Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethiopian Restaurant?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

This is great news! It really is amazing food, I ate like a king travelling around Ethiopia ... shiro wot with injera being my favourite.

Heres hoping its a total success and we get a full restaurant (and maybe some St George beers :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Is it very spicy food? Mrs G! has issues with too hot. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it very spicy food? Mrs G! has issues with too hot. :(

I didn't find it terribly spicy, but I'm sure they can adjust it if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

spurious wrote: »
    I didn't find it terribly spicy, but I'm sure they can adjust it if needs be.

Booked it regardless. Really looking forward to it, mostly because of the recommendations here! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The thing is, you get lots of different dishes, so if one is too spicy, she can just eat the other ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭AhhHere

Excited to try!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The thing is, you get lots of different dishes, so if one is too spicy, she can just eat the other ones.

I was a little underwhelmed! Such a nice, welcoming, friendly and charismatic woman. I think we surprised her with five of us turning up, I get the impression she'd like a warning before rocking up. I'll do so next time before leaving a review here.

Thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,657 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I was a little underwhelmed! Such a nice, welcoming, friendly and charismatic woman. I think we surprised her with five of us turning up, I get the impression she'd like a warning before rocking up. I'll do so next time before leaving a review here.

Thanks for the recommendation.

She was probably more surprised because the Ethiopian pop-up isn't opening until August? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

mrcheez wrote: »
    She was probably more surprised because the Ethiopian pop-up isn't opening until August? :confused:

He's talking about the Eritrean restaurant in Athlone that has been discussed quite a lot on this thread.

He's talking about the Eritrean restaurant in Athlone that has been discussed quite a lot on this thread.

ah right, seemed a bit out of context as the conversation for last 2 pages was related to the Dublin pop-up

• Advertisement

ah right, seemed a bit out of context as the conversation for last 2 pages was related to the Dublin pop-up

Think he was just replying to the first message he saw from the last person to recommend it.

Yes, as I said the best way for the Athlone one is to give her notice. It's not the sort of cooking you can fling together in half an hour. If she knows you are coming, she will have the slow cooking going on - and the fermentation going on for the injera.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Ha, I came to post about the pop up too. Hope it turns out well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

On Sunday, I booked it for the first night. At that time there were loads of free seats for all four nights bar the first Saturday. I see now that it's now sold out for five nights - I'm guessing an article in lovindublin suddenly gave them a big sales boost. Good for them!

ixoy wrote: »
    On Sunday, I booked it for the first night. At that time there were loads of free seats for all four nights bar the first Saturday. I see now that it's now sold out for five nights - I'm guessing an article in lovindublin suddenly gave them a big sales boost. Good for them!

indeed
    things like this book out well in advance in Dublin.

Anything quirky will always sell out quickly in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,572 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yeah! Sorry if I wasn't clear!! I was talking about the Athlone one (on the Dublin thread)!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

John_Rambo wrote: »
    [

Yeah! Sorry if I wasn't clear!! I was talking about the Athlone one (on the Dublin thread)!!

So what happens if you just rock up? Even with two people. Is it just regular stuff like sanguidges on the menu or is there at least a few curries or something? I'm not expecting a 5 hour coffee ceremony or anything.

So what happens if you just rock up? Even with two people. Is it just regular stuff like sanguidges on the menu or is there at least a few curries or something? I'm not expecting a 5 hour coffee ceremony or anything.

She would have some stuff on standby for the occasional visitor but she would be the first to tell you it is all much better if she knows when you are coming and she can prepare from fresh to order.

I suggested to her to do one of those AirBnB 'experiences' where she would know in advance who was coming.

She would have some stuff on standby for the occasional visitor but she would be the first to tell you it is all much better if she knows when you are coming and she can prepare from fresh to order.

I suggested to her to do one of those AirBnB 'experiences' where she would know in advance who was coming.

Kinda odd setup for a restaurant, or is that process normal in Athlone?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's basically a cafe that happens to be run by an Eritrean chef. Bulk of its business is normal Irish food.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    It's basically a cafe that happens to be run by an Eritrean chef. Bulk of its business is normal Irish food.

Ah makes sense. So the pop up in Dublin is the first purpose-made Eritrean/Ethiopian setup?

There is also a market stall in Cork. Is there a market called Mahon down there? I know that woman was hoping to get a spot in Dun Laoghaire People's Park this summer, I don't know how it worked out.

Re the Athlone place. She has the Eritrean food on her regular menu, but I'm guessing other than the coffee, it wasn't really a big seller in Athlone for lunch, so she has some on standby, but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

There is also a market stall in Cork. Is there a market called Mahon down there? I know that woman was hoping to get a spot in Dun Laoghaire People's Park this summer, I don't know how it worked out.

Re the Athlone place. She has the Eritrean food on her regular menu, but I'm guessing other than the coffee, it wasn't really a big seller in Athlone for lunch, so she has some on standby, but not much.

yes - Mahon Point is a shopping centre in Cork and they have a farmers market on Wednesdays I think

Was in gursha tonight. Food is fantastic. Well worth the trip. Anyone on the fence, book now!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Was in gursha tonight. Food is fantastic. Well worth the trip. Anyone on the fence, book now!
    Yep did it last week (we were the first meal served on the first night!) and we both really liked it. We got seconds! Stuffed afterwards but very pleased.

Did they mention anything about setting up a permanent restaurant?

Did they mention anything about setting up a permanent restaurant?

I was chatting to an extremely pleasant and courteous young man, himself and his sister set up the enterprise with the help of family and friends.
    He said their current plan is to run the weekend supper clubs for approximately 6 months and see how it goes with a long term plan to eventually opening somewhere if they think the demand is there.
    They hope that between the small Ethiopian population in the city and the exposure their pop-up provides they will be able to have a viable business.

I really do hope they go for it, I enjoyed tonight immensely.

Side note, when I last checked today, the Friday and Saturday supper club nights were booked out until November 15th!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,497 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Side note, when I last checked today, the Friday and Saturday supper club nights were booked out until November 15th!

There is a two page spread in todays Saturday Independent magazine about the popup restaurant... but sounds like they dont need the publicity!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There is a two page spread in todays Saturday Independent magazine about the popup restaurant... but sounds like they dont need the publicity!

Was it advertised anywhere? Only way I knew about it was through this thread.

Advertisement