Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy baby aborted at 15 weeks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I can't blame the parents here. We don't know what they have been through, how many miscarriages before etc.

Perhaps they have had to abort or induce miscarriage many times before and had very little reason to doubt the 1% statistic. Really the medical procedures should control these events as the couple, fraught with emotion and turmoil, may not be the best decision makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

It did happen. Then it was killed.

The "it" I described, which you conveniently edited out of my post when replying to it, did not at all happen no. So let us not pretend "it" did, or allow people like yourself to distort the meanings of others that transparently and disingenuously.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,210 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The "it" I described, which you conveniently edited out of my post when replying to it, did not at all happen no. So let us not pretend "it" did, or allow people like yourself to distort the meanings of others that transparently and disingenuously.

Him and his lot have been waiting months for a chance like this. They wont stop now. Even the first page has a drone banging on about the beloved "8th amendment" and "lefty liberals"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I can't blame the parents here. We don't know what they have been through, how many miscarriages before etc.

Perhaps they have had to abort or induce miscarriage many times before and had very little reason to doubt the 1% statistic. Really the medical procedures should control these events as the couple, fraught with emotion and turmoil, may not be the best decision makers.

Even though I am generally pro life I am not blaming the parents here if they knew nothing about the second test and fully believed there was no hope. If they did know in a week or so a second test was due, I'm not comfortable with their position.
    Actually I've had many miscarriages, ten of them in fact and I kinda think having previous miscarriages as you say would make someone hang on to any hope not the opposite. Women clearly having miscarriages will usually still be telling themselves that all will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Even though I am generally pro life I am not blaming the parents here if they knew nothing about the second test and fully believed there was no hope. If they did know in a week or so a second test was due, I'm not comfortable with their position.
    Actually I've had many miscarriages, ten of them in fact and I kinda think having previous miscarriages as you say would make someone hang on to any hope not the opposite. Women clearly having miscarriages will usually still be telling themselves that all will be fine.

I’ve had multiple m/c also and you are right, even when you know in your soul it’s happening again you still hope against hope that you are wrong until the VERY last minute before it is confirmed by a dr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

I used the word "it" because I did not know the gender of the child not to dehumanise like yourself.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Him and his lot have been waiting months for a chance like this. They wont stop now. Even the first page has a drone banging on about the beloved "8th amendment" and "lefty liberals"

What lot am I? What group to you think I belong to?

I am 100% against abortion because I think it is morally wrong to end another human's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

troyzer wrote: »

Allowing couples to decide to terminate a pregnancy with little chance of life is the compassionate thing to do.

Really!! Is that for the woman or child? I don't think the child would agree, just like the healthy child in this case.

Phil.x wrote: »
    Really!! Is that for the woman or child? I don't think the child would agree, just like the healthy child in this case.

Laziness and lack of respect for life. A winning combination.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Laziness and lack of respect for life. A winning combination.

That's a disgusting way to refer to the medical profession. Mistakes get made. Humans are fallable.

• Advertisement

Phil.x wrote: »

Have you ever thought about the child that may be suffering pain or distress for months in the womb ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,210 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What lot am I? What group to you think I belong to?

I am 100% against abortion because I think it is morally wrong to end another human's life.

The old outdated anti-choice relic from the Catholic fearing 70's.

If you took off the 8th blinkers you will see that the fault is with the hospital for not waiting to get ALL the results before advising/procedeing with the procedure. But your 8th fetish absolves the hospital and blames the parent for terminating a doomed foetus due to misinformation.
    Discodog wrote: »
    That's a disgusting way to refer to the medical profession. Mistakes get made. Humans are fallable.

Its the parents he is aiming at i reckon. He already accused them of "playing victim". Its not the hospitals fault. Just the fault of parents and those who took away the 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭kaymin

If you took off the 8th blinkers you will see that the fault is with the hospital for not waiting to get ALL the results before advising/procedeing with the procedure. But your 8th fetish absolves the hospital and blames the parent for terminating a doomed foetus due to misinformation.

Why are you putting it all on the hospital and why are posters continuously saying the medical staff made a mistake? Anything I've read suggests that's not the case. The IT indicates it was the parents that made the hasty decision.

Rotunda Hospital master Prof Fergal Malone said because the rapid test can give a false positive if there is no ultrasound abnormality most laboratories recommend to wait for the full two weeks.

“But some patients are not prepared to wait the two weeks and want to continue to termination. Generally we recommend that they get the total picture.”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

For me, if I understand this story correctly, the shocking thing was the haste. It's disgusting, to me, whoever decided it, that 7 more days couldn't be waited for until the other conclusive test came back. .

I think you will find that the Savita Halappanavar case has made doctors and administrators alike very nervous.

Basically, they will not want to be in the middle of another screamfest that was the Savita Halappanavar death and will move heaven and earth to avoid the remote possibility of it happening again, even though Arulkumaran report was pretty clear that is was bad medical practice that killed her, not abortion law per say. (What bad medical practice in the HSE? Well I never!!)

Can you imagine so, if something happened to the mother while she had to wait that week or two to get clarification? We would have had the usual cohorts on the streets, pounding the pavements demanding why her 'rights' have not adhered to..etc.etc..

I wonder will they be marching now, this weekend to commemorate the loss of an innocent life, like they did with Savita?

The report will be interesting to see if doctors pressured the parents into making a quick decision on this or not.

I was referring to the parents actually. You don't accidentally abort a baby, that was done purposefully.

Ah, yes humans are indeed fallible.

The thing is though. If a doctor or medical professional causes death to a person due to negligence, they will lose their license to practice and the HSE will get sued for millions, and rightly so. In more extreme cases they can face criminal prosecution.

In this case, because it was a 15-week old baby, I guess we can strike it off as bad luck.

We should all have the choice to do whatever we please?

Not catholic. I'm just a person with morals.

I was referring to the parents actually. You don't accidentally abort a baby, that was done purposefully.

Their decision was based on medical advice. Of course they are accidental victims. You may disagree with the law but it is the law & it has the support of a majority of the public.

Who will be the doctors of the future if they are not allowed to make a mistake ?

Have you ever thought about the child that may be suffering pain or distress for months in the womb ?

Just on that, is it not true, from what is known,that a baby in the womb cannot feel pain up to I think around 20 weeks. So the baby feeling any pain has no bearing on this case. The baby feeling pain was not why this child was aborted when it was.

Their decision was based on medical advice. Of course they are accidental victims. You may disagree with the law but it is the law & it has the support of a majority of the public.

Who will be the doctors of the future if they are not allowed to make a mistake ?

Was it though? The doctors advised them to abort? I doubt it.

• Advertisement

We should all have the choice to do whatever we please?

Not catholic. I'm just a person with morals.

& now you suggest that those who disagree with you don't have morals too

Just on that, is it not true, from what is known,that a baby in the womb cannot feel pain up to I think around 20 weeks. So the baby feeling any pain has no bearing on this case. The baby feeling pain was not why this child was aborted when it was.

Suddenly it's a child who can feel pain once the test results come back negative.

& now you suggest that those who disagree with you don't have morals too

They have very different morals.

Funny, Savita Halappanavar was also an accidental victim, where doctors made mistakes.
    Were you hiding these words then?

markodaly wrote: »
    Funny, Savita Halappanavar was also an accidental victim, where doctors made mistakes.
    Were you hiding these words then?

I wouldn't castigate any person who made a genuine mistake. Doctors are put under huge pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

recedite wrote: »
    Maybe they should.

People get on the witness stand and swear an oath. They then tell lies.

Let your yes be yes and no be no.

I wouldn't castigate any person who made a genuine mistake. Doctors are put under huge pressure.
    How magnanimous of you to be so forgiving in a situation where another family seem to think they've been injured.

I wonder if you'd be so forgiving if you were harmed by medical negligence or, in fact, harmed by anyone who was 'under huge pressure'.

How magnanimous of you to be so forgiving in a situation where another family seem to think they've been injured.

I wonder if you'd be so forgiving if you were harmed by medical negligence or, in fact, harmed by anyone who was 'under huge pressure'.

Were they injured?

Did the doctor recommend abortion? If so they should be struck off.

markodaly wrote: »
    The report will be interesting to see if doctors pressured the parents into making a quick decision on this or not.

The parents will say they absolutely believed there was no hope. The doctors will say the parents arrived at that belief through their (parents)inability to understand what was being said to them. Both are possibly true (although could be ass covering statements too). Meanwhile a wanted healthy baby was aborted and is no more. Can't bring baby back. All that can be done is lessons must be learnt so this can never happen again.

• Advertisement

Ah, look I would agree with you there, but again, where was this mantra when Savita died?
    The rhetoric at the time was that she was murdered and daft stuff like that.

Advertisement