Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
08-02-2017, 15:14   #46
Cuddlesworth
Registered User
 
Cuddlesworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 12,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutmonkey57b View Post
In a laptop, battery life and heat trump almost everything else. People with 4k screens tend to move from one plug socket to the next, but AMD has years of crappy corner cutting laptops (many still on the shelves of the stores) to overcome.

It's telling that they didn't release Bristol ridge laptops and desktops to review sites; if there was good news to shout about for the a 9000 series you can bet they would have done it. Instead, no launches, no information, nothing.
The market for in depth reviews of what are effectively huge variants of OEM chips is dead. What they review now is the top end Surface, Macbook, X720 spinning phablet and say how pretty it looks.

Its rare to find a review of the model laptop you want, with the chip in it you can afford(they almost always have the most expensive models). The few reviewers I have seen that compare models can at times remark that performance on even the same chips varies greatly due to the differing thermal and power limitations the system has, especially on the netbook style devices. And all of that is expected, because for most use cases the lowest end CPU's work perfectly for what most users want. Very very few people need a 62 watt I7 over a 15 watt core m/y variant or care if a image render is 3 seconds faster on one model over another. They use office applications, web based applications and watch videos/listen to music. And laptops from 8 years ago do that well, laptops with new chips excel at that.
Cuddlesworth is offline  
Advertisement
08-02-2017, 17:09   #47
K.O.Kiki
Registered User
 
K.O.Kiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 16,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuddlesworth View Post
The market for in depth reviews of what are effectively huge variants of OEM chips is dead. What they review now is the top end Surface, Macbook, X720 spinning phablet and say how pretty it looks.

Its rare to find a review of the model laptop you want, with the chip in it you can afford(they almost always have the most expensive models). The few reviewers I have seen that compare models can at times remark that performance on even the same chips varies greatly due to the differing thermal and power limitations the system has, especially on the netbook style devices. And all of that is expected, because for most use cases the lowest end CPU's work perfectly for what most users want. Very very few people need a 62 watt I7 over a 15 watt core m/y variant or care if a image render is 3 seconds faster on one model over another. They use office applications, web based applications and watch videos/listen to music. And laptops from 8 years ago do that well, laptops with new chips excel at that.
IDK about low-power chips, my laptop's i7-5500U has a weird tendency to stutter during simple multitasking.
K.O.Kiki is online now  
08-02-2017, 22:16   #48
Cuddlesworth
Registered User
 
Cuddlesworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 12,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.Kiki View Post
IDK about low-power chips, my laptop's i7-5500U has a weird tendency to stutter during simple multitasking.
You ever checked a tool like latencymon to see if its a dodgy driver locking it up?
Cuddlesworth is offline  
Thanks from:
09-02-2017, 00:42   #49
Skerries
Registered User
 
Skerries's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,194
possible pricing

Skerries is offline  
Thanks from:
09-02-2017, 08:52   #50
will56
Registered User
 
will56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,012
US pricing indications:
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-lineup...cores-low-320/
will56 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-02-2017, 13:22   #51
Slutmonkey57b
Registered User
 
Slutmonkey57b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,021
That's some incredible pre-availability, pre-conducting-any-tests assumptions about performance going on there!

However for all our sakes let's hope it's at least competitive at a lower price.
Slutmonkey57b is offline  
09-02-2017, 21:29   #52
Cuddlesworth
Registered User
 
Cuddlesworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 12,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutmonkey57b View Post
That's some incredible pre-availability, pre-conducting-any-tests assumptions about performance going on there!

However for all our sakes let's hope it's at least competitive at a lower price.
Few people have confirmed the source of the pricing. Its expected to be within 10% of that figure for most large scale retailers.
Cuddlesworth is offline  
10-02-2017, 16:10   #53
BloodBath
Registered User
 
BloodBath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 8,915
That's insanely good. Intel can do what they want now. Drop prices, release higher clocked variants but there's nothing they can do short term to compete with this AMD line up.

Just gotta wait for more benchmarks now to see how much they whup their intel counterparts.
BloodBath is offline  
10-02-2017, 18:52   #54
EoinHef
Registered User
 
EoinHef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,588
No Ryzen drivers for windows 7 from what i read today. Bummer for anyone clinging onto 7.
EoinHef is offline  
Advertisement
10-02-2017, 18:54   #55
Slutmonkey57b
Registered User
 
Slutmonkey57b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,021
Bang goes corporate sales if that's true. Microsoft is still forcing people off xp!
Slutmonkey57b is offline  
10-02-2017, 18:55   #56
wotzgoingon
Registered User
 
wotzgoingon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,512
I don't know why people want to stay on 7. Yes it was good but I moved onto 8 then 8.1 and now 10 when they were first released and I never had any problem.


I see the post above me yes corporates may want to stay but general users should just update
wotzgoingon is offline  
10-02-2017, 19:28   #57
EoinHef
Registered User
 
EoinHef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slutmonkey57b View Post
Bang goes corporate sales if that's true. Microsoft is still forcing people off xp!
PCWorld,PCGamer and Tech-PowerUp all running the story so id say it is. Im sure confirmation will start popping up elsewhere now
EoinHef is offline  
10-02-2017, 19:38   #58
EoinHef
Registered User
 
EoinHef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by wotzgoingon View Post
I don't know why people want to stay on 7. Yes it was good but I moved onto 8 then 8.1 and now 10 when they were first released and I never had any problem.


I see the post above me yes corporates may want to stay but general users should just update
At this point moving to 10 is a no brainer,pretty much free too. Also Kaby Lake is windows 10 too,so if corprates want to upgrade to the latest stuff,windows 10 is the only option. So no loss to AMD there really.

Last edited by EoinHef; 10-02-2017 at 19:58.
EoinHef is offline  
10-02-2017, 20:25   #59
Venom
Registered User
 
Venom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 1998
Posts: 6,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by EoinHef View Post
At this point moving to 10 is a no brainer,pretty much free too. Also Kaby Lake is windows 10 too,so if corprates want to upgrade to the latest stuff,windows 10 is the only option. So no loss to AMD there really.
The big problem with corporate upgrades of windows is not so much just the cost of new hardware which can be alot, but compatibility issues with older software not being supported on the newer OS. This can be a huge problem for a business due to buying a new package, transferring data from the old to new system and then having to train in staff on it.
Venom is offline  
10-02-2017, 20:53   #60
wotzgoingon
Registered User
 
wotzgoingon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8,512
When I was in college they upgraded from XP to 7 and loads of programs wouldn't work. I think for some programs we used VM's and not all would work through them either.
wotzgoingon is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet