Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I hope I don't jinx it :( but I stuck my camera on with 3M dual lock tape (kind of like velcro) last week and it's stayed put!! Much handier for me too with the bulky housing around the sensors on the windscreen because I didn't need leave to clearance to allow for cables or the button on the mount etc - I can just lift the while thing off as needed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

grogi wrote: »

Ye sorry meant step down.
    Just couldn't think of a name and said transformer:p

What you,ll need to hardwire a dash cam:
    1.2016 New Hot Car Boat Motorcycle Dual USB Car Charger DC 12V To 5V 3A Power Adapter for Iphone for Samsung LG
    http://s.aliexpress.com/n6feeyM3
    (from AliExpress Android)
    I like this one as it has 2 female USB connections so if like me you have a front and rear dash cam you just plug them in.
    If you have a dashcam with a male cigarette lighter connection you can get this:
    Car Cigarette Lighter Charger cable Female Socket Plug Connector Adapter hot selling
    http://s.aliexpress.com/JNbqURnU
    If you have a male cigarette lighter for your dashcam a step down isn't needed.
    2.fuse tap
    Add A Circuit Standard/Mini/Micro Blade Fuse Boxes Holder Piggy Back Fuses Tap
    http://s.aliexpress.com/BBvaY7V3
    Tools needed: snips(wire cutters),flat head screwdriver to take out the fuses
    Your best finding an ignition fuse(fuse which only receives power once the ignition is on) to save you turn on/off the dashcam manually when you get into the car.
    Easiest way to find an ignition fuse if you don't have a multimeter is to first connect the red cable from 12v to 5v step down or female cigarette lighter to the red cable on the fuse tap.
    To do this strip the red cable back to bare copper from the 12v to 5v step down or female cigarette lighter.
    Slide it into the blue casing on the fuse tap and crimp in down the snips. Pull at it to make sure its secure.
    Now connect the black cable from the step down or female cigarette lighter to a screw around the fuse box that's screwed onto metal,this will most likely be earthed as its part of the metal car.
    With all this done connect your dashcam to either the female cigarette lighter or USB on the step down.
    Now stick a fuse(I use a 5amp or 10amp) in the fuse tap,stick it in the fuse slot that's inline with the red cable. This will be the fuse for the dash cam.
    Now pull out a fuse in your fuse box and put the fuse taps fuse into where you took it out.
    If the dash can comes on straight away that means that fuse is constantly live and we don't want that one.
    So take out the fuse tap and put the old fuse back in,and do the same for another fuse.
    If your dashcam doesn't come on when you put the fuse tap in.
    Put your keys in the ignition turn it on so the lights on the dash turn on.
    If your dashcam comes and turns of when you pull your key out then great use that fuse.
    Get the fuse that was plugged in there originally and put it in the other slot of the fuse tap.
    And that's it your camera is hardwired and now all you need to do is run your cables neatly to the dashcam :D
    The only thing with buying a cheap step down like this one is sometimes it can interfere with your radio. But that doesn't matter me too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I bought a DDpai mini2 dash cam from the official DDpai shop on AliExpress. Also bought the hardwire kit and a 32gb sd card.

I fitted it yesterday. I hardwired it to the cigarette lighter in the centre console cubby hole as the wiring is very easily accessible for future removal if need be. I routed the wiring up under the dash, up inside the A-pillar and along the headliner to the rear view mirror so it's completely hidden except for approx 4" where it goes to the camera. Installation took roughly 1hr from start to finish.

First impressions are great. The DDpai app is easy and straight forward to use on iPhone and footage is clear and crisp. The camera is very neat and tidy and where I have attached it means it's completely hidden from my line of sight while driving.

Overall I'm very pleased with it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭techie

My Toledo is up for sale, already linked here in another thread:

http://www.adverts.ie/car/seat/toledo/2013-seat-toledo/13319394

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

http://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/corolla-verso/2002-toyota-corolla/13366490

My mom's car - She is actually depressed letting it go as she loved it. Its in great condition. Has built in boosters which is so handy for kids. Open to offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

http://www.adverts.ie/car/honda/accord/2006-honda-accord/12744539

my 2006 accord on LPG.
    diesel running costs, petrol comfort and maintenance costs.
    needs nothing, just need rid of it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

http://www.adverts.ie/car/hyundai/ix20/2011-hyundai-ix20-1-4-petrol-serviced-08-17-tax-02-18-nct-03-19/13416426

2011 Hyundai IX20 1.4 Petrol 88k km / 55k m
    Serviced: 08/17
    Tax: 02/18
    NCT: 03/19

€7,500

In need to raise the mortgage deposit up
    Might consider part-exchange for a cheap 4-door, small-engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭kay 9

http://www.adverts.ie/13607574
    My Honda civic 1.8 i-vtec Ses in excellent condition and very well cared for..
    2006 with nice extras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

silly wrote: »
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/corolla-verso/2002-toyota-corolla/13366490

My mom's car - She is actually depressed letting it go as she loved it. Its in great condition. Has built in boosters which is so handy for kids. Open to offers.

Just some feedback, the photos aren't great, and it's a Corolla Verso, so anyone looking for one of these won't find it as it's just down as a Corolla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a dash cam which can be used to monitor the vehicle when it is unattended (although not essential).
    Good night vision capability is a must.

I'd prefer something discrete. Don't really need/want the screen on it, as it seems like a distraction.

What are the options I've got here.

Not looking to spend big money here up to and around the €150 mark - if that is a reasonable sum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

My wife's '07 Mazda 6 Exec Sport so has some nice extras

NGEwYzU5ODg1MzgxZTBkNGQ2ODFlNDc1MTc3ODc4NGO69cGOu3s1vDkOciO3FT-MaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b184MDExNTcyMXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

http://www.adverts.ie/car/mazda/6/2007-mazda-6-exec-sport-nct-11-2018/13619191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Anyone looking for a 7 seater in superb condition with full service history?

http://www.adverts.ie/car/renault/grand-scenic/2010-renault-grand-scenic/13650082

IMG_20170729_142357_HDR_01.jpg

Full documented service history from new.
    Next service due October 2018.
    Bodywork and interior in near mint condition.
    Must be one of the best cared for examples around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

http://www.adverts.ie/car/bmw/3-series/2010-bmw-3-series/13660912?notification=5d72ec407672d92b791d7a9eb9158615-1503829700

My 2010 3 series is up for sale. If anyone has questions (or suggestions to better the ad) let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

does anyone know the best front and rear dashcam?
    is it any good at nighttime?
    what memory can it hold?
    can you turn off the mircophone?
    i do not what messy wires

Mr Snow wrote: »
    what memory can it hold?

Maybe give an indication of your budget? I'm using a Blackvue DR430-2CH that was €190 in Halfords. It's not top of the range but it's all I need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

tk123 wrote: »
    Maybe give an indication of your budget? I'm using a Blackvue DR430-2CH that was €190 in Halfords. It's not top of the range but it's all I need!

my budget is under 300

do you know much about the Lukas LK-7950

Mr Snow wrote: »
    what memory can it hold?

I use a xiaomi yi dash cam as my front dash cam. Brilliant quality day and night I think.
    I think it can be bought for like €60 on amazon atm?
    I use a Möbius action cam for the rear. Very convenient, as no screen so not blocking the rear window at all. Only a red light to tell you when its on.
    Good quality as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 xzid

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Selling my Seat Ibiza Cupra.

Absolutely love it. Going travelling. Sad to see it go!

Adverts.ie link

ZmRmOWUxZGNmYTgxZDA3M2Q3ZjhlOWMyZDYzMGQ2NTRAxD18AewonlIIzK2CPtvpaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vOWJkOGEzNmY5YTRiMzhkZGVlOTI1MmYyMzc1ODAxMGQzZDY4Y2UzNGFkMTkwYTlmOTVlNzc5NjAxOTVkMjZmZC5qcGd8fHx8fHw5ODB4NDU0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Fine

Have just brought a Zero Edge s3 dual camera system, 1080p front and rear.
    It saves the front and rear files as 2 separate files, so I'm looking for something that will merge the two files into one movie/avi file to show the view simultaneously, is there such a thing or when I post them to groups/youtube will I just have to stick with stitching them together sequentially?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fine wrote: »
    Have just brought a Zero Edge s3 dual camera system, 1080p front and rear.
    It saves the front and rear files as 2 separate files, so I'm looking for something that will merge the two files into one movie/avi file to show the view simultaneously, is there such a thing or when I post them to groups/youtube will I just have to stick with stitching them together sequentially?

you can do it in iMovie if you have a mac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nothing to lose at this price - less than €15 delivered;

https://www.dealrush.ie/offer/300014/ef-mall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Nothing to lose at this price - less than €15 delivered;

https://www.dealrush.ie/offer/300014/ef-mall

It will be **** and you will have lost €15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 PaddyRussell

I dont want to use my mini-usb power cable as its too chunky and I only have one cigarette lighter in the car.

Can I replace the mini-usb car charger with a mini-usb to usb and plug this into a dual usb car charger?

Will this power my dashcam? Many thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I dont want to use my mini-usb power cable as its too chunky and I only have one cigarette lighter in the car.

Can I replace the mini-usb car charger with a mini-usb to usb and plug this into a dual usb car charger?

Will this power my dashcam? Many thanks in advance.

There's no reason why that would not work for you. I have my 0806 powered like that.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Excellent.  Thanks.  I must get a 4m cable now!

Excellent.  Thanks.  I must get a 4m cable now!

I guess try to keep the overall length from power supply to camera as short as possible (i.e. if you could get away with 3m, it would be better than 4m), as I remember a similar topic came up way back in this thread about the power loss over USB cables when they get extended, or are over a certain length.

but having said that, USB cables are surely cheap as chips nowadays, so its probably just a case of getting one the desired length, and trying it out!

Thanks for the tip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

Is there any accepted method of safely passing the cables around an airbag? Its a 151 ford focus, the airbags are on the front and center door pillars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,149 ✭✭✭✭josip

I guess try to keep the overall length from power supply to camera as short as possible (i.e. if you could get away with 3m, it would be better than 4m), as I remember a similar topic came up way back in this thread about the power loss over USB cables when they get extended, or are over a certain length.

but having said that, USB cables are surely cheap as chips nowadays, so its probably just a case of getting one the desired length, and trying it out!

5m is your USB cable limit for a dashcam.
    Keyboards and mice have a 3m limit.
    As Andy said, shorter is safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Hi All,
    I currently have a Nextbase 412WG but one thing I dont like about it is the very wide angle.
    This morning I witnessed an accident on the M50 southbound. When I looked at my dashcam footage later, I noticed that the distance from me to the cars in front seemed a lot further in the video than in reality.

Are there any dashcams that dont have this type of 'distortion'? Is it a feature of the wide angle ~ 140 degrees?
    I guess my main concern is if somebody merges in very close in front of me and jams on for whatever reason, my dashcam footage might make it look that I should have had enough distance to stop.

viperirl wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I currently have a Nextbase 412WG but one thing I dont like about it is the very wide angle.
    This morning I witnessed an accident on the M50 southbound. When I looked at my dashcam footage later, I noticed that the distance from me to the cars in front seemed a lot further in the video than in reality.

Are there any dashcams that dont have this type of 'distortion'? Is it a feature of the wide angle ~ 140 degrees?
    I guess my main concern is if somebody merges in very close in front of me and jams on for whatever reason, my dashcam footage might make it look that I should have had enough distance to stop.

If they merge in a dangerous manner then the camera will capture that and if you make contact with their car then the perspective of distance is sort of irrelevant as the contact will also be captured. I wouldn't worry about it, if push came to shove then you can use the camera to whoever to demonstrate the distance if someone is alleging that they had plenty of room to merge in front office f you, i.e. Get the investigator to stand 3m in front if the car and record him/her and show it back to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

FYI: For anyone interested, I asked the Hydunai dealer where i purchased a 171 Tuscon the following:

1. Can I hardwire a dashcam myself to the fuseboard without any warranty issue.
    2. Do they offer this service themselves and if so how much.

There response:
    Thank you for your warranty query that has been passed for my attention

Unfortunately our dealers do not carry out alterations to the original manufacture specification and the warranty will not cover any failures attributed as a result of the modification

I trust this answers your query

TBH, I'm none the wiser if it does void the warranty or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

davo2001 wrote: »

It doesn't void the warranty. However, the warranty will not cover any issue caused by you connecting it.

davo2001 wrote: »
    FYI: For anyone interested, I asked the Hydunai dealer where i purchased a 171 Tuscon the following:

1. Can I hardwire a dashcam myself to the fuseboard without any warranty issue.
    2. Do they offer this service themselves and if so how much.

There response:

if you tapped into the stereo wiring and there was a subsequent problem with the stereo then the warranty wouldn't cover it as you had interfered with the factory wiring...so no it doesn't void your warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,149 ✭✭✭✭josip

If you've ever got to bring the car to get an electrical problem checked, just disconnect and remove the dashcam beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭jharr100

http://www.adverts.ie/13699119

Chevrolet Aveo 2012
    48k miles
    Service history
    Cruise
    Air con
    Mint !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭homingbird

Hi I am looking @ setting up a external rearview camera on my car as it not a DVR dash can I am looking to fin another way of recording the stream from it so I bought this device in hope I can use vlc to record stream on my phone will it work.
    https://m.gearbest.com/other-car-gadgets/pp_320477.html?wid=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Dash cams have a very wide angle and though this is good to catch everything outside the windscreen, it's also a problem because they catch everything, including rearview mirror brackets and shaded areas if you mount the canm on top of the windscreen. If mounted to a side and lower than the top it's in the way of sight of driver or passenger.
    So, which is the best spot to place the dash cam? Have you had to face the same problem?

Dash cams have a very wide angle and though this is good to catch everything outside the windscreen, it's also a problem because they catch everything, including rearview mirror brackets and shaded areas if you mount the canm on top of the windscreen. If mounted to a side and lower than the top it's in the way of sight of driver or passenger.
    So, which is the best spot to place the dash cam? Have you had to face the same problem?

It's really a case of whatever works for you and your car.

I mount dash cams out of sight (behind the rear view mirror), yes still don't catch any shaded areas or mirror brackets!!

So I'd guess its about finding that sweet spot on the windscreen to mount the camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

It's really a case of whatever works for you and your car.

I mount dash cams out of sight (behind the rear view mirror), yes still don't catch any shaded areas or mirror brackets!!

So I'd guess its about finding that sweet spot on the windscreen to mount the camera.

Agree here. I've never had an issue with shaded areas or the like. Maybe my dashcam hasn't been wide angled enough, but I've never had an issue and all i've done is mount it, turn on, and twist it on it's ball socket until I get rid of anything that's in the way and have it pointing generally in the right direction. Like AndyBoBany, behind the mirror out of the way is where I mount mine with cables tucked away. So many dash cams you see will have a trailing cables straight down the windscreen - They aren't that difficult to chase around the car surrounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

My Alfa Romeo 159. Selling because I expect to buy a Ford Galaxy for the wife and move into the Subaru Outback due to family needs. Will be my first time in over 10 years without an Alfa Have owned the card for around 3.5 years and hasn't missed a beat, but I have spent quite a bit of money maintaining it to a high standard with upgraded clutch, suspension and a remap as well as regular servicing.

Here's the ad with more details

http://www.adverts.ie/car/alfa-romeo/159/2006-alfa-romeo-159/13721684

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Many modern cars have a huge and massive rearview mirror bracket which also hosts the rain sensor and other things, so there could be not enough room to mount a cam behind the mirror.
    The option would be to mount it on the side of the mirror, but it would be in the line of sight of driver. The passenger's side has the problem that the top part of the windscreen isn't totally reached by the windscreen wiper, so the rain on the windscreen could impair the cam's vision.
    These are my experiences on a certain number of cars. None of them has ever had an easy and perfect spot for a cam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Many modern cars have a huge and massive rearview mirror bracket which also hosts the rain sensor and other things, so there could be not enough room to mount a cam behind the mirror.
    The option would be to mount it on the side of the mirror, but it would be in the line of sight of driver. The passenger's side has the problem that the top part of the windscreen isn't totally reached by the windscreen wiper, so the rain on the windscreen could impair the cam's vision.
    These are my experiences on a certain number of cars. None of them has ever had an easy and perfect spot for a cam.

Mine has this issue, so I just mounted it on the sensor housing itself, it's still directly behind the rearview mirror so not impeding driver view or the cam's vision either.

I had the same issue when I changed cars. I ended up using 3M dual lock tape which is like velcro. It let me mount the camera flush against the side of the housing without having to leave clearance cables or to press the release button - I can just remove the whole thing mount and all.. Also let me play around with the location until I got it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

LG1234 wrote: »

The one star reviews would say otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement