Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violent Protests In Hong Kong.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭defrule

The police shot and permanently blinded a young girls eye...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Strange how little interest there in on Boards on these protests. I guess it does doesn't can't be included as a Left vs Right argument. Given that the protestors have defeated the extradition bill hard to know where they want to go with these protests now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They are canceling flights now due to the protests. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-49317975

I really hope this does not go the way that I think it will with China cracking down, they can't let this go no much longer. Either they ignore it and hope it peters off or there is a crack down.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Strange how little interest there in on Boards on these protests. I guess it does doesn't can't be included as a Left vs Right argument. Given that the protestors have defeated the extradition bill hard to know where they want to go with these protests now.

More interested in Epstein and the Clinton death list conspiracy theories unfortunately.

I'm sure people will be along with tell us a about the CIA in HK

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They are canceling flights now due to the protests. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-49317975

I really hope this does not go the way that I think it will with China cracking down, they can't let this go no much longer. Either they ignore it and hope it peters off or there is a crack down.

Its hard to see it going any other way now except for a crackdown by Beijing as there seems no way that the protests are just going to peter out. Lam continuing on in her position is just making things worse, she has lost all credibility now and is effectively a puppet of Beijing.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Its hard to see it going any other way now except for a crackdown by Beijing as there seems no way that the protests are just going to peter out. Lam continuing on in her position is just making things worse, she has lost all credibility now and is effectively a puppet of Beijing.

Yeah unfortunately I agree with you. I am quite fearful of what is going to happen. Those people are very brave.

I wonder what a crackdown will look like. HK is a major financial hub so its hard to see them literally shutting down the who place with no one allowed out on the streets. Mind you its the Communist Party so anything is possible

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I wonder what a crackdown will look like. HK is a major financial hub so its hard to see them literally shutting down the who place with no one allowed out on the streets. Mind you its the Communist Party so anything is possible

It's likely they will just declare marshal law and shut down communications some how , being a financial hub will complicate things for the Chinese ,but once they go the military crackdown route there will be no stopping them unless in the remote chance protests spread to the mainland which would cause them to rethink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Unfortunately red China lacks the imagination and has too much "strong man pride" to fix this without making things worse. If HK was not the kind of place it is the army would have been sent in weeks ago but it's difference may not save it for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Wonder will Winnie the Poo send it the army? And I wonder if they do, will the west just stand by and let a slaughter happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

There's a great documentary on Netflix called Joshua: Teenager v Superpower; about a young high-school student (Joshua Wong) who started a student movement to oppose pro-Beijing 'patriotic education' in the HK school curriculum.

If you ever wondered what conviction and bravery looks like, you should watch this documentary. The kid has balls of steel. He's still only 22, but the CCP regards him as a huge threat to Chinese attempts to integrate HK with the mainland.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Wonder will Winnie the Poo send it the army? And I wonder if they do, will the west just stand by and let a slaughter happen
    We did the last time. I'm sure we will again

China getting ready for the crackdown
    “Hong Kong’s radical demonstrators have repeatedly used extremely dangerous tools to attack police officers, which already constitutes a serious violent crime, and also shows the first signs of terrorism emerging,” said Yang Guang, spokesman for the Hong Kong and Macao Affairs Office of the State Council.

Hours later, two state media outlets ran videos showing armoured personnel and troop carriers purportedly driving to Shenzhen, which borders Hong Kong.

China’s state-run media today sought to ramp up the pressure.

“Black-clad mobsters have created an atmosphere of terror on the Hong Kong streets,” the official Xinhua news agency said in a commentary.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/hong-kong-leader-city-faces-path-of-no-return-4763276-Aug2019/

Im wondering when the PLA troops move in will they shut down the internet and all telecoms? Would imagine its the only way they could stop the protestors organising, especially with the flash mob protest model they've been using. They shut down the airport yesterday with short notice on social media so would think the army are going to shut down the entire internet to stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

This is not a peaceful protest they are storming government buildings.

Maybe they were chanting "Peaceful Protest" while smashing up the buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Maybe they were chanting "Peaceful Protest" while smashing up the buildings.

Incredible that people would take the side of the communist dictatorship in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

We did the last time. I'm sure we will again

More realistic to make a stand against China in Taiwan or North Korea.

There is an interesting live thread on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/live/133sixros7tu5/

Very brave teenagers indeed. Some of those arrested are 14 or 16. Very upsetting what is going to happen to them. Sad that we will have to watch people getting shot for protesting again.

There is an interesting live thread on Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/live/133sixros7tu5/

Very brave teenagers indeed. Some of those arrested are 14 or 16. Very upsetting what is going to happen to them. Sad that we will have to watch people getting shot for protesting again.

Seen that poor girl who lost her eye yesterday , shocking stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The only way this makes a meaningful impact is if you have 5 or 6 Chinese regions in revolt simultaneously. In the end they will just use this as an excuse for tighter control further fueling inevitable conflict in the future.

• Advertisement

Live from HK airport

This could get very serious

Sky News: https://news.sky.com/story/live-protesters-overwhelm-police-at-hong-kong-airport-11784563

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The only way this makes a meaningful impact is if you have 5 or 6 Chinese regions in revolt simultaneously. In the end they will just use this as an excuse for tighter control further fueling inevitable conflict in the future.

You don't get the difference between HK and China! It's that they are not Chinese that gives them the freedom to protest. As far as the protesters are concerned it's this or be no different to Beijing or Shenzhen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

pearcider wrote: »
    Incredible that people would take the side of the communist dictatorship in this.

They remove organs from healthy living people without anesthetic and sell them.

well hopefully they only use batons and not guns.

well hopefully they only use batons and not guns.

It will get to a stage where they will have to use guns,
    Tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of protesters who are not afraid of batons ,
    As the chap from sky said there is a hardcore of protestors who are happy to go toe to toe with the police ,but they need the rest of the protesters to back them up ,
    I'd love to see the protesters grab and disarm the Chinese cops and send them out the doors

There is a thing with Chinese people. I think its cultural.They rarely go against their leaders but when they do its ALL at once. They seem to be able to have a unity in revolt that others can't manage. Its like an organized harmony. Every single person joins it and they don't back down.

Its why the chinese govt fears it so much.

Had Tiananmen square happened in Ireland it would never have lasted so long.

Its like one billion tank men turning on you at once.

They won't give in. Its cultural. It would be dishonoring. And Chinese people are just don't give up.

Saddest thing is check out the comments so many chinese people saying the screen is blank. :(

There is a thing with Chinese people. I think its cultural.They rarely go against their leaders but when they do its ALL at once.

Had Tiananmen square happened in Ireland it would never have lasted so long.

Like Russia ,like north Korea and China they have total control over their populations they will have zero issues deploying the army Against it people or disappear people en mass this causes fear ,

And according to the Chinese Tiananmen square didn't happen at all ,it's even a criminal offence to try find information about it in China ,
    Protesters in HK are getting 10 year prison sentences for just turning up at a protests it's essentially the stasi secret police on steroids

Gatling wrote: »
    Like Russia ,like north Korea and China they have total control over their populations they will have zero issues deploying the army Against it people or disappear people en mass this causes fear ,

And according to the Chinese Tiananmen square didn't happen at all ,it's even a criminal offence to try find information about it in China ,
    Protesters in HK are getting 10 year prison sentences for just turning up at a protests it's essentially the stasi secret police on steroids

Unlike Russia. China outnumbers its army by far.

The only thing allowing control for the govt is simply lack of ability for Chinese people to communicate freely in the media and among themselves.

If they could....it would be over. No one can control a population that big.

I wish there was some way we could help them.

• Advertisement

I wish there was some way we could help them.
    Me too. Its a horrible situation to watch.

Advertisement