Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuffmac Cowbox

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

Has anyone any experience of Falcon trailers? They look alright in the photos anyway...... https://www.facebook.com/FalconTrailersLtd/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

As above no one trailer fits all and the definition of perfection depends on your use and expectation. IW and other manufacturers sell there product consistently so they must be doing something right after all. If your solely a sheep man than an IW is a good choice imo as it's light weight, easily towed, has a user and sheep friendly deck system and has a good resale value if and when required. I don't see any reason why it shouldn't give years of service in such a scenario and should be a very good fit for your setup.

However if your mainly a cattle man that operates at the limits of what's possible consistently and isn't very sympathetic towards your gear then I couldn't say the same for an IW trailer. When the going gets tough it's pointless looking beyond Hamilton, Porter, Hudson, Nugent and similar. I've no connection to any brand but I've seen time and again what stands up to abuse in a trailer and it's the same few brands that stay serviceable all the time. I challenge anyone to study a Porter for example and argue that the same level of engineering and raw steel goes into an IW.

Used to have a nugent tipper here at one stage., that we towed with a landcruiser. Super strong trailer, but very hard to hitch up and take off. Used to eat jockey wheels, kept blowing tyres and ate clutches in the Jeep. It weighted 1.3 tonnes empty and was hard towed. So it’s really down to what lads needs and preferences. The more weight you’ve behind you, unless the trailer is well balanced, means tough towing. Trying to get the balance right is everything is sometimes easier said then done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I saw a very unusual make of trailer when I was in Ennis Mart last. It looked a bit like an Ifor Williams. I was something like Jumbo or something.
    hopeso wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of Falcon trailers? They look alright in the photos anyway...... https://www.facebook.com/FalconTrailersLtd/

:D....That's the one I saw, a big 3 axle cattle trailer. Didn't get close enough to see what build quality was like.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Used to have a nugent tipper here at one stage., that we towed with a landcruiser. Super strong trailer, but very hard to hitch up and take off. Used to eat jockey wheels, kept blowing tyres and ate clutches in the Jeep. It weighted 1.3 tonnes empty and was hard towed. So it’s really down to what lads needs and preferences. The more weight you’ve behind you, unless the trailer is well balanced, means tough towing. Trying to get the balance right is everything is sometimes easier said then done.

At 1.3 tonne empty it was a dog of a trailer for a tipper at least in my eyes. Yes I agree that there comes a point of diminishing returns as regards strength and subsequently weight. A man locally built a barge to bring cattle on and off the islands in Lough Arrow, he went for total overkill as regards strength and durability. It looked a super job but was unbalanced and dead weight in the water, it would have required a Thames tug boat to manoeuvre it and subsequently ended up beached on dry land after it's failed maiden voyage.

As with building a boat balance is key and the same is true for a trailer. I've often considered that if I stick with a 12 foot trailer next time around that I'll order it as a tri axle as opposed to my current double axle, this should make for a steadier more well balanced trailer imo.

From the point of visuals they seem to be a copy of the last Hudson's although if the similarities continue as regards build quality I don't know. I've yet to see a falcon trailer in the flesh but they do look respectable from the photos provided. Indespension are another recent player to enter the livestock trailer market. I've only seen one so far and they seem to be well constructed but only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Falcons bought all the designs and equipment from hudson, when they left the market. At the time the Hudson website referred any new enquiries to falcon. Could even been the past employees of Hudson, who decided to carry on the business, but open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Has anyone priced a falcon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

PM sent, welding rod

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

The local jeep cattle haulage man has a falcon tri axle for the last year. its going 12 hours plus a day 6/7 days a week and its a tough life. hes very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

An unwanted birthday present;

https://www.donedeal.ie/cattletrailers-for-sale/cattle-trailer-new/23099362

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

I could do with a few friends like he has...... :D

I looked at his other ads for sale. The same trailer is listed 44 days ago, which seems strange considering the price drop he's offering.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

There seems to be a “correlation”, between the markets for gates and trailers....ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭josephsoap

A fine looking trailer anyway - kind of reminds me of the old Hudson’s

I could do with a few friends like he has...... :D

I looked at his other ads for sale. The same trailer is listed 44 days ago, which seems strange considering the price drop he's offering.... :confused:

It must have been a milestone birthday!

It does seem strange that a trailer in that condition has been advertised for so long without any takers. A quick conversion from sterling to euro comes to €5000 straight deal, it's seems very good value, too good even. I'm assuming the same trailer in the South would be circa €7000 incl VAT as most other manufacturers are around that price for a 12" trailer. What VAT rate is applicable on new trailers in the South compared to Northern Ireland? I'm not vat registered and don't really understand the differences, would I be better off going North of the border for a new trailer?

It must have been a milestone birthday!

It does seem strange that a trailer in that condition has been advertised for so long without any takers. A quick conversion from sterling to euro comes to €5000 straight deal, it's seems very good value, too good even. I'm assuming the same trailer in the South would be circa €7000 incl VAT as most other manufacturers are around that price for a 12" trailer. What VAT rate is applicable on new trailers in the South compared to Northern Ireland? I'm not vat registered and don't really understand the differences, would I be better off going North of the border for a new trailer?

I've passed a few milestone birthdays at this stage, but nothing as shiny as that turned up..... :rolleyes:

The VAT in the North is 20%..... If you are not registered, I think you have to pay the 20% in the North when you buy it. If you are registered, you buy it VAT free in the North, and pay the VAT here when you bring it in. I think the VAT here is probably 23%, but anyone registered claims it back, so they won't mind paying the 3% extra....

As for being better off going North, well, the VAT is 3% less than it is here, and, as most of them trailers are made up there, you might be able to deal directly with the factory. Exchange rate would be the biggest influencing factor....so hang on until Boris f**ks something up......

Advertisement