Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethiopian Restaurant?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

ixoy wrote: »
    Yep did it last week (we were the first meal served on the first night!) and we both really liked it. We got seconds! Stuffed afterwards but very pleased.

Was there much that was vegetarian?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

mrcheez wrote: »
    Was it advertised anywhere? Only way I knew about it was through this thread.

This is the first mention I have heard of it spart from Boards. I am adjacent to the area so dunno if there were more local ads on North Strand. I guess the Cloud Cafe regulars were first in the loop.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This is the first mention I have heard of it spart from Boards. I am adjacent to the area so dunno if there were more local ads on North Strand. I guess the Cloud Cafe regulars were first in the loop.

Yeah I cycle past it every day but wouldn't really have thought of the area as a foodie haven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Best Italian in Ireland too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,350 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Going tonight, very excited! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Lovindublin ran an article on it. I noticed that after that article, bookings shot up hugely so I'm guessing that was their ad.
    Maldesu wrote: »
    Was there much that was vegetarian?
    Yes. I meant to photograph the menu but there was about ten dishes and only three were meat so it's nearly all vegetarian. When we went for seconds, we just got the vegetarian dishes because they were so nice.

Ok, had a lovely evening with Mrs G! and some good friends. The food was delicious, a different type of spice than your cumin/coriander seed variety. 3 meat dishes/7 vegetarian.

The bread/pancake injera is the main component and you use your right hand to to break it off and eat the various dishes. (You never use your left hand, that’s for wiping your arse! ;)).

Was it worth the €50 for the mixed plate for two as shown?

39512245-F3-BE-46-CF-9-BA4-2-E97-DAF18-E93.jpgupload photos

For the novelty value, yes. But would I go back and spend the same again? Not sure.

The brownie and ice cream for dessert was also lovely but the promised coffee ceremony was a bit meh even though the resulting drink was lovely.

6.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I paid €2.50 for this last year at a little Ethiopian restaurant in Uganda.

Screenshot-20190818-103625-Photos.jpg

I know everything is more expensive in Europe, but still 50yoyos is quite pricey. Not sure if I'd part with that sort of cash for it knowing in the back of my head the prices I've paid for it in the past. Given its in Europe I might pay... €15 to €20 yo-yos maximum for @Gloomtastic's one maybe?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The 25 per head also included the dessert and coffee.

I could have done with a dessert half the size, it was really tasty but very rich.

I would expect them when they are up and running in a Dublin premises to be charging 30-35 for the same thing.

We went on the second night when there were still a few little teething problems, but as mentioned before the very pleasant young man behind it quite open to suggestions and constructive criticism, which I sent him by email and he replied to most graciously.

I would go again, even at higher prices. I'm not vegetarian, but I would be tempted to have a vegetarian platter as some of those dishes were fantastic, especially the beetroot one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gloom how many different dishes were on the platter? Must say the presentation doesnt look great but maybe Ethiopian is one of those cuisines that is difficult to present well. €50 does seem on the high side alright, mind you if it includes the brownie and coffee for two people then its not outrageous either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

25 a head, order as many of the 7 options as you like, seconds Available if you want them, and it includes dessert and coffee.

Trying to compare prices in Kampala to Dublin is ridiculous. I've lived in East Africa, I know how cheap stuff is there, bit there's no way I'd compare prices, it's irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

you use your right hand to to break it off and eat the various dishes. (You never use your left hand, that’s for wiping your arse! ;)).

6.5/10

:eek: Whatever about the food, I do expect toilet paper in my restaurants ;)

trashcan wrote: »
    :eek: Whatever about the food, I do expect toilet paper in my restaurants ;)

I forgot to check! :eek:

Is it not possible to order for one?

Like JackieChang, I would have had a full platter to myself while I was in Ethiopia

Is it not possible to order for one?

Like JackieChang, I would have had a full platter to myself while I was in Ethiopia

Yes. There was 3 meat dishes, 7 veg. You could order any of them as a main or, as we did, a mixed platter of each. We ordered it for two or you could have it as an individual.

Yes. There was 3 meat dishes, 7 veg. You could order any of them as a main or, as we did, a mixed platter of each. We ordered it for two or you could have it as an individual.

Right, so approx 50% less portions, but a full injera for €25 ?

If it's €50 for 2 including dessert and coffee then it's fine.

I paid €2.50 for this last year at a little Ethiopian restaurant in Uganda.

I know everything is more expensive in Europe, but still 50yoyos is quite pricey. Not sure if I'd part with that sort of cash for it knowing in the back of my head the prices I've paid for it in the past. Given its in Europe I might pay... €15 to €20 yo-yos maximum for @Gloomtastic's one maybe?

Strange point. I paid 50c for some Thalis in India. Has no bearing on Irish price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Right, so approx 50% less portions, but a full injera for €25 ?

You can order a mixed platter for 1 and even order extra injera if you want.

We ordered the mixed platter for 2, and then asked for some extra injera and shiro wat which were brought promptly without extra charge.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Dublin Enquirer covered it

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2019/05/01/on-north-circular-road-a-family-restaurant-with-dishes-from-across-africa

And also this more general african restaurant, I pass it on my way to work and often wondered if it’s any good. Must give it a go!

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2019/05/01/on-north-circular-road-a-family-restaurant-with-dishes-from-across-africa

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Injera always reminded me of the layer of foam under the pile layer in a carpet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Injera always reminded me of the layer of foam under the pile layer in a carpet

yeah its not very appealing to the eye, I've seen layers of foam inside sofas that look similar :D

Have never had it myself but believe it is a type of sourdough bread, is it a strong flavour?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I’ve been to Ethiopia and the food there is not good. You get very sick of the enjerra after few bites, it is a tasteless cloth more or less. And the dish gets very splodgy with the various vegs and meats on it. In fairness to them most if not all of their food is sourced from the country.
    The coffee there is fantastic.
    And the beer, there are many varieties of it all lager type, is really good. Far far better than Kenyan Tusker lager.

I’ve been to Ethiopia and the food there is not good. You get very sick of the enjerra after few bites, it is a tasteless cloth more or less. And the dish gets very splodgy with the various vegs and meats on it. In fairness to them most if not all of their food is sourced from the country.
    And the beer, there are many varieties of it all lager type, is really good. Far far better than Kenyan Tusker lager.

Wow, how odd. I found Ethiopian cuisine to be superb...so much so that I purposely flew over to London when I got back purely to go sample the food again.

Admittedly, I got food poisoning from eating fish that went bad due to power cuts, but never had problems eating Tibs or any of the other dishes served on injera.

I love injera too, but admittedly I prefer savoury flavours to sweet so that might be part of it.

Similar flavour to German rye bread you get in Aldi but not as strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Wow, how odd. I found Ethiopian cuisine to be superb...so much so that I purposely flew over to London when I got back purely to go sample the food again.

Admittedly, I got food poisoning from eating fish that went bad due to power cuts, but never had problems eating Tibs or any of the other dishes served on injera.

I love injera too, but admittedly I prefer savoury flavours to sweet so that might be part of it.

Similar flavour to German rye bread you get in Aldi but not as strong.

I had a deep fried full fish also in AA. It didn’t look great but taste was ok. The dishes there can be very spicey with a lot of green chilies.
    I’m not a big fan of the communal injera eating, I hate sharing dishes with others.
    But I liked AA and I would go back there for the coffee and beer alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Lol!

I wasn't mad about it either. Is it more of a transport pallet for the good food?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Is it more of a transport pallet for the good food?

It's mainly supposed to be used to pick up food alright (but also catching the juices from the stew)

Advertisement