Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-02-2019, 23:12   #1
jobeenfitz

Always tired

Since I was about 16 I have always felt tired. Some days better than others. I always struggled to wake up and even when I woke up I struggled to get out of the bed. This caused a lot of problems in my job and my home life with four children.

Now I am fifty six and have a pension so not as much of a problem. My children are older and I don't have much responsibilities. I live on my own most of the time meaning I go to bed and get up when I want.

The problem is, I have four grown up children. Two of them got a lot of my genes including "the lazy gene" and struggle the same way I did.

When I was young I just thought I was a lazy sod. I even pretended I was on the beer when I was late for work as that was more acceptable back then than just admitting I was tired and had sleep issues.

My ex wife looks down on my son and daughter with the same problem. I know they have the same issues I have and their lives are suffering because of it. Their self worth is also affected because of it.

Later on in life I sought help for this issue but tests showed nothing. I wish I could find out if other people suffer with this issue and if anything can be done about it. Not for myself as I have it easy now. I am sure my son and daughter are not just lazy, I'm convinced I passed on "the lazy gene" . My other two daughters got more of my ex wife's traits and are morning larks.
Advertisement
15-03-2019, 21:46   #2
Fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobeenfitz View Post

Later on in life I sought help for this issue but tests showed nothing. I wish I could find out if other people suffer with this issue and if anything can be done about it. Not for myself as I have it easy now. I am sure my son and daughter are not just lazy, I'm convinced I passed on "the lazy gene" . My other two daughters got more of my ex wife's traits and are morning larks.
Ask your medical doctor if you may have chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID).
(2) thanks from:
15-03-2019, 23:04   #3
jobeenfitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
Ask your medical doctor if you may have chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) or systemic exertion intolerance disease (SEID).
Thanks Fathom.
Thanks from:
17-03-2019, 01:26   #4
Fathom

Knew a faculty member who had a similar condition. His MD had difficulty diagnosing it.
Thanks from:
17-03-2019, 01:43   #5
Masala

Get checked for Sleep Apnoea..... it could be making you tired despite sleeping like a baby!
Advertisement
25-06-2019, 06:20   #6
Graces7

Quote:
endorsing this. I have CFS/ME misdiagnosed for decades . Now I can cope knowing it is a very real systemic illness .
25-06-2019, 06:23   #7
Graces7

Quote:
Knew a faculty member who had a similar condition. His MD had difficulty diagnosing it.
There is no specific test. They call is a "diagnosis of exclusion" and it tends to me misread as mental illness or as with the OP, laziness.

It is also a disease of management; working out a routine that works for you and not letting anyone push you into doing more than your body can cope with. the word NO is very useful....

My current GP does not believe in it but that is fine too. Like the OP I am on a pension.
26-06-2019, 23:06   #8
Fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
There is no specific test. They call is a "diagnosis of exclusion" and it tends to me misread as mental illness or as with the OP, laziness.
Diagonsis of exclusion. Thanks Graces7 for noting this. Something new for me.
Thanks from:
07-07-2019, 11:33   #9
Graces7

Quote:
Diagonsis of exclusion. Thanks Graces7 for noting this. Something new for me.
This was enshrined in the World Health Organisations'; work in assessing and gaining any form of recognition and awareness of M.E

See

https://me-pedia.org/wiki/World_Health_Organization

and

https://www.bmj.com/content/350/bmj.h2087/rr-10
Advertisement
08-07-2019, 21:06   #10
Fathom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
This was enshrined in the World Health Organisations'; work in assessing and gaining any form of recognition and awareness of M.E
Bout time the WHO provided recognition.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion