Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

Can you see clearly through the tint? The cam essentially sees what you do.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 adricky

bladespin wrote: »
    Can you see clearly through the tint? The cam essentially sees what you do.

The tint is clear enough but I'm just wondering if there is any issue seeing licence plates etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I don't think the cam does see what we do.

Take a look at the link.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/cameras-vs-human-eye.htm That green test is a bit weird.

You also have to consider that a dashcam image sensor is no where near the same quality as a DSLR camera (yet)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Lads, the timestamp problem with Blackvues is well publicised, where the unit puts random or sequential (meaningless) timestamps on videos. I have three Blackvue DR480s, one of which is the -II version. They are all exhibiting the timestamp problem.

Blackvue are not making any firmware fixes (which you would expect would be easy enough, to have the unit poll satellite data for a timestamp)

This is enough to put me off the Blackvues. The physical design is nice, and the video quality is good, but the timestamp problem is a real let-down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

I don't think the cam does see what we do.

Take a look at the link.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/cameras-vs-human-eye.htm That green test is a bit weird.

You also have to consider that a dashcam image sensor is no where near the same quality as a DSLR camera (yet)

Well, if you can't see through the visor then the camera can't :rolleyes:

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Gosub wrote: »
    Just a heads-up. Halfords in Airside in Dublin has the Mio Mivue 358 for €50. On special offer. I know it's not bleeding edge stuff, but for 50 squid, how far wrong could one go?

No such offer in Wexford Halfords though, so it might just be this one.

They're gone
    Tazium wrote: »
    You'll want to step that 12V down to 5V for the camera. Using the piggy back I linked too you'll pop out one existing one and use it's slot. It's straight forward and all wired up. I'm no expert but I managed it on my own.

No issues so far with the 0803. Bought from Amazon seller EPrance. Also got a 32Gb card from Amazon it's class 6 I think. No issue with that either. It's was reasonable for both. Amazon link for the camera here there are multiple options available. I got the non GPS version and non internal memory.

How did you get that delivered here? to Ireland? I tried but they dont send here? Parcelmotel? I prefer to go with a seller thats known to send the items, rather than try some other unknown. Also, I didnt realise it was coming from China, any duty? and how long? the information I saw originally said a few days, but now it looks like weeks when I look it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Does the 0803 do the motion sensor thing in Car parks? If I'm going to leave it in all the time I'm thinking this would be a nice feature.

Many Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,585 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Does the 0803 do the motion sensor thing in Car parks? If I'm going to leave it in all the time I'm thinking this would be a nice feature.

Many Thanks!

Yes.
    But you lose the auto start then and have to start/stop it manually as far as I am aware.
    I have mine hooked up via ignition on/off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

I got this last week, to replace my failing dashcam. Cost was €32, delivered. It works well and the daytime video is excellent, night is good too. The suction mount is good and solid.

I would recommend as a basic dashcam. :)

http://www.gearbest.com/car-dvr/pp_16927.html

Oops, forgot link

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ECastle

Dealrush have a dvr cam on sale at the min for €32 does anyone know if its anygood? Cant post the link as im a new user. I found the same camera cheaper (€26) on i-esale.com but dont know if i trust the site as it has worldwide free shipping and only excepts paypal. Im looking to get a camera for a truck driver as a xmas present

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Gosub wrote: »
    I got this last week, to replace my failing dashcam. Cost was €32, delivered. It works well and the daytime video is excellent, night is good too. The suction mount is good and solid.

I would recommend as a basic dashcam. :)

Have you a link to this and what memory card did you get ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Have you a link to this and what memory card did you get ?
    I used the 32g class 10 card from my old cam.

vectra wrote: »
    Yes.
    But you lose the auto start then and have to start/stop it manually as far as I am aware.

Is it hard wired?

Does anyone know of it will run off a USB port (I've one in the car) rather than the lighter port as thats being used for a set nav. Can you get a splitter for the lighter port?

Thanks again.

Is it hard wired?

Does anyone know of it will run off a USB port (I've one in the car) rather than the lighter port as thats being used for a set nav. Can you get a splitter for the lighter port?

Thanks again.

I got a piggy back fuse holder and a spare cigarette lighter socket. Wired them up behind the dash to a "Ignition on" live. and ran the power wire for the cam down the pillar. Plugged in and away we went.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There last week I got my 0801 (eprance). It's easy to use, install, etc and costs a lot less than a blackvue which I had considered buying. Good quality with day and night recordings in low light. I had to extend the mini usb cable by soldering it. I routes it down the A piliar then inside the dash and around to the centre and it plugs into the cig lighter socket. There is a good tutorial on youtube just search for 0801 dashcam and it's the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeteK*

vectra wrote: »
    How did you do that?
    Can it still be removed/hidden when you're parked up?
    Would people not smash into a car to steal a dashcam if they saw it?

PeteK* wrote: »
    How did you do that?
    Can it still be removed/hidden when you're parked up?
    Would people not smash into a car to steal a dashcam if they saw it?

I will post some pics tomorrow for you.
    I never remove it as it is not easily spotted from outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Good front/back view webcam ? Anyone using same ? Got Lidl one and it's ok but mate got one and it's failed but at least Lidl give you your money back with proof of purchase.
    Just see the increasing need for a good front/rear one - especially when insurance co's start arguing about your version of an accident ( they go very silent when a solicitor gets involved :o )

ECastle wrote: »
    Dealrush have a dvr cam on sale at the min for €32 does anyone know if its anygood? Cant post the link as im a new user. I found the same camera cheaper (€26) on i-esale.com but dont know if i trust the site as it has worldwide free shipping and only excepts paypal. Im looking to get a camera for a truck driver as a xmas present

http://www.dealrush.ie/deal/8544

I was looking at it but cannot see the make so think i will avoid it

EDIT

It's on Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Legend-HD-Vehicle-Recorder/dp/B005Q6CJI4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1416738337&sr=8-3&keywords=dvr+car

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-DrivePro-Video-Recorder-Built-In-Black/dp/B00GRYT5QI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416917805&sr=1-1

Thoughts on this? No nothing about dash cams but would like one and the Wife wants me to give her an idea on what I want from Santa!

renofan wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-DrivePro-Video-Recorder-Built-In-Black/dp/B00GRYT5QI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416917805&sr=1-1

Thoughts on this? No nothing about dash cams but would like one and the Wife wants me to give her an idea on what I want from Santa!

For that price you'd get a 0803 mini which I've heard noting but good things about (in colder climates anyway) and have ordered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Ambarella-A7LA50D-Upgrade-internal/dp/B00JIPRVLE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416918773&sr=1-1&keywords=0803+mini+32Gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

For that price you'd get a 0803 mini which I've heard noting but good things about (in colder climates anyway) and have ordered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Ambarella-A7LA50D-Upgrade-internal/dp/B00JIPRVLE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1416918773&sr=1-1&keywords=0803+mini+32Gb

And it has GPS too!

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

So after a family member had an icident with road rage i am going to purchase a dash cam for them. I know theres a lot of go proish cams out there that stick to your window and the likes but was wondering if there is any that can be permenantly hooked up and just start recording when the car starts and stops automatically.

Anyone know anything about these things?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Been doing a bit of research into this recently as well so will be keeping an eye on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

• Advertisement

I've a eprance 0801 cam (amazon - non gps) tucked behind my rear view mirror and out of sight. I paid just shy of €70 delivered. Great quality video and reasonable night footage. I can't fault it except I had to extend my usb cable to route around trim to the 12v socket. It just plugs in there but I have to unplug as the power stays on the cam otherwise.

Good review here:

I have the 0803 version of that cam.
    Did not cost much more either.
    find it perfect for what I need. Has GPS as well.
    I ran the wire down the drivers A pillar and installed a spare Cigarette lighter socket in there which powers up once I turn the key on and off when I turn it off.
    Simple job to do.

I've got mine (and my double adapter) I'm gonna make a little How-to but the bloody car is in for yet more repairs :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

was wondering if there is any that can be permenantly hooked up and just start recording when the car starts and stops automatically.

Most (if not all) dashcams work like this, as long as you connect it to a point that powers on and off with the ignition key.
    The most modern cars have the cigarette lighter or a USB socket powered only when the the key is on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Yorker

Saw vivitar 785hd in tesco. Anyone used on a car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

General consensus online is that its junk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

seen them in work, biggest downside i guess, apart from the size (compared to some go-pro's), is the fact that it (as far as i can see) doesn't automatically loop like a dashcam would, as in when the SD card is full you will have to stop and delete it unlike a dashcam that in most cases will automatically format the SD card and continue to record. i think :P

seen them in work, biggest downside i guess, apart from the size (compared to some go-pro's), is the fact that it (as far as i can see) doesn't automatically loop like a dashcam would, as in when the SD card is full you will have to stop and delete it unlike a dashcam that in most cases will automatically format the SD card and continue to record. i think :P
    manual i downloaded says it overwrites. Do you have to start it manually when you start driving. Do you have to start dashcam manually each time? What is a good dashcam?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yorker wrote: »
    What is a good dashcam?
    I've merged your thread with a larger thread with many suggestions.

biko wrote: »
    I've merged your thread with a larger thread with many suggestions.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Anyone here got one of these? Or know if they are any good, kinda tempted to get one.

Wide Angle HD 720P Smallest Car DVR Dash Camera Video Recorder Cam A8.

http://www.wish.com/c/53fc68132770b6095b0158aa

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Anyone here got one of these? Or know if they are any good, kinda tempted to get one.

Wide Angle HD 720P Smallest Car DVR Dash Camera Video Recorder Cam A8.

http://www.wish.com/c/53fc68132770b6095b0158aa

It looks like a clone of the one I have posted above. I wouldn't bother with the one you posted. The one from eprance on amazon has a higher res.

That is one of those copies and apparently are not good.
    As above I have the 0803. Much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Apologies if this has already been covered, but Santa will bring me either a Mobius or an 0803. Santa is undecided however.
    The 0803 seems to have a more straightforward, discreet mount.
    But the deisgn/build quality seems inferior to the Mobius with a lot of reviewers complaining of "stopping working".
    I don't need a screen and if I could get a discreet mount for the Mobius that wasn't kludgy I think I'd go for that.
    Anyone any experience/advice with these particualr issues?

I bought the g1w from eprance on Amazon but stopped using it due to it interfering with the radio, it worked fine at first but started getting the interfence the second time.
    Anyone else have the same problem and how did you fix it ?

• Advertisement

I bought the g1w from eprance on Amazon but stopped using it due to it interfering with the radio, it worked fine at first but started getting the interfence the second time.
    Anyone else have the same problem and how did you fix it ?

Its more than likely the power plug causing the problem.

Something like this sorts it.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-NS12-InLine-Noise-Suppressor/dp/B0007V5X4U

Its more than likely the power plug causing the problem.

Something like this sorts it.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-NS12-InLine-Noise-Suppressor/dp/B0007V5X4U

Doesn't happen for anything else though, i might just get a usb adapter socket and try it that way and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I want to buy a Dash Cam for my dad. I was looking at the Smartcam HD, but it's being sold for €130 + with a SD card. What other options are out there? I don't have a Paypal account, so that is causing me trouble ordering online.

Xios wrote: »
    I want to buy a Dash Cam for my dad. I was looking at the Smartcam HD, but it's being sold for €130 + with a SD card. What other options are out there? I don't have a Paypal account, so that is causing me trouble ordering online.

I see the updated version of the 0803 is now available on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/99digitals%C2%AE-0805-1-5-inch-Blackbox-Ambarella-Black/dp/B00NBLHK8A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1418995143&sr=8-2&keywords=0805

I have the 0803 with gps but have minor shutting down issues with it occasionly. it does not bother me as the video quality makes up for it.
    As far as I am aware the 0805 has this issue sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Turtle-TM

Going to pull the trigger on a dash cam after some various idiot behaviour especially on the m50 (including meeting someone coming the wrong way on a roundabout last night, that was a first!)

Going to go with the 0805, from Amazon, can anyone recommend the best sd card to get, I've read that some people say only Samsung are tested to work with them, will it need a class 10 or would 6 do? Not much of a price difference anyway between a 32gb class 6 or 10

I'm not sure if they have fixed a bug with the 080xx series of those dashcams. There was an issue with class 10 cards and recordings being corrupted or something I not exactly sure. So they recommended class 6 to be used instead. Now I have the first gen of the cam 0801 and a class 10 which works fine so far.

Anyone have a link to an Amazon seller that will ship to Ireland?! Pain in the ass, the only seller of the 0805 won't ship from China to Ireland! Don't want to use fleabay

Hal1 wrote: »

Done! I never think of them! I shall report back when I get the item (7-27 days from China)

• Advertisement

Doesn't happen for anything else though, i might just get a usb adapter socket and try it that way and see what happens.

You need to be carful on what type of USB charger you pick.

Dash cams need more amps than phones.

My one has a 1.5 amp 5v supply. Most usb chargers are around 1 amp.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement