Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuffmac Cowbox

Options
  • 09-11-2019 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

I’m thinking of finally trading up from my 20 year plus old Jim Murphy (Tuam) 8 x 4 trailer.
    I have notice in over the past few years, that there seems to be more and more Tuffmacs appearing around my area. Lot of lads with biggish use compared to me at least, seem to have them.
    Any opinions? I’d be thinking of 8 x 5 this time. Would like bigger but don’t really have the use.
    Would there be much saving to be made by buying in NI?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I’m thinking of finally trading up from my 20 year plus old Jim Murphy (Tuam) 8 x 4 trailer.
    I have notice in over the past few years, that there seems to be more and more Tuffmacs appearing around my area. Lot of lads with biggish use compared to me at least, seem to have them.
    Any opinions? I’d be thinking of 8 x 5 this time. Would like bigger but don’t really have the use.

There's a fella at the mart in Ennis selling them every Tuesday that won't be beaten on price. A lot of lads around here have dealt with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

There's a fella at the mart in Ennis selling them every Tuesday that won't be beaten on price. A lot of lads around here have dealt with him.

m&l cowboxes he comes from wexford every 2nd Tue to Ennis mart I.
    bought mine off him, a 12x6 ifor. shes like new he took my own one gave me 1k for it , he sells some amount of them

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

lab man wrote: »
    m&l cowboxes he comes from wexford every 2nd Tue to Ennis mart I.
    bought mine off him, a 12x6 ifor. shes like new he took my own one gave me 1k for it , he sells some amount of them

Is that Byrne Trailers, Bunclody? Advertises a good bit on DoneDeal.
    Would be handy to do a trade in all in the one transaction .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is that Byrne Trailers, Bunclody? Advertises a good bit on DoneDeal.
    Would be handy to do a trade in all in the one transaction .

Seemingly not.
    This lad is over New Ross direction.

I've bought from Byrne's before.
    Tbh I wouldn't be a million miles away and I never even knew this lad was selling trailers. Must be doing lots of business in Clare. I had to do a Google search to see what was what.

Seemingly not.
    This lad is over New Ross direction.

I've bought from Byrne's before.
    Tbh I wouldn't be a million miles away and I never even knew this lad was selling trailers. Must be doing lots of business in Clare. I had to do a Google search to see what was what.

Can’t find this M&L Trailers Wexford lad at all on google.
    Anybody have a phone number for him, or a link to a website etc, ettlc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I don't have a number but the best you'll get online is this.

https://www.cylex.ie/company/m+%26+l+trailers-12185074.html

Some of the buyers would surely have a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Here you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

he's sound out, know some one that bought a s/h box off him, had some issue with it and your man sorted it, think he gave him a newer box straight swop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Grueller

I bought one last spring. I am happy with it. It is no harder towed than my old ifor. I wanted to buy an ifor again but the tuffmac was coming in €1350 cheaper.
    Pros
    Very strongly built
    Has a fully welded aluminium floor
    Reasonably priced

Cons
    Not as well finished as an ifor, splotches of stray weld here and there
    That stupid bar across the middle of the calf door
    Galvanised steel slurry tank and as far as I can figure I can't take the top off it to wash it properly to prevent it rusting
    Tail lights are not LED on a new trailer in this day and age.
    Trade in will be less than my old ifor but it can be up to €1350 less before I am losing.

Overall as I said, happy out with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What are the gvw of tuffmac trailers like? I got an old ifor williams 10x5ft trailer here with a 2700kg gvw, I don't have a jeep anymore, my current car can only tow 1800kg. There are a reasonable few small jeeps/big cars with towing gvw of say 2200kg, so if I was to get a trailer with that gvw I'd consider changing cars. I only really pull calves in the trailer any distance so I don't really need the 2700+ kg trailers.

• Advertisement

Grueller wrote: »
    I bought one last spring. I am happy with it. It is no harder towed than my old ifor. I wanted to buy an ifor again but the tuffmac was coming in €1350 cheaper.
    Pros
    Very strongly built
    Has a fully welded aluminium floor
    Reasonably priced

Cons
    Not as well finished as an ifor, splotches of stray weld here and there
    That stupid bar across the middle of the calf door
    Galvanised steel slurry tank and as far as I can figure I can't take the top off it to wash it properly to prevent it rusting
    Tail lights are not LED on a new trailer in this day and age.
    Trade in will be less than my old ifor but it can be up to €1350 less before I am losing.

Overall as I said, happy out with it.

Hmmm. Even my 20 year old trailer has retrofitted LED lights. Fellas say new IW trailers not up to old workmanship either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Grueller

Hmmm. Even my 20 year old trailer has retrofitted LED lights. Fellas say new IW trailers not up to old workmanship either.

Ya, the first trouble they give they will be taken off and LED units fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Aravo

At least with the independent operators like Jim Murphy, you can get things done to your own spec. Most of the bigger operators don't do that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Ivor Williams trailers came from mainly a sheep background in Wales and I've always been of the opinion that there a super sheep trailer but not really suited to heavy cattle. For example the decks in the IW are very quick and simple to operate compared to other makes and there a nice light trailer to tow but the strength isn't in them for heavy work.

I was talking to a rep from Nugent trailers at the ploughing and his argument was that Nugent build trailers mainly for cattle as opposed to sheep. There sheep deck system is good but heavier and more awkward than the likes of the IW, this is to prevent damage to them when hauling heavy cattle. I'm not promoting Nugent over IW only outlining the difference in design between manufacturer's and intended use.

Working in a mart I get to see nearly every trailer manufacturer's offerings on a weekly basis and how they stand up to use and abuse over time. The men feeding store/heavy cows are often the hardest on trailers and if a particular brand can withstand there use for a few years it's usually good enough for anyone. I'd know a good few lads at that job that run Tuffmac's and although they trade them regularly enough they seem to do the job without any great issue. Conversely I can't think of anyone I know using an IW at the cow job and the few new Crooks and Murphy trailers I've seen in recent years haven't inspired my confidence in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Who2

If you can wait for it to be made and want a trailer for life don’t go past porter. They are without question the strongest trailer going and the 12 by 6 is 20kg lighter than the same size nugent. They’ll be worth near enough what you pay for them new in years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Are you not considering another Aerlite? They seem decent enough...

Ivor Williams trailers came from mainly a sheep background in Wales and I've always been of the opinion that there a super sheep trailer but not really suited to heavy cattle. For example the decks in the IW are very quick and simple to operate compared to other makes and there a nice light trailer to tow but the strength isn't in them for heavy work.

I was talking to a rep from Nugent trailers at the ploughing and his argument was that Nugent build trailers mainly for cattle as opposed to sheep. There sheep deck system is good but heavier and more awkward than the likes of the IW, this is to prevent damage to them when hauling heavy cattle. I'm not promoting Nugent over IW only outlining the difference in design between manufacturer's and intended use.

Working in a mart I get to see nearly every trailer manufacturer's offerings on a weekly basis and how they stand up to use and abuse over time. The men feeding store/heavy cows are often the hardest on trailers and if a particular brand can withstand there use for a few years it's usually good enough for anyone. I'd know a good few lads at that job that run Tuffmac's and although they trade them regularly enough they seem to do the job without any great issue. Conversely I can't think of anyone I know using an IW at the cow job and the few new Crooks and Murphy trailers I've seen in recent years haven't inspired my confidence in them.

It probably depends on what area you are in, and what dealers are around as much as any. Around here, Ifor Williams would be the most popular trailer with the type of lads you mention. Nugent would probably be the next popular. While there are Tuffmacs around, they wouldn't be common at all.

hopeso wrote: »
    It probably depends on what area you are in, and what dealers are around as much as any. Around here, Ifor Williams would be the most popular trailer with the type of lads you mention. Nugent would probably be the next popular. While there are Tuffmacs around, they wouldn't be common at all.

I agree about the dealers influencing the brands in different area's. Nugent would be very popular as there's a few dealer's offering finance deals while a good few lads would go North for Tuffmac's and an occasional Ivor Williams. As Who2 said above I don't think Porter will be beaten for build quality and strength, everything about them is built to last. It's the secondary fittings such as loading gates, dividing gates ect that let many of the other makes down imo, there not strong enough for handling heavy cattle.

Is that Byrne Trailers, Bunclody? Advertises a good bit on DoneDeal. Would be handy to do a trade in all in the one transaction .

I honestly dont know but he sells some
    amount here in Clare plus hes easy to deal with

Can’t find this M&L Trailers Wexford lad at all on google. Anybody have a phone number for him, or a link to a website etc, ettlc?

I'll get a number for him tmrw I'll PM u it where u based if I'm in Ennis I'll take a foto an send u it of the one HD has that day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Conversely I can't think of anyone I know using an IW at the cow job and the few new Crooks and Murphy trailers I've seen in recent years haven't inspired my confidence in them.

Just trying to follow your comment re crooks trailers. How would you rate them ? I’ve never seen one in the flesh, but was considering one last time I changed. Only thing that put me off was the distance they were away from me and the fact I hadn’t seen them in the flesh ? Have to agree with you on the porter trailers. Have never heard a bad word said about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭leoch

Use said the porter was 20kgs lighter than the nugent does anyone know the weight of a new same size iw ??

leoch wrote: »
    Use said the porter was 20kgs lighter than the nugent does anyone know the weight of a new same size iw ??

From memory, most are in and around the same weight. The ifor 8x5 is 725kg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I saw a very unusual make of trailer when I was in Ennis Mart last. It looked a bit like an Ifor Williams. I was something like Jumbo or something.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Just trying to follow your comment re crooks trailers. How would you rate them ? I’ve never seen one in the flesh, but was considering one last time I changed. Only thing that put me off was the distance they were away from me and the fact I hadn’t seen them in the flesh ? Have to agree with you on the porter trailers. Have never heard a bad word said about them.

Crooks aren't that popular locally either although I'd know of 4 new trailers bought off them in the last 3 years. I wouldn't rate these trailers that highly after seeing how they coped with general use and abuse. As regards the newer crooks trailers I've seen 3 of them are 14 footers and owned by men who deal in and feed cows while the last one is a 12 footer that belongs to a weanling dealer/agent and probably has an easier life than the other ones.

The trailers hauling heavy cows on a regular basis are now more round than square in profile as the sides and floor members have bowed out of shape with the weight. Granted there operators wouldn't be the most sympathetic towards gear but it still shouldn't happen a new trailer. The loading/dividing gates are warped, broken and now ill fitting as the frame of the trailer has twisted.

One man told me the axles are now out of line on his and are eating tires as a result and the ramp bowed down under the weight within the first month. Another owner said he was very disappointed with this trailer compared to his older trade in and ordered a 14 foot Hamilton with 6 months of buying the Crooks. He's still waiting on the Hamilton 12 months later although he should have a trailer for life when it's eventually ready. The trailer belonging to the weanling dealer is in good enough shape but only gets light use as he has a lorry for the heavier work.

Having said that I've a neighbor with a 28 year old 12 foot Crooks that has done lots of work and is still in near perfect condition. He bought it new and it's his only trailer so gets lots of use on a fragmented holding running 50+ sucklers so perhaps the older ones were better. I definitely wouldn't buy a new Crooks based on recent experience if you're intending on abusing it, there in the same category as IW in my mind. By this I mean a nice light trailer to tow but lacking in substance for hard work, a sheep only trailer in other words.

Fair enough. It just goes to show the importance of seeing a trailer in the flesh before buying. I’m a sheep only man and use a 2.0 saloon car for towing. I went and hitched up several different trailers before buying. Ended up with a 8x5 ifor. She towed the best and Just suits my needs. Having said that, as you’ve pointed out, it ain’t one hat fits all. The other thing that surprised me at the time, was most trailers use the same running gear, but some use indespension rubbers. I’d advise people to take any trailer for a test drive. I found the rubbers very hardy and sent feedback through the car on rough roads. Had I not tested it, I could have bought one on indespension. But everyones different and some may prefer the rubbers .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

So is your trailer on springs?

leoch wrote: »

https://www.iwt.co.uk/products/livestock/ta510/?tab=spec#tab

Muckit wrote: »
    So is your trailer on springs?

Yes, my ifor is on springs.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. It just goes to show the importance of seeing a trailer in the flesh before buying. I’m a sheep only man and use a 2.0 saloon car for towing. I went and hitched up several different trailers before buying. Ended up with a 8x5 ifor. She towed the best and Just suits my needs. Having said that, as you’ve pointed out, it ain’t one hat fits all. The other thing that surprised me at the time, was most trailers use the same running gear, but some use indespension rubbers. I’d advise people to take any trailer for a test drive. I found the rubbers very hardy and sent feedback through the car on rough roads. Had I not tested it, I could have bought one on indespension. But everyones different and some may prefer the rubbers .

As above no one trailer fits all and the definition of perfection depends on your use and expectation. IW and other manufacturers sell there product consistently so they must be doing something right after all. If your solely a sheep man than an IW is a good choice imo as it's light weight, easily towed, has a user and sheep friendly deck system and has a good resale value if and when required. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't give years of service in such a scenario and should be a very good fit for your setup.

However if your mainly a cattle man that operates at the limits of what's possible consistently and isn't very sympathetic towards your gear then I couldn't say the same for an IW trailer. When the going gets tough it's pointless looking beyond Hamilton, Porter, Hudson, Nugent and similar. I've no connection to any brand but I've seen time and again what stands up to abuse in a trailer and it's the same few brands that stay serviceable all the time. I challenge anyone to study a Porter for example and argue that the same level of engineering and raw steel goes into an IW.

Advertisement