Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Sorry my mistake:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Fri 5 Sep vs Edinburgh
    Fri 19 Sep vs Zebre
    Sat 27 Sep vs Ospreys

Fri 10 Oct vs Scarlets
    Fri 28 Nov vs Ulster
    Fri 26 Dec vs Leinster

Munster home games in the Pro12 that have been confirmed. All those Fridays are a bollix, I'm sure there are quite a few people with a season ticket who don't live close to Limerick who are pretty annoyed right now.

On the first 14 matches it looks like 10 will be televised.

Will be working overtime during the week to leave Cork early on Fridays :/

Oh well the rugby is nearly back :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Munster home games in the Pro12 that have been confirmed. All those Fridays are a bollix, I'm sure there are quite a few people with a season ticket who don't live close to Limerick who are pretty annoyed right now.

On the first 14 matches it looks like 10 will be televised.

Think I remember Garrett Fitzgerald being critical of late kick off times on Saturdays but those Friday times are even worse for anyone working 9-5 Monday to Friday. Whatever about the rush to even make it up, not sure many coming from Cork say would fancy the drive up and down after a day at work.

Didn't really pay much attention at the time but presume Sky have exclusive rights to whatever games they have? RTE won't be showing any presumably?

That and BT and Sky splitting the rights for the Champions Cup isn't exactly the best for fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Eod100 wrote: »
    Think I remember Garrett Fitzgerald being critical of late kick off times on Saturdays but those Friday times are even worse for anyone working 9-5 Monday to Friday. Whatever about the rush to even make it up, not sure many coming from Cork say would fancy the drive up and down after a day at work.

I think it's clear that pushing as many games as they can to Friday means less clashes with other sports on TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,353 ✭✭✭✭phog

The Zebre match isn't even televised and it's still on Friday. That's bull****.

And it clashes with Connacht v Leinster on TV, why the Munster game couldn't have been moved to Saturday is mind boggling.

Anyone more than an hour or so away from Thomond will find it hard to get there for a Friday evening game.

I see the Leinster game is set for St Stephen's Day at 17:00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

phog wrote: »
    And it clashes with Connacht v Leinster on TV, why the Munster game couldn't have been moved to Saturday is mind boggling.

Anyone more than an hour or so away from Thomond will find it hard to get there for a Friday evening game.

I see the Leinster game is set for St Stephen's Day at 17:00.

The whole thing is pretty stupid, if not scandalous for season ticket holders. A lot people on the fence about buying a season ticket now will probably be put off. At least in Ulster the Friday night match at Ravenhill is an ongoing tradition and if buy a season ticket there you know that you need to be available to go on Friday nights.

Do the broadcasters have any say about the day/time of matches they aren't broadcasting? I would probably lay blame at Celtic Rugby for this.

Clashing with an interpro is ****ing dumb as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

The Zebre match isn't even televised and it's still on Friday. That's bull****.

This must be coming from Munster themselves, a marketing thing to make Friday nights rugby night?

This must be coming from Munster themselves, a marketing thing to make Friday nights rugby night?

At some point the home and away Zebre fixture was switched. I don't know why but it may have been too late to change other details.

Possibly, they need to hurry up to say that if it's the case! I don't think it would suit though.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Friday nights suit Ulster cause most fans come from Belfast or not too far ourside it. Those with more than 30 mins to travel would be in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

its most certainly not coming from Munster.

its most certainly not coming from Munster.

Who else would be dictating the schedule of non-televised matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It's likely the Treviso away game will be on the Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Who else would be dictating the schedule of non-televised matches?

At the start of each season when the fixtures are being arranged Munster submit their preferred home kick off time and a litany of reasons not to have games on Fridays. The comp organisers and TV companies are the decision makers and Munster are not happy with the current Pro12 fixtures.

Garrett Fitzgerald has spoken very openly in the past about Munster not wanting home fixtures on a Friday night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The Leinster games are very close this year...October and December. Any logic behind that one :confused: Usually it's one October and one in March/April. Not loving the 5.30 on St. Stephen's Day...would expect manic traffic around Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

athtrasna wrote: »
    The Leinster games are very close this year...October and December. Any logic behind that one :confused: Usually it's one October and one in March/April. Not loving the 5.30 on St. Stephen's Day...would expect manic traffic around Limerick.
    It breaks up Ulster always having Munster and Leinster at Christmas/New Years and with Leinster getting both Munster and Ulster at Christmas/New Years we get Leinster games close enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

athtrasna wrote: »

Yes strange! They usually had them before a round of H/Cup didn't they?

I know the one in the Aviva is the weekend before the European Cup this year but around Stephens day was usually Connacht/Ulster games.

Not mad about St.Stephens day for the big game and can't see a whole pile travelling from Leinster! Thomond is a cold spot on a good day, a frosty 26th of December will need to have some serious layers on after a day by the open fire on the 25th!

As said Friday night games is a pain coming from Cork. I'm lucky I can work up the hours and leave early friday but herself is also a season ticket holder and it will be touch and go most fridays for her getting out before 5 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Yes strange! They usually had them before a round of H/Cup didn't they?

I know the one in the Aviva is the weekend before the European Cup this year but around Stephens day was usually Connacht/Ulster games.

Not mad about St.Stephens day for the big game and can't see a whole pile travelling from Leinster! Thomond is a cold spot on a good day, a frosty 26th of December will need to have some serious layers on after a day by the open fire on the 25th!

As said Friday night games is a pain coming from Cork. I'm lucky I can work up the hours and leave early friday but herself is also a season ticket holder and it will be touch and go most fridays for her getting out before 5 :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Precisely! We usually played Leinster the week before the Heineken Cup QF.

I agree re the Friday games. I'm Dublin based and this year opted for a Musgrave Park only ST as it's less of a waste of money if I don't get to the games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I didn't renew my season ticket and I'm glad I didn't after seeing that fixture list, family commitments mean that I wouldn't be able to make a single one of the matches on a Friday evening.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's definitely odd as I'd argue that Munster have the most spread out regular support of any of the provinces.

If you had bought a season ticket and you had a bit of a hike to Thomond you'd be furious right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I love rugby on a friday night, and with work a regular 9-5 gig, I can work an extra half hour on the weekdays to get off early friday evening...

And sure If I can´t, off to the pub for me...

It´s good to see the fixtures out, well done Guinness and the Pro12... and its not a fustercluck like the new super duper nigels european cup...

At the start of each season when the fixtures are being arranged Munster submit their preferred home kick off time and a litany of reasons not to have games on Fridays. The comp organisers and TV companies are the decision makers and Munster are not happy with the current Pro12 fixtures.

Garrett Fitzgerald has spoken very openly in the past about Munster not wanting home fixtures on a Friday night

The TV companies wouldn't care about a non-televised fixture. If anything, TG4 wouldn't want a Munster game on the Friday night clashing with their coverage of Connacht v Leinster. The "comp organisers" of the Pro12 are the clubs themselves, the central decision making body is almost non-existant.

So, for the Zebre game at least, it doesn't stack up that the Friday KO was foisted upon Munster. For the other Friday games, yes, TG4 are doing coverage on Fridays so it's a choice of Friday games or no TV...

TBH, it might be no harm. Crowds have been declining, maybe shaking it up might help?

The TV companies wouldn't care about a non-televised fixture. If anything, TG4 wouldn't want a Munster game on the Friday night clashing with their coverage of Connacht v Leinster. The "comp organisers" of the Pro12 are the clubs themselves, the central decision making body is almost non-existant.

So, for the Zebre game at least, it doesn't stack up that the Friday KO was foisted upon Munster. For the other Friday games, yes, TG4 are doing coverage on Fridays so it's a choice of Friday games or no TV...

TBH, it might be no harm. Crowds have been declining, maybe shaking it up might help?

Why do you think Munster would want the game on a Friday evening if they have previously complained about Friday evening KOs.

Anyone that works 9-5 would need to be within about an hour of Limerick to make a Friday evening game, that rules out most people living west of Ennis, north of Nenagh, East of Tipperary and South of Foynes, Newcastle west & Charleville and certainly the 2nd biggest city in the 26 counties.

Why do you think Munster would want the game on a Friday evening if they have previously complained about Friday evening KOs.

I have absolutely no idea, this is total speculation on my part, I'm just saying it can't be parked at the door of the TV companies when the game isn't even on TV...

Previous complaints referred to big Heineken Cup games and the traffic chaos which ensued, probably not an issue for the Zebre match :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Munster aren't the only team involved in the game. There is an Italian team playing on most Fridays from what I can see, and it could be that Friday games are more attractive to potential Italian broadcasters if they don't clash with the calcio.

There are many reasons that could possibly dictate this, maybe they're testing the water with a lesser fixture to see how crowds react etc.

There are many reasons that could possibly dictate this, maybe they're testing the water with a lesser fixture to see how crowds react etc.

testing the water for what?

Munster had 5 home games on a Friday night last year and now the majority of the games are again fixed for Friday.

They got one game not on a Friday night

in any examination, that's a pain in the hole

btw Zebre have one home game on a Friday night, and Trevisos have none although they have to be finalised

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Riskymove wrote: »
    testing the water for what?

Munster had 5 home games on a Friday night last year and now the majority of the games are again fixed for Friday.

They got one game not on a Friday night

in any examination, that's a pain in the hole

btw Zebre have one home game on a Friday night, and Trevisos have none although they have to be finalised

We had 1 game on a Friday last season, against Connacht on Dec 27th. All the other 10 games were on Saturdays and attendances were still poor. Maybe they're trying something different this season, because people still complained about KO times last season.

We had 1 game on a Friday last season, against Connacht on Dec 27th. All the other 10 games were on Saturdays and attendances were still poor. Maybe they're trying something different this season, because people still complained about KO times last season.

apologies the A games were listed in the same fixture list and I didn't notice

I am not aware of issues about Saturday KO times (other than in the Leinster Thread about bringing kids) but I can tell you that Friday nights will make it very difficult for Munster. Of all the branches it has a significant level of support outside the immediate uirban area with limited transport options

I for one simply cannot take the time off to make so many games and will have to miss some of them

Just on the Friday ko issue, looking back at 12/13 season there were 74 matches on a Friday. Last season, there were 55. There's 31 announced so far this season so probably going to be in the 60s so seems about right.

Not sure if it explains it but Gerry Thornley is saying Sky wants so compete with BT Premiership games so is televising 8 of 16 matches at 2.40 on a Sat. Other 8 are on a Sat too. And leaving Friday broadcasts to terrestrial stations.

Looks like Sky will never be clashing with other Pro12 games as a result.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro12/sky-to-show-pro-12-leinster-versus-munster-tie-as-part-of-tv-deal-1.1893912

Munster aren't the only team involved in the game. There is an Italian team playing on most Fridays from what I can see, and it could be that Friday games are more attractive to potential Italian broadcasters if they don't clash with the calcio.

That's true and it is also a refixed fixture as it was originally listed to be an away game.

If there isn't a local broadcaster how will a potential Italian broadcaster rebroadcast it?

• Advertisement

I have absolutely no idea, this is total speculation on my part, I'm just saying it can't be parked at the door of the TV companies when the game isn't even on TV...

I dont know how you can say that it could simply be Sky wanting to try and keep Saturdays mainly for their Pro12 games.

It is interesting that Saturday matches are all Sky's and that they don't clash with any non-televised match. It makes sense from Sky's POV that their Saturday match/matches are standalone on that day. I suppose this is one of the concessions the Pro12 had to make in order to keep Sky from picking the big matches twice.

I think shaking it up has come in the form of the dynamic pricing model. Now we still don't know how much it will actually affect prices but ideally it will make the low demand matches cheaper and the high demand matches more expensive. It's risky but worth trying as to do nothing will continue the slide.

One positive for Munster this year as opposed to previous years is the quality of teams in their European group: Clermont, Saracens and Sale is by far a bigger 'draw' than Perpignan, Gloucester and Edinburgh, none of which sold out last year.

Friday nights are a disaster for a Dublin based supporter like myself. I wrongly assumed that there would still be Saturday night matches to accompany Sky's Saturday afternoon slot. I can't see myself taking too many days/half-days to go to see Munster vs Poor Opponent X when TP is only 1/3 full! I might go to the season opener versus Edinburgh but after that...

It is interesting that Saturday matches are all Sky's and that they don't clash with any non-televised match. It makes sense from Sky's POV that their Saturday match/matches are standalone on that day. I suppose this is one of the concessions the Pro12 had to make in order to keep Sky from picking the big matches twice.

Connacht v Dragons (no tv) clashes with Leinster v Glasgow (Sky). Also, I don't know why Munster couldn't have played it on Saturday evening.

But it doesn't matter. It's the Zebre game, only 7,000 turned up on a Saturday evening last season, can it really get any worse on a Friday?

Just looking at the fixtures again, is it to do with Musgrave Park not being available to play games that 6 of 7 Pro12 games to be played in TP will be from September to December? 4 in Sept and Oct and possibility of a European Cup match in TP on the 2nd last or last weekend of Oct too.

Presume Connacht will be the 7th match at TP which leaves Treviso, Cardiff Blues, Glasgow and Newport as the fixtures at Musgrave.

Connacht v Dragons (no tv) clashes with Leinster v Glasgow (Sky). Also, I don't know why Munster couldn't have played it on Saturday evening.

Guilty of a quick scan there, my bad...
    But it doesn't matter. It's the Zebre game, only 7,000 turned up on a Saturday evening last season, can it really get any worse on a Friday?

I'm not sure how many people are in the bracket of I'm getting to this Munster Pro12 match in Thomond no matter what.

I think shaking it up has come in the form of the dynamic pricing model. Now we still don't know how much it will actually affect prices but ideally it will make the low demand matches cheaper and the high demand matches more expensive. It's risky but worth trying as to do nothing will continue the slide.

One positive for Munster this year as opposed to previous years is the quality of teams in their European group: Clermont, Saracens and Sale is by far a bigger 'draw' than Perpignan, Gloucester and Edinburgh, none of which sold out last year.

Friday nights are a disaster for a Dublin based supporter like myself. I wrongly assumed that there would still be Saturday night matches to accompany Sky's Saturday afternoon slot. I can't see myself taking too many days/half-days to go to see Munster vs Poor Opponent X when TP is only 1/3 full! I might go to the season opener versus Edinburgh but after that...

But do you need to take that many half days? Leaving out Treviso you have Edinburgh in early September, Scarlets in early October and Ulster in late November. That's not exactly a punishing schedule for supporters to organise.

Just looking at the fixtures again, is it to do with Musgrave Park not being available to play games that 6 of 7 Pro12 games to be played in TP will be from September to December? 4 in Sept and Oct and possibility of a European Cup match in TP on the 2nd last or last weekend of Oct too.

Presume Connacht will be the 7th match at TP which leaves Treviso, Cardiff Blues, Glasgow and Newport as the fixtures at Musgrave.

Yeah. The new stand in Musgrave won't be ready until January. Not ideal, but can't really be helped.

Yeah. The new stand in Musgrave won't be ready until January. Not ideal, but can't really be helped.

Was gonna say it might sorta work out better for fans from Cork with better teams playing but don't think that's right. Might avoid going to games in cold winter nights in December anyway though! :P

You and a friend could win a trip to France to cheer on Anthony Foley's men as they take on Clermont Auvergne in the pool stages of the inaugural European Champions Cup. Prize includes match tickets, flights, transfers, accommodation and EUR150 spending money.

To enter simply tweet your name and hometown to #allmunster

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/18877.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Highlights of Group 1's Munster Race

http://vimeo.com/103179414

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭budhabob

Looks like some laugh in all fairness.

Must say I'm bit confused by Fitzgerald's statement on Friday evening kos as previously he criticised late kick-offs on Saturday when referring to 8pm games. The Friday evening games ko at 7.30 so there'll be hassle getting up to Limerick on time (if you're coming from Cork say) and still driving home late.. Get that he's probably trying to make the most of the situation but kinda contradicts previous comments he's made.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/18885.php#.U-u9M_ldXsY

He explains why the Zebre game is can Friday night KO

Despite the Round 3 Zebre encounter at Thomond Park not being televised, the game has still been scheduled for Friday September 19th - the Munster CEO explains why.

"We were advised at very late notice that the game would not be televised which in turn allowed the home team to determine the night and kick-off time of the game. We initially believed the game would take place in Italy, but as the fixtures are subject to change the game was reverted back to Limerick. This resulted in a clash with another event that was already timetabled for Thomond Park. Therefore the game could only go ahead on Friday evening

He explains why the Zebre game is can Friday night KO

Despite the Round 3 Zebre encounter at Thomond Park not being televised, the game has still been scheduled for Friday September 19th - the Munster CEO explains why.

"We were advised at very late notice that the game would not be televised which in turn allowed the home team to determine the night and kick-off time of the game. We initially believed the game would take place in Italy, but as the fixtures are subject to change the game was reverted back to Limerick. This resulted in a clash with another event that was already timetabled for Thomond Park. Therefore the game could only go ahead on Friday evening

Wonder what it was? Limerick FC's match seems to be scheduled for that Friday..

• Advertisement

I'd imagine its the conference suite that's booked rather than the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Limerick Masquerade Ball

http://www.carersireland.com/masqueradeball.php

Must say I'm bit confused by Fitzgerald's statement on Friday evening kos as previously he criticised late kick-offs on Saturday when referring to 8pm games. The Friday evening games ko at 7.30 so there'll be hassle getting up to Limerick on time (if you're coming from Cork say) and still driving home late.. Get that he's probably trying to make the most of the situation but kinda contradicts previous comments he's made.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/18885.php#.U-u9M_ldXsY

Sort of raises more questions than answers.

The stadium would be half full. Would it really impinge that much on the Ball?
    What about Limerick FC and their game?
    Why not Saturday afternoon or Sunday?

Edit: Sunday is all ireland final day so that's out.

The stadium would be half full. Would it really impinge that much on the Ball? The function room is used for hospitality on match days.
    What about Limerick FC and their game? They already tweeted that the game is to be moved
    Why not Saturday afternoon or Sunday? As above they wouldn't be able to turn around the function room in time.

The stadium would be half full. Would it really impinge that much on the Ball?
    What about Limerick FC and their game?
    Why not Saturday afternoon or Sunday?

Munster use the Conference Suite for their corporate tickets/meal for all the their games in Thomond Park.

Limerick FC can be/have been bumped for Munster fixtures.

Why not Saturday afternoon? it would probably have to early Saturday to give the conference suite to the Masquerade Ball organisers to allow them get the place ready.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement