywhere

Of course we need bus stops, what we don't need is the dozen or so bus stops within 5 meters of each other for various companies on Westmoreland St for instance.

westmorelandstq.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

From what I've seen the pedestrian traffic light placement on college green/westmoreland street is awful, someone tried to be clever and made a balls of it.

That stop is an extreme example.

Frankly, that stop should never have had long distance services added to it - it was already a busy Dublin Bus stop. Such services need locations where they can lay over for longer without impacting on other services (such as those used by Citylink and Dublin Coach).

It's an accident waiting to happen.

The rollout of the new NTA bus stops will address the issue of multiple operator bus stops over the coming years - but it will be a very gradual process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Of course we need bus stops, what we don't need is the dozen or so bus stops within 5 meters of each other for various companies on Westmoreland St for instance.

Your picture was blowing out the forum for me so I had to block it though I saved it before that to look at it .

As to the content of the picture well if you are going to allow competition in bus services then there should be bus stops provided by the regulator in busy locations so that every company doesn't have their own and the pavement is crowded out

That to me is a failure of regulation since it should have been anticipated in locations like that

As I posted in my previous post the NTA is in the process of rolling out new standardised multi-operator single bus stops.

This is currently happening in Cork and will roll out across the entire country.

Given the sheer volume of stops (approximately 5,000 in Dublin alone), expecting that to happen quickly is probably expecting a bit much.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    As I posted in my previous post the NTA is in the process of rolling out new standardised multi-operator single bus stops.

This is currently happening in Cork and will roll out across the entire country.

Given the sheer volume of stops (approximately 5,000 in Dublin alone), expecting that to happen quickly is probably expecting a bit much.

In fairness, once they start rolling out in Dublin, they ought to start with some of the high visibility areas like Westmoreland.

Imm will that work..
    Those private guys hang out in stops alot trying to get as many fairs as they can. Blocking the lot up. Even those red open top tour busses have blocked me from getting in loads of times. In high traffic areas such as Dame street. They just sit there. Twiddling their thumbs.

Private and DB need to be separate.

Imm will that work..
    Those private guys hang out in stops alot trying to get as many fairs as they can. Blocking the lot up. Even those red open top tour busses have blocked me from getting in loads of times. In high traffic areas such as Dame street. They just sit there. Twiddling their thumbs.

Private and DB need to be separate.

There are two separate issues there. Bus stop locations, and the bus stop poles on street.

As I've posted already, I absolutely agree that City PSO services and other service types should have separate stop locations in the city centre. Mixing them just does not work.

The relevant point to this thread is that the days of individual operator bus stop poles & signs are numbered although it will take several years to complete - there will be a generic NTA style stop rolled out as is currently being rolled out in Cork.

An example of the new stop style can be found here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/60501971@N08/35253005874/in/album-72157686530262646/

There are numerous locations outside of the city centre where multiple operators stop and where there are several signs - for example the stops on the N11 at UCD, or stops where both Dublin City PSO services and regional PSO services stop (currently DB and BE), and stops between Maynooth and Liffey Valley served by both DB services and Airport Hopper.

But I think the main point is that this is going to take time, given the cost and sheer volume of stops across the entire country that will need to be rolled out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That stop is an extreme example.
    actually, how many routes which stop on westmoreland street serve the upcoming luas route? i.e. how much bus passenger traffic on the street could feasibly gravitate to the luas? not much, i guess.

• Advertisement

actually, how many routes which stop on westmoreland street serve the upcoming luas route? i.e. how much bus passenger traffic on the street could feasibly gravitate to the luas? not much, i guess.

The 122 passes Westmoreland and will become somewhat obsolete when Luas opens, but I'm not sure if it actually stops on the street.

Advertisement