Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

There should be a button on remote might be called list?click on that should bring up your mounted listed devices to see all recordings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

i have that box, look at the blue epg button its below exit button, you will see play list. press that and voila.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ph3arTh35k1llz

swoofer wrote: »
    i have that box, look at the blue epg button its below exit button, you will see play list. press that and voila.

Thanks greasepalm & swoofer for that! Have been using a harmony one remote from the start so will look at assigning that command!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

Curious to know is there anyway to have 2 boxes share a harddrive or map a network drive between two so if both boxes had their own hard drives they appear as one hardrive.

I have box in kitchen which is my main box
    I'd like to get a second box for living room and I'd like to be able to watch recordings made in the kitchen box in the living room (a file share would take care of this)

I'd also like to be able to set recordings via the box in living room so if I set something to record in living room it would go to a shared drive.

Or if there was way to have a master box where the box in kitchen does recordings, but the box in living room allows to set up the recordings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

john_doe. wrote: »
    Curious to know is there anyway to have 2 boxes share a harddrive or map a network drive between two so if both boxes had their own hard drives they appear as one hardrive.

I'd like to get a second box for living room and I'd like to be able to watch recordings made in the kitchen box in the living room (a file share would take care of this)

I'd also like to be able to set recordings via the box in living room so if I set something to record in living room it would go to a shared drive.

Or if there was way to have a master box where the box in kitchen does recordings, but the box in living room allows to set up the recordings?

I have my Tiviar hard drive mapped to another Edison OS Nino box. I can watch what I record on the Tiviar. It's pretty easy. To access the drive.... Menu ->setup ->system ->network ->mounts setup ->network browser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Follow the link https://wiki.openpli.org/MountManager , It works like a charm .It works for openatv as well

I have my Tiviar hard drive mapped to another Edison OS Nino box. I can watch what I record on the Tiviar. It's pretty easy. To access the drive.... Menu ->setup ->system ->network ->mounts setup ->network browser

Thanks , is there any way to set recordings from one box to another via the EPG.

Let's say I have my main box (box 1) hooked up with a hardrive.

I'm browsing EPG on second box (box2) and I see something I want to send to record on box 1.

I can record via phone at moment and prob through a web interface.
    Interested to know if something like this was possible however.

Thanks , is there any way to set recordings from one box to another via the EPG.

I'm browsing EPG on second box (box2) and I see something I want to send to record on box 1.

Not that I know of. You are better to just use an app with a profile for each box.

Not used that scenario but i would imagine you need to setup your recordings to use on other box via first box.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Haven't found anything like this yet. You can use the web interface from any web browser on your network to set timers, browse EPG, stream live or recorded etc. I have 2 boxes with fixed network addresses so I have them bookmarked in my browsers.

• Advertisement

From a thread by grog68 many thanks.

I've been asked how I've set up my two boxes too share one usb hard drive so that recordings can be viewed on either box so thought I would start a new thread.

I have 2 zgemma h2s boxes with wooshbuild 4.001 installed so my instructions are based on that but I assume other builds will be similar.

Box one is wooshbuilds standard setup with a usb hdd plugged into the back and mounted as /media/hdd, all recordings, timeshift and epg data etc is stored on the hdd. Nothing special.

Box 2 has wooshbuild 4.001 standard set up but with just a usb memory stick plugged in the back and mounted at /media/hdd and timeshift and epg data is stored on here as normal.

Now on box 1, I have turned off dhcp in network settings, Menu -> Setup -> System -> Network -> Device Setup -> Adaptor Settiings -> Use DHCP - NO, then green button to save. Exit out of the menu system and your network will restart. This gives your box 1 a permanent IP address so there is no chance of it changing if the box is rebooted.

Now on Box 2 you need to do the following:

Mount HDD thats on box 1 :

Menu -> Setup -> System -> Network -> Mounts Setup -> Mount Manager -> Network Browser, this should scan your network and you should see box1 on the list. Scroll down to box1 and click OK, select no when asked if a password is needed (even if you have password on box 1)

You should then see two items under your box1 entry, highligh HardDrive and click ok.again click no when asked if password is required. You will no see Mount Editor.

Go down each item, as you can see in the image below I have 'Mount using' set to FSTAB.

networkdrivesettings.jpg
    Scroll down and you will be asked for username and password, username is root, if you dont have a password on your box1 (default) then leave password blank, then press green button to save. Keep pressing exit until you return to tv.

Now go Menu -> Setup -> Recordings and Timeshift -> Recording Settings. With Default movie location highlighted press OK. HIghlight Parent Directory and press OK, then highlight List of Storage devices as press OK again. Now highlight your network drive HarddiskZGEMMAH2S (maybe slightly different) and press OK. Scroll down to movie and press OK once again and then press Blue button to add it as a bookmark and then green button.

Now with Default movie location highlighted use left and right arrows and select /media/net/HarddiskZGEMMAH2S/movie and press green button to save.

Now exit back to TV screen.

Still on box 2 press green button to get plugin list up, scroll down to Movie Organisor and click OK. Use arrow keys to change enabled to no and press green button.

Press 'File List' on remote of box2 and highlight .. and press OK, repeat this until you get a alist of hdd, net, autofs. Highlight net and press OK button. Scroll down to the network drive and press OK again, highlight movie and press OK once again. You should now see all of the recordings on the hdd connected to box 1. Press exit until you get back to TV screen

I personally restart box 2 just to make sure all network settings are set, but I dont know if this is needed.

You should now be watch recordings on either box, as well as recordings made on either box will be stored in the same place.

Hope this help

greasepalm wrote: »
    From a thread by grog68 many thanks.

I've been asked how I've set up my two boxes too share one usb hard drive so that recordings can be viewed on either box so thought I would start a new thread.

I have 2 zgemma h2s boxes with wooshbuild 4.001 installed so my instructions are based on that but I assume other builds will be similar.

Box one is wooshbuilds standard setup with a usb hdd plugged into the back and mounted as /media/hdd, all recordings, timeshift and epg data etc is stored on the hdd. Nothing special.

Box 2 has wooshbuild 4.001 standard set up but with just a usb memory stick plugged in the back and mounted at /media/hdd and timeshift and epg data is stored on here as normal.

Now on box 1, I have turned off dhcp in network settings, Menu -> Setup -> System -> Network -> Device Setup -> Adaptor Settiings -> Use DHCP - NO, then green button to save. Exit out of the menu system and your network will restart. This gives your box 1 a permanent IP address so there is no chance of it changing if the box is rebooted.

Now on Box 2 you need to do the following:

Mount HDD thats on box 1 :

Menu -> Setup -> System -> Network -> Mounts Setup -> Mount Manager -> Network Browser, this should scan your network and you should see box1 on the list. Scroll down to box1 and click OK, select no when asked if a password is needed (even if you have password on box 1)

You should then see two items under your box1 entry, highligh HardDrive and click ok.again click no when asked if password is required. You will no see Mount Editor.

Go down each item, as you can see in the image below I have 'Mount using' set to FSTAB.

networkdrivesettings.jpg
    Scroll down and you will be asked for username and password, username is root, if you dont have a password on your box1 (default) then leave password blank, then press green button to save. Keep pressing exit until you return to tv.

Now go Menu -> Setup -> Recordings and Timeshift -> Recording Settings. With Default movie location highlighted press OK. HIghlight Parent Directory and press OK, then highlight List of Storage devices as press OK again. Now highlight your network drive HarddiskZGEMMAH2S (maybe slightly different) and press OK. Scroll down to movie and press OK once again and then press Blue button to add it as a bookmark and then green button.

Now with Default movie location highlighted use left and right arrows and select /media/net/HarddiskZGEMMAH2S/movie and press green button to save.

Now exit back to TV screen.

Still on box 2 press green button to get plugin list up, scroll down to Movie Organisor and click OK. Use arrow keys to change enabled to no and press green button.

Press 'File List' on remote of box2 and highlight .. and press OK, repeat this until you get a alist of hdd, net, autofs. Highlight net and press OK button. Scroll down to the network drive and press OK again, highlight movie and press OK once again. You should now see all of the recordings on the hdd connected to box 1. Press exit until you get back to TV screen

I personally restart box 2 just to make sure all network settings are set, but I dont know if this is needed.

You should now be watch recordings on either box, as well as recordings made on either box will be stored in the same place.

Hope this help

Thanks , I found the same post last night when I went looking :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

Out of interest why did you quote the whole post and not just click the thanks button?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 funky sausage

Lads, where are you buying this box from?? Sorry for not searching, best place to get latest image??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Lads, where are you buying this box from?? Sorry for not searching, best place to get latest image??

Most of us got the box from World of Satellite.

In terms of image, it really depends on what you want to do. If you want a receiver that you can heavily customize, and are willing to put in the work/learning to do this, then the standard image from WoS will be fine. I used OpenATV, but others use OpenVix.

If you’re main interest is a box that you can plug in and use, with as little effort as possible, there is an image made by THHB, that you can flash, the link is given at the start of this thread.

If you want a box for family use, that is as simple as possible to use, you might consider the image I made. There is a lot of information on what it offers, on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭annetcl

Hi all

Been reading this thread with interest. I am planning to get FTA to replace my cancelled virgin media subscription at my new build. I was initially thinking of the Ariva 153 but it appears the Tiviar maybe a better bet in terms of functionality. Just wondering if anyone here can clarify a few queries i have if i were to choose the Tiviar:

I currently do not have a satellite dish therefore i would need to get an installer in - i got a quote of him for a standard no frills combo box + the satellite install but i want the option to be able to record so he suggested i get whatever box i want myself and he can just charge me for the satellite installation cost. From reading the thread it would appear that i would need to flash the Tiviar using HTTB's image prior to the satellite install so that the installer can just plug and play when the satellite install is complete to ensure that there is signal going into the box?

Reading the flash guide it appears that i should be able to do it without even plugging it to the tv, i.e. just powering up the box and following the prompts from the display in front of the receiver will suffice?

Also the troubleshooting section of the flash guide it mentions that "if the receiver bypasses the flash and boots into an existing image".....just in case this happens to me, how do i tell if the receive boots into an existing image? does this mean i need to plug the box to the tv to be able to look out for this?

Sorry for the noob question, this is all very new to me so any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

If anyone wants this receiver, €135 with 8gig USB stick. I am in Drogheda and work in D15 so can meet there as well.

Bought from WoS.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭doogb

Do anyone know how to install "Catch Up TV" on OpenATV that is mentioned in the other post with the OpenVix image ?

Thanks in advance

doogb wrote: »
    Do anyone know how to install "Catch Up TV" on OpenATV that is mentioned in the other post with the OpenVix image ?

Thanks in advance

I think you are refering to the IPTV player.
    Since openATV 6.2 you can add it under PLUGINS> DOWNLOAD PLUGIN (green button) > EXTENSIONS> E2IPLAYER. Keep hitting OK as requested during the install.

• Advertisement

Thanks in advance

The E2i Player supports catch up tv, as shown here.

That image is based on OpenATV 6.2, and I just downloaded the Player, using package management in advanced software management settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭doogb

Got it loaded after upgrading to OpenATV 6.2, thanks Gerry Wicklow and NewClareman for mentioning it in your posts.

Got it loaded after upgrading to OpenATV 6.2, thanks Gerry Wicklow and NewClareman for mentioning it in your posts.

Glad you got sorted.

With the Dream Player for Android TV app you can add a bouquet from your Tiviar to live channels in Android TV on your Shield or Mibox. It even has homescreen channels so you can have any of your bouquets with picons laid out on the homescreen

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.cyberdream.dreamepg.tv.player

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

Having a sound problem and wondering if anyone else has experienced similar & if they have, did they resolve issue.

Tiviar box had been functioning perfectly but over past 24 hours I'm finding that some of the channels have normal sound volume whereas others have very low sound and I then have to greatly increase sound volume when watching them
    Then if I change to a 'normal sound' channel it is deafening until I reduce sound etc.

Can anyone help or offer advice please?

logonmar wrote: »
    Having a sound problem and wondering if anyone else has experienced similar & if they have, did they resolve issue.

Tiviar box had been functioning perfectly but over past 24 hours I'm finding that some of the channels have normal sound volume whereas others have very low sound and I then have to greatly increase sound volume when watching them
    Then if I change to a 'normal sound' channel it is deafening until I reduce sound etc.

Can anyone help or offer advice please?

Try SETUP>AUDIO>BASIC SETTINGS
    there should be a setting for auto audio levelling

• Registered Users Posts: 37 aka7

Started to play with my new Tiviar (no internal HD) this weekend using image from The high horse brigade. Thanks for sharing it.

My understanding was that I have to initialise any external storage added. In the menu, SETUP>SYSTEM sometimes I could see STORAGE DEVICES, others not. A bit confused on this part.

Got several reboots soon after I added: internet cable, blank USB stick (format32) and a external hard drive.
    I think that particular USB was the reason, it seemed to have stopped after removing it.
    Anybody had similar rebooting experience ?

Can a (good) USB stick be used for time shifting and recording or it has to be a hard drive?

Also tried to test the external 1TB. As far as I can tell the initialisation was completed.
    Time shifting seems to work most of the time. Sometimes I just the X, more likely soon after I mess around with recording.

Tried to test recording, it appeared the recording was ongoing but then could not find anything listed using Play list.

So since I can currently play/pause/fwd/rewind, can I assume the hard drive is used ? Or is it possible that the relatively small amounts of recordings tried so far is done on some internal memory or storage?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭eddie

I think you are refering to the IPTV player.
    Since openATV 6.2 you can add it under PLUGINS> DOWNLOAD PLUGIN (green button) > EXTENSIONS> E2IPLAYER. Keep hitting OK as requested during the install.

I am using the excellent --> The High Horse OpenTV 6.1 and the IPTV will not load, is there a version for 6.1 >?

As I have all the settings setup how I want..I am reluctant to change to OpenTV 6.2 and mess everything up.....

Eddie

eddie wrote: »
    I am using the excellent --> The High Horse OpenTV 6.1 and the IPTV will not load, is there a version for 6.1 >?

As I have all the settings setup how I want..I am reluctant to change to OpenTV 6.2 and mess everything up.....

Eddie

Did you also install the dependency plugins?

• Advertisement

eddie wrote: »

Eddie

If you press the BLUE button there is a menu including the option to backup your settings. You can also do a full backup. I strongly recommend you do both. Backing up your settings only takes a few seconds but can save many hours of swearing. A full backup takes just a few minutes.
    Once done, there is also an update option which will scan your system and advise of any updates available. It is a good idea to run this occasionally too. If you're not happy you can always restore your current setup from here.

(On some images you have to select MENU>SETUP>SOFTWARE MANAGEMENT to get to the same menu.)

By it's nature, the IPTV links change over time and need to be updated.

Advertisement