Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think the emergence of Garry Ringrose as a potential star could be good news for Connacht. He might get opportunities in the Pro12 during the World Cup and if he comes good Leinster might forget about signing Henshaw. Plus Ben T'eo looks like a quality prospect. Then there's Madigan, Fitzgerald and Reid who can play in the centre. Ulster have centres coming out of their ears while Keith Earls is flourishing at 13 right now for Munster.

It might be the best use of resources for Team Ireland if Henshaw remains at Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I think the emergence of Garry Ringrose as a potential star could be good news for Connacht. He might get opportunities in the Pro12 during the World Cup and if he comes good Leinster might forget about signing Henshaw. Plus Ben T'eo looks like a quality prospect. Then there's Madigan, Fitzgerald and Reid who can play in the centre. Ulster have centres coming out of their ears while Keith Earls is flourishing at 13 right now for Munster.

It might be the best use of resources for Team Ireland if Henshaw remains at Connacht.

Are Munster not the ones supposedly sniffing after him now?
    They're one injury away with Earls from back to scraping the barrel, and Earls back on the wing would be nice from Munsters point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Leinster have never shown any interest in Henshaw.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Are Munster not the ones supposedly sniffing after him now?
    They're one injury away with Earls from back to scraping the barrel, and Earls back on the wing would be nice from Munsters point of view.

Munster have plenty wingers on the books so I'm not sure if Earls will be a full-time winger.
    Leinster have never shown any interest in Henshaw.

But the indo said it... :p

Blow your shmoke up someone else's hole for a bit! Leave the kid at at it.

• Advertisement

Bit harsh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Don't think it's smoke, the boy is going to be the real deal and the sooner Leinster start playing him the better. It's why I think Leinster dot need Henshaw, they've got their own homemade 13 who they can develop

• Registered Users Posts: 23,779 ✭✭✭✭phog

Not sure what to make of this - from the Indo

Concern as Connacht disband schools squad

Last Tuesday a meeting was held in Galway between the schools representatives and new Connacht domestic rugby manager Eric Elwood.

Those involved in running schools rugby were informed that, from next season, the CBIRFU will not be competing in the schools interprovincial series.

Inteead, they will be fielding one squad under the banner U-18s as part of the youths tournament.

Confirmation from the Connacht Branch followed, informing those on the ground voicing concerns which at least warrant debate, that "the decision the Branch have made at this time is to play under the banner of Connacht U-18 and play in the youths competition. An open mind will be kept to regularly review this situation"

While clearly the bottom-line objective is to do what is best for Connacht rugby going forward, it is the unnecessary haste surrounding this decision, without proper debate or notification, that rankles with those currently working on nursing the next generation of Robbie Henshaws through.

Timing is everything, we know, but that concern is heartfelt.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

phog wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of this - from the Indo
    It might be better for Connacht. They use the same squad in both the youths and schools competitions and with the IRFU wanting to move the youths interpros a few weeks earlier in the season its better for Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

Robbo wrote: »

Call me crazy but after reading that update I'm actually feeling a bit better about our chances against Munster. Assuming we get the players back that they expect, and no one else gets injured between here and then, touch wood grab a rabbits foot etc, then we will be able to field our 1st choice team minus Henshaw, and McSharry Aki is a great back up to be able to go to. Munster on the other hand will be missing O'Connell, O'Mahoney, maybe O'Donnell, Murray, Zebo and maybe Jones.

Obviously we still have to go to Thomand and that's a huge ask but maybe it's not the worst time for us to go there

b.gud wrote: »
    Call me crazy but after reading that update I'm actually feeling a bit better about our chances against Munster. Assuming we get the players back that they expect, and no one else gets injured between here and then, touch wood grab a rabbits foot etc, then we will be able to field our 1st choice team minus Henshaw, and McSharry Aki is a great back up to be able to go to. Munster on the other hand will be missing O'Connell, O'Mahoney, maybe O'Donnell, Murray, Zebo and maybe Jones.

Obviously we still have to go to Thomand and that's a huge ask but maybe it's not the worst time for us to go there

I'm not sure we will be missing all of those. We have no match the week after ( :( ) so the players will get a week off then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'm not sure we will be missing all of those. We have no match the week after ( :( ) so the players will get a week off then.

Good point this is kinda unchartered territory for Munster so kinda hard to know how this year will compare to last year but I would imagine that at least the ones who have/will have started all the games would be rested?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Who's going to Cardiff? Where's a good spot to go pre/post match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Robbo wrote: »
    After the weekend performance and with niyi out for 3 weeks I wouldn't be surprised to see a back line of toh, poolman, Finn, mcsharry, healy, ronaldson, cooney.

While Treviso may not be the best team in the pro12 last weekend probably saw some of the most fluent back line rugby all season with this combination of players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

ouncer wrote: »
    After the weekend performance and with niyi out for 3 weeks I wouldn't be surprised to see a back line of toh, poolman, Finn, mcsharry, healy, ronaldson, cooney.

While Treviso may not be the best team in the pro12 last weekend probably saw some of the most fluent back line rugby all season with this combination of players

Definitley not. Either Muliaina or Leader will start at 15 with the other on the bench. TOH moving to 14

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Definitley not. Either Muliaina or Leader will start at 15 with the other on the bench. TOH moving to 14

Disagree : Poolman 14, TOH 15, Leader 13
    Mils 23

12)McShazz
    13) Leader
    14) Poolman
    15) TOH
    23) Mils

or

12) Ronaldson
    13) McShazz
    14) Poolman
    15) Leader
    23) Mils/TOH

or

12) McSha
    13) Finn
    14) Poolman
    15) Leader
    23) Mils/TOH

or

12) McShazz
    13) Poolman
    14) TOH
    15) Leader
    23) Mils/Finn

which combo would be your choice?;)

connachta wrote: »
    12)McShazz
    13) Leader
    14) Poolman
    15) TOH
    23) Mils

or

12) Ronaldson
    13) McShazz
    14) Poolman
    15) Leader
    23) Mils/TOH

or

12) McSha
    13) Finn
    14) Poolman
    15) Leader
    23) Mils/TOH

or

12) McShazz
    13) Poolman
    14) TOH
    15) Leader
    23) Mils/Finn

Would seem the combos don't include Finn which I think is strange. I thought he was a breath of fresh air in the centre. In fact I thought he did great. Ah feic it, what would I know, or is my opinion so hugely grating on folks they would wish anything other than what I suggest☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

12)McShazz
    13) Leader
    14) Poolman
    15) TOH
    23) Mils

or

12) Ronaldson
    13) McShazz
    14) Poolman
    15) Leader
    23) Mils/TOH

or

12) McSha
    13) Finn
    14) Poolman
    15) Leader
    23) Mils/TOH

or

12) McShazz
    13) Poolman
    14) TOH
    15) Leader
    23) Mils/Finn

Healy
    McSharry
    Finn
    Poolman
    Leader

TOH

freyners wrote: »
    Healy
    McSharry
    Finn
    Poolman
    Leader

TOH

That's combo n°3:D

(I've never quoted n°11 because Healy is the obvious pick)

Poolman is the obvious choice for 14. Toh has not impressed at 14. So I fail to understand that choice. The only possible reason one might be of that opinion would be because dani needs to be at centre. And game after game he has been poor at centre. So even if conor had played badly last weekend at centre (which he didn't) how would it improve things having toh playing badly on the wing and dani playing badly in the centre

ouncer wrote: »
    Poolman is the obvious choice for 14. Toh has not impressed at 14. So I fail to understand that choice. The only possible reason one might be of that opinion would be because dani needs to be at centre. And game after game he has been poor at centre. So even if conor had played badly last weekend at centre (which he didn't) how would it improve things having toh playing badly on the wing and dani playing badly in the centre

Partly agree, but you did'nt give your opinion about Leader at 13 (Poolman winger, Mils/TOH FB)

Partly agree, but you did'nt give your opinion about Leader at 13 (Poolman winger, Mils/TOH FB)
    To be honest I go with freyners/my selection. I see darragh as a capable centre as dani is. Neither would be my choice. Conor is a centre by trade and a damm good one at that. You put him in the centre and then your best wingers are where they should be. So then its a toss-up (as I see it) whether you play darragh/mils/toh at full back. On that count I thought tiernan deserves the call as his running was incisive, his ball handling was faultless, his kicking was better than Craig's☺ and even when he was forced to leave the field it was not before he had his mits on the ball in the ruck that ensured Treviso had to give a penalty away for holding on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Healy
    McSharry
    Finn
    Poolman
    Leader

TOH

Harsh on TOH given that he put in 2 goods shifts. Maybe he could do with not starting given that he's just coming back from injury, but assuming he's good to go, I'd have either have Leader at 13 or keep Finn at 13 and Leader or Mils at 23.

Poolman is wasted in the centre so leave him and Healy on the wings anyway as much as possible to continue doing the damage they have been doing.

Padkir wrote: »
    Harsh on TOH given that he put in 2 goods shifts. Maybe he could do with not starting given that he's just coming back from injury, but assuming he's good to go, I'd have either have Leader at 13 or keep Finn at 13 and Leader or Mils at 23.

Poolman is wasted in the centre so leave him and Healy on the wings anyway as much as possible to continue doing the damage they have been doing.

E-XAC-TLY

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Padkir wrote: »

It is harsh but unfortunately someone has to be left out and leader is a better player in my opinion. we probably will see toh kept on the back of his recent displays and to ease leader back in but i would have leader as our 1st choice 15.

It is harsh but unfortunately someone has to be left out and leader is a better player in my opinion. we probably will see toh kept on the back of his recent displays and to ease leader back in but i would have leader as our 1st choice 15.

that's why we maybe should have both of them : Leader 13 TOH 15 or Leader 15 TOH 14. It depends if you prefer picking players on inner qualities and recent good shifts, even out of position OR a less experienced/talended player but used to play where he'll be assigned (Finn)

• Advertisement

I have only one bet in Cheltenham (which is faugheen). There are no guarantees no matter the sport. Week on week you won't win a game by some 50 points. But when you do then maybe you have found a combination worth trying next time out. Then we will all see if it was a fluke or correct combinations. All selections are week by week. Its one player this week, another next week. I still hope on my selection being the preferred but pats the man

Advertisement