Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sega Megadrive mini

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

DaveyDave wrote: »
    €65 with shipping, €70 in Smyths. Don't seem to be going for bargain prices yet.

Well unlike the PS classic it was not a total disaster so might be another year, I would say 60 is a good bargain price for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Can anyone pm where I can find a Megadrive rom pack ?

I did the project lunar mod, loaded 10 games, Mortal Kombat 3 is pixilated unfortunately. The other 9 games work great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,426 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wow, they actually have loads of you click 'view all'.

Ciderman, you'd look great in this;

https://www.zavvi.com/clothing/sega-golden-axe-unisex-sweatshirt-black/12378055.html

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

God damn it, I don't really wear videogame tshirts but couldn't resist that Revenge of Shinobi one, came in at 22 euro delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Forgot to post Zaavi recently, lots of merch and vinyls too, some from Mondo Media like Silent Hill 2 at normal prices! Forget import VAT and eBay prices.

Also just to note when loading ROMs on the Mini, I believe it's best to stick to 100 max as it can lock up the interface. Handy that there's plenty of room on board so no need for external space unless you're loading CD ROMs.

Master of the Universe

sugarman wrote: »
    Id have bought it and one or 2 others myself if only the cover art was on the front of the shirts, looks a bit stupid on the back with a small logo on the front.

Would have been nicer the other way around, with the small logo on the neck instead.

Funnily enough, the reason I caved and bought it was because it was a back print. :D

Looks a little bit more understated than a big print on the front.

So what are the must have megadrive games I need to install on my mini ?

I have put 13 odd on it so far, Earthworm jim 2, Micro Machines, Streets of Rage 1 and 2, Mortal Kombat 3 (some issues with it), Aladdin, The lion King, Jurassic Park, Moon Walker, Outrun, Robocop vs Terminator, Revenge of Shinobi, Sonic 3.

Master of the Universe

Few of my favourites off the top of my head that you haven't mentioned;

Rocket Knight Adventures
    Gunstar Heroes
    Ranger X
    Phantasy Star IV
    Ghouls n Ghosts
    Mercs
    Road Rash 2
    Alien Soldier
    Contra Hard Corps
    Pulseman
    Vectorman
    Comix Zone
    Granada

Could give the two new games, Ultracore and Xenocrisis a go too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Xenocrisis is worth a punt and can be had legally in digital format as well as physical copies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

mondeo wrote: »
    So what are the must have megadrive games I need to install on my mini ?

I have put 13 odd on it so far, Earthworm jim 2, Micro Machines, Streets of Rage 1 and 2, Mortal Kombat 3 (some issues with it), Aladdin, The lion King, Jurassic Park, Moon Walker, Outrun, Robocop vs Terminator, Revenge of Shinobi, Sonic 3.

Zombies Ate My Neighbours (but I can't get it to work on mine)
    Cool Spot
    The Flintstones
    Quackshot

Last 3 personal favourites but decent platformers I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Streets of Rage 3 Jap version with the English translation....the definitive version of the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wow, they actually have loads of you click 'view all'.

Ciderman, you'd look great in this;

https://www.zavvi.com/clothing/sega-golden-axe-unisex-sweatshirt-black/12378055.html

Skirting close to a lifetime ban there... So very close

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Skirting close to a lifetime ban there... So very close

The cheek! I'm just trying to dress you in Sega's finest! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Where is the Gunstar Heroes t-shirt.

At the front is the box art with a review quote: 'Unarguably and officially the best megadrive game ever made, fight me' - retr0gamer

At the back: '6/10 **** sandwich' - Edge issue 1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Where is the Gunstar Heroes t-shirt.

At the front is the box art with a review quote: 'Unarguably and officially the best megadrive game ever made, fight me' - retr0gamer

At the back: '6/10 **** sandwich' - Edge issue 1

Never let the pain go Retr0, it's what will sustain over the lonely years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Some reccomendations for people installing roms... James Pond 3, Mega Turrican and +1 on Quackshot

I have decided to take the guts out of my mini and put them into a real Megadrive model 1 that I have. My model 1 doesn't display a picture anymore and I couldn't find out the reason, so it is going to be reborn with mini guts ! I don't think it's a sin doing this to an original model 1 since it is genuine Sega hardware going into it, not a Rasberry Pi or anything... I just need to get myself a new hot glue gun, 2 USB extension cables to connect them to the old game pad ports and extend them to the mini board, make a little bracket inside my model 1 to sit the mini board onto. Straight forward enough. I'll post a few pics as I go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I have decided to take the guts out of my mini and put them into a real Megadrive model 1 that I have. My model 1 doesn't display a picture anymore and I couldn't find out the reason, so it is going to be reborn with mini guts ! I don't think it's a sin doing this to an original model 1 since it is genuine Sega hardware going into it, not a Rasberry Pi or anything... I just need to get myself a new hot glue glue, 2 USB extension cables to connect them to the old game pad ports and extend them to the mini board, make a little bracket inside my model 1 to sit the mini board onto. Straight forward enough. I'll post a few pics as I go along.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Cool idea

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    I was thinking of doing the same if the mini ever goes for cheap, I love mine too much now to pull it apart and the portability is so convenient.

If you're handy with wiring / soldering, you could probably hack at the org main board and rescue the power & rest switches. Wire them up to the mini, along with the power LED.

I am going to wire up the original power switch and reset button so it will work as it should. A little bit of micro soldering involved, nothing overly complicated.

I don't think it's a sin doing this to an original model 1 since it is genuine Sega hardware going into it

Not a sin at all, it's a great idea to bring life back to an old non working Megadrive. I wouldn't say though that it's 'original Sega hardware', the Mini is using an off the shelf Allwinner-based Zuiki Z7213 system-on-a-chip....the days of bespoke Sega hardware are long gone unfortunately :( Still though, and again, it's a nice idea!

Inviere wrote: »
    Not a sin at all, it's a great idea to bring life back to an old non working Megadrive. I wouldn't say though that it's 'original Sega hardware', the Mini is using an off the shelf Allwinner-based Zuiki Z7213 system-on-a-chip....the days of bespoke Sega hardware are long gone unfortunately :( Still though, and again, it's a nice idea!

Isn't there SEGA branding on the mini's board ? I haven't actually checked. I will open it up tonight and see what I'm dealing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Really got into Road Rash 2 this evening, great game and can't believe how well it holds up.

Isn't there SEGA branding on the mini's board ? I haven't actually checked. I will open it up tonight and see what I'm dealing with.

There may be, but it's using an SOC, so if Sega designed anything it's just the pcb itself...AllWinner designed the SOC. The most Sega thing about the Mini is the M2 involvement on the software side.

The original megadrive had a 3rd party CPU, The Motorola 68000 it used was in a few other consoles and computers, the Commodore Amiga for example. Would that be in the same boat as the AllWinner stuff ?

Is the SEGA 6 button controller worth getting for the this ? I saw them for 17.99 in a well known toy store ? I'm putting some SNES roms on my mini using retroarch and don't think the 3 button stock pad will be any good for SNES games..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Is the SEGA 6 button controller worth getting for the this ? I saw them for 17.99 in a well known toy store ? I'm putting some SNES roms on my mini using retroarch and don't think the 3 button stock pad will be any good for SNES games..

Yeah I got one out of Argos and it's my preferred controller. Dunno how similar it is to the original but the weight feels good, buttons are nice.

The original megadrive had a 3rd party CPU, The Motorola 68000 it used was in a few other consoles and computers, the Commodore Amiga for example. Would that be in the same boat as the AllWinner stuff ?

The original Megadrive was a console conceived of and designed by Sega, obviously using some 3rd party components, but the coding, bios, and schematics was all theirs. Everything was configured as per Sega's will....it was bespoke hardware, unique, and very much a Sega product. The Mini on the other hand, uses an SoC (system on a chip)...basically a tiny computer in one small chip. Sega, have used this as a base, and the software flashed to the chip allows it to emulate the Sega Megadrive pretty well. This SoC isn't manufactured by Sega, but by AllWinner instead. You could potentially use that same chip to run other systems too (maybe this has already been done, I'm not sure).

It's splitting heirs on my part really, I'd call the Mini a 1st party Sega product...I just wouldn't label it as original Sega hardware. I think though that the Megadrive Mini is a fine example of how to do a Mini correctly, and your own project is a fantastic idea for bringing back life to an old broken Megadrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

All systems use chips from other companies. For example the SNES had Sony chips in it.

Advertisement