Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toddler stabbed to death in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

40year old female arrested. Scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭screamer

Why is it that every awful murder these days is straight away aligned with "mental illness"? It does mental illness no favours in an era where so much us being done to de-stigmatise it and those who suffer with it. Perhaps the idea of a mother or father killing their child is so repulsive so unnatural that we seek some other thing to blame.... Some reason.... But humans are apex predators for a reason and it's not mental illness. Not all murders are due to mental illness. The poor little guy a needless senseless and terrifying death at the hands of the one who should have loved and protected him most. Rest in peace little angel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

kylith wrote: »
    Hawe got plenty of sympathy until it was realised that he was compos mentis when he killed his family.

I completely disagree with that, from my own experience of it anyway. He was absolutely taken apart from everyone I know and in most things I read. I honestly don't remember an iota of sympathy for him with the exception of the local clergy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

screamer wrote: »
    Why is it that every awful murder these days is straight away aligned with "mental illness"? It does mental illness no favours in an era where so much us being done to de-stigmatise it and those who suffer with it. Perhaps the idea of a mother or father killing their child is so repulsive so unnatural that we seek some other thing to blame.... Some reason.... But humans are apex predators for a reason and it's not mental illness. Not all murders are due to mental illness. The poor little guy a needless senseless and terrifying death at the hands of the one who should have loved and protected him most. Rest in peace little angel.

It's not every murder, but it is a fact that in murder-suicide cases in Ireland, almost half have mental health issues as a factor. We don't know the full story but given the mother also had injuries it's a possibility. It's also possible no mental health issues were at play. However, there is a huge lack of understanding of these types of mental health issues, it's very apparent on this thread, and that's what stigmatises these illnesses and those who suffer from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think this is awfully sad and that is far as I will comment on until a coroner's report or trial has taken place.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    40year old female arrested. Scumbag.

Gardai investigating the stabbing death of a toddler in Dublin have arrested a woman.

According to gardai the arrested woman, aged in her 40s, is currently detained at Crumlin Garda Station under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1984.
    Toddler Omar Omran, who was discovered with several knife wounds to his body and legs, lay dead at a south Dublin apartment for more than two hours, Gardai believe.

He was discovered shortly after 6.30pm on Monday after emergency services broke down the door of the home in the Riverside complex, Poddle Park, Kimmage.
    Detectives have established that the young child was killed about 4pm that afternoon in what has been described as a frenzied attack.

Source- Sunday World

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Hmmmm. It's strange that the woman was only out of surgery yesterday, and is in a garda station already. Is it at all possible it wasn't the mother?

Would St. James' hospital be considered city centre?* I suppose it would.

(another source says she was arrested in the city centre early this morning).

Hmmmm illness. This goes around a lot when old people or vulnerable people are attacked or killed.

Make no mistake had it been a male we be calling him out much more and proof is on boards.

Nah you can't say that. If you even mention it or bring it up, you're using the death of a toddler to further an agenda, a gender agenda. At least that's what I was told and that's what I was accused of. It's best just to offer your condolences, write it off and say nothing more. I did say it was horrible and so very sad in my post too but that was conveniently left out. Some posters, it seems, love to be the one to say ''wow... you went there'' even though you're legitimately making a valid enough point.

Does anyone know if the child's father is in the picture? That's incomprehensibly devastating for him if he is.

Hmmmm. It's strange that the woman was only out of surgery yesterday, and is in a garda station already. Is it at all possible it wasn't the mother?

James's is south inner city so yeah I suppose you could say city centre, a stone's throw from Guinness, Heuston station and the quays. On the peripheries anyway in the same way you could say Mater Hospital is city centre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Says slash wounds in the article so it's likely they were superficial so they may have brought her to the station and arrested her there

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Leftie wagons are circling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

MysticMonk wrote: »
    Leftie wagons are circling...

Where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

Seriously would the people going on about gender just stop. Derailing a topic and just being plain disrespectful. Stick to the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Says slash wounds in the article so it's likely they were superficial so they may have brought her to the station and arrested her there

If it was her. They haven't said who it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Grayson wrote:

Do you even believe that yourself?

Grayson wrote: »

A lot of articles I've seen posted on Facebook said the mother was arrested.

Very sad. May that little boy rest in peace.

As for the circumstances, well some people are monsters. They act without conscience or compassion. It may take little for them to snap. Other people can indeed experience a psychotic break. Then there is everything inbetween. The vast complexities of human nature. I don't know what happened here. It is something however which I feel needs to be discussed. Psychosis, sociopathy, serious and dangerous personality disorders. These are real occurances. We hear about depression and anxiety constantly. It's time to open our eyes to the darker side of human behaviour.

Muir wrote: »
    A lot of articles I've seen posted on Facebook said the mother was arrested.

Facebook isn't news.
    Do you even believe that yourself?

Do I believe I don't know? Yes. I honestly believe there's a fcuk load I don't know about this. I don't know who did it. I don't know what the motives are.

elsa21 wrote: »
    Seriously would the people going on about gender just stop. Derailing a topic and just being plain disrespectful. Stick to the facts.

What facts do we have? A woman in her 40's has been arrested and a child has been stabbed to death. Gardai aren't looking for anyone else. They're the only facts we have. Time to close the thread down so according to you.

Facebook isn't news.

Facebook in and of itself isn't news but many news outlets use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Omackeral wrote: »
    I completely disagree with that, from my own experience of it anyway. He was absolutely taken apart from everyone I know and in most things I read. I honestly don't remember an iota of sympathy for him with the exception of the local clergy.

Last time the topic was brought up here there were still people claiming he'd had a psychotic break and just snapped, even though it had been established that there was no evidence for that.

He got sympathy, and he still gets sympathy by from some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Grayson wrote:
    Do I believe I don't know? Yes. I honestly believe there's a fcuk load I don't know about this. I don't know who did it. I don't know what the motives are.

You can bet your bottom dollar she did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Just kind of taken aback some people seem more outraged trump was elected than a mother murdering a three year old. Calls for understanding and tolerance not to judge the murderer but if you're a trump supporter you're beyond redemption

according to the irish times
    A woman in her early 40s has been arrested in relation to the death of a three-year-old boy in his house in Dublin on Monday night.
    The woman is being held at Crumlin Garda Station under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, 1984, a brief Garda statement said on Wednesday morning.
    The boy’s mother was taken to St James’s Hospital with serious injuries after the incident. She was treated for stab wounds on Monday night after emergency services called to the home she shared with her son in Kimmage at around 7pm. She is understood to be Iranian.
    She underwent emergency surgery overnight on Monday.
    Sources said there was no sign of a break-in at the apartment or of a violent struggle.
    Gardaí have said they are not looking for anyone else in relation to the child’s death at the Riverside apartment block at Poddle Park in Kimmage.

The mother underwent surgery for serious stab wounds. I doubt she's been brought to Crumlin. It's possible but doubtful.

Facebook in and of itself isn't news but many news outlets use it.

Then post an article from the news site. Or say such and such a news site has said it. But facebook isn't a news site.

elsa21 wrote: »

The fact is that the kid's mother (who is Iranian) was arrested and the cops arent looking for anybody else.

There are the facts.

kylith wrote: »
    Last time the topic was brought up here there were still people claiming he'd had a psychotic break and just snapped, even though it had been established that there was no evidence for that.

He got sympathy, and he still gets sympathy by from some.

The vast vast majority lashed him out of it. The way it's been put forward by some, you'd think it was unanimous sympathy. It was anything but. The sympathy lied with Clodagh and the boys.

The vast vast majority lashed him out of it. The way it's been put forward by some, you'd think it was unanimous sympathy. It was anything but. The sympathy lied with Clodagh and the boys.

As it should, a horrific way to die. Just like this little boy. Victims of evil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's the almost gleeful reaction that some here have exhibited to it being the mother that's been arrested that's really distasteful. A child is dead. A number of lives have been destroyed. There are no points to be scored.

• Advertisement

Facebook isn't news.

I never said Facebook was news, I said articles have been posted on Facebook - as in articles from Irish newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Just kind of taken aback some people seem more outraged trump was elected than a mother murdering a three year old. Calls for understanding and tolerance not to judge the murderer but if you're a trump supporter you're beyond redemption

The two situations are not really comparable however...

Trump being elected was a shock because of the sheer number of people who gave him their preference - it is scarier in terms of the collective community because of the rise of racism/facism & a more right wing type of politics. The reverberations are felt throughout the world.

The murder of this wee boy is a shock but in a completely different way as it is a tragic instance where either a) a murderous woman killed a toddler b) a woman with a severe mental disorder had a psychotic episode which resulted in the child's murder - either way it is horrific & hard to think about but sadly it is not the kind of thing we can really mitigate for. Trump on the other hand was part of a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG ass campaign in which he set out his stall pretty clearly. A lot of people thought/hoped he couldn't be elected & he still was.

MysticMonk wrote: »
    The fact is that the kid's mother (who is Iranian) was arrested and the cops arent looking for anybody else.

There are the facts.

Where does it say that? People keep saying that but haven't posted a link to anything.

Her nationality shouldn't matter. But if you are going to mention it, get it right. Most reports I've seen says she's Iraqi.

You can bet your bottom dollar she did it.

Why would I bet on something I don't know?

Then post an article from the news site. Or say such and such a news site has said it. But facebook isn't a news site.

We're into semantics now but it was the poster Muir that said s/he read articles posted on Facebook, meaning news articles. They didn't refer to Facebook as a news site, I'm not either, but you can get news from there in the same way you can get news from Twitter or the TV. I myself posted an article from a news site that I came across on FB, I presume Muir was referring to something in the same way.

We're into semantics now but it was the poster Muir that said s/he read articles posted on Facebook, meaning news articles. They didn't refer to Facebook as a news site, I'm not either, but you can get news from there in the same way you can get news from Twitter or the TV. I myself posted an article from a news site that I came across on FB, I presume Muir was referring to something in the same way.

I wasn't referring to you directly. but saying I saw it on facebook is citing a third party source. You (Or whoever's posting it) should say I saw it on the irish times or whatever. Or say that "The irish times is reporting it".

• Advertisement

I wasn't referring to you directly. but saying I saw it on facebook is citing a third party source. You (Or whoever's posting it) should say I saw it on the irish times or whatever. Or say that "The irish times is reporting it".

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0385322_PE558444_S5.JPG
    Dude here have a lamp cause you need to lighten up. Who cares whether he saw it on Facebook or if a carrier pidgeon dropped a telegram off on his door step? It's all over every single media outlet. You're being pedantic for the sake of it

spurious wrote: »
    It's the almost gleeful reaction that some here have exhibited to it being the mother that's been arrested that's really distasteful. A child is dead. A number of lives have been destroyed. There are no points to be scored.

Where's the glee?! Are you reading what you're posting and more importantly are you believing it? What points are there to be scored? Who 'wins' here exactly? Everyone knows a child is dead. We know that. You saying it again in attempt to shove shame onto people doesn't bring it any more gravitas. Some people have made the observation that there are differing reactions of society to infanticide depending on which parent was responsible for the killing. It's an observation. It doesn't mean they're being gleeful. It's comments like yours that are the disrespectful ones, making it out to be a macabre game of sorts.

optogirl wrote: »
    The two situations are not really comparable however...

Trump being elected was a shock because of the sheer number of people who gave him their preference - it is scarier in terms of the collective community because of the rise of racism/facism & a more right wing type of politics. .

What "rise or racism/facism" are you talking about?

I'd love to see some examples of these Racist/Facists on the rise!

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/0385322_PE558444_S5.JPG
    Dude here have a lamp cause you need to lighten up. Who cares whether he saw it on Facebook or if a carrier pidgeon dropped a telegram off on his door step? It's all over every single media outlet. You're being pedantic for the sake of it

I'm not being pedantic. I just like facts.

• Advertisement

Her nationality shouldn't matter. But if you are going to mention it, get it right. Most reports I've seen says she's Iraqi.

Haven't read she was Iraqi anywhere but it you demand that someone be right here's a quick Google result.

Woman arrested over fatal stabbing of boy (3) in Dublin - The Irish Times

www.irishtimes.com/.../woman-arrested-over-fatal-stabbing-of-boy-3-in-dublin-1.315...

15 hours ago - Woman arrested over fatal stabbing of boy (3) in Dublin. Suspect in her early 40s ... Kimmage at around 7pm. She is understood to be Iranian.

Boy, 3, stabbed to death in Dublin apartment; mother in 'serious ...

www.breakingnews.ie/.../boy-3-stabbed-to-death-in-dublin-apartment-mother-in-serious...
    2 days ago - The circumstances in which a three-year-old boy was stabbed and died in ... Both are said to be Iranian and it is believed she works in a Dublin ...

Woman arrested over fatal stabbing of toddler in Dublin - Q Radio

www.goqradio.com/news/.../woman-arrested-over-fatal-stabbing-of-toddler-in-dublin...

1 hour ago - Woman arrested over fatal stabbing of toddler in Dublin ... The child and woman are understood to be of Iranian decent, who have been living ...

Garda Investigation Launched Following Fatal Stabbing Of Baby In ...

www.clare.fm/.../garda-investigation-launched-following-fatal-stabbing-baby-dublin/

1 day ago - Garda Investigation Launched Following Fatal Stabbing Of Baby In Dublin. 11th July 2017 ... A woman in her 40s, believed to be the kid's mother, is also in a serious condition in hospital. It's believed they were Iranian and had been living in the area for some time

It wasn't til i came to this thread that I thought about it being her. I read an article saying a woman was arrested, would have thought they'd say it was her if so. That's awful if true

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

What kind of mind have you got, that would hear of a toddler's murder and follow a train of thought, to draw a comparison between that and the reaction to the election of Donald Trump?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No more discussion about Trump please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Such a tragedy. I don't mind admitting I spent a bit of time holding my toddler after reading about this, despite his objections. It's sad that people use something like this to push their agendas on gender politics and religion. What the **** is wrong with someone that they hear about a three year old being stabbed to death and their first thought is about how she will get a lesser punishment than a man?

Muir wrote: »
    Well in future, if you don't want to come across as pedantic, you could just ask the person "would you mind linking to a source on that?" and most people will happily do so.

During the election in the US people on both sides were swamped by fake news articles. Nearly all on facebook. Saying "I saw an article on facebook" and assuming that it should be enough proof for anyone is silly. Saying "I saw the mirror/sun/Independant posting it on facebook is ok. Posting the article is best.

Every day facebook is swamped by dodgy stories and click bait. Yet somehow I'm being portrayed as being finicky and pedantic because i think that "Article on facebook" shouldn't prove anything.

In future if you want people to accept what you're saying, put a little bit more effort in.

(edit: just saw the thing about Trump. This isn't about Trump but i did reference the election there. I won't do it again)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Game Face MCGee

poor kid, had his whole life ahead of him, illness or not you cant be going around killing innocent people. did she get treatment? had she a history of mental illness, you don't just snap like this out of the blue.. you cant use the mental illness card as a trump card to absolve people from this kind of evil. sorry liberals the bitch should hang for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Silver Lynel

Where does it say that? People keep saying that but haven't posted a link to anything.

What are you on about?

Look at your own post #176!http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104063015&postcount=176

You've posted at 12:40 that she was understood to be Iranian and then 8 minutes later you are giving out because people aren't sharing accurate information and stating that most reports you've seen said she was Iraqi.

The report you quoted from the Irish Times said she was Iranian!

Maybe take your own advice from post 198.

"In future if you want people to accept what you're saying, put a little bit more effort in" - Grayson

Grayson, most posters seemed to be aware of the articles I was referring to, you said we didn't know it was the mother yet and I was just letting you know that there were articles stating it, and other posters weren't just making assumptions as you implied. That's all.

Back on topic, I walked by the apartments are few minutes ago, really upsetting.

What are you on about?

Look at your own post #176!http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104063015&postcount=176

You've posted at 12:40 that she was understood to be Iranian and then 8 minutes later you are giving out because people aren't sharing accurate information and stating that most reports you've seen said she was Iraqi.

The report you quoted from the Irish Times said she was Iranian!

Maybe take your own advice from post 198.

"In future if you want people to accept what you're saying, put a little bit more effort in" - Grayson

I actually googled her name and it came up with a load of articles that stated she was iraqi.

So, I'm right when I say I don't know anything and apparently neither do the papers.

(Btw, it was the indo that said Iraqi.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement