Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-Life: Alyx (formerly: Half Life 3 is coming??)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Could get some info at gamescom.. Hopefully :)

http://m.t3.com/news/half-life-3-confirmed-at-gamescon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

For super, duper, ultra, giga reals this time guise!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

CdEUHXzVBEOdkv1YREJ6NA2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Magill wrote: »
    Could get some info at gamescom.. Hopefully :)

http://m.t3.com/news/half-life-3-confirmed-at-gamescon

It would be nice but I don't even read T3 anymore due to the lack of research they do for their articles. I can pull almost any of them apart for wrong facts and information lately, especially any of the ones to do with consoles and gaming.

Valve did leak concept art of Alyx a little bit back so they seem to be working on something.

It has been so long now that this must be either A: Released very soon if it's still using the same Source engine as it's getting very dated, but Portal 2 did put on a good show B: It's a very long way off as they have made a new Source engine and it will be out for the next gen consoles and more powerful PCs. 2014 time scale at the earliest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'll only believe Half-Life 3 exists when I've actually completed the thing myself. Anything else is too uncertain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Source = Wired.co.uk
    Although the document (.pdf) lists exhibitors as one source for the list of expected announcements, a disclaimer (written in German, which we translated) also lists games media, internet forums and blogs as sources for the compilation. Not to pour too much sadness juice on the fires of excitement, this could transpire to be the work of a hopeful Gamescom employee masquerading as droppings from a fact donkey. Valve has been silent on the matter, as is its trademark, so time will tell.

Also
    Updated 14/08/2012, 12:50: At the start of July, Valve's VP of marketing, Doug Lombardi, told Valve fansite LambdaGeneration: "We will have the Steam team there to meet with developers and publishers. No game showing planned." That's a bit more sadness juice, right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Getting so tired of HL3 hype

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Confirmed false report. Eurogamer was told that HL3 and Dragon Age 3 were to be announced by organisers of the event. No reason given.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

oh for the love of god, it was a pdf how could anyone believe it, especially with a game of half life 3's stature :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As much as i'm also sick of the hype, i still really hope we get some sort of news soon. Granted i've been saying that for a few years now, but i trust Valve to sort it out eventually, and for it to be brilliant if/when they do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Let's face it: they don't appear to be anywhere near announcing anything about it, they may not even be working on it, and they may not even have any plans to start. Perhaps a whole new Half-Life is just too big a commitment, when you consider their initial approach of following it up with individual episodes - since abandoned - and the more recent successes they've had with the shorter Portal games and multiplayer titles.

At this stage, everyone might as well just assume it's never coming (then if it does, 'twill be a nice surprise.)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Kinski wrote: »
    and the more recent successes they've had with the shorter Portal games and multiplayer titles.

Not that the smaller episodes are not a great thing, but if they make Half-Life 3 and keep it at the standard we expect it would likely be one of the top selling games in history. It is so anticipated, so well-known and has such a massive, loyal and diverse fan base, it is absolute intellectual property gold. There is no way in hell they're not working on it, they just don't want to start hyping it too early.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Zillah wrote: »
    Not that the smaller episodes are not a great thing, but if they make Half-Life 3 and keep it at the standard we expect it would likely be one of the top selling games in history.

That won't happen. Once it gets announced, the excitement will be too much for any Half Life fan to handle and will cause their head to literally explode. After that, it'll probably sell about 10 copies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

They could release a 50 Gig video of Gabe Newell beating a child to death called Half Life 3 and it would make more money on pre-order alone than several small countries. At this stage waiting so long for it is reminding me of Duke Nukem, and we all know how that turned out. So enthusiasm is not exactly high.

Of course some nights, when the moon is full and the stars are bright in the sky and there's a certain tranquility to the world that gives you the feeling that everything is going to be all right... On nights like those, I dare to hope. <wistful stare>

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That won't happen. Once it gets announced, the excitement will be too much for any Half Life fan to handle and will cause their head to literally explode. After that, it'll probably sell about 10 copies.

It may sell to those same people who bought Duke Nukem Forever just due to the historical nature of the release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Mann Vs Machine for TF2 will be released on August 15th. 1+5 = 6 This is Team Fortress 2. 6/2 = 3

L7R26.jpg

There are three N's in Mann Vs Machine! This must mean the big gamescon reveal is that valve has managed to graft a third thumb on to their developers!

Sarky wrote: »
    At this stage waiting so long for it is reminding me of Duke Nukem, and we all know how that turned out. So enthusiasm is not exactly high.

Wait... Are you comparing a company that isn't Valve, to Valve?

I think I see your mistake...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The money and hype surrounding HL3 would be too great to just ignore it and not finish it off. It's Valve's flagship game so I well imagine they're working hard on the new game and it's new Source engine.

The game will come when they're ready, possibly closer to next generation consoles so realistically a good chance that some news within a year.

Girlfriend is at GDC.
    She messages me.
    "Guess what I just got to play!"
    "Half Life 3?"
    "Yep"
    "Lies"
    "Is true"
    "No"
    "Not really"

....Crap

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Red card offence that Genghiz! I think I've killed off the part of my brain that may have been interested in HL3/Episode 3 at this stage. I think Valve is afraid of a Duke Nukem scenario too tbh, it's gone too long for the hype machine to be anything other than destructive to the game now.

• Advertisement

Team Fortress 2 was a huge success.
    If anyone can do HL3 well, it's Valve. (I am an outrageous Valve Fanboi)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

So I was in Germany all week with the in-laws. No one mentions that GDC is on twenty minutes down the road. On the train back to London I comment on the Dishonoured posters all over Cologne main station, since it's rare to see game posters so prominent in game hating Germany. The OH sez, 'Oh, yeah there's some game thing on'.

FUUU!!!!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Simpsons-Nelson-haha.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If I had to guess, I don't think Valve want to make a new Half Life. Why would they? In effect, they've made 4 games set in that universe, I wouldn't blame them if they'd had enough of City17. Plus, Valve seem the sort of company who don't take on a gaming project unless they can do something unique & interesting: HL3 would barely constitute that. Steam seems to be their main focus these days, with TF2 & Portal being the lead gaming franchises; two franchises that are very good for introducing new ideas & evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Its called valve time, i'd be shocked if they never released HL3.. they're probably waiting for next gen consoles. I'd also be shocked if they didn't realise it as the first major game for Source Engine 2.0.

People comparing the HL3 situation to Duke Nukem... honestly ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    If I had to guess, I don't think Valve want to make a new Half Life. Why would they? In effect, they've made 4 games set in that universe, I wouldn't blame them if they'd had enough of City17. Plus, Valve seem the sort of company who don't take on a gaming project unless they can do something unique & interesting: HL3 would barely constitute that. Steam seems to be their main focus these days, with TF2 & Portal being the lead gaming franchises; two franchises that are very good for introducing new ideas & evolution.

I actually wouldn't agree with any of that :pac: Half-Life has gotten Valve where they are today, and it's still probably the most beloved of all their franchises. Half-Life 2 was a massively innovative game, in any number of both subtle and obvious ways besides the physics engine - storytelling, level design, consistent gameworld, character design, even the gunplay... It was also the perfect sequel: equal parts familiar and refreshingly new. Episode 1 was OK, but Episode 2 continued that trend of innovation, and the concluding segments of that game - from the huge Strider battle to that emotional gutpunch of an ending - suggest that they are still extremely excited by the potential the Gordon Freeman story and the Half-Life world have to offer, and that excitement is infectious. And wasn't
    City 17 destroyed
    ? Ain't no going back there :p There was also the extremely exciting hint that the worlds of HL and Portal would collide in any further sequel. Now that would be special... Several of the new mechanics and story elements introduced in HL2:Ep2 were experiments to be built upon in further installments. I'm not the biggest fan of endless sequels, but there were so many things teased and established in that game that I am very eager to see them resolved. These are rare games that wholly need sequels.

If anything, Valve aren't going to put out Half-Life 3 until it's good and ready. As has been said, it's a good bet there's going to be a new engine running the thing. Half-Life 2 paved the way for everything Valve have done over the last decade - from Steam to Portal. It's easily amongst the most beloved gaming franchises out there, from a studio rich with ideas both familiar and new. The wait is excruciating - is there any doubt it's being worked on - but such quality control is admirable. If their track record is anything to go by, Valve will try their darndest to ensure HL3 is worth the wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

As far as I know Half Life 2 episode 3 has not been officially cancelled so is still on track to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Mantel wrote: »
    Mann Vs Machine for TF2 will be released on August 15th. 1+5 = 6 This is Team Fortress 2. 6/2 = 3

L7R26.jpg

There are three N's in Mann Vs Machine! This must mean the big gamescon reveal is that valve has managed to graft a third thumb on to their developers!

Don't forget the appearance of the G-Mann

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/ncis3o/gt-tv-valve

Gaben joked about Half-Life 3. Looks like another 10 year delay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

/\/ollog wrote: »
    http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/ncis3o/gt-tv-valve

Gaben joked about Half-Life 3. Looks like another 10 year delay.

How do you delay a game that you never confirmed to be working on?

Advertisement