Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cams, what to get and where to get it (Q&A only)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

My suspects were that those cameras were made by someone that brands them accordingly, the menus are the same, the buttons below the LCD panel are the same and so on.
    But the sample videos on YouTube are quite good, the features of the software are amazing and customers on Amazon left good (on average) reviews.
    The HP model is available in Europe, the Panasonic seems to be available in Australia only, so the HP is cheaper because there aren't customs duties to be paid (at least for us Italians, our customs is a pain in the neck!).

Do you have a link for the review you talk about?

sorry, added to original post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Im going to get one of these. They look great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo76bkytA3o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I was gonna purchases the Mini 0801 then I seen this one with the new Ambarella A7 chip. Do you think there will be much difference?

This seems good to me. It seems we have to wait four to six weeks before getting hold of it, though ;)
    I would have liked a camera that could allow me to set the frame rate to a lower value that 30 fps. Something that could be set from 1 fps to 30 fps would have been great.
    The GoPro cams allow this, but are much more expensive and not dedicated to this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

This seems good to me. It seems we have to wait four to six weeks before getting hold of it, though ;)
    I would have liked a camera that could allow me to set the frame rate to a lower value that 30 fps. Something that could be set from 1 fps to 30 fps would have been great.
    The GoPro cams allow this, but are much more expensive and not dedicated to this purpose.

Why do you want to be able to change the frame rate? Just out of curiosity:)

Average-Ro wrote: »
    Why do you want to be able to change the frame rate? Just out of curiosity:)

One of the reasons could be to save space in the memory :)
    A frame rate of, say, 5 fps could be still enough to see and understand what happens around, but the memory card can store 6 times more recording.
    At 10 fps the video is still recognisable but the recording time is three times more.
    At the moment I have a ER-130V, not available anymore on the market, that has a variable frame rate.
    By the way, does anyone know what is the file size for each minute of recording for the Mini 0801?

• Advertisement

One of the reasons could be to save space in the memory :)
    A frame rate of, say, 5 fps could be still enough to see and understand what happens around, but the memory card can store 6 times more recording.

But they record over themselves in a loop, so why worry about memory?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I think the 0801 does around 80mb per 1min @ 30fps

Nino Brown wrote: »
    But they record over themselves in a loop, so why worry about memory?

Because in certain occasions I wouldn't like to have the older files deleted or overwritten. This happens when I'm on holiday and I'd like to keep the whole travel saved for later reviews :)
    If I haven't misunderstood, these devices allow users to choose between overwrite and stop when full, don't they?
    gman2k wrote: »
    I think the 0801 does around 80mb per 1min @ 30fps

Thanks! Very useful info ;)

Because in certain occasions I wouldn't like to have the older files deleted or overwritten. This happens when I'm on holiday and I'd like to keep the whole travel saved for later reviews :)
    If I haven't misunderstood, these devices allow users to choose between overwrite and stop when full, don't they?

I can't speak for all of them, but it seems most do allow you turn off loop recording.
    In accident situations the incident won't be recorded over on most dashcams, and if your on holiday you could just take the card out and transfer the files to your laptop after each trip and you're good to go.

Hi have a 32gb card in my one . 720p cam. It uses the whole 32 gb in around 4 hours. Which is a pain as I work 8 hours on the road. Unless I lock the file I want to keep it will overwrite it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

brokenarms wrote: »
    Hi have a 32gb card in my one . 720p cam. It uses the whole 32 gb in around 4 hours. Which is a pain as I work 8 hours on the road. Unless I lock the file I want to keep it will overwrite it.

Why would you need that much video stored?
    Surely a smaller card, with looped recording is more useful? If an incident occurs that warrants saving, then it's easy to save...

Surely a smaller card, with looped recording is more useful? If an incident occurs that warrants saving, then it's easy to save...

Well I had it anyway. I would like 64gb+ TBH.

It would mean I would have proof of delivery in my line of work if questioned the next day. I may have 250 drops in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

If you've a good camera, rerunning the trips can be fascinating. Only problem is getting the time to watch it all again :)

Well I had it anyway. I would like 64gb+ TBH.

It would mean I would have proof of delivery in my line of work if questioned the next day. I may have 250 drops in one day.

Some take 128GB's now.

Exactly, most actually auto save in the event of a crash, or even heavy braking.

That is more than 80 MB per minute, and we're talking 720p cam, what would happen with a 1080p cam?
    and if your on holiday you could just take the card out and transfer the files to your laptop after each trip and you're good to go.

That could be a solution. If the cam could be set at a lower frame rate this problem would be partially solved.

That is more than 80 MB per minute, and we're talking 720p cam, what would happen with a 1080p cam?
    My Cam is 1080p, a 3min clip is 208MB at 30fps

That could be a solution. If the cam could be set at a lower frame rate this problem would be partially solved.
    The LK7900 allows you set the frame rate from 5-30fps.

The LK7900 allows you set the frame rate from 5-30fps.

I found the manual at this link

http://www.lukashd.com/gnuboard4/bbs/board.php?bo_table=eng_setupmanual&wr_id=6

but it doesn't say anything about the frame rate...

Another thing. All these dash cams start recording when the vehicle is turned on, probably because the power at the cigarette lighter in on in that moment.
    My car (Opel Astra 2004) has the cig lighter always on, even when the car is without key. This sounds like a problem... :confused:

I found the manual at this link

http://www.lukashd.com/gnuboard4/bbs/board.php?bo_table=eng_setupmanual&wr_id=6

but it doesn't say anything about the frame rate...

Another thing. All these dash cams start recording when the vehicle is turned on, probably because the power at the cigarette lighter in on in that moment.
    My car (Opel Astra 2004) has the cig lighter always on, even when the car is without key. This sounds like a problem... :confused:

Untitled_zps4acd1d9e.jpg

Here's the first page of the options menu on the Lukas, 5,10,15 fps are greyed out, maybe there's other settings I need to change to make them available.

I used to drive a focus, and the cigarette lighters are always on in them too. It wasn't a problem, the camera was just always on.

The Lukas is designed to be always on all the time anyway, and you can get regulator kit with them I described earlier in this thread so that you don't use the cigarette lighter at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Hi lads, the old fella is looking to get a dash cam for about 40-50 euros.

I'm gonna read back through the thread but you can make any recommendations?

• Advertisement

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Hi lads, the old fella is looking to get a dash cam for about 40-50 euros.

I'm gonna read back through the thread but you can make any recommendations?

Dont forget to factor in an SD card.

Most men have them in the man drawer. But if you dont have one, it will be an extra 15-20 quid.

Here's the first page of the options menu on the Lukas, 5,10,15 fps are greyed out, maybe there's other settings I need to change to make them available.

This is different from the pdf manual available from the link I found, that must be an older version.
    Probably if you set a lower image quality it lets you choose slower frame rates. It could make sense.
    I used to drive a focus, and the cigarette lighters are always on in them too. It wasn't a problem, the camera was just always on.
    The Lukas is designed to be always on all the time anyway, and you can get regulator kit with them I described earlier in this thread so that you don't use the cigarette lighter at all.

Alright! :)

I checked all the manuals of all models from Lukas.
    None of them mentions the frame rate... :confused:
    More, as I understand not all models have a GPS receiver built-in, it seems that only models 7700 and 7900 do have it.
    Then, I haven't understood how the system is turned on and off. Alright, there's an on/off button, but do I always have to power it off before removing the key? What if I remove the key without turning the cam off? This may happen when in a hurry, or distract by other thoughts, or when the engine stops for an incorrect manouvre and I have to restart the engine... will all data be erased or lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You're looking into this too much :)

Buy a decent camera, buy 2 memory cards since you seem to be concerned (I have two for mine too ;)). If you record something important, pop out the card and replace it with the other one until you have had a chance to back up the video files to a computer, or, with the new ones using micro SD cards, you could back it up to most android phones by inserting the memory card for 5 minutes.

To the poster concerned about proof of delivery, some cameras allow you to snap a photo, this evidence would be pretty much equal to camera footage that you were at the location, unless you want to specifically position and park your van so it's facing you walking into the building etc. Also, presuming you use a dedicated GPS while driving, most GPS units have the feature to leave a snail trail of where you've driver, so you could use them both.

I checked all the manuals of all models from Lukas.
    None of them mentions the frame rate... :confused:
    More, as I understand not all models have a GPS receiver built-in, it seems that only models 7700 and 7900 do have it.
    The 7500 definitely has GPS too. I don't know what to tell you about the manuals. I just checked the manual that came with mine, and it just tells me how to get to the options screen, it doesn't explain any options at all. BTW the options are not edited on the camera, you edit them on the player, then save it to the card, and when you put the card in the camera the options upload.
    Then, I haven't understood how the system is turned on and off. Alright, there's an on/off button, but do I always have to power it off before removing the key?
    Okay in your case, if you leave it plugged in to the cigarette lighter, the camera will always be on, 24/7. But in the case of the lukas it would detect that you're not driving anymore and enter parking mode.Where it would only record motion and impacts.
    If you have a car which powers off the cigarette lighter when the ignition is off, the internal battery will have enough power to safely shut down the camera, and will power on again when you turn on the ignition, no need to touch the power button.
    I use the on/off button because my camera is hard wired to the car, and the camera should be off before removing the SD card. In your case you could either turn it off, or plug it out before removing the card, that's really all the button is for, you don't need to use it on a daily basis unless you're worried about your car battery.
    And the data records in segments of usually 1-5 mins, so even if your internal battery had failed completely, and you turn off your ignition, you'd only lose the last few minutes of video.

All right Nino Brown, I think I have all the details and info that I needed, I think that I won't bother you anymore :P
    Thanks a lot for you huge kindness!

All right Nino Brown, I think I have all the details and info that I needed, I think that I won't bother you anymore :P
    Thanks a lot for you huge kindness!

No problem at all

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Spotted in BA, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057139832

Any opinons? Think I saw one like this posted here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

zerks wrote: »

Not a great cam anymore but one like it did set the standard, unfortunately it has been cloned and cloned and cloned again ~ if it's an original it does basic dash-cam functions.

PS. Even Amazon Co UK were selling the clone knockoffs ~ :)

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Spotted in BA, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057139832

Yes I have something similar and its been doing its job everyday for the last 18 months.

Its hard to get a number plate from a moving car though, which could be very important in the event of a crash.

As soon as the next pay check comes in, upgrade time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement